Teams to defeat Kaecilius with

Comments

• ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    ZootSax said:
    I did it with 3*R&G, Patch & 5* Hulk (for the bonus matches per turn and "additional health").  It's not a reliable team, but it worked for day 1.

After reading this thread, I tried 3*R&G, Patch & Medusa for day 2.  They won on the first try, but I was probably more than a little lucky and Medusa never really got her burst heal going enough to matter before she fell.  3*R&G was the MVP again with a few critically-timed heals on his yellow (I run him 4/4/5, FWIW). 

Tomorrow, I'll probably try 5*Jean, 3*R&G and Patch, to see if a resurrecting tank makes things any better...

• Milk Jugz
    Milk Jugz Posts: 1,122 Chairperson of the Boards
    D4Ni13 said:
    Turn 2 was easier for me. Medusa + Mohawk Storm + underleveled Phoenix. 

I think Storm is better than Carnage since she has a good black (makes you deny black for K), and 2 board shakers. Phoenix also works well since she can reduce strike tiles if 5-match. And if she dies she comes back again.

I also thought her red gives enemy strike tiles, but I see now that she gives attack tiles instead. Is this the original effect ? Or has her ability been changed ? 
    That's how it always has been, if you have 5 or more friendly special tiles she creates enemy attack tiles and be careful they are pretty strong if you have red fairly well covered
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,178 Chairperson of the Boards
     I'm running Coulson, Mr. F and IM40. Six yellow gets things going. Blue for Mr. F and a little purple for Coulson, who also adds AP for the expiring CDs.

Switch tiles to remove strikes with Mr. F blue and Coulson purple. Each time any character other than Coulson fires a power, that's a CD that can become AP. Mr. F adds protect tiles, and will heal if any of your special tiles happen to get matched.

Still, it's not foolproof. I lost on my first attempt today because I just couldn't keep him from getting black matches. 
  • mega ghost
    mega ghost Posts: 1,156 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've been using Mr. Fantastic, Coulson, and Kamala Khan. Mr. Fantastic and Coulson swap tiles to remove the strikes, Mr. Fantastic team heals any time your special tiles get matched, and Kamala team heals any time you fire a power, keeping your health up.
  • Wumpushunter
    Wumpushunter Posts: 627 Critical Contributor
    Everyone fine with the "Challenge" either has all the 4s and 5s listed here champed  or hasn't had a bad  board yet. Some people are losing 8 times on an unannounced change or a bug they won't fix cause its a holiday. You can be tiny kitty sure that if the boss was handing out triple iso it would already be fixed.
  • mega ghost
    mega ghost Posts: 1,156 Chairperson of the Boards
    I beat Kaecilius on the second try the first encounter, and on the fourth try the second encounter. He feels a bit harder, but the "You will likely die facing him, until you don't" challenge has been there since they first debuted him.
  • Landale
    Landale Posts: 157 Tile Toppler
    I beat him with Coulson, Loki, and Patch.  I used Loki's Trickery to create protect tiles from Kae's hard-to-reach strike tiles for longevity, Coulson's tile swap, and Patch's enemy strike creation.  Loki's Mischief was also helpful in keeping Kae's AP count lower, and the Purple in a pinch is good board shake, though I preferred using Coulson's tile swap.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Everyone fine with the "Challenge" either has all the 4s and 5s listed here champed  or hasn't had a bad  board yet. Some people are losing 8 times on an unannounced change or a bug they won't fix cause its a holiday. You can be tiny kitty sure that if the boss was handing out triple iso it would already be fixed.
    There are plenty of characters below 4* who work fine here. The only reason I was running a 4* alongside Khan and Loki was because she had the colours I needed to keep Loki out of the way, and lots of health. A number of 3* could have subbed in for her, and would have actually been better offensively.

Just in this thread, I've seen Khan, Loki, Bullseye, Switch, Patch, Quicksilver, Storm, GSBW, Hawkeye, Elektra, and Hulk mentioned as 3* that can work well here. I can also see 3* Steve and Thor possibly filling in reasonably well if lacking in the above.

Heck, even in 2* land, there are some good options. Bullseye and Storm again, along with Magneto, look the best to me, but Steve and Thor could do some work here as well, as could Moonstone and Captain Marvel.

If all you have is 1*, yeah, you're probably out of luck, but even then, some combination of Juggs, Hawkeye, Spidey, and Storm might be able to do it.
  • CCW1208
    CCW1208 Posts: 140 Tile Toppler
    My stragegy is different from others. The boss has only one active power with 15 ap. So I want to slow down boss ap accumulation. I use OML phenoix hood. OML pPHX are my tanks. Hood drain black ap from boss. Just keeping matching black and enemy strike tiles.My team win 2/2 with some luck.
  • evade420
    evade420 Posts: 440 Mover and Shaker
    edited September 2017
    Thano5 / coulson / and Mr F

Tile swaps , defense tiles, team heal, countdown tiles, ap generation and steal ,stop tiles from being created if desperate with thanos purple.

It works, not that fast (5-10 min depending on the board) but thano5 tanks everything , and the occasional burst heal ensure that you'll make it through  
  • Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    Elektra, SWitch, Patch.

Patch regen and Elektra black increase survivability, and patch green/Elektra purple to generate purple strikes. 

Switch blue both feeds purple and matches purple strike tiles.
  • FokaiHI
    FokaiHI Posts: 272 Mover and Shaker
    5* BP
    4* C&D
    3* Patch

Black Panther's black can activate. I was getting about 6k damage. 
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    HE/Coulson/MrF.
    You basically get infinite blue to swap and make matches and lay down protects.
    Still takes 17-18 turns.. since you need to match 17 strikes..
  • PsychoNrOne
    PsychoNrOne Posts: 11 Just Dropped In
    KK/Medusa/Mohawk
    Deny black and spam the board with storms attack tiles to stay healthy. Use storms green / yellow or medusas purple to get rid of the strike tiles you cannot reach.
    Worked surprisingly well.
  • macgawel
    macgawel Posts: 30 Just Dropped In
    edited September 2017
    There are plenty of characters below 4* who work fine here. The only reason I was running a 4* alongside Khan and Loki was because she had the colours I needed to keep Loki out of the way, and lots of health. A number of 3* could have subbed in for her, and would have actually been better offensively.

Just in this thread, I've seen Khan, Loki, Bullseye, Switch, Patch, Quicksilver, Storm, GSBW, Hawkeye, Elektra, and Hulk mentioned as 3* that can work well here. I can also see 3* Steve and Thor possibly filling in reasonably well if lacking in the above.

Heck, even in 2* land, there are some good options. Bullseye and Storm again, along with Magneto, look the best to me, but Steve and Thor could do some work here as well, as could Moonstone and Captain Marvel.

If all you have is 1*, yeah, you're probably out of luck, but even then, some combination of Juggs, Hawkeye, Spidey, and Storm might be able to do it.
    All this characters have powers usable against Kaecilius. But Kaecilius can kill most 3* with really few moves. And as soon as one character is dead, you've lost because your strategy is out.

Losing vs. Galactus is expected, but you progress in the round. And you play for a 4* (before that, Galactus is a piece of cake).
    Here, it's frustrating : If you lose, you lose everything. And if you win, you gain a small reward.

[Edit] The worst thing IMO :
    Kaecilius was a fun puzzle game. Now it's a pure luck game.
  • D4Ni13
    D4Ni13 Posts: 745 Critical Contributor
    Milk Jugz said:
    D4Ni13 said:
    Turn 2 was easier for me. Medusa + Mohawk Storm + underleveled Phoenix. 

I think Storm is better than Carnage since she has a good black (makes you deny black for K), and 2 board shakers. Phoenix also works well since she can reduce strike tiles if 5-match. And if she dies she comes back again.

I also thought her red gives enemy strike tiles, but I see now that she gives attack tiles instead. Is this the original effect ? Or has her ability been changed ? 
    That's how it always has been, if you have 5 or more friendly special tiles she creates enemy attack tiles and be careful they are pretty strong if you have red fairly well covered
    Well, still good for this particular fight. Just no red.
  • D4Ni13
    I lost 5 times on first attempt. 
    What people are saying is that it's better to have some hard challenges from time to time, especially if (and this is important) you don't have to grind that node.

Despite choosing sc8, and having harder nodes with the sentries, I could and have effectively won all the nodes with the same team. The boss fight made me think about countering him and while annoying after a couple of defeats, it did provide a challenge I never had in a long time. And that is why this challenge is fine. It's a 'puzzle' game after all.
  • D4Ni13
    FokaiHI said:
    5* BP
    4* C&D
    3* Patch

Black Panther's black can activate. I was getting about 6k damage. 
    Good to know, but isn't Cloak & Dagger counter productive ? I mean you want to starve K from black...
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    macgawel said:

All this characters have powers usable against Kaecilius. But Kaecilius can kill most 3* with really few moves. And as soon as one character is dead, you've lost because your strategy is out.

Losing vs. Galactus is expected, but you progress in the round. And you play for a 4* (before that, Galactus is a piece of cake).
    Here, it's frustrating : If you lose, you lose everything. And if you win, you gain a small reward.

[Edit] The worst thing IMO :
    Kaecilius was a fun puzzle game. Now it's a pure luck game.
    If anything in previous runs it was more of a luck game to me. Take your biggest guys into the match and then match away a handful of tiles to win. This time around it requires more strategy since you have to match away more tiles. My first time this event I got him down to about 8k health before he killed me. The second time he was down to 2k health. That was with me trying to brute force it and just rely on a decent board. That worked in past runs but this time around I had to do something different. I did Coulson, Switch and 3* Hawkeye for the first two subs and beat him both times. The first time Coulson was down to about half health when I won and for the second round he killed off Switch with a lucky cascade but I was still able to win. And even if you get a bad board you can still usually manipulate it to work for you. I would just try to have Hawkeye do most of the matches so he can self heal if he takes too much damage.
  • Arsenal777
    Arsenal777 Posts: 5 Just Dropped In
    I used 5* Black Panther, 4* Cloak and Dagger, and 4* Agent Coulson! This got the job done efficiently! I used this team and beat Kaecilius first time CL8! This is the way it works Cloak and Dagger creates lots of black tiles on board, but be careful Kaecilius doesn't collect enough Black to fire off his Forbidden power! Then you use the ap collected to fire off 5* Black Panther power Panthers Prey, once the tile is activated on the board you match the strikes tiles on the board for maximum damage! Also for Coulson in case I needed a Tile swapper to get the strikes removed! I beat Kaecilius with this strategy within less than 5 minutes!