Are people really ok with the required 5* node in SCL7 and SCL8?

Comments

• Qubort
    Qubort Posts: 203 Tile Toppler
    I love the moves they've made lately including adding the 5 star node. In cl8 I could hit t10 when I went for it. I only have one 5 above 255 so this move has dropped me behind better rosters which is fine. More of a challenge and encourages ISO into the 5s.
  • Black Duke
    Black Duke Posts: 694 Critical Contributor
    Orion said:
    The concept is ok, but a little shady to have it in CL7.  The real troll move is to make the first 3 essentials the 3 newest 5*s besides Daredevil.  That's just mean.  I know quite a few people that were hoarding until Doc Ock rotated out, and now they have to pull to get a Doc Ock cover so they can compete for the new character. 
    That´s exactly my issue! I had to spend some of my hard-earned LTs (16 to be exact) for a character I don´t care about just in order to be competitive in PVE.

If they had to add a 5* essential to PVE, this node should be a bonus one which doesn´t give any points. 
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2017
    Bowgentle said:
    *sigh*
    This change wasn't to push low guys out of reward ranks.

It was to create separation at the top - something that was badly needed, especially now with fixed levels.

Demiurge probably looked at T50s separated by less than a few hundred points and decided to change something up.

Now folks without a high covered, high leveled 5 will be locked out of top placement - this is working as intended and will not change.
    That was the whole point of introducing that node.
    eh, maybe.  I think the goal is more around trying to get more people roster/level up/use 5*s.  There seems to be a growing sentiment in new players that 5* tier isn't worth it and people are selling champed 5*s and/or not rostering them at all.  They want to break this trends so people don't max out all 4* and quit playing vs progressing.

SCL based scaling and win based PvP progression seem to be part of that same push IMO.

EDIT: If the primary goal was to split out placement I don't see any reason to propagate that down to 7 & 8.  That probably was intended for SCL9 with the better placement rewards there.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2017
    Really aesth?  More "get zen about the game, people.  And if you aren't zen for any reason, then you are whiny and entitled!"?

*sigh*
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    It just affects placement, and a little extra rewards from the node itself.  You still won't be able to get top placement against rosters with champed 5*s.  Your placement will likely drop a bit on the events where you don't have the 5*, but it's not like you go from an LT to nothing.  Most likely you lose out on a 3* cover and an elite token going from T50 to T100 in SCL7.  If you're used to taking a T10 slot without every rostered character, then congratulations, but you'll just have to wait until the next event and let someone else move into that spot for this one.  Not everyone has to be equal, and a little fluctuation in the leaderboard based on luck isn't necessarily a bad thing.  If #11 gets to #10 because someone sold or boycotted Oc, let them have it.

I look at it not as a slight to people who aren't lucky, but as a bonus to the people willing to roster the undesirable 5* and don't hoard to avoid drawing them.  It also favors vet players who've been collecting longer.  
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    As someone who only uses PVE for iso and progression rewards the 5* node helps me.  I stopped looking for top 10-20 a long time ago as more of a quality of life issue then anything else but I feel the pain of those who do want that placement and have the time to play at the required times.  For the 5* node I think it should be classic 5* only and only 6 clears for a be event not each sub.  This will make it less necessary for placement and if you need to super whale the node a couple of times so be it.  
    Mad farcas bring in CL7 and 8 I would say this the devs are looking for ways to give out more CP so by doing 2 clears you get an extra 2CP per day in CL8.  That can add up quickly and it is 3 in CL9.  A lot of players in CL7-8 should have 5* by now by pulling classic tokens so I think it is good but as someone who is farther along in the game I see the point of view of players who are left out of placement because they don’t have that 5*
  • TheHungryPet
    TheHungryPet Posts: 229 Tile Toppler
    Calnexin said:
    It just affects placement, and a little extra rewards from the node itself.  You still won't be able to get top placement against rosters with champed 5*s.  Your placement will likely drop a bit on the events where you don't have the 5*, but it's not like you go from an LT to nothing.  Most likely you lose out on a 3* cover and an elite token going from T50 to T100 in SCL7.  If you're used to taking a T10 slot without every rostered character, then congratulations, but you'll just have to wait until the next event and let someone else move into that spot for this one.  Not everyone has to be equal, and a little fluctuation in the leaderboard based on luck isn't necessarily a bad thing.  If #11 gets to #10 because someone sold or boycotted Oc, let them have it.

I look at it not as a slight to people who aren't lucky, but as a bonus to the people willing to roster the undesirable 5* and don't hoard to avoid drawing them.  It also favors vet players who've been collecting longer.  
    I would argue the situation really depends on your roster development. Dropping from T50 to T100 means missing out on a lot of HP. For guys who still suffer the roster crunch, this is significant hit. I used to cycle between SCL7 and SCL8 depending on the event, now I drop to SCL6. The issue is not my roster strength, but the constant HP crunch.

Please consider the HP as a loss as well in your assessment which is a critical resource for all who still have a lot of 4* to roster. I joined the game late just after vaulting got introduced so I'm still catching up with the massive pool of 4*.

On the bright side, dropping to SCL6 has drastically improved my quality of life due to faster clears. 

One are of improvement I see as already pointed out by many others: Please indicate which characters are required when signing up for a PVE event. 
  • drayviper32
    drayviper32 Posts: 123 Tile Toppler
    I hate the fact that 5* essential node is in SCL 7 and 8!!! Needs to be in SCL 9 and 10 only!!!! I won't even place top 20 anymore for new characters because of this nonsense!!!!  :#
  • White_Deth
    White_Deth Posts: 63 Match Maker
    In my current slice i can place top 50 without even doing the 5 star node at all. However the bad point is that if they do i would end up outside t50. I dont go for 1-20 but top 50 everytime gets me the hp which is the most useful thing to me still as i need way more slots than the 80 i have. That said the spidey one hasnt been bad at all, 1 cover in green with riri and say carol or dpool, strange3 on the goon node was pretty easy
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Not as raged about it as some apparently are, but it does seem like it should've come with some slight increase in the availability of 5s. At the very least, future releases ought to include a way to get one reasonably-obtainable cover. 

For my part I've got most of them at least partly covered, so I'll struggle through.
  • Vhailorx
    Jarvind: past evidence suggests that 5* availability is about to go up (and 6*s may be coming too).  3*s and, to a less extent, 4*s became more available at or around the same time that the game moved on to a new* tier meta.

GuiPerdigao, 

The new 5* nodes may be good or bad, but they will certainly NOT democratize top 5 finishes.  Over the long term these nodes will advantage those wtih complete, well leveled rosters who can always grind all nodes as quickly as possible.
  • Ezrius
    Ezrius Posts: 150 Tile Toppler
    I stepped away for a bit, because I was feeling burnt out by the effort I was putting in and the lack of progression I was feeling at the 4* tier.  The return of the X-Men got me excited enough to return to the game and try participating in a PVE again, and I was completely blindsided by the 5* required node (since I hadn't been playing aside from earning my daily resupply).  When I finished my clears I was in 5th place, behind 4 players with Doc Ock.  Now I'm in 41st and still falling.  If I fall out of the top 100 by tomorrow morning, what is even the point in trying?  A couple months ago I didn't think 4* progression could become any more difficult.  Clearly, I was wrong.
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    Skygazing said:
    Killians8 said:
    I'm totally fine with it. I have rostered all fives I have every gotten so those choices have paid off. I don't have the current 5* Spidey (this event) or 5* Daredevil. Thems the breaks. We all went through periods earlier in the game where we didn't have 3* or 4* characters until we could get them. This isn't much different.

Your argument that 5*s are harder to get is irrelevant. RNG has always been a part of this game and largely determined our access to characters aside from progression rewards. I enjoy the opportunity later to get what I don't have and play those nodes next time around.
    This isn't the same at all and I don't think you actually get the argument. RNG has been a part of the game, yes, but acquiring covers to compete in events was never like this. I've been playing since 3 hour refreshes were a thing. If you put in the time and effort you could get more covers, which would help you compete to get more covers. There is literally no such mechanism for 5*s.

Not much difference between 5* nodes at SCL7 and 4* nodes at SCL1 that I can see.  There are going to be folks that don't have the required character in both situations.

At some point there have to be things that you need to work towards.
    You don't see the 4* cover that sits in reachable progression for both PvE and PvP? You don't see the lack of anything similar for 5*s? There isn't anything to work towards. It doesn't exist. There is no magic way to get 5*s without relying on RNG and just randomly pulling them. There is nothing you can do to "work" towards a 5*.
    That last point is the crucial one really, it doesn't matter how well somebody performs in pve/pvp or how much they spend if an item is gated behind both rng and rarity, them introducing a 5* node is fine, but clearly now is the time for them to make gaining 5* covers more than simply rng-based and introduce specific ways for people to progress their rosters that are not entirely dictated by it.

• Wonko33
    Wonko33 Posts: 985 Critical Contributor
    I think it is a bit much for SCL7- think they did it because many high level people go down to play at that level ?
  • Vhailorx
    Yes, essential nodes that affect placement being locked to the rng-only 5* tier is a very big change to tue dynamic.  

2*, 3*, and 4* essentials definitely leave some people out in the cold, but their path forward is clear: grind hard to get the progression cover and open up those essential nodes, or wait until the characrer cycles around in pve or pvp.  Not always fun, but at least a certainty.  The only path forward for 5*s is grind for cp/lt like mad and pray (and that's for latest 5*s. Good luck with classics!)
  • proko5
    proko5 Posts: 2 Just Dropped In
    I totally agree with this post. Adding the 5* essential to CL 7 and CL 8 did nothing to enhance the game. It actually made me move from CL 8 to CL 7. For CL 9, it makes sense to add the nodes. CL 9 seems set on rosters that are in the 5* land and are working on accumulating more covers. Let the champed 5* teams duke it out for the top spots to earn those LT. Leave CL 7 and 8 for those that are in the 4* transition. 

HONESTLY, this may be unfavorable, and highly unlikely. I think 5* should be locked from CL 7 (and even 8) now that CL 9 is out. Nothing if more frustrating than being deprived of advancing because rosters that have champed PanThos, take over. 
  • Vyktori
    Vyktori Posts: 3 Just Dropped In
    I think most of my views on the 5* essential node have been expressed by others, but I still wanted to register my displeasure with its inclusion at SCL 7.  This change hit me at possibly the worst time in my roster development.  I have a 3* roster (all but 3 champed) and I'm trying to get ready for the 4* transition (a few latest max covered, no champs, still 16 to roster).  As such, I need both a steady stream of HP for roster slots and preferably some 4* covers coming in.  I have all of one 5* character.

Previously, SCL 7 was great - I usually got T20 - or even T10 - and could count on getting 100 HP a day from subs, a 4* from progression, and some 3* covers (at least) from placement.  Obviously, that is no longer the case.  Last event, I played pretty close to optimally and still placed out of T50 every sub, finishing 53rd overall, so no HP from subs and 3 elite tokens and 3 standard tokens for placement.  No thanks.

This event, I'm down at SCL 6, so half the amount of HP I used to get from subs and no 4* from progression, but at least my placement should be better than what it was in SCL 7.  What really gets me, though, is if I want to adjust to this new paradigm, I need even more roster slots for all the 5*s while my HP production has been substantially curtailed at the same time.  I realize I could just buy HP, but I still would need to actually get 5* covers.  I've been hoarding CP like a good player in the HP crunch, but even if I crack that, I'm at the mercy of the RNG.  Nothing about this is situation is appealing.

For now, I'll stick it out in SCL 6 until such time as I feel it's worth it to play SCL 7 just for progression.  I don't know if I'll get there - we'll see.  Maybe by then I'll have a decent number of 5*s so I don't feel like I'm completely wasting my time.
  • ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    This is a brutal change for placement, especially as the 5* node is the highest value of all the non-wave nodes.

That said, as I only play for progression, I personally don't mind it, as it reduces my needed clears and gives bonus event tokens & CP.  I