MPQ at Marvel.com: Mockingbird (7/26/17)

1235»

Comments

• escart85
    escart85 Posts: 54 Match Maker

FWIW, the book wasn't my favorite but the writing was solid.  That cover perfectly encapsulates the character.  
    Agree to disagree about the solid writing -'progressive feminist undead pirates' - for a moment I had to double check if it's actually deadpool I'm reading because I thought of that as a joke but in context of the whole run, it blatantly pushes a viewpoint and its no longer a joke of any sorts; the other thing was the childhood depiction in issue #3 - cherrypicking only male heroes to prove a weak point for the motivation of the female protagonist. The cover? It perfectly encapsulates the writer's agenda in that 8 issue run. A good written book would've lasted longer. This was released before marvel started rebooting books from issue no 1 every year. Besides, given the long history Mockingbird has in marvel comics, this particular run is a poor choice in my opinion although this is the only solo run.
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2017
    @revskip

It's all good, just see so much confusing criticism as complaining or like I said about something being inappropriate as being offended.

Seems like the longer the internet is around, the less a lot of people understand context and meanings of the words we use. 

was more of a general rant than being directed you fwiw.

ETA: was mockingbird wearing that uniform before that short run?
  • Wumpushunter
    Wumpushunter Posts: 627 Critical Contributor
    Be careful of her yellow passiv. have  had her yellow fire off powers with detrimental effects like wolverine giving strike tiles or 2 star torch draining AP with black.
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    That's pretty cool: occasionally on the character select screen before a match, she'll be wearing her feminism t-shirt.

I guess that solves all the problems of people saying the chosen cover doesn't look like her in-game art.
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2017
    smkspy said:
    ETA: was mockingbird wearing that uniform before that short run?
    It looks like an evolution of the outfit she adopted after Secret Invasion in 2009:

http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/File:New_Avengers_The_Reunion_Vol_1_1_page_-_Barbara_Morse_%26_Clinton_Barton_(Earth-616).jpg

• mega ghost
    mega ghost Posts: 1,154 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2017
    smkspy said:

Fair enough, but my strawman argument for you is that you're taking the single word "feminism" rather the entire phrase, the context of that cover being created in the first place, and the fallout afterwards. Knowing all of that, it's not hard to see why one might find this cover inappropriate.

Then you tried to used that comics have always been political, but other than the characters (and initial Dark Reign story) themselves, the game is as out of touch with thematic ideas of the comics as you can possibly get. 

I take that part back, Iceman bio clearly makes an allusion to him finding out he is gay, but at least, it isn't staring you in the face every time one sees the cover.
    I guess for the purpose of the discussion I didn't see an important distinction between the word "feminist" and the sentence "Ask me about my feminist agenda" and I'm unsure as to why someone who would react negatively to the sentence wouldn't have the same reaction to the word — isn't that the contentious bit, or am I missing something? Certainly it's not just the notion of agendas.

What was the context of the cover being created, besides simple characterization? It's possible I am out of the loop there. I'm familiar with the fallout, but I find it absurd and baseless, not a sensitive issue with any gray areas or notable considerations. And as such I think that walking on eggshells around it just gives credence to damaging ignorance. And just in case it is unclear, I am not accusing you of this ignorance, I am just trying to explain that my lack of reverence for the controversy was not a straw man argument, I was just hoping we could get to the meat of things without having to explain why being upset by the cover is an invalid stance.

smkspy said:

As I said I love the cover(I don't even buy single issue comics anymore and when out to get this), especially for the fallout that occurred after it, but of all the covers they could have picked, D3 intently picked this BECAUSE  they knew it would draw up controversy...I mean they needed something to distract us from her being a so-called demanded character lol.

Anyways, that's the last I'll say of it. Bad move or not, she looks like a fun character though I wish they based her off her AoS or classic design tbt.
    I'm not sure D3 is in the business of controversy, I think they just try to offer a passable, mostly-functioning match-3 game using highly-profitable IP. While I agree that the idea of Mockingbird being an in-demand character is contentious (I'm sure the top picks were mostly populated by X-Men and related characters, and that Bobbi was only one of the semi-popular answers that wasn't a property shared with Fox), my guess is that they selected the cover they did because either a staff member said "This one is cool" and they didn't think about it much past that, or because it was one of the few covers that offered any insight into her character. Which is important for casual fans... if you don't read the comics and you're not already a fan, you need some stepping stone to build up interest. No other cover offers a window into who she is, and one could easily confuse her for a litany of D-list characters.

But most likely, it was a quick decision made by one or two people on the fly because they're a small company with constant deadlines, lots of legal restrictions, and not much thought is going into things besides "Did we get the updates to Apple in time? Are they approved? Oh, Marvel wants us to do this character next? Ok, can Kevin work late? Ravi is on vacation next week and that's going to set us back. And have Marvel's lawyers approved our Yondu art yet or do they need more changes?"
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Wow, I came here to see what people thought of the character and found a bunch of people getting triggered by the word "feminist." Dubya-tee-eff.

Seriously who cares about the cover. If character gud, play with character.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Be careful of her yellow passiv. have  had her yellow fire off powers with detrimental effects like wolverine giving strike tiles or 2 star torch draining AP with black.
    Or Overdrive when hulkbuster doesn't have enough health left. Or Supernova that nearly kills (someone on) your team, and then ends the turn. XD

Probably best to try to craft a team for her where none of the powers have obvious downsides or conditions under which you really wouldn't want them fired.
  • Stick
    Stick Posts: 146 Tile Toppler
    I need to double check, but I think if she fires a board shuffle power, the tiles match still count for the opposing team. For example, I was doing the PvE and they had a Medusa on their team. I made the appropriate match 4, and Mockingbird's passive triggered, which fired Hair Meddle, which made a giant cascade that damaged their team, since it was still my turn.

I think. I'm sleepy.

Also, comic fans/gamers really need to stop getting triggered over the word "feminism" and it's variants. The world is a complex, scary place, and there really is much more important things to worry about.
  • GuntherBlobel
    GuntherBlobel Posts: 987 Critical Contributor
    edited August 2017
    Stick said:
    I need to double check, but I think if she fires a board shuffle power, the tiles match still count for the opposing team. For example, I was doing the PvE and they had a Medusa on their team. I made the appropriate match 4, and Mockingbird's passive triggered, which fired Hair Meddle, which made a giant cascade that damaged their team, since it was still my turn.

I think. I'm sleepy.

Also, comic fans/gamers really need to stop getting triggered over the word "feminism" and it's variants. The world is a complex, scary place, and there really is much more important things to worry about.
    Yes, I see the same thing happening.
  • heybub
    heybub Posts: 287 Mover and Shaker
    Stick said:

I think. I'm sleepy.

Yes, I see the same thing happening.
    Is that a bug? Seems like it shouldn't work that way...
  • Stick
    Stick Posts: 146 Tile Toppler
    It's weird, but I guess it makes sense. What happens if an enemy makes a match-5 on your turn? I guess technically the powers just say they swap x amount of tiles; they don't say they match them for your team or whatever. I guess that means you probably don't want to pair Mockingbird with heroes that have board shake.
  • zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah, it's like using Nick Fury's Demolition; you want the enemy to match his trap, but then it can trigger a cascade that damages you. or like getting a cascade sequence with Elektra's black where one of her teaps disappears and continues the cascade. The cascade itself will always be in favor of whoevers turn it is.