What would D3 need to provide you in order to start saying nice things about the game again?

Options

Comments

• Doomstat
    Doomstat Posts: 115 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Kinesia said: 
    Doomstat said:
    May I change my answer to a better RNG? In the last 3 weeks I've bought three 300 mana gem packs and one 600 pack set and only pulled the guaranteed rare cards from each, all rare cards that I already owned. I don't have that large of a collection, so pulling the rare that I already have, and only one rare at a time, is really disheartening.
    Random RNG is random. Some people getting ridiculous runs of things is actually part of random, noone would organised that.

You can't "adjust" RNGs and keep them random, so you need a different system in place over the top to deal with duplicates. That is planned and noone has backtracked from that.
    I know, hence it being random. I don't expect anything to change, just venting about my luck. I'm sorry if it seemed like I didn't comprehend how they (RNGs) worked.

I still would love to be able to use the purple crystals for something different. Like being able to purchase specific cards with then instead of "blind packs."
  • Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Doomstat said:
    Kinesia said: 
    Doomstat said:
    May I change my answer to a better RNG? In the last 3 weeks I've bought three 300 mana gem packs and one 600 pack set and only pulled the guaranteed rare cards from each, all rare cards that I already owned. I don't have that large of a collection, so pulling the rare that I already have, and only one rare at a time, is really disheartening.
    Random RNG is random. Some people getting ridiculous runs of things is actually part of random, noone would organised that.

You can't "adjust" RNGs and keep them random, so you need a different system in place over the top to deal with duplicates. That is planned and noone has backtracked from that.
    I know, hence it being random. I don't expect anything to change, just venting about my luck. I'm sorry if it seemed like I didn't comprehend how they (RNGs) worked.

I still would love to be able to use the purple crystals for something different. Like being able to purchase specific cards with then instead of "blind packs."

I agree, not sure what though.
    Building specific cards would stagnant the environment, a lot of people would just copy what other people said is good and there wouldn't be much inventive stuff, I don't like that.
    You need to be able target things a little bit but not specifically like, "give me a mythic in this colour from this set" (that I don't already have).
    Or "Pick one of these 3 mythics you don't have".
  • __Adam
    __Adam Posts: 111 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Basically the opposite of what got us to this point; a half dozen updates that benefit the player instead of D3.  Give us better drop rates, rewards, more cards, more value to our currency, etc.

• Gilesclone
    Gilesclone Posts: 735 Critical Contributor
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Right now I'd settle for giving us the cards they've already promised us. 

Ive got 25 packs waiting. 
  • bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I'd like to see an attainable way to get runes so that new players aren't at a disadvantage with unleveled PW in PVE. This is my deepest wish for this game -- set people up for success so they stay engaged. 

In addition, I would like to see greater respect for player's time -- in other words, do away with 4 hour recharges. Asking people to spend 30-45 minutes of their day every 4 hours is making the game work -- not fun. 
  • Houdin
    Houdin Posts: 182 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Brigby said:
    Really @shteev...

Oh come on @Brigby. Don't be sad
  • Ohboy
    Ohboy Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    bken1234 said:
    I'd like to see an attainable way to get runes so that new players aren't at a disadvantage with unleveled PW in PVE. This is my deepest wish for this game -- set people up for success so they stay engaged. 

In addition, I would like to see greater respect for player's time -- in other words, do away with 4 hour recharges. Asking people to spend 30-45 minutes of their day every 4 hours is making the game work -- not fun. 

I really don't think people are spending half an hour to clear 3 games every 4 hours. 
  • Doomstat
    Doomstat Posts: 115 Tile Toppler
    Options
    If you're playing against Bolas with creature less Chandra1 and have no good direct damage spells, it can take up to 35 minutes to clear that node. Trust me, I've timed it. Bad draw in mediocre deck means no fun for Chandra1.
  • Ohboy
    Ohboy Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    But are you doing that every 4 hours? 
  • bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Ohboy said:
    bken1234 said:

I really don't think people are spending half an hour to clear 3 games every 4 hours. 
    Newer players without mastered PW or strong cards do. It takes a long time to do a lot with a little. 
  • Sarahschmara
    Sarahschmara Posts: 554 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Thanks @Mainloop25 I was starting to feel like a total failure because I spend about 30-45 minutes every 4 hours during the weekend events. And I'm supposedly competent at this game. 
  • span_argoman
    span_argoman Posts: 751 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Ohboy said:
    bken1234 said:

Why not? Any of the 3.x battles take 10-15 minutes if you go for objectives, even with the best cards. The 2.x nodes can take 5-10 minutes (2.3 sometimes longer) and 1.x nodes take about 5 minutes or more when you factor in load times. That's easily 20-30 minutes under optimal circumstances. 
    Might be a matter of the deck you're using for each battle rather than card access perhaps. For me, the only RotGP battle that takes 10 minutes is 3.3. The next longest are 3.1, 2.1 and 2.2 at 6 to 8 minutes. Node 1 matches all take 3.5 minutes or less including loading time. The remaining matches take approximately 4 to 6 minutes.

I have coalition members who take 20 to 45 minutes to clear Nicol Bolas, but that's more due to their lack of access to good cards and planeswalkers. So with the best cards as you claim, you should be spending about 15 minutes per 4-hour charge for RotGP.
  • Sarahschmara
    Sarahschmara Posts: 554 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Agree to disagree @span_argoman. For NB, I'm using T2 with new perspectives and faith of the devoted as my only non-cycling cards. It stabilizes quickly and easily meets the objectives but it's boring and takes forever. 
  • span_argoman
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Agree to disagree @span_argoman. For NB, I'm using T2 with new perspectives and faith of the devoted as my only non-cycling cards. It stabilizes quickly and easily meets the objectives but it's boring and takes forever. 
    I'm not disagreeing that people who lack access to the best cards take a longer time to clear Nicol Bolas (in particular, but node 3 in general too). Like I said, I have coalition members who take as much time as you people have mentioned just to clear Nicol Bolas.

But to claim that players with the best cards take that long like @Mainloop25 is claiming is not one that I can accept when I'm taking 10 minutes to beat Nicol Bolas consistently with secondary objectives met. And I know of players with a superior setup (which I unfortunately do not have the cards for) who can clear Nicol Bolas in an even shorter time.

You're not bound to playing a Cycling deck just for consistency in scoring. For PvP perhaps so, but the decks of the PvE decks are so well-documented by now that people should have came up with multiple better options for dealing with Nicol Bolas than cycling with Faith of the Devoted. Especially so considering how many times they've ran RotGP. As a simple example, Ob Nixilis will kill Nicol Bolas waaaaaaay faster than a New Perspectives + Faith of the Devoted deck.
  • Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,936 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2017
    Options
    My fastest NB win with Ob is 8 or 9 minutes so I don't doubt its possibility. I would be curious to see what the average win time on the 3.x nodes are. 

But I looked at your calculations and they come out to about 20-25 minutes to clear your nodes, which is in the range of my 20-30 minutes, so I'm not sure what you're disagreeing with?

What I was disagreeing with was with Ohboy's incredulity that it could take the average player can easily spend a half hour clearing nodes. I can point to my alt account that don't usually touch for PvE events because it takes me so long to clear 3.x nodes, unless I have the day to spend watching TV at the same time :) 
  • span_argoman
    Options
    But I looked at your calculations and they come out to about 20-25 minutes to clear your nodes, which is in the range of my 20-30 minutes, so I'm not sure what you're disagreeing with?

What I was disagreeing with was with Ohboy's incredulity that it could take the average player can easily spend a half hour clearing nodes. I can point to my alt account that don't usually touch for PvE events because it takes me so long to clear 3.x nodes, unless I have the day to spend watching TV at the same time :) 
    Charge with Nicol Bolas (average worst case): 3.5 + 8 + 10 = 21.5 minutes
    Charge without Nicol Bolas (best case average):  3.5 + 6 + 4 = 13.5 minutes
    That range is about 2/3s of your estimated range.

And I believe Ohboy's point was that people may take that long to deal with Nicol Bolas but not with all the node 3 bosses. So it shouldn't be 30-45 minutes every 4 hours but every 3 charges. I guess unless your only option to win for 3.1 & 3.2 is to use an infinite Cycling deck that isn't in Nissa 3 and also does not contain Drake Haven.
  • James13
    James13 Posts: 665 Critical Contributor
    Options
    3.2 I've gotten down really fast among the 3.x nodes.  His creatures tend not to be cheap and with the AI priority he'll just spend time replaying them if you go moderately bounce heavy.  Leaving you relatively free to overrun him.

If you are not Drake Haven-ing it can be really fast.  If you want to Drake haven your matches will be much slower.

3.1 I have a feeling I can do faster if I ditch Haven for a token generator and just Cast Out.

1.x nodes are super trivial and fast.  2.x nodes can vary from quick to longer depending on luck.

3.3 is my longest fight but it's only every third round.

I think I'm probably in line with Span's estimates.  15 minutes maybe on average per round of charges.  I let them accumulate then sit down to clear in a longer time block.
  • Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,936 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Fair enough. I can see how 30 minutes is an overestimate at the top end of players. I'd have to take a poll to see how much time it takes average  players to beat the 3.x nodes (if they are winning consistently), but I would bet it's easily 10+ minutes if they haven't put the right cards/strategies in place.