Carol, Carol, Carol, Carol, Carol, Carol, Carol, Carol, Carol, Carol, Carol, Carol, Carol, Carol...

Comments

• Sm0keyJ0e
    Sm0keyJ0e Posts: 730 Critical Contributor
    Pants1000 said:
    Sm0keyJ0e soraid:
    Pants1000 said:
    The thing I don't like is how difficult it can be to figure out what the opponents strongest color will be before starting the fight.  I know the common teams, but sometimes you see 3 4's around the same level, and it's not clear which color it will be.  Is there an easy way to see that I don't know about?

The screen right before you enter the fight (where you select boosts) you can click on enemy toons. Whichever toon has the highest match damage--that is their strongest color. If there is/are ties, it goes center/left/right as a tiebreaker.
    Thanks! I didn't realize you can click on the enemy toons on that screen.
    Or, you can click on your carol or enemy carol and then click on her passive and it will tell you straight out your strongest color is (blank) and your opponents strongest color is (blank)

He said he wanted to know BEFORE going into the fight, people.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Wait, I thought Brocket was in every team and needed a nerf.  Wait, no it was Medusa.  Now it's Carol?   Hard to keep up.
  • ABaker84
    ABaker84 Posts: 90 Match Maker
    Definitely doesn't need a Nerf. Very effective on offense, not so great on defense, which isn't that what we all want? A character to be effective for us and not against us at the same time
  • BoyWonder1914
    BoyWonder1914 Posts: 884 Critical Contributor
    Pants1000 said:
    Sm0keyJ0e soraid:
    Pants1000 said:
    The thing I don't like is how difficult it can be to figure out what the opponents strongest color will be before starting the fight.  I know the common teams, but sometimes you see 3 4's around the same level, and it's not clear which color it will be.  Is there an easy way to see that I don't know about?

The screen right before you enter the fight (where you select boosts) you can click on enemy toons. Whichever toon has the highest match damage--that is their strongest color. If there is/are ties, it goes center/left/right as a tiebreaker.
    Thanks! I didn't realize you can click on the enemy toons on that screen.
    Or, you can click on your carol or enemy carol and then click on her passive and it will tell you straight out your strongest color is (blank) and your opponents strongest color is (blank)
    You can look at the power description and it will tell you how much AOE damage it will do if they match, but it unfortunately doesn't populate with the strongest color until the fight starts. So if you want to gauge that before the fight, gotta do it the old school way. 
  • MikeG72
    MikeG72 Posts: 111 Tile Toppler

You can look at the power description and it will tell you how much AOE damage it will do if they match, but it unfortunately doesn't populate with the strongest color until the fight starts. So if you want to gauge that before the fight, gotta do it the old school way. 
    Oh, man. I hate having to dig out my abacus. 
  • D4Ni13
    D4Ni13 Posts: 745 Critical Contributor
    TheBaku said:
    And so on...

I see more Carol now than I ever did OML...  even at his peak it was never this bad.

Come on D3,  you know what to do. (10% right?)
    OML was nerfed because of saving health packs with him, not because of his raw power. Carol dies like anybody else... and trust me boosted Medusa is far more annoying than Carol.
  • purplemur
    purplemur Posts: 454 Mover and Shaker
    OML didn't need it then
    Carol doesn't need it now

nerf is not a good thing. it is not a solution and ubiquity is not a problem

• Starfury
    Starfury Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Wait, I thought Brocket was in every team and needed a nerf.  Wait, no it was Medusa.  Now it's Carol?   Hard to keep up.
    What do they have in common? Ludicrous amounts of special tile damage.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    broll said:
    Once again, soooo tired of crybabies calling for nerfs. Carol is one of the easiest 4*s to beat. Learn how to play or go play something else.
    In most situations yes. I really enjoy and Carol vs Carol black on black matches.  Set the ai up for match 4s or leave black all over the board and watch the fireworks. 

But then you get a match like I just had where through no fault of my own I got a cascade on my first move that matched two blacks I couldn't have predicted meaning the enemy team started off with 8 black and I was down 12k health on all my guys.

Not saying that's a cause for a nerf, but it's certainly cause to vent =I
  • DeNappa
    DeNappa Posts: 1,391 Chairperson of the Boards
    Starfury said:
    What do they have in common? Ludicrous amounts of special tile damage.
    Well, it is a very convenient way (if not the best way) to eat through all those big health bars, after all. And unfortunately for the other side, it is hard for the AI to screw it up bigly. Heck, it's one of the reasons everybody hates Juggernaut, or maybe Rulk for that matter.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    broll said:
    Once again, soooo tired of crybabies calling for nerfs. Carol is one of the easiest 4*s to beat. Learn how to play or go play something else.
    In most situations yes. I really enjoy and Carol vs Carol black on black matches.  Set the ai up for match 4s or leave black all over the board and watch the fireworks. 

But then you get a match like I just had where through no fault of my own I got a cascade on my first move that matched two blacks I couldn't have predicted meaning the enemy team started off with 8 black and I was down 12k health on all my guys.

Not saying that's a cause for a nerf, but it's certainly cause to vent =I
    Yeah that team is definitely a double-edged sword.  In Danger Room I've added De4dpool onto the team so that when that happens De4dpool does retaliatory damage to the other team (twice).  Also it's fun that the countdown to what tiles are often falling on black.  Had a match where the other team did a match 4 black with 3 countdown tiles.  

• MojoWild
    MojoWild Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    Pants1000 said:
    I don't mind fighting Carol most of the time.  I like to make sure both teams have the strongest color and avoid that color at all costs.  Sure an unlucky cascade can hurt, but it usually works well.  

While in the match, pull up the enemy Carol, scroll through her power set and that'll tell you both team's top colors at that time, since it can change as people are downed.
  • tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,654 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2017
    TheBaku said:
    TheBaku said:
    Super helpful,  thanks!

Never said she couldn't be beat....   I said she is on almost every team for two weeks....  at some point it is just becomes dull and monotonous to fight the same teams relentlessly.

Have a nice day!

I wasn't trying to help, that's why that comment doesn't have a strategy along with it. Just expressing my disgust with the rash of "I'm slightly annoyed let's nerf everything posts". Monotony has been the name of this game since it's inception. Are you new to pvp or something? If it's not Carol, it will be medusa or R&G or Thanos or whoever but you're probably right the devs should just change the game just for you.  
    Gee,  I bet you're fun at parties.

I'm on day 1447 of resupply,  and though there have been lulls,  I'm not sure I agree that "monotony has been the name of the game since its (fixed that for you) inception"...   I'm not sure I would have stuck it out for 1447 days if I felt that way.

I actually think the PvP by wins instead of points lead to some varied teams and a lot more fun...  but that's just my opinion.   I guess you're technically correct,  the devs could make that system permanent for me,  maybe they will!

What my original post said is that Carol has appeared in WAY more than 10% of my match ups lately,  and if that was the criteria that got OML changed,  then maybe its time to make some changes to Carol...

That said,  the majority opinion that 2 straight weeks of boosts have created this scenario (and it will right itself) seems to be the correct one.

Have a nice day!
    Gee I bet you're fun at parties. 

All the parties I have been to in the last 2 weeks have had cake. Cake at parties is op, all hosts should stop serving cake. It's so boring.

Just because you see a certain character on most teams during their boosts does not mean they are op or need a nerf. It means they are really good when boosted.

Have a nice day!
  • TheBaku
    TheBaku Posts: 55 Match Maker
    tiomono said:
    TheBaku said:
    TheBaku said:
    Super helpful,  thanks!

Never said she couldn't be beat....   I said she is on almost every team for two weeks....  at some point it is just becomes dull and monotonous to fight the same teams relentlessly.

Have a nice day!

I wasn't trying to help, that's why that comment doesn't have a strategy along with it. Just expressing my disgust with the rash of "I'm slightly annoyed let's nerf everything posts". Monotony has been the name of this game since it's inception. Are you new to pvp or something? If it's not Carol, it will be medusa or R&G or Thanos or whoever but you're probably right the devs should just change the game just for you.  

I'm on day 1447 of resupply,  and though there have been lulls,  I'm not sure I agree that "monotony has been the name of the game since its (fixed that for you) inception"...   I'm not sure I would have stuck it out for 1447 days if I felt that way.

I actually think the PvP by wins instead of points lead to some varied teams and a lot more fun...  but that's just my opinion.   I guess you're technically correct,  the devs could make that system permanent for me,  maybe they will!

What my original post said is that Carol has appeared in WAY more than 10% of my match ups lately,  and if that was the criteria that got OML changed,  then maybe its time to make some changes to Carol...

That said,  the majority opinion that 2 straight weeks of boosts have created this scenario (and it will right itself) seems to be the correct one.

Have a nice day!

All the parties I have been to in the last 2 weeks have had cake. Cake at parties is op, all hosts should stop serving cake. It's so boring.

Just because you see a certain character on most teams during their boosts does not mean they are op or need a nerd. It means they are really good when boosted.

Have a nice day!
    Gee,  you seem like happy-go-lucky sort of guy!

Cake is passe...   particularly when I skip party, after party, after party,  after party...  and yet,  every party still has cake.... What would it take for a guy to get some pie?

You're probably right,  nobody needs a nerd.

Have a nice day!
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Even though reading @tiomono and @TheBaku verbal spar session is fascinating  :s I'm going to try and address the topic of the thread...

Carol is ubiquitous. She is slightly overpowered on offense, though easy to counter on defense with almost any team. She is also very fun to use and works well with others. Lots of others. I think this is why she is ubiquitous. She is not the first to carry the playerbase's favor and she won't be the last.
  • tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,654 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2017
    TheBaku said:
    tiomono said:
    TheBaku said:
    TheBaku said:
    Super helpful,  thanks!

Have a nice day!

Have a nice day!

Just because you see a certain character on most teams during their boosts does not mean they are op or need a nerd. It means they are really good when boosted.

Have a nice day!
    Gee,  you seem like happy-go-lucky sort of guy!

Cake is passe...   particularly when I skip party, after party, after party,  after party...  and yet,  every party still has cake.... What would it take for a guy to get some pie?

You're probably right,  nobody needs a nerd.

Have a nice day!
    I would love some pie too. I just agree with the person tired of people calling for nerfs.

You cannot really compare oml and carol though. If you only had 1 to 4 covers on him and one of those was yellow you used him. He was the end all be all for fledgling rosters. He could tank anything and put out good match damage. 

Are any of the endless carols you are seeing at 1 to 4 covers? I'm willing to put money on no. Every roster from 1 star to 3 star was using Logan if they had him.

Carol is boosted. When her boost is gone I would be willing to say her usage will fall off dramatically. For me the simulator is the tell. When no characters are boosted, who is being used? I see far more medusa in various teams than I do carol. I am firmly in 4 star land. I have about half of them champed. Who do I see non stop when nobody is champed? Rocket and groot, Gamora, and Medusa.

So yeah I expect when a character that is largely considered top 10 in the tier they are in to be on nearly every team when they are boosted.

I do really agree with your thought on win based progression though. I love it as well. It does bring more diversity and makes people more willing to play throughout the whole event instead of trying to "bracket snipe". I also cannot wait for that to be the way its done. But until it is or even if it never is i still enjoy the game. 

Now I need to go buy some pie.

Have a nice day!
  • Jabrony_Geoff
    Jabrony_Geoff Posts: 378 Mover and Shaker
    edited October 2017
    To the author of the opening post
    I SAY THEE NAY !!!
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    No extra complaints about defensive Carol being the only one that gets the bonus from hazards ticking down in Danger Room pvp? Because having her boosted for the 11 straight week during this event was really needed with that design choice.
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,796 Chairperson of the Boards
    I love boosted carol but having her boosted this long has been the biggest negative of this anniversary, really taken the shine off the events for me. 
  • AXP_isme
    AXP_isme Posts: 809 Critical Contributor
    I heard there was cake here. 

Or possibly pie. 

Either way, i’m in.