Vintage Characters Returning to Packs! (7/27/17)

Options

Comments

• Starfury
    Starfury Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Options
    ZeroKarma said:

I would suggest to everyone here that this system looks like it could be easily adapted to the existing 5* situation. If that sort of change were to be made without warning, there would be pitchforks, torches and angry townsfolk. 
    This is the 5* system

You get a fixed chance of pulling a cover (5% for 5* or 3.5% for 4*) for a fixed amount of time (4 months for 5*, 8 months for 4*) and afterwards, you get a steadily decreasing chance for the rest of time.

Only difference is that we can't choose which pool we're aiming for.
  • gravel
    gravel Posts: 585 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I like the change.  It was nice to add levels to a couple of previously vaulted 4s after the update.  It will also slow down the progress of the new 4s a little so I don't need to be ready to champ them within a couple of weeks of the new season.
  • DCUDCU
    DCUDCU Posts: 131 Tile Toppler
    edited July 2017
    Options
    For those trying to calculate odds.

There are 39 4* with regular odds, and 12 with 3x odds.

So if you were to combine all 4* together:

Regular Odds: 39 characters * 3 colors = 117 combinations.

12 with 3x Odds: 12 charcters * 3 colors * 3 for additional odds = 108 combinations.

So odds of a 4* is 6/7, odds of any 4* being one of the new 12 is then 108/(108+117) = 48%.

So actual odds of a new 4* star(ie 3x odds) is now 42%.

Old 4* = 43.7%
    New 4* = 42%
    5* = 14.3%

*This is for 20 CP tokens.
  • elvy75
    elvy75 Posts: 225 Tile Toppler
    Options
    on one side i like that i will finally manage to get my old 4* to more useful levels, but i will cover latest much later than i did now. Token dilution though doesnt hit me much in the 4* area as much as in 5* so i really wonder if there are plans to finally do something about classic tokens
  • Elric_VIII
    Elric_VIII Posts: 103 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I may be in the minority here, but I am in support of this change. I think it could have been handled better with a latest/classic store split, but as a player with at least 1 of every cover, this lets me build my roster somewhat evenly. Overall I'm happy with this.
  • DCUDCU
    DCUDCU Posts: 131 Tile Toppler
    edited July 2017
    Options
    One more math nerd thing:

Champing a 3x 4* increases your odds of not having an unusable 4* token by 3.4%.
    Champing a 1x 4* increases your odds of not having an unusable 4* token by 1.2%.

Yes I made a spreadsheet for myself to track the odds of having a bad token opening.
  • madok
    madok Posts: 905 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Really not liking this for the noob Steam account. I had just finished work on rostering all of the latest 12 + vulture and was looking forward to trying to work on expanding them. It is a nice change of pace to play in the 3* meta in PVE and now I'm going to be trashing more covers there.

I liked the idea of just letting us choose a few (if any) vintage covers that could show up in tokens. That gives folks the means to work on specific older characters but still beef up the latest 12.
  • justsing
    justsing Posts: 507 Critical Contributor
    edited July 2017
    Options
    My initial reaction is that this is a great change. We'll see how it plays out. Thanks to the devs for listening to the community and being open to tweaking vaulting.
  • Punter1
    Punter1 Posts: 722 Critical Contributor
    edited July 2017
    Options

I just champed Gamora on the weekend and max covered Sandman which with Vulture in packs put me at 10 champed, 1 maxed and Vulture in the latest 12. 

Since I picked up some older Char covers recently, my current ISO plan is Nova, Miles, X-23 before heading back to do Sandman.  All the while hoarding since I didn't need any covers in the 4* packs.

In theory I should be applauding this change, but like a few others I'd got use to the latest 12 as it focused the ISO demand and resulted in way less wasted covers. 

Of the 53 4*, I have 31 champs, but 12 more at max covers and another 8 at 11 or 12 covers.  That leaves just Howard and Vulture at less that are really crying out for covers.  So I don't need cover variety as I've gone from only about a 10% wasted cover pull chance (Sandman) to much higher (need to do the math).

Edit to add - I like the idea of increased access to the older chars, but would prefer to have that as a choice, not something I have no choice with, i.e. a separate token.  This feels like the Win Count thing, the idea is decent, but the implementation isn't the greatest.

• ZeiramMR
    ZeiramMR Posts: 1,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2017
    Options
    @Brigby - Separate question: With the vintage characters back in tokens, I am guessing the off-season PVPs in four weeks will have normal Heroic tokens as progression prizes instead of the Vintage Heroics?
  • Wumpushunter
    Wumpushunter Posts: 627 Critical Contributor
    Options
    So basically if you have champed fours up the wazoo you hate the change and if have few to none you love the change, that about sum it up?
  • farlus
    farlus Posts: 119 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Overall I'm happy with the change. Vaulting helped me focus and get over the hump of the 4* transition and I was up to 18 champed 4s, 9 of those being in the current latest with the addition of Vulture, but I was worried what life would be like after that. Luckily I don't have to find out. I set Vulture as my BH and made 75 classic pulls and 41 LT pulls. I ended up with some wasted covers but I still got Vulture champed, and got my Bucky and War Machine both up to 13/13 who have been sitting for 6 months. I feel like my entire roster is making progress again, not just 12 members of it.
  • BoyWonder1914
    BoyWonder1914 Posts: 884 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Say whaaaaaaaaaaaat!!! This makes me such a happy camper! I have literally no complaints about this. The only characters I even need these days are Eddie Brock and Spider Gwen, but the small chance of pulling them now with my CP still makes all the world of difference to me. Plus you still have the Bonus Heroes system. 
  • KinDM
    KinDM Posts: 72 Match Maker
    Options
    Going from 0% chance of a wasted cover to about a 27% chance, unless I stop the 5* transition and focus on championing bad 4* just to not waste covers. Not too mention the lower level rewards I'll be getting on half my pulls. Can someone with the game dev team explain why you don't want veterans to keep playing past a certain point, because it's really, really confusing me. 
  • ZeroKarma
    ZeroKarma Posts: 513 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Starfury said:
    ZeroKarma said:

I would suggest to everyone here that this system looks like it could be easily adapted to the existing 5* situation. If that sort of change were to be made without warning, there would be pitchforks, torches and angry townsfolk. 
    This is the 5* system

You get a fixed chance of pulling a cover (5% for 5* or 3.5% for 4*) for a fixed amount of time (4 months for 5*, 8 months for 4*) and afterwards, you get a steadily decreasing chance for the rest of time.

Only difference is that we can't choose which pool we're aiming for.

Not sure if you're understanding my meaning. They don't need Vintage Heroics anymore in this system. They also wouldn't need classic LT's in a 5* system. Just put them all in the same token, increase the odds to 20% from 15% and grant a higher chance to get the latest 3. 

Right now there are many magical hoards that are waiting for Doc Ock and Starlord to get out of packs so they can get Spidey and the next two 5*, because the assumption is they can't possibly be worse than those two. We're talking 6k or more cp for some people. 

If the LT's changed it would be a disaster to everyone hoarding right now. Which is why the devs need to c-o-m-m-u-n-I-c-a-t-e early enough for people to make some last minute decisions.