Teams to defeat Kaecilius with

Comments

• Asmodaeus
    Asmodaeus Posts: 100 Tile Toppler
    Coulson, Quicksilver, 5* Thanos. 
    Tile swap with purple and black, Thanos makes the matches and takes the damage. 
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    First day I just managed using 3* Thor, Hulk, and Bullseye.  The basic strategy was to have Thor and Hulk tank and create as many green tiles as possible.  This had the dual benefit of increasing the chance of strike tiles landing on green as easy matches, and feeding Bullseye's green.  Quite often I was able to match multiple strike tiles with a single cast of Bullseye's green.

I didn't have much luck with it the second day, so switches to the Coulson/Quicksilver/Scarlet Witch team other people suggested.  Not sure what I'll try for the third time around.
  • FokaiHI
    FokaiHI Posts: 272 Mover and Shaker
    D4Ni13 said:
    FokaiHI said:
    5* BP
    4* C&D
    3* Patch

Black Panther's black can activate. I was getting about 6k damage. 
    Good to know, but isn't Cloak & Dagger counter productive ? I mean you want to starve K from black...
    You do, but at 6k a hit, it goes fast. BP tanks all damage except for the green. 
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    macgawel said:
    There are plenty of characters below 4* who work fine here. The only reason I was running a 4* alongside Khan and Loki was because she had the colours I needed to keep Loki out of the way, and lots of health. A number of 3* could have subbed in for her, and would have actually been better offensively.

Just in this thread, I've seen Khan, Loki, Bullseye, Switch, Patch, Quicksilver, Storm, GSBW, Hawkeye, Elektra, and Hulk mentioned as 3* that can work well here. I can also see 3* Steve and Thor possibly filling in reasonably well if lacking in the above.

Heck, even in 2* land, there are some good options. Bullseye and Storm again, along with Magneto, look the best to me, but Steve and Thor could do some work here as well, as could Moonstone and Captain Marvel.

If all you have is 1*, yeah, you're probably out of luck, but even then, some combination of Juggs, Hawkeye, Spidey, and Storm might be able to do it.
    All this characters have powers usable against Kaecilius. But Kaecilius can kill most 3* with really few moves. And as soon as one character is dead, you've lost because your strategy is out.

Losing vs. Galactus is expected, but you progress in the round. And you play for a 4* (before that, Galactus is a piece of cake).
    Here, it's frustrating : If you lose, you lose everything. And if you win, you gain a small reward.

[Edit] The worst thing IMO :
    Kaecilius was a fun puzzle game. Now it's a pure luck game.
    If those characters are the best you've got, you should be playing in a lower SCL, where his damage isn't so ridiculous. With the SCL-based scaling and how low the requirements are for each level, it's really easy to get in over your head.
  • Tseb
    Tseb Posts: 67 Match Maker
    C4rol/Medusa/Falcon
    Level 4
    Match purple to make defend tiles and  boost with cd/Executive order and yellow matches.
    Use Nightwing to control number of strike tiles.
    Watch K hit you for only 1 point damage/tile match for much of the game.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    Coulson
    Medusa
    Carnage

All unboosted.

First try. Clearance Level 8.

Make sure Carnage Black is only at 3 as you are using his attacks for healing purposes.

Basically used Coulson Purple to match strikes and Carndusa to heal. Dropped him easily.

Now 2-0 with this team. 
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,178 Chairperson of the Boards
    macgawel said:
    There are plenty of characters below 4* who work fine here. The only reason I was running a 4* alongside Khan and Loki was because she had the colours I needed to keep Loki out of the way, and lots of health. A number of 3* could have subbed in for her, and would have actually been better offensively.

Just in this thread, I've seen Khan, Loki, Bullseye, Switch, Patch, Quicksilver, Storm, GSBW, Hawkeye, Elektra, and Hulk mentioned as 3* that can work well here. I can also see 3* Steve and Thor possibly filling in reasonably well if lacking in the above.

Heck, even in 2* land, there are some good options. Bullseye and Storm again, along with Magneto, look the best to me, but Steve and Thor could do some work here as well, as could Moonstone and Captain Marvel.

If all you have is 1*, yeah, you're probably out of luck, but even then, some combination of Juggs, Hawkeye, Spidey, and Storm might be able to do it.
    All this characters have powers usable against Kaecilius. But Kaecilius can kill most 3* with really few moves. And as soon as one character is dead, you've lost because your strategy is out.

Losing vs. Galactus is expected, but you progress in the round. And you play for a 4* (before that, Galactus is a piece of cake).
    Here, it's frustrating : If you lose, you lose everything. And if you win, you gain a small reward.

If those characters are the best you've got, you should be playing in a lower SCL, where his damage isn't so ridiculous. With the SCL-based scaling and how low the requirements are for each level, it's really easy to get in over your head.
    Someone in a different thread said they were playing SCL 4 and according to them, Kaecilius had 17K health and created strike tiles worth about 1200, doing 1500 damage on his first match and only escalating from there if his tiles aren't matched. That player said his whole team was usually dead after turn five or six. 

As much as I didn't mind the change, and even kind of liked the added strategy and puzzle element, if what was said about SCL 4 is true, then it does seem a bit on the broken side for those with underdeveloped rosters. 
  • Wonko33
    Wonko33 Posts: 985 Critical Contributor
    Thank you all for contributing to this thread, talking strategy  instead of complaining that your usual Thanos 5 / BP 5 can't beat him. I loved reading about all the strategies you guys came up with and I had not thought about as  I just went Medusa-KK- Patch
  • macgawel
    macgawel Posts: 30 Just Dropped In
    Then don't say  "There are plenty of characters below 4* who work fine here."   ;)

Even with champed 4*, the damages done by Kaecilius can kill them easily if you're not lucky...
    You need to match at least 17 strike tiles to kill him. He'll deal at least 1500 per match (one strike tile, if you somehow manage to destroy tiles each turn). And he needs "only" 15 black to kill your team. Oh, and don't forget to build your powers.
    Shake all this, and even with a good strategy losing is something to count with.

By itself, losing is not a problem, it's part of the fun. But you can lose on one bad match (or on a bad strikes position) and you lose everything (unlike with Galactus) and you get less reward than DDQ gives.

---

Someone tried Quake ? 2 Boardshakes and an AOE counter  o:) 
  • BlackWidower
    BlackWidower Posts: 250 Mover and Shaker
    Lost a billion times looking for the right combination.
    Since I moved to El4ktra/Coulson/Switch I have won every round, first time.
  • gentgeen
    gentgeen Posts: 99 Match Maker
    I am actually using the same team I used last run of this event.... Champed Patch/Loki/Quicksilver.   I did drop one match (he got a double match+5  on a cascade, and they both black :-(   so he had 9black on his first move).

Loki Purple, QuickSilver's Black, and Patch's Red or Green at 'just the right time' (i.e. when I had a 10+ purple ready for loki).   
  • Kahmon
    Kahmon Posts: 625 Critical Contributor
    Currently running Medusa, Carnage, and Doc Oc.

All 3 spit out special tiles for Medusa to keep healing the team with. 2 provide board shakes that take away his special tiles. (If you can't match them, at least he loses them). It's a slow fight, but the perpetual healing keeps you going until you make enough matches to win.
  • Enderikari
    Enderikari Posts: 10 Just Dropped In
    Tried all the favorites, and he would always finish building up 15 black before I could finish him. Switched to 3* Deadpool, Medusa, scrub to drop a bunch of whales on him...
    Whales work. MPQ gonna be cheap? I'm gonna be cheap.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,700 Chairperson of the Boards
    First two were easy. Just went with 3 highest boosted characters by health and made the matches I could. Today, that didn't work. At all.

Lost half my roster and all 10 HPs, but Elektra finally bailed me out. 
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    DarthDeVo said:
    macgawel said:

Someone in a different thread said they were playing SCL 4 and according to them, Kaecilius had 17K health and created strike tiles worth about 1200, doing 1500 damage on his first match and only escalating from there if his tiles aren't matched. That player said his whole team was usually dead after turn five or six.
    That's a whole different problem if he's still doing that kind of damage in SCL4. I can't remember for sure (and don't have another chance to replay it to check), but that sounds about like the level of damage I was taking in SCL7. If they somehow forgot to scale him down for lower SCLs or something, that is serious fail on their part. But not an indication that the character inherently needs a nerf.

To put my ISO/Health Packs where my mouth is, I just beat him in SCL7 with Quicksilver, Khan, and Loki. Forgot to respec Khan to 5/5/3, and my Loki is only 2/4/2 as well. Took me two tries, but wasn't that bad. Even ate a Forbidden Power in the 2nd try, but still managed to pull it out with just Khan and Pietro left.
  • fuzzy_cracks
    fuzzy_cracks Posts: 36 Just Dropped In
    Falcon

Quicksilver

Colossus

Falcon for his protection, boost in protection, and removal of any strike tiles. Quicksilver for switching tiles around. And Colossus cause he's powered up in this event and combined with his protection puts him at the front of the team. Which buys you some time to charge up both Falcon and Quicksilver.
  • j0nats
    j0nats Posts: 149 Tile Toppler
    scl 8, used patch kamala and quicksilver. build up black grrn or pink.  black to switch tiles, kamhala pink to create green for patch trike tiles, or to match away enemy  tiles.  blue also helps to make black cheaper
  • Bunny
    Bunny Posts: 6 Just Dropped In
    Mr.F+Coulson +QS

3 cheap swaping skills with different color. Strong protect tiles plus heal from Mr.F. Coulson also plays as AP generator and AP stealer
  • Friarbundy
    Friarbundy Posts: 118 Tile Toppler
    Medusa unchamped. KK and 3* Hulk

Paitence is the key.  That and denying him black.  Fire powers to get heals every chance you get.  Made it through with everybody alive this time.  I think I'm actually getting the hang of this fight.
  • BlackWidower
    BlackWidower Posts: 250 Mover and Shaker
    edited September 2017
    mexus said:
    Vulture:
    Keep airborne to stay out of trouble, generate green AP.

Scarlet Witch:
    Creates purple for Coulson, spam her green for lots of Coulson countdowns.

Coulson, star of the show:
    Swap tiles to match Kaelcilius' strike tiles, generate AP whenever countdowns created by spamming SW green, use his yellow for even more countdowns, use blue after yellow to steal Kaelcilius AP.

Too bad Coulson tanks here! But we won so I guess it was good enough.
    AP levels were constantly almost full.

That's why I used Elektra instead of Vulture (not that I have a fully covered vulture anyway).  Elektra turns three of his tiles from 320 damage to 18 damage.  Then her black prevents her from taking damage.  And Switch is making purple after purple for you, so you could choose which you wanted, like making sure that you matched his black strike tiles using Coulson, but using Elektra's power when the strike tiles were nowhere near being able to be matched by a quick switch.

I also found it weird that match fours would not give you points for hitting his tiles, nor would they if they were part of a match five produced by a passive, like Switch's purple, which sucked when there were purple tiles nearby.