Post-vaulting: How are 3x token odds for latest working out for you?

Options

Comments

• Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Ruinate said:
    I have 33 4* champs and only one over 285.  I feel that with my widely built roster I can compete better than if I had a handful of elite level characters in the mid 300s.  Why? Because I usually have 2-3 characters boosted and can rely on those different characters each week to hit 900 PVP/top5 PVE and continue to grow my roster.  I would say with my roster despite no 300 level toons, I have officially “transitioned”.

Vaulting was all about helping people transition to the 4* tier. With this current system you can still do that just fine.  My 3s are pretty much unusable so I’d say I transitioned. 

What you are talking about is what I believe was the unintended side effect of vaulting which was almost skipping the 4* transition and propelling people into 5* MMR/Scaling. By having 3-6 nearly max-Champed 4s you can see and probably beat low level Champed 5*.

TLDR: You can absolutely use this new system to transition to 4* land but cannot leap into 5* land like you could under vaulting. We can argue which is better for the health of the game all day. I know for me if I’d of splurged on tokens during vaulting (as many did) and kept having to use the same 4 characters and kept having to slog through 5* teams I’d be much less happy.
    You say a lot of good things but the problem is your same arguments can be used for pro vaulting when using personal anecdotes.  I purposely didn't include mine because this is an argument that will never end and there's no clear winner.  But perhaps I should have so you can better understand that we are in the exact same situation and the only difference is that I play at tier above you.

We all know the 5* progression is slow.  It's not only slow, but there also aren't that many 5* characters.  I am using the same 5* characters to slog through the same 5* characters.  Vaulting made 4* characters very strong.  A max champ 4 doesn't just "probably beat" 5* teams.  They obliterate them.  Max champing even with vaulting and bonus heroes were difficult to do, but getting a 4* to be close in power with 5's was extremely simple. This gave us 5* players more variety.  The same variety you want.   

Really the entire vaulting argument is moot when vaulting is over and we now have this "good compromise".  What I don't like is when people state something as fact when it isn't.  You can't say for sure that what we have now is better for the game when 5*'s are the end game just because it's better for you, a player who hasn't reached the end game.  A smooth transition into a tinykitty end game isn't exactly good.  
    My preference went: 3x Odds > Dilution > Vaulting.

I agree that there are pros and cons to all three, but I prefer to build my roster wide rather than tall.  I understand that is a personal preference and not everyone wants that.  There are many gamers who just want the current meta/most powerful and nothing else.  They want the fast-track to the end-game.  I respect that, even if it is not my cup of tea.  Especially since all characters are needed at one time or another.  I did the same thing in 3* land.  I didn't just pump up IM40 and Strange.  To this day, I make my bonus 3s my lowest leveled characters and build evenly.

I think many of your issues speak to the 5* tier's many many problems which is a whole different topic entirely.  Like I said, vaulting allowed many players to catapult past the 4* tier straight into 5* land.  I don't think that is good for the health of the game.  It also makes 75% of the 4* tier obsolete (because you'll never obtain them) which isn't good either.  Vaulting was good for jumping past the 4* tier into the 5 (maybe prematurely? maybe faster than the developers wanted?)  while the current system provides a nice transition into the 4* tier instead.  I am NOT looking forward to 6*s.  Like... not at ALL.  A side effect of slowing the race to the finish line down, is that they can stave of having to introduce a whole new tier because  there is no where else to go.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,477 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    6* are already here.  They are call 550 5*.  If you want a taste of what 6* play will be like, just go play the 5* essentials.  Scl9 5* essentials at level 515 will give you a very realistic approximation of a baby champed 6*.

• Ruinate
    Ruinate Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Daredevil217 said: 
    I agree that there are pros and cons to all three, but I prefer to build my roster wide rather than tall.  I understand that is a personal preference and not everyone wants that.  There are many gamers who just want the current meta/most powerful and nothing else.  They want the fast-track to the end-game.  I respect that, even if it is not my cup of tea.  Especially since all characters are needed at one time or another.  I did the same thing in 3* land.  I didn't just pump up IM40 and Strange.  To this day, I make my bonus 3s my lowest leveled characters and build evenly.
    Lol, you didn't read what I wrote at all.  I too want a wide roster but the existence of 5* characters changed my roster from wide to very narrow.  That is because the difference in power between a champed 5 and a champed 4 is too great.  I never said anything about racing to the end game, but that vaulting allowed 4s and 5s to be interchangeable thus making your roster wide.  Unless you plan on never transitioning to the 5* tier, you quickly realize that your large army of barely champed midgets become extremely underwhelming.  I think that is a point that a lot of the anti-vaulting folk who scream variety are ignoring.
  • Spudgutter
    Spudgutter Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    Options

I agree that there are pros and cons to all three, but I prefer to build my roster wide rather than tall.  I understand that is a personal preference and not everyone wants that.  There are many gamers who just want the current meta/most powerful and nothing else.  They want the fast-track to the end-game.  I respect that, even if it is not my cup of tea
    I just re-read your initial post.  Not sure why it didn't click at first, but now it has.  You have a ton of cp and lt's.  So right from the get go, you probably didnt even open anything during the vaulting period!  Then, you mentioned that you hit 900 in pvp, and top 5 in pve for cl8.  No wonder your 4 stars are still progressing.  Your whole argument and position are invalid, in my opinion. I regret getting into an internet discussion with someone whose opinion is not only tainted by their preconceived notions, but also lack of actual experience of the thing you are railing against.  

Welcome to the internet, everyone.
  • Daredevil217
    Options

I agree that there are pros and cons to all three, but I prefer to build my roster wide rather than tall.  I understand that is a personal preference and not everyone wants that.  There are many gamers who just want the current meta/most powerful and nothing else.  They want the fast-track to the end-game.  I respect that, even if it is not my cup of tea
    I just re-read your initial post.  Not sure why it didn't click at first, but now it has.  You have a ton of cp and lt's.  So right from the get go, you probably didnt even open anything during the vaulting period!  Then, you mentioned that you hit 900 in pvp, and top 5 in pve for cl8.  No wonder your 4 stars are still progressing.  Your whole argument and position are invalid, in my opinion. I regret getting into an internet discussion with someone whose opinion is not only tainted by their preconceived notions, but also lack of actual experience of the thing you are railing against.  

I was VERY active during vaulting.  Played PVE and PVP daily. The reason I didn’t pull tokens often then is the same reason I don’t now. I didn’t/don’t have enough iso to champ a bunch of characters.  When I do I pull like crazy (which I did during vaulting as it was easier to get ahead of the curve and waste less with only 12 characters- at the expense of the rest of your roster progressing).  The thing is, even without spending a bunch of CP I get covers slowly from progression and placement rewards. Also I sometimes get lucky with vaults and have bought the occasional HFH for a good toon too. My roster isn’t stellar.  No useable 5s or high level 4s. I just grind optimally and play way more than I probably should (but I like the game). I was active during vaulting, I just didn’t use the system the way others did. Once my people became Champed I’d slow down pulling until fresh people entered. I tried to use the system to still build wide the way I wanted.  I don’t think that makes my experience invalid.  

The thing is I’m not actively hoarding, but I currently have 2 Elektras, 2 Spiderwomen, 1 Invisible Woman (all at 13 covers) dying on the vine, and I just pulled an unuseable 13th Cyclops (at 12 covers).  Plus I have a couple 2s that need love and will eventually have to champ Gambit. That is a LOT of iso. So instead of splurging on tokens I just champ them as they come and sell what I can’t. That was always my mantra before, during and after vaulting.  Jessica is next. Sure she’s not top tier meta, but for me she’ll be a new toy and I’ll enjoy her and look for interesting combos for her until I champ Cyke. Then he’ll be my new toy.  I’m likely going to have to toss the Elektras and Invisible Woman due to lack of iso (even without splurging, I still have a ton of waste- oh well... it’s just a game).
  • tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,654 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

So someone cannot have an opinion on a token that gives primarily 4 star characters while they are working on improving their 4 star roster?

Welcome to the internet everyone. Where only your personal opinion has any relevance to anything and everyone else is wrong tainted and inexperienced.
  • DirtyOne
    DirtyOne Posts: 7 Just Dropped In
    Options
    My reaction to unvaulting is mixed.  On one hand I'm sad because I have not championed gamora or vulture.  The gamora really hurts my PVE times because I'm using her 3* version instead.  But unvaulting has also given me the chance to champion several older characters that I think are still very useable like x-23, ice-man, cyclops, jean grey, professor x, and moon knight.  I've been taking the good with the bad - I only wish my bonus heroes drop rate would be better. I've gone ice cold my last 30 LTs or so.
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,176 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2017
    Options
    1. Riri Williams (Champed)
    2. Mordo (Champed)
    3. Agent Coulson (Champed)
    4. Iron Fist (Champed)
    5. Cloak & Dagger (Champed)
    6. Rocket & Groot (Champed)
    7. Gamora (Champed)
    8. Sandman (12 Covers 3/5/4)
    9. Vulture (11 Covers 4/3/4)
    10. Mockingbird (12 Covers 5/4/3)
    11. Yondu (6 Covers 1/2/3)
    12. Lockjaw (10 Covers 3/4/3)
    13. Rogue (5 Covers 1/2/2, not yet in tokens)

Poor Yondu hasn't gotten much love. But the only reason Vulture, Mockingbird and Lockjaw are in double digits is because I tapped my hoard for the Mes Amis store. I intend to crack it in earnest once Ock is out of Latest and Rogue is in tokens. 

I don't mind the current system we have right now. The whole timeline of events surrounding vaulting ended up really working in my favor, I think. It came along right as I was starting to dip my toe into 4* land. 

It really boosted my transition into 4* land. I'm up to 22 champs, with several more on deck.  Now with unvaulting, I can go back and get some of the older characters covered too. Just during this anniversary time frame, I've champed X-23, De4dpool, Thoress and Iceman. Dino will hit 13 covers provided I get to 900 in his PvP, which I aim to do. Carnage hits 13 with the progression cover from Simulator. Hulkbuster will once IM40 gets about three more covers. It feels good to get some progress on these older characters. 
  • Spudgutter
    Options
    tiomono said:

So someone cannot have an opinion on a token that gives primarily 4 star characters while they are working on improving their 4 star roster?

Welcome to the internet everyone. Where only your personal opinion has any relevance to anything and everyone else is wrong tainted and inexperienced.
    no, i blame myself for not catching it at the beginning.  it's like getting into a discussion with an anti-vaxer.  no matter what i say, they already have their mind made up. 

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, i just prefer educated ones, based on experience.  just wasting my breath at this point.  Have fun, i hope you get everyone champed at some point.  
  • tiomono
    Options
    tiomono said:

no, i blame myself for not catching it at the beginning.  it's like getting into a discussion with an anti-vaxer.  no matter what i say, they already have their mind made up. 

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, i just prefer educated ones, based on experience.  just wasting my breath at this point.  Have fun, i hope you get everyone champed at some point.  
    So now a player looking to advance their 4 star roster is entitled to their opinion on a token that primarily gives 4 star characters, but unless they agree with your opinion they have already made up their mind, are uneducated, inexperienced and equal to a conspiracy theorist?

Is that the tldr?

Many people did not like that the majority of the 4 star tier had their progress stalled. Are many of the new characters stronger than older ones? Yes. Should a player be allowed to collect and play with characters they enjoy? Yes. Can a player reasonably collect and play with any character they want in the 4 star tier when 75% of the characters (and growing) were drastically stalled behind vaulting?

Again, the new system may not be ideal for every player, but I stand behind my thought that it is the best system the devs have offered so far.
  • White_Deth
    White_Deth Posts: 63 Match Maker
    Options
    I draw olds way more than the 3x latest. Sucks for me as when vaulting came around i ditched my 4* that had only 1 cover or so :/
  • White_Deth
    White_Deth Posts: 63 Match Maker
    Options
    My immediate though on this is keep a vault with all the latest 4* characters as per the vaulting. Then another vault that has not all but 12 of the old characters in it. This particular vault is cycled every 4 weeks, maybe even 2 and thus giving us a choice on wanting to get an oldie or a latest. For players only a year to 6 months in this would help with lvling the newer characters because its damn near impossible to get the olds. For those with covered oldies give the other store a chance. There 2 vaults, same resource to draw from. And remember that cp is earned and can't be bought so only the best and most dedicated players can draw alot.  No boosted rates on anything and both 20cp each to draw. I would like this and as far as i can see doesnt break anything in the game. Anyones thoughts?
  • TheHungryPet
    TheHungryPet Posts: 229 Tile Toppler
    Options
    My immediate though on this is keep a vault with all the latest 4* characters as per the vaulting. Then another vault that has not all but 12 of the old characters in it. This particular vault is cycled every 4 weeks, maybe even 2 and thus giving us a choice on wanting to get an oldie or a latest. For players only a year to 6 months in this would help with lvling the newer characters because its damn near impossible to get the olds. For those with covered oldies give the other store a chance. There 2 vaults, same resource to draw from. And remember that cp is earned and can't be bought so only the best and most dedicated players can draw alot.  No boosted rates on anything and both 20cp each to draw. I would like this and as far as i can see doesnt break anything in the game. Anyones thoughts?
    I agree with previous posts that state choice is power. We see regular updates to Tokens with each release and versus event so why not offer two versions of the classic legendary tokens?

Even with vaulting gone, the current system still encourages hoarding for me. After you got most of the characters in the latest 12 champed, pulls become less attractive for people who focus on widening their roster. I'm much less interested in additional champ levels for my 4* than getting more characters up to speed. 

I liked their attempt with Fan Favorites, just think that charging 25cp is too greedy for what you get. Baby steps...
  • Spudgutter
    Options
    tiomono said:
    tiomono said:

So now a player looking to advance their 4 star roster is entitled to their opinion on a token that primarily gives 4 star characters, but unless they agree with your opinion they have already made up their mind, are uneducated, inexperienced and equal to a conspiracy theorist?

Is that the tldr?

Many people did not like that the majority of the 4 star tier had their progress stalled. Are many of the new characters stronger than older ones? Yes. Should a player be allowed to collect and play with characters they enjoy? Yes. Can a player reasonably collect and play with any character they want in the 4 star tier when 75% of the characters (and growing) were drastically stalled behind vaulting?

Again, the new system may not be ideal for every player, but I stand behind my thought that it is the best system the devs have offered so far.
    Of course not, but someone that literally starts the thread with "ding dong vaultings dead" has a pretty much made clear their thoughts on the matter.  I'm not geralizing people, i am referencing one person.  

Best system they have offered so far?  Maybe, maybe not. Best system they *could* offer?  Not even close
  • Spudgutter
    Options
    Yup, good ideas. Simliar ones are buried in the announcement thread when they ended vaulting.  Maybe not every few weeks, but use the seasons that are already in place to cycle those tokens.  
  • tiomono
    edited October 2017
    Options
    tiomono said:
    tiomono said:

Is that the tldr?

Of course not, but someone that literally starts the thread with "ding dong vaultings dead" has a pretty much made clear their thoughts on the matter.  I'm not geralizing people, i am referencing one person.  

Best system they have offered so far?  Maybe, maybe not. Best system they *could* offer?  Not even close
    So calling one person uneducated, inexperienced, and about equal to a conspiracy theorist, is better than generalizing more people like that. You need to reel the insults in.

And I do like the idea of multiple tokens offering varied characters. But I also think this topic would be better addressed when the first character added after vaulting is leaving the 12 with increased odds. That will give us a better view on how well or poorly, this system is working.
  • Daredevil217
    Options
    Am I biased?  Of course I am!  We all have biases, including the poster calling me out. Am I uneducated/inexperienced?  Not so much. Just because I used vaulting differently than others, or have different desires for my roster, it doesn’t mean my opinion is less valid. 

It’s no secret I hated vaulting when it happened. As a guy who wants to champ every character, locking away 80% of the 4* tier was not a good look. As a guy who likes to build as evenly as possible, having a handful of characters leveled WAY beyond characters who have been rostered for years was also not ideal.  I even posted a thead that was sort of an “open letter” to the developers asking them to make sense of all of the adverse affects of the vaulting solution to dilution (which they actually replied to which was awesome!). Vaulting had its benefits.  It was nice to bring up newer characters faster and get them Champed in a reasonable amount of time. Long dead were the days of “that character looks awesome, I can’t wait to play them in a year”.  That was easily the biggest benefit of vaulting for most people.

So all of a sudden they kill off vaulting and give us this new compromise. I honestly thought it was a GREAT move (yes, my bias).  Many people complained we were back to dillition and wouldn’t be able to champ characters again. Some feared 3x odds wouldn’t be enough. I noticed that for myself, I am still champing Latest at a decent rate AND am building up older characters. I believe my most recent champs have been Spider-Woman (old), Vulture (new), Clagger (new), Iceman (old), War Machine (old), Grocket (new) and Drax (old).  So I made this thread to see if my experience was unique or if people are fully covering folks before they leave tokens.  I know I play this game a ton so am aware my experience may not be the same as others’. Thus, this thread.  Funny that I openly wear my biases on my sleeve, own my experiences as just that, and ask other people for their experiences to compare, and am attacked and essentially told my opinion is invalid signed off with a snarky “welcome to the Internet”. 
  • Daredevil217
    Options
    I want to address the multiple tokens solution, as well.  I was probably the biggest advocate of that idea when vaulting hit. I asked the developers every chance I got why they didn’t go that route. Never got a straight answer. However, I believe it comes down to this...

*unpopular option alert*

This game needs RNG to make money.  This game also needs to give us some control over our roster development to keep the playerbase.

There’s so many characters that too much RNG would mean that people can never progress in a reasonable amount of time and new people could never catch up. Things like bonus heroes, HFH, 5* cover swaps, and DDQ are in place to help with transitioning and to mitigate RNG. So it’s not 100% random. 

On the flip side, the more control we have over our roster development, the less likely we are to spend or play as much.

I know I have ground extra hard for iso to champ someone before they expired, bought a HFH character to not lose a character on the vine, many have purchased roster spots to not lose a character they pulled, and on and on. The more control we have over our development, the less tough choices we have to make.  The fact that you could pull an Elektra at any given time when you really wanted a Vulture is all part of that design plan and actually works in the company’s favor.

Someone in here suggested we just get to make our own token full of characters we choose and we can swap characters whenever we want. Seriously?  There would be zero risk to opening tokens. While we all would love that as players, the developers can’t give us everything or the system falls apart. I’m actually very impressed that they maintain the balance between giving us some control and having us make tough decisions as well as they do. 
  • Dotproduct
    Dotproduct Posts: 217 Tile Toppler
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I draw olds way more than the 3x latest. Sucks for me as when vaulting came around i ditched my 4* that had only 1 cover or so :/

I'm drawing 5* more than the latest. Out of 13 or so pulls since anniversary started I have 5x 5* and 1 latest.