Are people really ok with the required 5* node in SCL7 and SCL8?

Comments

• animaniactoo
    animaniactoo Posts: 486 Mover and Shaker
    Overall I'm fine with it for where I believe the longterm strategy of the game is moving. But I think there should be required 1* nodes in SCL1-6 to balance it.

I do think that maybe it shouldn't be in SCL7, and that there should be ONE SCL where you can get 4*s from progression and build your roster without being forced to choose between placement and the 4* progression reward. That's really my only gripe with it in terms of balance and rewards for effort, etc.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Maybe it should not award points toward progression on cls 7 and 8?
  • TheXMan
    TheXMan Posts: 170 Tile Toppler
    That would be a nice solution.  You get a couple CPs for the effort but doesn't keep you from competing for the top awards.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    TheXMan said:
    That would be a nice solution.  You get a couple CPs for the effort but doesn't keep you from competing for the top awards.
    Isn't that what pretty much every player said when SCL9 and the 5 star node was announced? 
  • acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yes. ...
  • Lucifier
    Lucifier Posts: 244 Tile Toppler
    I 100% think the 5* node should be removed from CL7 (maybe it is ok for CL8, as CL8 and CL9 are the 2 highest levels, and we can think of it to give more than one level for vets).

BUT for CL7, come on, the hardest node highest enemy level is 245 and the first level of 5* is 255, how come they put a new node that required from a player to have a 5* char (which is from start level 255, if only one cover and not upgraded) into a CL that hardest enemy was before is level 245. (i am not sure if i explain my point clearly here).

my point if i already have that many 5* i would not be in CL7. (or they should not expect us to be in CL7)

another point of view, I play in CL7 (to get the 4* cover from progression) and maybe sometimes or someday i get top10 (to get more 4* cover).
    so now with 5* node, i might not end up with top50, and it did happened in previous event i did not end up in top50.

so in previous event, i lost the 3* covers as placement rewards, and i got 4* cover from progression rewards.
    the problem is, if i go down to CL6, i can not get 4* covers (because it does not exist in the progression, and i think only top1 get 4* cover) which will not be me for sure.

so I don't know what to do, go to CL6 (to be able to hit good placement for 3* covers), or stay in CL7, only for 4* progression rewards.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,106 Chairperson of the Boards

The problem is that the 5* node is hard for rosters who should be playing in SCL7 (if they even have the covers at all) but a piece of cake for 5* rosters coming down to SCL7 and is no doubt a big draw. That seems to defeat the object of opening up higher SCL. Of course, if you make it harder as a deterrent then it just penalizes the SCL7 guys even more, so I guess we are stuck with it and you can’t blame the 5* players for taking advantage of the Dev’s implementation.

So far I've played as far as I can go until the 5* character dies so as not to waste health packs, don't think I've made it past 3 clears. No Doc Ock, so not an issue for Hearts of Darkness.

• TeamStewie
    TeamStewie Posts: 357 Mover and Shaker
    Vhailorx said:
    It really shouldn't award points at SCL9 either. It puts alliances with players who don't have all the 5 stars or who are unable to beat them at a serious disadvantage. Plus it might eventually lead to people who can't compete being unable to get into a decent alliance because of all those points they'd be losing out on. Between removing scaling and this new 5 star node it's making it even harder for people in 3 star land to be able to advance in the game. 
  • Arphaxad
    Arphaxad Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    My biggest complaint is that the required 5* isn't boosted. We get boosted versions for all other required characters, why not the 5*? Either boost the 5* or nerf the enemy levels.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2017
    My biggest issue with it is that it kills your placement chances if you don't have the 5*.  I'll be really interested to see how I fair in the Rogue release event without Ock.  I suspect I can still get T100 in SCL7, but I'm certainly not as positive as I normally would be.

I also think the levels are kinda ridiculously high, especially considering the vast majority of players that can play them will be dragging an undercovered, underleveled, useless character into the battle...

As is typical with them, concept is fine, execution is poor...

**Removed inappropriate language - Ducky
  • Asmodaeus
    Asmodaeus Posts: 100 Tile Toppler
    I think the 5 node in cl7 is a tough pill to swallow. It has certainly encouraged strong 5 roster players to move Down instead of up while leaving those of us in 3-4 transition land S.O.L. in terms of placement. Also the added grind time is not appreciated. They've already increased the enemy levels and moved the line for max progress rewards from 4 node clears to 5. I think the developers need to ask themselves: At what point does the time required for decent returns (place or prog) outweigh the enjoyment of playing? Couple that with the fact that my 5's are all 5 covers or less and there's No Boost for em makes it really not fun to use them anyway (cmon, my 2's hit harder and are more useful). All in all I think 5nodes should be for cl8-10 and take the place of the 2 node. 
  • Asmodaeus
    Asmodaeus Posts: 100 Tile Toppler
    ...oh and the decision to start with the 3 most recent 5's (aside from daredevil) just seems like salt in the wound. Cmon d3, quit rewarding the top tier folks with opportunities to get "richer" at the expense of us still trying to grow. 
    And don't get me started on the shield training non sense that not only requires 4's that we're vaulted, but needs that 4 at a high level just to play...lame
  • Beer40
    Beer40 Posts: 826 Critical Contributor
    I'm ok with it because I think if we complain too much about new content then they'll likely decide "we can't make these people happy. Lets just stick with the same content and release a new character every two weeks". I don't want to see that at all. 

That being said, I personally don't want to do 6 more clears in PVE every day. 

I'm not going to complain though and ask for a change because I don't have a good solution. Everything I came up with had as many drawbacks as good points when I thought it out.
  • tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,654 Chairperson of the Boards
    I personally like it. I play only for progression. I have missed max progression a few times since the 5 clear thing started. Having an additional high point node that counts as essentially bonus progression is a welcome addition. It also gives me a reason to play with more of my roster.
  • Qubort
    Qubort Posts: 203 Tile Toppler
    Skygazing said:
    Killians8 said:
    I'm totally fine with it. I have rostered all fives I have every gotten so those choices have paid off. I don't have the current 5* Spidey (this event) or 5* Daredevil. Thems the breaks. We all went through periods earlier in the game where we didn't have 3* or 4* characters until we could get them. This isn't much different.

Your argument that 5*s are harder to get is irrelevant. RNG has always been a part of this game and largely determined our access to characters aside from progression rewards. I enjoy the opportunity later to get what I don't have and play those nodes next time around.
    This isn't the same at all and I don't think you actually get the argument. RNG has been a part of the game, yes, but acquiring covers to compete in events was never like this. I've been playing since 3 hour refreshes were a thing. If you put in the time and effort you could get more covers, which would help you compete to get more covers. There is literally no such mechanism for 5*s.

Not much difference between 5* nodes at SCL7 and 4* nodes at SCL1 that I can see.  There are going to be folks that don't have the required character in both situations.

At some point there have to be things that you need to work towards.
    You don't see the 4* cover that sits in reachable progression for both PvE and PvP? You don't see the lack of anything similar for 5*s? There isn't anything to work towards. It doesn't exist. There is no magic way to get 5*s without relying on RNG and just randomly pulling them. There is nothing you can do to "work" towards a 5*.
    4* are not in progression tree for SCL1. So Killercool is quite accurate.
  • BlackIC
    BlackIC Posts: 65 Match Maker
    The 5* Requirement for placement is absurd.
  • Qubort
    Orion said:
    The concept is ok, but a little shady to have it in CL7.  The real troll move is to make the first 3 essentials the 3 newest 5*s besides Daredevil.  That's just mean.  I know quite a few people that were hoarding until Doc Ock rotated out, and now they have to pull to get a Doc Ock cover so they can compete for the new character. 
    They've stated they don't like people hoarding so this makes perfect sense on their end.

• rixmith
    rixmith Posts: 707 Critical Contributor
    I'm good with it. I'd rather have placement be based on having a more complete roster and being able to beat a tough node than based on your ability to time your clears better or grinding 3 point nodes.
  • Qubort
    Vhailorx said:
    It really shouldn't award points at SCL9 either. It puts alliances with players who don't have all the 5 stars or who are unable to beat them at a serious disadvantage. Plus it might eventually lead to people who can't compete being unable to get into a decent alliance because of all those points they'd be losing out on. Between removing scaling and this new 5 star node it's making it even harder for people in 3 star land to be able to advance in the game. 
    4s rain from the skies so it's easier than every to advance. Without the 5star essential you can still clear progression by a huge margin. You can find a t100 alliance with that kind of score easy.