Doomed to never be happy about changes ?

Options

Comments

• Wumpushunter
    Wumpushunter Posts: 627 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Wumpushunter said:
    So how many of your old useless 4s have you sold to cover Eddie Brock and Mordo?
    Implying you need to sell 4*s to cover new ones.
    Come on champ, is this really the hill you want to die on? Power isn't limited to a small handful of legacy 4*s. Carol is arguably the strongest in the tier, Rocket&Groot can finish matches before I've had a chance to gather the AP for their active abilities, the newly reworked RiRi is a damage dealing monster.
    I've got a 0/1/0 Chulk, but if you offered me the choice between covers for him or Vulture, I'm going with the newer character.
    Yes this  hill, governor.  My meaning was no one is giving up all those "bad" fours to cover the new characters if they were really so awful ditch em. Save some roster space for star lord the pathetic and Mordo the maligned. So telling new people don't worry about them is a bit hypocritical. 
  • DrDevilDinosaur
    DrDevilDinosaur Posts: 436 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Wumpushunter said:
    So how many of your old useless 4s have you sold to cover Eddie Brock and Mordo?
    Implying you need to sell 4*s to cover new ones.
    Come on champ, is this really the hill you want to die on? Power isn't limited to a small handful of legacy 4*s. Carol is arguably the strongest in the tier, Rocket&Groot can finish matches before I've had a chance to gather the AP for their active abilities, the newly reworked RiRi is a damage dealing monster.
    I've got a 0/1/0 Chulk, but if you offered me the choice between covers for him or Vulture, I'm going with the newer character.
    Yes this  hill, governor.  My meaning was no one is giving up all those "bad" fours to cover the new characters if they were really so awful ditch em. Save some roster space for star lord the pathetic and Mordo the maligned. So telling new people don't worry about them is a bit hypocritical. 

But why would I sell them? Vaulting enabled me to get further ahead on ISO, HP, and roster slots than I had ever been before. The reason I only have a 1 cover Chulk is that I couldn't afford to keep him and whatever new character at some point before his rework. I did ditch him then. That one cover now came from a 3*Hulk champ reward while vaulting was in effect. I was able to drop the 2000 HP for him and Sandman in the same week and still have plenty of HP left over.

As far as I can remember, the only thing I lost from not having him rostered was the LT from his Crash of the Titans and 4 or 6 CP all up from his turns in Big Burrito. I don't recall that he was a required 4* during that time. Going forward, I won't be able to win Crash with him for a while, but a single cover is enough to use him in any PvE required nodes and in Big Burrito.

HP? Swimming in it.

ISO? Not as much as I'd like, but I can still take a 4* from lvl 70 to champ in about 14 days - I just need to be a little selective and a little patient with my Tokens/CP.

So why would I sell my old 4* characters?

I'm not saying "Don't worry about the older characters", I'm saying "Don't worry about the older characters at the expense of the new ones". With the exception of Sandman, any one of the current 12 at level 270 would be just as good for your progression as a level 270 Hulkbuster/Jean Grey/Iceman/etc. Arguably moreso, since you'll actually likely to earn champ levels and they are more likely to be featured.

I'm trying to work out what position you're arguing - you want veteran players to sell their Eddie Brock Venom so that they don't have to buy a slot for Mordo? Or at least you think it's hypocritical for them to give that advice to new players because the veterans don't do it themselves? Let's be honest - that's naïve at best and a false equivalence logical fallacy at worst. But, I've come this far, so let's play your little Kobayashi Maru.

Sell the Mordo cover.

If you're struggling to get the HP now, selling Venom to make room is only swapping one problem for another - and it'll be a much harder decision if you're forced to sell Venom again later. After you sell the Mordo cover, stop opening/buying Legendary Tokens until you have enough HP to roster a new character. Let this be a 1000 ISO lesson (much better than a 2500 ISO lesson from selling a 5*), and start working on getting your roster and resource gain to a point where you don't have to make this decision again.

• D4Ni13
    D4Ni13 Posts: 745 Critical Contributor
    Options
    babinro said:
    D4Ni13 said:
    The latest announcement about vintage heroes earned quite a reaction. Before this, most of the people were against vaulting. Now that the vaulting is gone, they're still not happy. I think this community (or part of it) is doomed to never be happy. Usually it's ok to be sceptical, but there is a limit.

You can call it 'doomed to never be happy' but the fact is people jump to conclusions and aren't always right about said conclusions in the long term.  That's not to say D3 always gets it right, they certainly don't...but the players don't always get it right either.
    And that's why we should stop the negativity and try to not jump to conclusions in the future. We don't want others to make the same mistake multiple times, but we can do the same mistake multiple times ? (and be defended for it ?) That's what I'm saying. 

It's a free to play game, chill out, play the game and see what happens in the long turn. (If you want to pay, then pay, but take responsability for it. You cannot expect everything to be perfect, just because you spent some money on the game... it's like real life... it will never be perfect). 

I play this game for almost 3 years, and it has improved big time. Why on earth do people think that in a fast changing envirovement, there will not be impactful changes and why are these people so reluctant to change itself, when, overall, this game is way way better than what it was 3 years ago ? 

This is a major problem in all the games on the market today. People complain about everything, and "the devs" (they are not the ones making decisions, but hey, lets assume they do for the sake of this conversation) are forced to lower the level of difficulty to please the community. See WoW for example (or HOTS, or other Blizzard games, or other MMO games in general), where the game has lost a lot of its difficulty.

Why play the game if it doesn't challenge you ? What do you gain from it ? Really now. If things didn't change, than most of us would not play this game anymore... 
  • Wumpushunter
    Wumpushunter Posts: 627 Critical Contributor
    Options
    My position is all the vets are arguing for vaulting because they have all those old characters who in my opinion are head and shoulders above most of the new 12.  When people were talking about taking down bosses in the sinster 6 it wasn't mordo or venom they were using it was still Iceman, Peggy, and others that were vaulted away. Im saying you cant really know the struggle of not having characters because you have them.

Basically, if you got 10 or more champed old vaulted characters you cant have a fully informed  opinion on vaulting because you arent really damaged by them locking characters away from you. All you get is benefit no detriment.

• NewMcG
    NewMcG Posts: 368 Mover and Shaker
    edited July 2017
    Options
    My position is all the vets are arguing for vaulting because they have all those old characters who in my opinion are head and shoulders above most of the new 12.  When people were talking about taking down bosses in the sinster 6 it wasn't mordo or venom they were using it was still Iceman, Peggy, and others that were vaulted away. Im saying you cant really know the struggle of not having characters because you have them.

Basically, if you got 10 or more champed old vaulted characters you cant have a fully informed  opinion on vaulting because you arent really damaged by them locking characters away from you. All you get is benefit no detriment.

Except they aren't, really at all. Characters like IMHB and Teen Jean were meta-defining, and are now easy pickings, as remnants of the "save for a big nuke, and wipe everyone out in one shot" meta game. Now? Against a faster team that exists now at the same level, they're downed before they can accumulate the AP for anything that might threaten the new big guns.

When un-boosted, Iceman is now basically useful for his stun, because his green is expensive and his purple fuels his blue and powers his green. Peggy's still decently useful, but when she isn't boosted? Use the quick hitting new characters to get her under her AP-raising threshold, and she's lost a big chunk of her usefulness, often in a handful of turns. 

You go ahead and build up these old characters, which you consider "head and shoulders above the new characters" and those with the new 12 will use the likes of Carol, C&D, R&G, Gamora, Couson, Riri, Vulture, Mockingbird, and even maybe the reworked Mordo (aka 3/4 of the current 12 as of next month) to tear through your team of relics of the golden age of giant nukes. (It's almost like the newest 12 are actually really, really good.)
  • D4Ni13
    D4Ni13 Posts: 745 Critical Contributor
    edited July 2017
    Options
    New McG said:
    Except they aren't, really at all. Characters like IMHB and Teen Jean were meta-defining, and are now easy pickings, as remnants of the "save for a big nuke, and wipe everyone out in one shot" meta game. Now? Against a faster team that exists now at the same level, they're downed before they can accumulate the AP for anything that might threaten the new big guns.

When un-boosted, Iceman is now basically useful for his stun, because his green is expensive and his purple fuels his blue and powers his green. Peggy's still decently useful, but when she isn't boosted? Use the quick hitting new characters to get her under her AP-raising threshold, and she's lost a big chunk of her usefulness, often in a handful of turns. 

You go ahead and build up these old characters, which you consider "head and shoulders above the new characters" and those with the new 12 will use the likes of Carol, C&D, R&G, Gamora, Couson, Riri, Vulture, Mockingbird, and even maybe the reworked Mordo (aka 3/4 of the current 12 as of next month) to tear through your team of relics of the golden age of giant nukes. (It's almost like the newest 12 are actually really, really good.)
    So and so. I find Iceman to be a threat, even if unboosted. His cheap stun is still the best in the game, and if he is well protected he still does a lot of damage. If you have Carol, Medusa and Iceman in the same team (for example) who do you choose to kill first ? Whoever you choose, the others will give you a hard time. 

Yes, maybe an oldschool team-up won't be that powersful unboosted, but you can combine new & old and come up with really devastating effects. Both old & new have their advantages, but I wouldn't say that one or the other are more powerful. It really depends on the team itself and how you combine their powers. Newer 4* tend to be a bit faster or have big nukes, but they also have conditions that you need to meet. Rulk, Hulkbuster, Iceman, Teen Jean are pretty straight forward. I think they are kind of balanced. 

Imagine Mokingbird with Iceman. Very powerful team up. 
  • MaskedMan
    MaskedMan Posts: 234 Tile Toppler
    Options
    It is impossible to please everyone ever.  That is a fact of life.  If you just gave out of money some people wouldn't trust you (someone actually did this once, walked around saying their "Handing out money" with hidden camera, and most people refused it and practically ran away) so no you can't make everyone happy.

What bugs me the most is that they can't have 2 vaults one with the 20 recent characters and one with vintage so both group will be relatively happy?  But no they assume (and probably rightly) that players aren't smart enough to figure out how to use 2 vaults and Customer Service will get buried in complaints of "I didn't understand", and "I'm not responsible for my actions, fix my account or I'll sue".  Sadly few people take the time to read instructions and then if something goes wrong, well it can't be their fault right?  

So if no one has a choice, no one can make a mistake.  Welcome to the Social Welfare state where someone else decides what is best for you because that is easiest for everyone else. 
  • Starfury
    Starfury Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Options

smkspy said:
    I freely admit that I was wrong about vaulting when it happened. I was definitely against it cause at the time I had zero of the 12 champed, all my champed 4s were vaulted, and most of the 12 only had a few covers. I was sitting on like 4 carol and 3 blade covers. Peggy and Wasp were my only highly coveredcharacters at around 9 each.

Today I have a 299 carol and 299 medusa. Not only that but my resources has exploded not just from champ levels, but also from the 3 star vaulting that leveled up a great many 3s.

I'm initially against this change right now, but I will give it time. It's nice to have access to vaulted 4s again, but I think they've gone about it wrong because dilution, the major reason they vaulted in the first place, is back and 3x a chance for a latest really isn't much.

Like vaulting though, time will tell.

Edit: And I get why some people hate BH. It's pure luck and some of us were really lucky and some were unlucky. And hoarding never affected BH, that luck % reset with every pull just like 5 star percentages. 
    Don't think of it as 3x the chance. It really isn't that.

It's a fixed 3.54% chance of pulling a cover for a character in the latest 12.
    Vaulting was a fixed 7.08% chance of pulling a cover for a character in the latest 12.

In a few months, the factor is going to be 4x, in a year it's going to be 5x.

No matter how many characters are in the game, covering the latest 12 is always going to stay as easy or difficult as it is now. (Unlike the old system, where dilution made it more and more difficult to cover any 4* if you started from scratch)
  • Alsmir
    Alsmir Posts: 508 Critical Contributor
    Options
    sh81 said:
    Probably because people initially against it wouldnt have had time to adjust and understand its benefits.

Vaulting was always a good thing.

What was bad was not having access to older covers as well.  Having that choice removed, having all that resource effectively locked and wasted, was the problem - not vaulting itself.

Vaulting worked fantastically well, and was a huge benefit to the players.

Ahh, great, so you speak for all the players and you're another one of "it was good for me so it means it was good for everyone". Too bad my ignore list is full.
  • Starfury
    Options
    sh81 said:

Having been a victim of dillution, and a beneficiary of vaulting (and I wasnt a fan at all at first), I feel I have a valid opinion on the change.  We have returned to dilution, I dont like that.  And I feel the same issues that plagued me then will return now.

That's just not true.

The latest 12 still don't suffer from any dilution. They just had their draw rates halved. But in a year, they'll still be just as accessible as they are now. If there was any dilution, that wouldn't be the case.
  • Starfury
    edited July 2017
    Options
    If we'd move from the latest 12 to the latest 13 and then the latest 14 and so on, then we'd be back to a diluted system. But that's not what's happening.

The latest 12 don't suffer from dilution. They had their draw rates halfed. That's not the same thing, no matter how much you don't like that reduction in draw rate.

The vintage 4* still suffer from dilution, just as they did before under vaulting. After all we still get a fixed amount of covers that's shared among an ever bigger pool of vintage 4* characters. The difference is that now the amount of covers we get has been increased again, from an absolutely crippling 1-2 a week (from progression rewards and the 4* pulled from vaults) to 50% of your 4* pulls.

Again, you may agree or disagree that this is a good thing, but it's not the same thing as dilution. Someone who starts the game next year is going to have just as easy (or difficult) a path to champ a reasonable number of 4* characters who someone who starts now.

• GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2017
    Options
    People are way too concerned with how others feel about changes as opposed to themselves.

The change is overall positive, if people have qualms, let them express them. 
  • Starfury
    Options
    sh81 said:

And half of my pulls are under the exact circumstance of the old system, which was dilution, which had so many issues the devs turned to vaulting.

You're still missing the crucial difference. Dilution before Vaulting meant that all 4* were getting harder to champ. Dilution on the vintage 4* means they are getting harder and harder to champ. The latest 12 are stable.

As far as dilution of the vintage 4* is concerned: I still haven't heard anyone suggest a way to solve that problem. Either you keep increasing the number of 4* pulls to keep up with the number of 4* or you start culling the oldest 4*.

To me it has never made sense to have almost 40 4* characters with no way of getting covers for them. If they're there, there needs to be a way to get them. And Bonus Heroes has never been that.

And as an aside: My personal impression is that the devs might actually have felt that during the last few months, people champed the latest 4* a bit too easily, so they're not unhappy about slowing down that progress somewhat. Why would anyone buy a release token pack for 16000 HP if you can just cash in your CP at the start of next season?
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2017
    Options
    sh81 said:
     For the most part new characters are far superior to the old ones (as I said, maybe 5 of 40+ that actually interest me).
    Sounds like bonus heroes is for you, then.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2017
    Options
    After some time to think my knee jerk reaction has settled down.  Ultimately this change is better for most people and I'm not going to rally against it like I did with vaulting.  There's really only one group it hits pretty hard and that's people deep in 4* transition with a lot of 5 covered non-champed 4*s and even then it's still better than the pre-vaulting solution.

The only change I'd like to see them make is to change Latest to the vaulted solution and leave Vintage as is now.  I don't think it will happen, but I think that would be a really good compromise of both systems and let people chose which system they want to live with.

Edit:  I flew off the handle largely because I had a good plan setup and that needs to be retooled again.  I don't do well with last second changes to plans especially with little to no warning.  Getting some notice so hoards like me could cash out in the old system if we chose to would have been nice.  Not sure why they wouldn't want to do this as it also might have prompted purchases for people desperate to finish off a few of the last 12 before the change.
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2017
    Options
    @starfury

People have throw around dozens of suggeations. My personal suggestion is to increase the latest 20.charcters: 12 latest and 8 vaulted.

Every season they can rotate in a batch of 8 vaulted charcters.

Other than the theory that D3 was losing money on packs, I personally don't how this suggestion could not go wrong.

Don't like the current vaulted hkard. Like the current eight pull away. Pretty much a win win for everyone.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,927 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Starfury said:
    sh81 said:

Of course, we know thats never going to happen.  So instead, while I was broadly keeping up with the release rate, I am now going to be forever behind.  And Ill be wasting more and more pulls while pulling tokens for vaulted characters I cant use or dont want.
    Oh come on!!!

You weren't just keeping up, you were champing them far ahead of schedule. Your Sandman is at 11 covers and he's been in the latest 12 for 1 of 8 seasons., your Vulture's at 6 a week after he's entered tokens. You champed C4ge who was only in the latest 12 for two seasons.

Look, if I wasn't convinced that 3.5% instead of 7% was easily enough to cover the latest 12, I'd be totally opposed to this move as well. But you're complaining about things that won't even happen.
    sh81 said:

My preferred solution was a second vault.  Another token, "Vintage" containing 12 vaulted characters.  This would then rotate its contents periodically (Id be happy with weekly, but even if it was every season Id be fine).

Vaulting proved that it works.  It works REALLY well, so why not apply it to vintage tokens as well?

Rotating vaults wouldn't change a thing. Vaulting didn't increase the speed of cover acquisition by dividing characters into pools of 12, it worked by removing almost 40 characters from tokens. The moment you open a second vault, you either don't pull from it, or you're splitting your progress between the latest 12 and the guys in the other vault. Or you just ignore it and we're back where we were with vaulting, where 75% of the 4* roster are essentially shelved.

On top of it, you'd just get monthly threads complaining about why they "deliberately" put Rulk in a pool with Ghost Rider, Kingpin and Nick Fury and why they pulled twice as many Mr. Fantastic, Elektra and Failcaps as they got Iceman and Peggy.

It's more work for the devs for the same overall effect as this change had.

There's so much truth here. The fact that our cover acquisition rate is the same is probably the biggest point that he's missing. WE are not subjected to wasted pulls (well no more so than before).  That's a huge misconception.  If you have no use for a character and want to skip them, focusing only on the newer shinies than yeah, YOU will have covers you CHOOSE to waste. I have a Fury dying on the vine so will stop pulling until I champ him. I'm choosing not to have wasted pulls.

The only way I will waste pulls is the dreaded 6th cover which has happened to me under every system (pre-vaulting, vaulting, and post-vaulting).
  • revskip
    revskip Posts: 975 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Starfury said:
    sh81 said:

Of course, we know thats never going to happen.  So instead, while I was broadly keeping up with the release rate, I am now going to be forever behind.  And Ill be wasting more and more pulls while pulling tokens for vaulted characters I cant use or dont want.
    Oh come on!!!

You weren't just keeping up, you were champing them far ahead of schedule. Your Sandman is at 11 covers and he's been in the latest 12 for 1 of 8 seasons., your Vulture's at 6 a week after he's entered tokens. You champed C4ge who was only in the latest 12 for two seasons.

Look, if I wasn't convinced that 3.5% instead of 7% was easily enough to cover the latest 12, I'd be totally opposed to this move as well. But you're complaining about things that won't even happen.
    sh81 said:

My preferred solution was a second vault.  Another token, "Vintage" containing 12 vaulted characters.  This would then rotate its contents periodically (Id be happy with weekly, but even if it was every season Id be fine).

Vaulting proved that it works.  It works REALLY well, so why not apply it to vintage tokens as well?

Rotating vaults wouldn't change a thing. Vaulting didn't increase the speed of cover acquisition by dividing characters into pools of 12, it worked by removing almost 40 characters from tokens. The moment you open a second vault, you either don't pull from it, or you're splitting your progress between the latest 12 and the guys in the other vault. Or you just ignore it and we're back where we were with vaulting, where 75% of the 4* roster are essentially shelved.

On top of it, you'd just get monthly threads complaining about why they "deliberately" put Rulk in a pool with Ghost Rider, Kingpin and Nick Fury and why they pulled twice as many Mr. Fantastic, Elektra and Failcaps as they got Iceman and Peggy.

It's more work for the devs for the same overall effect as this change had.

There's so much truth here. The fact that our cover acquisition rate is the same is probably the biggest point that he's missing. WE are not subjected to wasted pulls (well no more so than before).  That's a huge misconception.  If you have no use for a character and want to skip them, focusing only on the newer shinies than yeah, YOU will have covers you CHOOSE to waste. I have a Fury dying on the vine so will stop pulling until I champ him. I'm choosing not to have wasted pulls.

The only way I will waste pulls is the dreaded 6th cover which has happened to me under every system (pre-vaulting, vaulting, and post-vaulting).
    Actually for anyone who had all the 12 champed we are subjected to vastly more wasted pulls.  With the old system anything I pulled was a champ level for a 4* I had already champed or a 5*.  With this new hybrid I could pull a 6th cover of 8 different characters who I have at less than 12 covers but with 5 in a color.  Those covers will almost certainly get trashed because I have no way to reliably get the other missing covers in a two week window.  

With the old system when I got my newest character's extra covers over six I could reasonably hoard for two weeks, set them as a BH and get the missing cover as either a BH pull or a regular pull.  Did so with both Gamora and Sandman when I ended up with some dupes of each.  With this system brute forcing it is far less likely.  So I am absolutely faced with a lot more waste and forced to hoard again.  

Also forced to hoard more ISO than I previously did for similar reasons.  Since everything was a champ level I was going back and doing a different vaulted 4* every 1 1/2 weeks.  If I got a progression reward I wasn't expecting that would result in a 14th cover I would just slightly alter my plan and champ the character at 14 with still plenty of time to get to the second one in my champing plan.  So I didn't really bother keeping much of a stockpile of ISO, maybe 50K at a time to be able to flip my farmed 2*s.  Now I am shooting for at least 700K so that if I get anything from progression or placement that I didn't have factored in I don't have to worry about champing under the gun or wasting a cover.  
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Yeah, I think for a lot of us with both several unchamped vaulted and 10 to 12 covered vaulted, the only potential waste came from an event vault pull or off-season token pull.

I was about to champ my Iron Fist when I pulled 14th and 15th Xavier just experimenting with the new system. I'll probably manage to champ both, but my number of wasted pulls went from zero to 27 in just one day.

I'll manage cause I already have a good roster, but I think people with developing rosters are going to be right back where they were before vaulting.

Time will tell just like with vaulting.