Infinity Season *Updated (9/19/17)

Comments

• Liftoff
    Liftoff Posts: 38 Just Dropped In
    Highest i have ever been in pvp and only 36 wins.  I have hit at least 900 3 times already. Don't think I will do this for baby jean
  • vaportrail
    vaportrail Posts: 64 Match Maker
    Way too grindy, I hit 40 wins once I went over 1800 points.  I guess next event I'll just troll people with low teams as bait for easy retals.  But hey, someone with a 1* team can grind out 40 wins to get a 4* cover so I guess that's just peachy keen.
  • Milk Jugz
    Milk Jugz Posts: 1,122 Chairperson of the Boards
    alaeth said:
    broll said:
    astrp3 said:
    Anyone who thinks win based pvp should be integrated into the game should go to your local emergency room right away.

you need your head checked. The only people who will take the gold here is whales and people who have had their families leave them due to playing too much.

no person in there right mind should be playing pvp this much unless they choose to. This requires everybody to play a lot to not only hit progression, but also place. I don't care about placement if I get cp along my climbs, but tinykitty this noise to only earn it in placement rewards.
    Personal insults aside, I actually didn't have to play that much more than normal to reach the 4* cover. More matches, yes, but not that much more time, since the matches were faster. Of course, I did have to adjust 
    my style. 
    I don't say that I played it the same or less, but it certainly wasn't much more than normal.  What was more important is that it didn't feel like more time because I was enjoying it and I could play at my time not the 5 predetermined times some dev chose. 

It kinda reminds me of joke.  
    Man: Doctor, will I live longer if I give up sex, alcohol, and high fat foods?
    Doctor: No, but it will feel longer.

Question for you: how many matches can you do with your roster in this event before completely out of health packs?

I have one option - Thanos. Pair him with... Boosted Red Hulk, or Boosted Mrodo, and 5* Black Panther. 
    Once you're facing a sea of (boosted!!) Thanos paired with... (sigh) literally anyone... you blow through health packs like they're Tic-Tacs.  If the enemy gets a bad cascade (or a single crit), or I wipe, I'm using 3. I've been tracking my progress, for MMR-equal fights, I'm getting an average of 4 fights in before I'm out of health packs.

Assume I'm awesome and I win all 4.  I now have the luxury of waiting ~5 1/2 hours to play again... for 4 more wins...

THIS. TRIAL. IS. NOT. FUN.
    Yep!! Sounds about my experience.... Except I don't have Thano5, yet I have to fight him.....
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    alaeth said:
    broll said:
    astrp3 said:
    Anyone who thinks win based pvp should be integrated into the game should go to your local emergency room right away.

you need your head checked. The only people who will take the gold here is whales and people who have had their families leave them due to playing too much.

no person in there right mind should be playing pvp this much unless they choose to. This requires everybody to play a lot to not only hit progression, but also place. I don't care about placement if I get cp along my climbs, but tinykitty this noise to only earn it in placement rewards.
    Personal insults aside, I actually didn't have to play that much more than normal to reach the 4* cover. More matches, yes, but not that much more time, since the matches were faster. Of course, I did have to adjust 
    my style. 
    I don't say that I played it the same or less, but it certainly wasn't much more than normal.  What was more important is that it didn't feel like more time because I was enjoying it and I could play at my time not the 5 predetermined times some dev chose. 

Question for you: how many matches can you do with your roster in this event before completely out of health packs?

I have one option - Thanos. Pair him with... Boosted Red Hulk, or Boosted Mrodo, and 5* Black Panther. 
    Once you're facing a sea of (boosted!!) Thanos paired with... (sigh) literally anyone... you blow through health packs like they're Tic-Tacs.  If the enemy gets a bad cascade (or a single crit), or I wipe, I'm using 3. I've been tracking my progress, for MMR-equal fights, I'm getting an average of 4 fights in before I'm out of health packs.

Assume I'm awesome and I win all 4.  I now have the luxury of waiting ~5 1/2 hours to play again... for 4 more wins...

Probably 5-7, but I rarely play to full healthpack depletion with this method. I play 2-3 matches here and there.  Which I feel empowered to do now since I don't have to rush trough 3-5 fights and then spend HP to not be allowed to play for hours.

its also worth noting I did start out with 10 or so easy wins by setting a trapcake (it was the first time trying this I read about it on the forum) which is something I totally plan to do again and probably keep it going for longer.  

As I've said many times there are certainly issues, but for me and my play style it's an improvement. I would love to see them significantly widen the MMR to allow for you guys to hit Lower players. 
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Update: The team investigated and confirmed that the Infinity Season would have ended 12 hours before Best Friends Forever ended. Due to this, we will have the Best Friends Forever event start early (it will be back-dated to start at 8:00am EDT today 9/19). 

Starting the Best Friends Forever event early means that players in the first two time offsets (aka slices) will unfortunately have less time to participate in the event, and we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.

At this point we do not have any intentions of adjusting the Power Gem Season, or any other event, from its current schedule.
  • Doc L
    Doc L Posts: 279 Mover and Shaker
    broll said:
    alaeth said:
    broll said:
    astrp3 said:

my style. 

Probably 5-7, but I rarely play to full healthpack depletion with this method. I play 2-3 matches here and there.  Which I feel empowered to do now since I don't have to rush trough 3-5 fights and then spend HP to not be allowed to play for hours.

its also worth noting I did start out with 10 or so easy wins by setting a trapcake (it was the first time trying this I read about it on the forum) which is something I totally plan to do again and probably keep it going for longer.  

As I've said many times there are certainly issues, but for me and my play style it's an improvement. I would love to see them significantly widen the MMR to allow for you guys to hit Lower players. 

If if they opened up MMR, and altered the CP for placement back to progression, I wouldn't have any issue at all with this new system. Honestly! Really! Please Devs, you can make everyone happy with a few more tweaks.

As it is, in S1.8, I hit 1200 at about 30 wins, then deliberately lost some matches to drop a bit to hit more to get 40 wins. Not undoable, just a bit boring really, as it took an extra hour or so for that last bit.
  • Spudgutter
    Spudgutter Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    Beer40 said:
    Ran into boosted 4* teams immediately after the seed teams. Just about every other match is Medusa/Carnage, or RHulk. I'm at 14 wins, and really don't know how much will I have left for this. Every single fight is a healthpack drain, the only solace I can take in this is that my alliance has no minimum score for offseason, and my Hulkbuster and Teen Jean are champed already. I actually have more good reasons to NOT do this. If this becomes a mainstay, I will have to quit my alliance because I'm not gonna subject myself to 30-40 wins per event for an entire season against mostly boosted 4 stars. I like my sanity too much. 
    I'm genuinely sorry this sucks for you and others that are experiencing the same scenario. 

I would also like to take the opportunity to point out that this is the very scenario (albeit with 3 champed 4*, instead of 2 and a champed 3*) that many players are used to playing in, and that is why there has been a call for change of the existing system. 

You'll see several veteran players complaining this sucks. They're right. Based on what they tell us their PVP experience is like, it does suck. You'll see several veteran to newer players saying this is better. They're right also. Based on what their PVP experience is like, its a lot better to be guaranteed a 4* cover for the same work they put in previously to potentially walk away with nothing.

Not trying to earn a lecture from vets about how I don't know how to play, suck at a match 3 game (LMAO, really?), etc...The game is apparently designed to only work for a portion of the player base at a time. This time the vets are on the short end of the stick. Next time they won't be. Ka is a wheel. 
    The issue the veteran players are pointing out is that in the old system, we knew we only had to do a certain number of these kinds of draining matches before we got everything we were looking to get from the event. And it wasn't 40. 

Yes I run into boosted 4-star teams right after the seed teams now, but they're for 40-70 points, so I know I can climb exclusively on these kinds of matches and be ready to throw up my first shield when I hit 650-700 ish points. Or I can float when I get to the 500 ish range and chill for more qs and healthpacks, because I've done this long enough to know that my roster's natural floating point is in that range. It doesn't mean I won't take hits and lose some points, but I know I've got several hours before those hits really come, and I know I can make those points up almost easier than I got them in the first place, because more people have climbed and scored higher. All you guys saying how nice and convenient it is to be able to "go do something else", what do you think we do when we put up 3-hour, or 8-hour shields? 75 and 150 HP is hella trivial when PVP/PVE events throw it at you on a daily basis. 

Anyway, due to experience with my roster, I also know I that I can float in the 700 range with 2 boosted 4s long enough that I don't have to worry about getting hit between matches as I can climb. Not the story when I get over 800, so I usually shield again after the first match that gets me over that threshold, unless I think I can beat my next match pretty quickly. Getting from 650-800+ usually takes no more than an additional 3 matches. I usually only need 1-2 matches after that to hit 900, done for event. The total number of matches I've done to get to this point is easily no more than 18-22, and I've done this inside the last 8 hours of an event several times. And recouped all spent HP by the next day in most cases. This is Slice 5, CL 8, where 900+ has also guaranteed me t25 the entire season. My 3-star farm is pumping out 4-star covers and LTs at a crazy rate, so I'm one of those crazy people that happens to still care about their placement. 

No one is saying that it doesn't suck to always hit this wall when you're a 3-4* transitioner, or a 3* roster just trying to get there, the point we've tried to make several times is that we've all been there. You learn what the limits of your roster are, and what it is about your climbing process that you could do more efficiently, and you naturally get better as your roster improves. Sure it wasn't an incredibly intuitive system, but we took our lumps and just realized that we would eventually get there. There's ALWAYS been an outcry that PVP is broken, and that changes needed to be made, but we didn't ask for 40 wins. If I recall correctly, the biggest thing people wanted was to just not lose points on defensive losses when they couldn't do anything. The change didn't involve screwing over a specific population of the player base, EVERYONE would have benefited equally from not having to worry about losing points. Like I said, as vets we remember the experience of being new, so we're not going to suggest something that screws over newer players. We still want newer players to recruit for our alliances, we still want newer players to enjoy the game and not feel like getting to our level is an impossible wall, and it feels good to see new people in our alliance achieve things that they couldn't before because their roster improved. So to see newer people claim that our complaints about this aren't valid is rather frustrating when those same newer players will eventually share our complaints. 

I agree with some of what you said, don't get me wrong.  And i am not a fan of 40 wins, either.  

But.

I really have to say, that playing when *I* want to, is a surprising bonus.  Couple matches here, couple matches there, so freeing. I dont have to float, or shield or anything else.  Just play when i want. I wasn't planning on hitting 40 matches, but i have 26 wins already with 12 hours to go, so i will probably get there while i play tonight.

Another quick point, what some vets fail to realize/remember is that HP is not raining from the sky on everyone.  Yes you have "been where they were" but you have been able to add new characters as they are introduced.  Newer players are in a deficit of 10's of thousands. Most people do not have the hundreds of HP you casually brush off as if it is nothing. They are still trying to roster everyone at 1000 a pop to be competitive in pve, complete everything in ddq or to get a 2* farm going to minimize waste and start turning over that HP.

I may not like this test on face value, but i can respect the attempt to fix pvp.
  • Spudgutter
    Doc L said:
    broll said:
    alaeth said:
    broll said:
    astrp3 said:

my style. 

If if they opened up MMR, and altered the CP for placement back to progression, I wouldn't have any issue at all with this new system. Honestly! Really! Please Devs, you can make everyone happy with a few more tweaks.

As it is, in S1.8, I hit 1200 at about 30 wins, then deliberately lost some matches to drop a bit to hit more to get 40 wins. Not undoable, just a bit boring really, as it took an extra hour or so for that last bit.
    Can't agree enough. If my mmr was opened up,  even just a little bit, i would be so happy
  • BoyWonder1914
    BoyWonder1914 Posts: 884 Critical Contributor
    broll said:
    alaeth said:
    broll said:
    astrp3 said:

my style. 

Not everyone wants to play the FULL 60 hours of an event, which is the breakdown in communication I'm seeing here about time required. Your method lets you save healthpacks great, but you still need to constantly keep playing and slowly inching your way along to 40, over the full course of the event. The people that got really adept at scoring 900, definitely don't need the full event to do it. I've done it in the last 8 hours several times, but most of the time I do it over the course of the last 12 hours. After the grindfest that is PVE, I need a BREAK from the game.

That's one of the major things I enjoyed about the setup, once I finished a PVP event, I got to just relax and not have to think about PVP at all for at least a day and a half. This requires that I ultimately have to jump in at the beginning, and play at least a certain amount everyday, since I can't rattle off 20+ wins in a row against those kinds of teams without spending HP just to buy health packs. After all the hard work it took for us to get to our levels, we enjoyed the perk of not having to play as long to get our needed rewards, because our rosters were capable of so much more. People enjoyed SCL-based scaling so much because of the time that they got to put back in their day. This essentially makes that null and void. If you actually enjoy constantly HAVING to play this game, then good for you, but I'm not looking forward to something that practically doubles my chances of feeling burnout. 
  • BoyWonder1914
    BoyWonder1914 Posts: 884 Critical Contributor
    edited September 2017
    @Spudgutter

My problem with these "play when I want" statements is 

1) You are assuming that the current system does not allow you to "play when you want". This phrase is being used to mean several things, which are not the same. If I can jump into an event whenever I want and know what I need to do to get my wanted results, I consider that playing when I want. Having to join an event at the beginning now because I have to spread these wins out over the course of 2+ days is not playing when I want, it's playing against a clock because I know I have limited time to get those 40 wins. I can jump in an event in the last 8 hours and get 900 points. I cannot jump an in event the last 8 hours and get 40 wins, unless I want to spend boatloads on healthpacks and do nothing else with my life for hours. Playing 2-3 matches at a time over the course of days is not my ideal gaming experience, as a person that already doesn't like how much time I put into this game. That's not playing "when i want", just because I don't have to worry about defensive losses affecting my win total. 

2) As I've stated several times before, there are some crazy people out there that actually do still care about their ranking. So guess what you have to do when it comes time to work on placement? SHIELD! So let's get this straight.....I play completely "when i want" hitting matches and not bothering to shield.....and then there comes a point as time is dwindling, that I do need to shield in order for me to preserve my ranking, and possibly shield hop for the same purpose. Gee vets, that doesn't sound ANYTHING like what we currently do does it? 

As far as the point about HP raining from the sky, I can see that. I'm in a competitive alliance, am a t10-t20 PVE player, a t25 PVP player, have a strong 3-star champ farm with a revolving 2-star farm as well, so HP comes at a decent rate. It essentially recoups itself with daily play. However I also wasn't exactly HP starved as 3-star roster either, the game gives it up freely in plenty of ways. I didn't need to shield to just hit 300-575 and be done, so the only time I was spending it was roster slots and 100 HP daily deals. I still earned way more HP than I spent.

• shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    I hit 40 with a day and a half left in the event. Hit the seed nodes, then did 4 fights here and there to get to the next reward. I was at 38 before I knew it and was like "Oh, just a couple more for the 4* and I'm done." Granted I still need to do one final run to help with placement, alliance and season rewards but overall this has been pretty relaxing and stress free. The best part is that I played with teams that I had fun with instead of running a stronger defensive team that would deter people from attacking me.

I was attacked A LOT. And I lost A LOT. But you know what? Didn't care. Not even a little. Not the teeny tiniest bit of care because when I lost 90+ pts I didn't have to think "Well, that's at least three fights I have to do just to get back those points and that's before I even start to progress to the next reward I want! Ugh!" Nope, not this time. Retal against the easier opponents, skip the rest. Easy peasy.
  • Justice Jacks
    Justice Jacks Posts: 116 Tile Toppler
    shardwick said:
    I hit 40 with a day and a half left in the event. Hit the seed nodes, then did 4 fights here and there to get to the next reward. I was at 38 before I knew it and was like "Oh, just a couple more for the 4* and I'm done." Granted I still need to do one final run to help with placement, alliance and season rewards but overall this has been pretty relaxing and stress free. The best part is that I played with teams that I had fun with instead of running a stronger defensive team that would deter people from attacking me.

I was attacked A LOT. And I lost A LOT. But you know what? Didn't care. Not even a little. Not the teeny tiniest bit of care because when I lost 90+ pts I didn't have to think "Well, that's at least three fights I have to do just to get back those points and that's before I even start to progress to the next reward I want! Ugh!" Nope, not this time. Retal against the easier opponents, skip the rest. Easy peasy.
    And how many CP did you earn for that effort?  I don't mind the new system, I don't have to do anything different but it will keep the CP from going to the smaller rosters so those of us that were lucky enough to develop ours in the past shall even more quickly outpace those preparing to transition.  Far less competition from below under this new meta.  Hope those that were pushing for this are happy with the results they'll see.  4-5 star transition will be on life support as CP is being starved out of those rosters.  A 4-star roster should be able to hit 1200 nearly all events and get that 15 CP if they choose to under the old system.  In the new meta, not a chance as practically all of them will be locked out of placement.   (Unless, of course, they release CL9 and 10, and then maybe they'll be enough available slots that some may squeak in). 
  • Spudgutter
    @Spudgutter

My problem with these "play when I want" statements is 

1) You are assuming that the current system does not allow you to "play when you want". This phrase is being used to mean several things, which are not the same. If I can jump into an event whenever I want and know what I need to do to get my wanted results, I consider that playing when I want. Having to join an event at the beginning now because I have to spread these wins out over the course of 2+ days is not playing when I want, it's playing against a clock because I know I have limited time to get those 40 wins. I can jump in an event in the last 8 hours and get 900 points. I cannot jump an in event the last 8 hours and get 40 wins, unless I want to spend boatloads on healthpacks and do nothing else with my life for hours. Playing 2-3 matches at a time over the course of days is not my ideal gaming experience, as a person that already doesn't like how much time I put into this game. That's not playing "when i want", just because I don't have to worry about defensive losses affecting my win total. 

The devs even stated that they don't actually like people joining late, so you admit you aren't exactly their target audience, which brings me to my other point...
    I'm in a competitive alliance, am a t10-t20 PVE player, a t25 PVP player, have a strong 3-star champ farm with a revolving 2-star farm as well

at what point during typing this do you not recognize that you are in the super minority here?  I've said repeatedly, I don't like several aspects of the test, and think there are plenty of good and interesting suggestions that would solve a lot of problems with the test, but i understand that they are trying to increase the engagement from those that are not already hopelessly addicted, such as you and I
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    shardwick said:

And how many CP did you earn for that effort?  I don't mind the new system, I don't have to do anything different but it will keep the CP from going to the smaller rosters so those of us that were lucky enough to develop ours in the past shall even more quickly outpace those preparing to transition.  Far less competition from below under this new meta.  Hope those that were pushing for this are happy with the results they'll see.  4-5 star transition will be on life support as CP is being starved out of those rosters.  A 4-star roster should be able to hit 1200 nearly all events and get that 15 CP if they choose to under the old system.  In the new meta, not a chance as practically all of them will be locked out of placement.   (Unless, of course, they release CL9 and 10, and then maybe they'll be enough available slots that some may squeak in). 
    I wasn't getting the cp before so it's not like I'm losing it. I will be gaining more hp though from not having to do an eight hour shield anymore. And sure you could hit 1200 to get 15 cp but at what cost? Throwing away hp left and right to do it? I'd rather have the hp for my roster and buying packs now and then. And competition? More people are playing. I got a ton of attacks from people with weaker rosters than mine. It was the same on the very first test too. In the old system I RARELY ever saw someone with a weaker roster. Almost all were a bit above me or waaaaaay above me and guaranteed losses. Now it's the complete opposite.
  • j0nats
    j0nats Posts: 149 Tile Toppler
    2champ 5* roster SS and IM.

no seeds. and ive just wiped 3x straight, and barely won my 4th in BFF.  all im seeing are thanos or bolt teams.

39 more matches like this????

why oh why are we being punished for trying to level up our rosters?.

• Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards

My gripe with this format hasn't changed.  The number of different opponents I see late on in the event is still only about 5, which means triple-tapping or worse, if I want the 40 wins.

They may not lose progression, but they'll lose points and possibly placement and I might antagonise a member of the wrong alliance.  I've heard they can be worse than our mods used to be. :wrysmileit'sajokepleasedon'tbanmeemoji:

There must be some method of opening up available opponents.  How about adding in the 5 players either side of me in the table, but only if currently shielded.

Bad form to quote myself, but.  I'm reassessing my gripe a little, at least at the levels at which I play.  No one's shielded, so the pool of opponents is huge compared to normal.  Granted the top 10 are shielded with their 2500+ points, I'm floating around 25th place with about 900 points and the leaderboard is practically bereft of shields.  I've already got the 10-pack, and might push for Hulkbuster.

If you don't care about placement (and CP), this might not be quite as bad as I thought.

• champg0951
    champg0951 Posts: 32 Just Dropped In

I am enjoying this PVP off season event very much!! Got the 10 pack at 31 wins which turned out to be the best 10 pack I've earned!