Options

Comments

• DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,176 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Milk Jugz said:
    jackstar0 said:
    Well, I was planning to save 720 CP to finish either Goblin or Hulk. Now I can potentially get both for less than half the hoarding (hoping ol' Banner comes up as a featured). Goblin hoses me out of the gate though, since I have no existing hoard and mine is naturally at 2/5/5.

But I don't mind the wait vs what I consider overpaying for a middling (at best) 5*. Nevermind that the only reason I'm considering Hulk is because I'm a fan and really believe they might give him a rework/buff at some point.
    That sucks on Goblin, gonna be a long wait if they stick to the first power, second, third order....
    I'm confused ... his black cover is the one being offered right now, which is the one you need ... right?

This seems like a nice option, but I'm with others thinking this will likely mean the end of Latest swaps by CS. I'm just glad I cracked my hoard this past week and put in a request to swap Daredevil covers, which I'm in the process of and should be honored. 

Now I'm trying to decide if I want to do one last mini-pull before 5pidey leaves Latest. He was the one I really wanted to cover and only got to 2/5/0. I figured if I pulled again and got a green I would request a swap to red to get at least one cover in that color. But now that's running the risk of them not doing the swaps. 

The latest email I got from them included the reminder that swaps were a limited feature that could be ended anytime, to take advantage of it sooner rather then later, and that once they stop doing swaps there will be no exceptions. 

Seeing as how this feature was (to my knowledge) never formally announced, I wonder if they'll announce when it stops. Or if one day we send in a request and they just say, "We don't do this anymore, but I'd like to direct you to the Heroes for Hire store for your 5* cover purchasing needs."
  • DarthDeVo
    Options
    OJSP said:
    DarthDeVo said:
    Milk Jugz said:
    jackstar0 said:
    Goblin hoses me out of the gate though, since I have no existing hoard and mine is naturally at 2/5/5.
    That sucks on Goblin, gonna be a long wait if they stick to the first power, second, third order....
    I'm confused ... his black cover is the one being offered right now, which is the one you need ... right? 
    He was saying that he doesn't have the CPs anymore.
    D'oh, I missed the part about him saying he has no hoard. 

Reading comprehension is fundamental! 
  • Beer40
    Beer40 Posts: 826 Critical Contributor
    Options
    DarthDeVo said:
    Milk Jugz said:
    jackstar0 said:
    Well, I was planning to save 720 CP to finish either Goblin or Hulk. Now I can potentially get both for less than half the hoarding (hoping ol' Banner comes up as a featured). Goblin hoses me out of the gate though, since I have no existing hoard and mine is naturally at 2/5/5.

But I don't mind the wait vs what I consider overpaying for a middling (at best) 5*. Nevermind that the only reason I'm considering Hulk is because I'm a fan and really believe they might give him a rework/buff at some point.

This seems like a nice option, but I'm with others thinking this will likely mean the end of Latest swaps by CS. I'm just glad I cracked my hoard this past week and put in a request to swap Daredevil covers, which I'm in the process of and should be honored. 

Now I'm trying to decide if I want to do one last mini-pull before 5pidey leaves Latest. He was the one I really wanted to cover and only got to 2/5/0. I figured if I pulled again and got a green I would request a swap to red to get at least one cover in that color. But now that's running the risk of them not doing the swaps. 

The latest email I got from them included the reminder that swaps were a limited feature that could be ended anytime, to take advantage of it sooner rather then later, and that once they stop doing swaps there will be no exceptions. 

Seeing as how this feature was (to my knowledge) never formally announced, I wonder if they'll announce when it stops. Or if one day we send in a request and they just say, "We don't do this anymore, but I'd like to direct you to the Heroes for Hire store for your 5* cover purchasing needs."
    Except we've been led to believe this is just untrue. That's the part that sucks.
  • Milk Jugz
    Milk Jugz Posts: 1,122 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    @DarthDeVo

That disclaimer in the swap email has always been there. Every swap I've done and same with my alliance mates.
  • DarthDeVo
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Milk Jugz said:
    @DarthDeVo

That disclaimer in the swap email has always been there. Every swap I've done and same with my alliance mates.
     Yep, that standard disclaimer has been there the two other times I've done swaps.

I figured it was relevant in this discussion because we're specifically talking about this service potentially ending. 

To my knowledge, the swap policy was never formally announced, but they've ALWAYS included that disclaimer, and if I'm not mistaken, whenever a D3 employee mentions it in the forum, they include some form of said disclaimer. So it's not like we can't say we weren't warned.

By the way, someone correct me if they did announce the swap policy at some point.

What I'm saying is I'm wondering if there was no announcement when the policy started, then will there also be no announcement when it ends. 
  • Milk Jugz
    Options
    I don't remember any announcement, but I've only been on the forums since March of this year. I learned of it through my alliance. I figure it will quietly end at some point.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    There never was a formal announcement that swaps were a thing, no.
  • tanis3303
    tanis3303 Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Well, y'all just lost a sale from me...

Goblin is featured, and he's been of the older 5*s that always looked fun to play. Mine is 5/4/1. Cover on offer? Black. Would have bought either other color for 250 CP in a heartbeat...
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,338 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The swap policy has never been formally announced.  It is just known after knowledge spread through the community.

I really hope that the store is not a replacement for swapping.  A true swapping in game mechanism should replace the CS swaps.

I just blew my mini hoard and currently have a 0/47 streak in Latest. Out of 70 pulls, I had 4 5*’s and one was a dupe (that’s a 5.7% rate).  I realize that there are no guarantees, this is within the range of possible outcomes, etc etc.  Still feels awful.

We all know that there is absolutely no promise that you will get the character you want.  So the value of the store is in giving you that character.

A swap doesn’t say you get the character you want.  It just says, well, here’s a color you can use in the character you pulled.  There is a big difference in those two things.  I pulled enough covers to champ Doc Ock (I even used a swap, because why not?), while missing completing (so far) everyone else around him.

To me, the swap service is as close as they get to a streak breaker (which all players would welcome, of course).  If my next 5 is yet another Spidey Green (which will be my 7th) and there’s no swap?  I won’t threaten to quit, but that would be really frustrating.  If there WAS a streak breaker mechanism, that could alleviate the end of CS swaps as well.

I do believe that cutting off CS swaps, with no actual swap mechanism in place, in the middle of all the other stuff going on (5* boosts, wins based PVP, CP out of progression) would see more players leaving.
  • Lucifier
    Lucifier Posts: 244 Tile Toppler
    Options
    bluewolf said:
    I just blew my mini hoard and currently have a 0/47 streak in Latest. Out of 70 pulls, I had 4 5*’s and one was a dupe (that’s a 5.7% rate).  I realize that there are no guarantees, this is within the range of possible outcomes, etc etc.  Still feels awful.

yesterday or the day before, I pulled 15 LT, got 0 5*, that's a 0% rate, :(
  • Avalancher
    Avalancher Posts: 125 Tile Toppler
    Options
    The 5 stars in the Heroes for Hire store is a wonderful thing.  I was down to zero CP yesterday and I have gained 63 so far in 2 days. At this rate I will surely have the 500 in time for Thor to be essential if I do not get lucky enough to pull him.  Then each new 5 star will be the same, I can win enough that I will never need a buy club to assure the 5 star essential.

Thank you D3!!!
  • ThePunishers
    ThePunishers Posts: 50 Match Maker
    Options
    @Brigby

can we buy a cover multiple times for 250 cp or is it a 1x purchase?  I would gladly spend my hoard and and level up my strange to 550.  
  • DarthDeVo
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Bowgentle said:
    Thanks for confirming that. Unfortunately, since it was never formally announced, I could easily see them stopping swaps abruptly without notice in a similar fashion. I really hope it doesn't go that way. 

It seems they've been looking for a way to stop these swaps for awhile, while also discouraging hoarding, and this might be the answer. Unless I'm mistaken, this is the first time they've let us directly buy a specific 5* cover, even if we don't own that cover already. That's a petty big shift. 

I could see it playing out like this: The new status quo remains for at least a month or six weeks. This will allow a few cycles of Latest and Classic characters to cycle through so they can observe buying habits. Then they'll announce the feature as being permanent while at the same time ending swaps. 

Obviously, there could be some slight variations to this. They could end swaps tomorrow with no announcement. They could announce some tweaks to the store, like offering a way to choose your own cover color, limited to one buy each time a character is featured. 

No matter which way they go, I hope they give us are least some forewarning if/when swaps end. It may not be perfectly ideal for some of us that are hoarding; maybe you only get to do 200 pulls instead of 300, or you have to settle for pulling 5pidey/Daredevil/Gambit (or Daredevil/Gambit/Thor). But a warning would be better than stopping it cold. At least you could get some pulls and swaps in if you need them rather than none at all. 

No swaps definitely makes hoarding and cashing everything in at once a much more precarious proposition, that's for sure. 
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Bowgentle said:
    Philly484 said:
    Jarvind said:
    Philly484 said:
    Takes away CP from vets, then introduces a good change in a way, but now the New players will be crying cause they don't have the CP they need. Interesting to say the least. 
    Who are these new players who were hitting 1200 in PVP regularly? I need them to teach me their ways.

As far as the change goes, I'm down with it. I have a bunch of classic characters at 11-12 covers that I would absolutely shell out a few hundred CP to finish.
    Well seeing as how 1200 is irrelevant now in PVP for CP, I doubt it would be hard for 3* and 4*players to hit that at lower, but most probably just do their 40wins and stop. 
    Haha you think most people actually go for 40 wins?

In any case, this isn't a bad change, but it's a minor one.  The value of the HfH store isn't enough to see people buying new 5s for value; it's only good for the occasional classic character, and that's a revenue stream that will die out eventually.

The way this is set up, the average player will never use it at all, because the average player doesn't hoard.  For example, I could imagine spending 250 CP to get my first red cover for my 0/5/3 IM46, but since I don't hoard, I'm never going to have the kind of slush to actually do it.  The problem isn't that it isn't an acceptable value, but that it isn't a good enough value to offer the motivation to save for it.
    I don't even...
    You don't need to "hoard" for 250 CP.
    That's like two weeks tops, even for a very average player.

PVE CL9 gives you 40 CP progression every 3/4 days plus 2 CP daily (5 if you have the 5* essential) - let's say that's 70 prog plus 14 every week.
    DDQ another 14 weekly.
    Surely you can make 10 CP every PVP, that's another 30 CP per week.

So a very, very conservative estimate without champ rewards, PVP placement, PVE placement, daily supply and other sources gives you 128 CP per week, so you can buy a classic cover every two weeks.
    Average + CL9 = you have fuzzy math.

CL7 is probably a better pin, at 30 CP, if you're talking about an average player. 
  • Hilk
    Hilk Posts: 131 Tile Toppler
    Options
    So I may have missed it over the last 7 pages... @Brigby ... is this a separate hero’s for hire, or what does this mean for the DDP... will the 5*s be joining the crash of the Titans cycle?
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Hilk said:
    So I may have missed it over the last 7 pages... @Brigby ... is this a separate hero’s for hire, or what does this mean for the DDP... will the 5*s be joining the crash of the Titans cycle?
    Same store, multiple options on the bottom. It's there right now, you can see Wolverine and Goblin. 5*s will not be joining the crash cycle.
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The needless delay on this being a method to combat the idiocy of endgame being gated by rng is so pointless, either allow people to choose 1 of 3 covers each time a character comes up in the rotation or better still bring in the long overdue colourless covers that should have been there for 5* from the beginning.
  • spatenfloot
    spatenfloot Posts: 660 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Bowgentle said:
    Are swaps only for the 5 stars or will they swap dupe 4 stars too?
  • Milk Jugz
    Options
    Bowgentle said:
    Are swaps only for the 5 stars or will they swap dupe 4 stars too?
    Only 5* and only from Latest
  • vinsensual
    vinsensual Posts: 458 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I doubt they'd ever announce the formal end to an unofficial policy.  Not because of anything being unspoken, but the handful of people that handle CS would not want the nightmare of all the prospected swaps happening that day.