Updates to S.H.I.E.L.D. Training (10/17/17)

Options

Comments

• roberts_2
    roberts_2 Posts: 126 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Hahahaha, Rogue +lv.120 for second line battles, i assume she need more level for third line. Sutil way from devs to spend iso on new released chars. No way, i pass.
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    roberts_2 said:
    Hahahaha, Rogue +lv.120 for second line battles, i assume she need more level for third line. Sutil way from devs to spend iso on new released chars. No way, i pass.
    Third line battles are 209.  

And a nice tip I heard from my LINE friends...  When the season starts and the data push happens, Rogue will be in packs.  Hold onto those Training Tokens until after that data push.
  • roberts_2
    Options
    Good tip, i save my tokens until then, thanks for the info :D
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    VASH1456 said:
    Thanks for making an event that caters only to the top 20% of the players. "Here's a new event that requires you to have the 4* character that just came out, fully covered and levelled to play" LMMFAO.
    20%?  LOL  more like 0.1%
  • Yoik
    Yoik Posts: 251 Mover and Shaker
    Options

Just so I get it straight. After doing all I can on the Shield event so far because my Rogue is at 115. I can’t do her nodes ( the ones on the left ) because im too low. I cant do the nodes on the right where she is part of a team because she is too low, which means I cannot get the NC token. Which means I cannot do the NC nodes on the bottom not because he’s too low but because he doesn’t exist yet because Rogue is too low.

I assume next month the Shield event will need NC being at a fairly hefty level too.

Its your game D3 and you can do as you please I suppose but it does seem like a bit of a low blow eh. I’m well into 4 star land soon to be 5 and I play daily. I feel lucky to of got the covers for Rogue I have so far but there will be a lot of people unable to complete this. Was it thought through? Or is the intended audience for those particular nodes purely the small % of people either lucky enough or maybe brought their way to that point?

It seems like a bit of a middle finger tbh.

• roberts_2
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Yoik said:

Its your game D3 and you can do as you please I suppose

Sorry, i can't resist :D

• jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Why would they wait a whole month to put SHIELD training on again?  They could do it again in a fortnight for the next 4* release, long before Nightcrawler is available in heroic/legendary tokens.
  • StevO-J
    StevO-J Posts: 746 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Above all, I know this event is basically a bonus thing, as in it could just as well have been never run again and nobody would have cared too much because we didn't get any extra covers before this (I know, Ant-Man and Cho had something similar, but that was an exception to the rule in my opinion).

But after being slightly disappointed after the first iteration I quickly thought "Ok, good for those that get a ton of covers for the new character. I'm clearly not intended to get to the LT and I'm fine with that. I'll take my (Rogue) cover, Iso and 2 CP, thanks!".

Seeing the announcement that something was going to change was something to look forward to, but seeing those changes in effect is very disappointing to say the least. I play this game quite a bit and I got a grand total of 3 covers for Rogue, but to have a shot at a Nightcrawler cover I now need 10 covers for her? Wow, I can understand you want to push people a little to get them to spend a little, but this feels just plain wrong, and I really can't see this working. Since you can get statistics on how many people use OML and such I'd be very interested to know how many people actually have a lvl.209+ Rogue.

In the end I'll take my Iso from this event and be content with it I guess, but I can't help but feel this is not a step in the right direction. Please reconsider this event before running it again in the future.
  • Benjermain
    Benjermain Posts: 31 Just Dropped In
    Options
    The last time I was on the forums was 2 years ago for the great anniversary debacle of 2015.  Nothing the game has done in the meantime has made me annoyed enough to post.  Congratulations D3, you did it again!

2 years ago the game rolled out the Galactus event for the anniversary and no one thought it was fun, and when we complained we heard that we were playing the game wrong and we were supposed to lose in that event (this was when Galactus killed you in 3-4 turns no matter what).  This resulted in a 30 page gripe thread about the event, but also about the way we felt talked down to and taken for granted.  And again, this was during the anniversary.

No one likes hearing, "You are supposed to lose."  And perhaps the only thing worse is, "You can't even play."  And that's what I'm getting from Shield Training.  I'm a day 1248, level 81, 118 roster spot player.  And I can play THREE nodes.  

I enjoyed anniversary this year.  I've enjoyed the game for the most part the last 4 years.  But running Shield Training this way is a mistake.  Offering an event that players are locked out of is never going to be a popular choice.  But especially players who have been around since the beginning.  Not rostering IW and Elektra is on me, I've had plenty of chances to add them.  But I have 2 covers on my Rogue.  I'm a daily player who spent actual money on the game, I don't buy that that's my fault.

• n25philly
    n25philly Posts: 426 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Killians8 said:
    n25philly said:
    Looking forward to getting 0 Nightcrawler covers just like I got 0 Rouge's the last time. :(
    If you can't achieve Top 100 to get that first cover, then you're either not willing to play hard enough to achieve that or...you're roster isn't ready to make the cut. If it's the latter, we've all experienced that and nobody gets to skip it. It's part of the achievement structure of this game.

For many months I could not play 3* and 4* essential nodes either because I didn't yet have the character from previous events or didn't have the spare HP to roster them when I did get them. That's part of the game structure. Every decision you make has rewards and consequences. You can't always have everything.

After sticking with it, I now have the ability to get Top 100 every character release if a decent life time schedule allows and I put a certain about into it.

I was never as frustrated with not being able to go faster than I wanted to because my expectations weren't unrealistic.

Those of you who are really frustrated with these situations, the best thing you can do is evaluate your expectations. "Expectations are premeditated disappointments." The more unrealistic they are, the more pain you're causing yourself.

By the way, my Rogue is three covers (I'll be very limited), my Elektra is five covers (lvl 120 is all I can achieve), and my Invisible Woman is champed. So I'm not someone who isn't also missing out a lot on these rewards. I'm not as irked by it (some irked) because I don't expect to be able to have it all. Spending the money is a choice. I never have and I don't feel forced to.
    Too cutthroat, I don't have time for that.  Just a shame to have the special event and all and come up empty.  I would have been very happy with a cover or two.  Could care less about completing this whole thing.  Normally I could care less about new releases but being a big x-men fan I am pretty anxious about the new characters.  Not the end of the world, I started hording during the anniversary and next season when nightcrawler enters the tokens I'll open up the horde to hopefully get both him and Rouge.
  • TriSentinel
    TriSentinel Posts: 134 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Rank 88
    Days played 828
    24 champed four stars
    Locked out of SHIELD TRAINING…

• stryke
    stryke Posts: 107 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Like Benjermain I've not posted here in years, but this is just ridiculous. Asking for a 209 character who has only recently come out is beyond silly.

I was really happy when I got my one Rogue cover from SHIELD training last time and thought it was a neat idea. This though not so much.  
  • roboto0007
    roboto0007 Posts: 16 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Fantastic job creating another event that rewards pay-to-win cash patrons only.  If you worked as hard at game balance as you do at monetization we might actually have a decent game.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2017
    Options
    So the first run used 3 older 4* that needed to be leveled now you need a leveled 4* that just came out.  I have a 1,1,3 rogue that can only go to level 115.  This means I was too 100 in PVE new release top 100 alliance, earned 1 cover in the last sim, 1 cover in progression for PVP and pulled a cover from the store and I am locked out.  D3 you are really on a roll when it comes to pissing off your player base.  You upset high end players with the win base PVP and upset everyone else who don’t have a covered rogue. This is suppose to be a fun event and giving out a new 4* for a little bit of work not letsc make an event only 2% of the population can even come close to finishing.  Look at growth industry and the cho event as events that were praised but the majority of players.  You had the right formula from previous events.  We don’t need “new coke” the old style is perfect the way it was.
  • Ctaggart
    Ctaggart Posts: 49 Just Dropped In
    Options
    This is another way to piss off dedicated players who don't have thousands of dollars to throw away.
  • Ouroboros9999
    Ouroboros9999 Posts: 139 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Kind of lame if you don't have a 209 Rogue.
  • abmoraz
    abmoraz Posts: 712 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Killians8 said:
    n25philly said:
    Looking forward to getting 0 Nightcrawler covers just like I got 0 Rouge's the last time. :(
    If you can't achieve Top 100 to get that first cover, then you're either not willing to play hard enough to achieve that or...you're roster isn't ready to make the cut. If it's the latter, we've all experienced that and nobody gets to skip it. It's part of the achievement structure of this game.

This statement infuriates me every time I read it.  The options you gave him are myopic.  Let's examine both of them:

Option A: He's not playing hard enough.  Let's assume he plays harder.  He gets in the top 100.  Now that just means there is someone else that finished at 101 and didn't get the cover and that person is upset.  So that person then plays harder and yet a different person is on the outside looking in.  You haven't solved anything with this option.  All you have done is changed the name at the top of the post.  No matter how hard anyone player or multiple players try, there will always be someone on the outside looking in.  You've just caused an increase in effort to get the same prize.  Congratulations!  You invented inflation.

Option B: His roster just isn't good enough to place.  This one is a bit more realistic, however, it has a nasty implication as well.  As he improves, everyone around him is improving as well.  Because placement rewards are comparative between him and his peers, nothing changes.  So he has to improve, but he has to improve at a rate faster than those he is directly competing against.  If he does, then he can move up into the top 100.  If he can't, he's forever locked out just because he started the game later than those he's in the same groupings as.  The most realistic outcome here is for him to hope people quit the game or that more people join after him so that he has the more advanced roster.   Again, this doesn't solve the issue, it just changes who is getting ****.

Note: I'm not mad at you, Killians8, just the theory that placement rewards are a viable way for the player base as a whole to get better.  They are a zero-sum game.  For one player to get better, it necessitates another to not get better.  Telling people to "Get Gud" doesn't help, as it just changes who is getting **** and doesn't fix the underlying issue of scarcity of a required resource.  The real solutions are to either:
         A. remove the artificial scarcity (i.e.: more progression rewards and less placement)
    or B. remove the utterly arbitrary artificial barrier to playing the event.  Remove the tinykittying level requirement.  If you have the cover than you can try.  Who cares if it's level 1 or level 500??
  • veny
    veny Posts: 834 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Not only level requirement remained intact, but they even put Roque as a required character, making top rewards completely Pay2Win...
    So, instead of rewarding players who actually have rich, colorful roster (by this i mean different characters, not all of them almost maxed out), they are actually rewarding playing players who are funding their insane RNG policy...
    If you want to reward paying players, increase that god damn HP/ISO rewards per purchase, because the values were already outdated in 2015!

Not complaining - still, i can get some extra ISO from this additional event - every chance to grind something more is good for me. But i am not extra happy either...
  • veny
    veny Posts: 834 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Once again, an additional event, offered above and beyond the usual, is met with derision here.

Just like literally everything else in the game (after the intro), if you can't complete it now, keep playing and building, and your time will come.

At least MPQ offers these avenues. Not all rosterbuilding games in this model do.
    Yeah, i am sure next time my 30 championed 4*s will be very useful when newcomer 4*, that i barely have, will be mandatory, same as it is Roque now... :dizzy:

Grinding for future is one thing, but requiring character that is not even in LT yet? Dude, that is Pay2WIn strategy and you cant do NOTHING about it - you cant grind it, you cant get it from tokens, from events... you need to buy it.
  • abmoraz
    abmoraz Posts: 712 Critical Contributor
    Options
    veny said:
    Not only level requirement remained intact, but they even put Roque as a required character, making top rewards completely Pay2Win...
    The irony is, it's not even PtW.  You can't pay to improve the powers until you actually get the powers.  Someone who only has 1 or 2 colors for rogue can't even pay to get her high enough to complete the mission.