Vintage Characters Returning to Packs! (7/27/17)

Options

Comments

• Platty616
    Platty616 Posts: 39 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Hmm, time will tell on this, can't decide if it's a terrible idea, or a massive money making idea by D3go. However I now have a chance of championing my X-23, which after opening 3 tonight and pulling 3x cloak and dagger (I don't have them in my team) will still take an eternity, and yes I've read about the odds of latest v vintage, but still, 3 of the same??
  • TheWerebison
    TheWerebison Posts: 431 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I don't know how I should be feeling about this. Yay, I guess?

The bigger issue to me is that we have more 4* than 3*, with more on the way, yet there is no rotating 4* in DDQ. It's time to face it, mostly relying on 3* is no longer the spot people should be stuck in. We are flooded with 4* now, and barely have enough iso to level them.
  • abominatrix
    abominatrix Posts: 221 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I think this change is fine, and much better than the board-approved position of splitting the newest and older into different token packs, which always seemed unworkable to me (put the latest into the 25CP pack and the rest into the 20CP pack? Put the oldest into the "Latest Legend" pack?... I just don't see an answer that isn't worse than the problem without a much more significant change from the devs...). 

Of course, the original vaulting decision was made to help out newer players who didn't have older 4* decently covered (or champed), and this decision will make their life harder. But, for those of us who have full 3/4* rosters, this is a good move. Looking forward to eventually champing Bobby and X-23 more quickly than just setting the bonus hero, although I was finally able to champ Peggy because of it.

• Yepyep
    Yepyep Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    Options
    This has already worked out well for me: I got a Wasp today, a character I would really like to advance. Plus I got a bonus along with her, which was delicious.
  • Beer40
    Beer40 Posts: 826 Critical Contributor
    Options
    What happens to the Heroes for Hire store now? And did the spending on that store affect this change, I wonder?
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    revskip said:
    Not a huge fan of the change.  I liked being able to target the newest characters and slowly build up the vaulted characters with bonus heroes.  I was able to make quick progress on newer characters while filling in gaps in the vintage ones and my roster was growing at a great pace.  This extra layer of RNG will slow things down a lot.  

Finished champing all of the latest 12 last season and was finally getting some of the old top tier guys knocked out with both Thor and Iceman getting some champ love.  

Definitely preferred the vaulting.  Unlike the people who hated that though, I'll just suck it up and not create 60 threads about how bad it screws up my plans.  

Pretty much my thoughts as well. I used bonus heroes to build 90% of vaulted characters. Only Drax was left behind at 8 covers. For us high CP earners, the system worked well.

This will benefit young rosters, but still really don't feel like it was the best approach, just as blunt a solution as vaulting was a blunt solution to dilution.
  • n25philly
    n25philly Posts: 426 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    broll said:
    @Brigby

So tell me if I understand the new odds right.

5* = 15% (unchanged)
    4* overall = 85% (unchanged)
    • 4* Latest 12 = 85% * 75% (or 3x 25%) = 64%
    • 4* Vintage = 85% * 25% = 21%
    So odds are now:
    5* = 15%
    Vintage 4* = 21%
    Latest 4* = 64%
    No, Vintage and latest 4* are 50/50 as far as pulls go.  the 3x on the latest is because there are only 12, so it's 3x the chance of pulling a specific latest as opposed to a specific vintage.
  • ZeiramMR
    ZeiramMR Posts: 1,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    @broll

• 4* Latest 12 = 85% * 50% = 42.5%
    • 4* Vintage = 85% * 50% = 42.5%
    When you divide by the number of characters in each set, you get about 3.54% for a specific latest 4* and about 1.09% for a specific vintage 4*
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2017
    Options
    n25philly said:
    broll said:
    @Brigby

5* = 15% (unchanged)
    So odds are now:
    5* = 15%
    Vintage 4* = 21%
    Latest 4* = 64%
    No, Vintage and latest 4* are 50/50 as far as pulls go.  the 3x on the latest is because there are only 12, so it's 3x the chance of pulling a specific latest as opposed to a specific vintage.
    ugh, that's even worse than I thought...

Edit:  That doesn't seem to make sense, there may be 3x more now, but that number would change each season.  Are they gonna update the graphic every season?  That seems silly and odd...
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I think this change is fine, and much better than the board-approved position of splitting the newest and older into different token packs, which always seemed unworkable to me (put the latest into the 25CP pack and the rest into the 20CP pack? Put the oldest into the "Latest Legend" pack?... I just don't see an answer that isn't worse than the problem without a much more significant change from the devs...). 

A rotating set of 8 vaulted characters to make the token pull 20 characters. Don't like the vintage characters, hoard til you get a set you do like. Change them up every two weeks or per season.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2017
    Options
    broll said:
    @Brigby

5* = 15% (unchanged)
    So odds are now:
    5* = 15%
    Vintage 4* = 21%
    Latest 4* = 64%
    see my earlier post about fixing the odds splash page.  This is a completely avoidable bit of confusion.

But no, as i read it:

In any given LT:
    15% chance 5*
    42.5% chance of a new 4* (so a 3.54% chance of each)
    42.5% chance of a vintage 4* (individual odds change as pool grows but currently around 1.15%)
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Vhailorx said:
    broll said:
    @Brigby

5* = 15% (unchanged)
    So odds are now:
    5* = 15%
    Vintage 4* = 21%
    Latest 4* = 64%
    see my earlier post about fixing the odds splash page.  This is a completely avoidable bit of confusion.

But no, as i read it:

In any given LT:
    15% chance 5*
    42.5% chance of a new 4* (so a 3.54% chance of each)
    42.5% chance of a vintage 4* (individual odds change as pool grows but currently around 1.15%)
    So now your odds of getting any one particular 4* are as bad as 5* numbers.
    LTs Odds per character
    5* 5.00%
    4* (Latest 12) 3.54%
    4* (Vinatage) 1.01%
    VTs
    5* 1.07%
    4* (Latest 12) 3.54%
    4* (Vinatage) 1.01%

• Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm ecstatic. I can finally cover and champ Iceman, Peggy, Moon Knight, Kate Bishop and all the other 4* without truckloads of CP!

Thanks D3!
  • Avalanche Kincaid
    Avalanche Kincaid Posts: 83 Match Maker
    Options
    This change is the bee's knees!!!  I did like getting the newest above 300 so fast, but now I don't have to leave behind quality 4*'s (moon knight, how i long for you to get to 330).  I guess I should of tried harder in vulture and M. Bird will now need to be grinded hard, oh ya, M. Bird you know you want what i got.  Newer 4*'s will still outpace the old and smelly ones, but fantastic change!!  I'm going to buy an M. Bird PvP 40 pack to show my appreciation.  Thanks Dudes!!1!!!!1one
  • Milk Jugz
    Milk Jugz Posts: 1,122 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Beer40 said:
    Please email @Fightmastermpq and reinstate from the "banned" list because I'd love to hear the take on this  :D
    Oh he would have a field day...... Reinstate perma-ban in one...... two.....
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I came into the season with 5 legendaries and decided to wait until I had more iso to champ another 4* in R/G since they're at 12 covers. Well, now with this change I figured that the chances of pulling a R/G now would be pretty low so I decided to open them. Out of the five I got 5* Spidey and Agent Venom . With the other three and another 5 classics since I really want Vulture and also have no self control, I got Punisher, Wolvie, Chulk, 5* Hulk, Hawkeye, Falcap, Drax and Moon Knight. 10 pulls, only 2 newer ones and of course 0 bonus heroes. Not getting any Vulture covers is depressing.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    Nepenthe said:
    I would have preferred a different token so we'd have the choice between latest and vintage, but I consider this a decent compromise overall.  But I REALLY would have liked news of this before Monday when I opened my hoard!

Brigby, I'd said at some point that a fix for vaulting was what it'd take to get me spending any money again, so let the record show I just bought VIP for the first time.  (Now, about those SCL difficulty levels...)
    @Nepenthe
    Duly noted. Thanks for your support! (Ooh, is this the part where I get to say: Soon™ :p)

Brigby any talk on colorless covers or exchanging covers for 5* other than latest? maybe even 4*?
    @killerkoala
    The topic of the "unusable 6th cover" is something the developers are certainly aware of, but as of right now, I unfortunately don't have any information available to share.

broll said:
    Brigby

5* = 15% (unchanged)
    So odds are now:
    5* = 15%
    Vintage 4* = 21%
    Latest 4* = 64%
    @broll
    Ahh number-crunching. Apologies, but I'm afraid I don't have any information pertaining to the pull rate available to communicate.