Anyone else feeling the burnout?

Comments

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    The grind exists in games like this, we all know this. However, in a game like Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes I can grind and unlock a character I really want in a few days to a week.
    Bad example.

Unlock? Yes.
    Play? Well. You'll take a few months getting the char to 7*, while gearing him up.
  • Runningwild
    Runningwild Posts: 40 Just Dropped In
    Bowgentle said:
    The grind exists in games like this, we all know this. However, in a game like Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes I can grind and unlock a character I really want in a few days to a week.
    Bad example.

Unlock? Yes.
    Play? Well. You'll take a few months getting the char to 7*, while gearing him up.
    i think it's a very relevant example when this game prevents me from earning a character to begin with by not having an open slot. As I said earlier, the poor draw rate of MPQ means some four star characters have only 4 covers years later on my roster. Galaxy of Heroes doesn't penalize a player by having roster slots, nor does it take years to grind a character to maximum level. By putting in a little time, you are rewarded. They offer plenty of ways to earn gear and character shards. Realistic ways you earn by playing, not pure chance alone like this game does.

MPQ is basically telling you to pay for a slot and then you pray to RNGesus to somehow earn covers. It is simply too drawn out a process and this needs to change if they want to keep player attention.

If you think the system is fair, all the power to you. I'm taking my time and money elsewhere until D3 get off their butts and lift their game.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Bowgentle said:
    Bad example.

Unlock? Yes.
    i think it's a very relevant example when this game prevents me from earning a character to begin with by not having an open slot. As I said earlier, the poor draw rate of MPQ means some four star characters have only 4 covers years later on my roster. Galaxy of Heroes doesn't penalize a player by having roster slots, nor does it take years to grind a character to maximum level. By putting in a little time, you are rewarded. They offer plenty of ways to earn gear and character shards. Realistic ways you earn by playing, not pure chance alone like this game does.

MPQ is basically telling you to pay for a slot and then you pray to RNGesus to somehow earn covers. It is simply too drawn out a process and this needs to change if they want to keep player attention.

If you think the system is fair, all the power to you. I'm taking my time and money elsewhere until D3 get off their butts and lift their game.

Of course it's not fair.
    Just objecting that SWGOH is much better in terms of grinding out stronger characters.
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    Even with RNG, it still shouldn't take you years to cover a 4*. If it does, you simply aren't playing the game enough. 
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,795 Chairperson of the Boards
    I play quite a lot and enjoy the game immensely but I'm starting to feel it. 31 4 stars still to champ even if you stopped them coming today that's a years iso. The 4 star cost is too high, fine when there were only 20 of them but now it's madness.

It will have to be changed like the other tiers before it or a 3 to 4 transition player is looking at a wall of 60+ four stars at nearly 400k each. That would have stopped me in my tracks 2 years ago and I wouldn't be here now.
  • BCblue27
    BCblue27 Posts: 16 Just Dropped In

After all of the additional bugs, glitches, and blatant lack of communication/solutions, I feel quite ready to abandon the game. It's a shame because it has such high potential for greatness and holds much fun when it functions properly but that has not happened for a while now. This week has really driven things into the ground for me.

However, I have been finding that a different game, Marvel Future Fight, has become very fun and far more relaxed to me now that I have started to get more into it. The best part is...IT FUNCTIONS PROPERLY!! I suppose I know what I will be playing during the interim while the umpteenth rerun of Deadpool vs MPQ is recharging next week. :)

• Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm not feeling the burnout, but I have to say that the nasty loading times and the (possible) bug-ridden difficulty of Strange Sights has given me a great excuse to take a few days off of heavy play. The loading times are not getting shorter or less frequent for me, like some others have reported - they're getting longer and more frequent. It's no big deal. I do DDQ, hammer out a couple of PvP matches, and then go do something else.
  • byc
    byc Posts: 297 Mover and Shaker
    I never got burnout from this game until recently.

I tend to like repetition in games, but I'm starting to feel the burnout too.  My entire August was not finishing PvE events, consistently not reaching even 400 in PvP, much less 575.  I didn't finish SHIELD (I didn't even get to 500).

I normally play at a pretty furious pace, but I've just had no motivation for doing so for the past month.  Could be just overall laziness and not MPQ, but who knows.
  • BoyWonder1914
    BoyWonder1914 Posts: 884 Critical Contributor
    Tony Foot said:
    I play quite a lot and enjoy the game immensely but I'm starting to feel it. 31 4 stars still to champ even if you stopped them coming today that's a years iso. The 4 star cost is too high, fine when there were only 20 of them but now it's madness.

It will have to be changed like the other tiers before it or a 3 to 4 transition player is looking at a wall of 60+ four stars at nearly 400k each. That would have stopped me in my tracks 2 years ago and I wouldn't be here now.
    Similar boat. I'm one of those people who refuse to move on to the next tier until I have all of the previous tier champed, but that just can't happen with the 4 star tier unless we get a significant pause in new character release, or you're already more than halfway there. Your best best is to get ahead of the release schedule,  which takes some serious time and resources. 
  • Avalancher
    Avalancher Posts: 125 Tile Toppler
    I had been playing PvP on the top level for about 6 months, then had the summer off and lost my motivation. Shifted to another alliance within the family with a lower PvP minimum and went back to PvE top level and bingo!

Loving the game with both thumbs all over again.
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,299 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yes, it is why I have taken both the most recent Hunt and Strange Sights PvE completely off. So glad with all of the stuff wrong with Strange Sights too.  I still play DP daily but that only takes me 10 minutes so no burnout issue there. We will see what the next PvE brings.  If the progression 4* isn't one that I need, I may take that one off too!
  • JSP869
    JSP869 Posts: 822 Critical Contributor
    bluewolf said:
    I am not sure what other result than "burnout" was expected when the PVE (AKA biggest grind time requirement) was upped from 4 to 5 clears for max progression.  That led to higher scores, and more people going to 6 clears, and 7 now being absolutely required for good placement (not so previously, in my experience, when just 6 sometimes got a 4* cover).  That 7th clear is just sometimes demoralizing - no node rewards, just points that you hope are going to be enough.  I am leaving aside the overgrinding....a whole 'nother ball of wax.

But when you do your best to do 7 optimal clears and realize it isn't enough...and you just missed t10 (or whatever) again...you sometimes think "What a complete waste of time those 7th clears were.  There went 1-2 hours of my week for nothing (maybe 1 3 star cover, I suppose.)"  

I am not sure any solution exists since the only way to discern placement is by time put in...but still.

The best advice for each player is to decide to take an event easy every so often.
    With currently only 10 Champion 4-stars I realize I'm still transitioning into the 4-star game. On a good day with the right characters boosted (for the event, not counting my own Boosts) I can do the two sets of clears inside an hour, each, so two hours per day. Even with that, in SCL 8 (in my experience) that's often not good enough to finish in the top 100. If I want to have a chance of finishing inside the top 50/100 I have to drop down to SCL 4/5, and SCL 2/3 if I want a top 10 spot. Even then competition can still be fierce and I'm more likely to win up with a top 25 place.

So now I typically just play for the Progression Rewards and couldn't be arsed about placement. To be fair to D3 though, I'm actually happy playing this way. I played WoW for years. I played it far too often and for far too long, and when I wasn't playing I was thinking about it. When I was supposed to be working, I was researching builds and raid strategies...or on Blizzard's Forums, kind of like I'm doing now with MPQ. Heh. So I'm trying to play MPQ casually. Trying to. I don't need it to have a Raiding schedule, so for the most part I'm happy just taking my time and playing for Progression. I have to, because I'm obviously not geared enough to run with the big boys.

That said, when I do get every Progression Reward during one event I often do feel "burned out" and so I'll take it easy on the next event. Of course 'taking it easy' still typically means getting the 4-star cover, but not pushing on for the remaining rewards.
  • Wumpushunter
    Wumpushunter Posts: 627 Critical Contributor
    Yes, now with only a few hundred day in the devs fixing some problems and ignoring others is almost my last straw.  Fix ALL the bugs just not the ones that give players 8% more 5 stars on a token.
  • Arphaxad
    Arphaxad Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    Just to compound the grind problem, now we have required 5 star nodes. Like players have playable 5 stars without them being boosted at all. Placement rewards will be for whales only now.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    It seems like I'm seeing more of my alliance members burning out and dropping and it's getting harder each time to find replacements.  
  • BatteryHorse
    BatteryHorse Posts: 124 Tile Toppler
    It's been a lot lately.  I find myself wanting to spend my limited free time on other things, but feeling compelled to do more to contribute to my alliance and to satisfy whatever evil voice in my head insists is enough.  With the addition of the new 5* node the PvE grind has gotten longer if you want to keep up, and I end up feeling like PvP is a chore I have to finish.  

And then I play guitar or go to the gym or play some 2k18 and I remember that MPQ doesn't give me much pleasure for the amount of time it consumes.  I need to find a happy medium where I'm enjoying the game again.  I have a 45 min bus ride to and from work, that's about how much time I'd like to put into the game.  
  • animaniactoo
    animaniactoo Posts: 486 Mover and Shaker
    I'd pulled back and found a balance. Stopped doing 7 clears. Stopped needing to clear it all right away. Stopped worrying about timing final clears, did one a couple of hours early, and then the final one during the last hour. Chose to be happy with T50, rather than competing for T20 and sometimes T10.

And then the 5 star essential node arrived. I dropped down to SCL7 immediately as I'm not ready to deal with the 400 level in SCL8. I mean, maybe I am but I don't feel like I am and I like a challenge but I don't like feeling beleaguered and chewing through healthpacks.

Anyway. In the end, I've still hit burnout. I realized that honestly it's because of the sheer number of now required matches to play to clear the nodes on a daily basis and be even remotely competitive (or at least keep up pace) with development of new characters, etc. If I can't get ahead or keep up, I'm not having much fun, I'm falling further and further behind. On the flip side of that, I was holding course at being happy with development at 9X6 = 54, plus a feeder node and unlock node or so, call it about 56 clears a day. It was a bit excessive, but kinda manageable. In that I managed my life around it and have been getting increasingly dissatisfied with that. 

Add the 6 clears for the 5* Essential and at 62 clears per day I'm not having fun. I opened UI8, but haven't done anything beyond getting the sub open. Took one look at the essential nodes and noped out of there this morning. Whether I end up just taking off the event or more than that remains to be seen.
  • therightwaye
    therightwaye Posts: 459 Mover and Shaker
    Not totally burned out. But I swear if I have to watch another 30 seconds of character animations. Or wait for Daken's Pheromone Rage to complete. I'm going to destroy yet another bathroom stall.