MPQ at Marvel.com: Mockingbird (7/26/17)

Options

Comments

• Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Interested in this.
  • ABaker84
    ABaker84 Posts: 90 Match Maker
    Options
    VariableJ said:
    As for the cover, I'm half-way surprised one of her abilities wasn't called "Smash the Patriarchy" - Downs all male enemies instantly.
    LMFAO. Right? I think the next Hero should be Al Bundy, founder on No Ma'am. He only has one power and it's passive, "completely unaffected by female powers"

• escart85
    escart85 Posts: 54 Match Maker
    Options
    Ducky said:
    ***Keep politics out of this thread and off of the forum. If you have an issue with the cover, send in a ticket to CS regarding your displeasure.***

Adding politics in the game - fine.  Expressing positive opinions about the cover - Fine.    Disliking the cover  - sit down and shut up. 

I didnt notice anything unusual till now. The cover choice was intentional.  Issue 3 cover or issues 7 from the same run are much better choice because they show her in costume. I don't have anything against the character choice.
  • fanghoul
    fanghoul Posts: 311 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I did not type a bad word were it now says tinykitty.

I just want that to be clear.  The word replaced is a reference to her unwanted relationship with a certain ghostly cowboy.  A bad thing to happen, but not profanity.

Thanks for clarifying that, I was confused.

As for why it's replaced (not to start yet another unrelated discussion in this thread), it might be to avoid people using it colloquially or in threats, which could make this a less welcoming forum.
  • SpringSoldier
    SpringSoldier Posts: 265 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    All this controversy over a cheap t-shirt bought at Bershka? Anyway, I think the reasons for introducing her over other characters are:

1.D3 still hasn't got the rights to introduce other X-Men characters, such as Rogue, Nightcrawler, Gambit etc.

2.Her character was really cool in Agents of SHIELD, but was removed since her and her husband, Hunter, were supposed to have their spin-off series. Since that series was cancelled, she might be returning to AOS (which would be great).
  • escart85
    Options
    Then what was the whole 'diamond' teaser text  supposed to mean? Emma Frost or Dazzler made more sense. How does Mockingbird fit into that?
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    scottee said:
    zodiac339 said:
    Meet Rocket and Groot... again! Now I'm feeling annoyed by the repetition.
    People complained they didn't want Heroics for new releases (or ever), and they didn't want 7-day events for new releases, so there's only so many left to choose from.
    Then they should be making an effort to create new stories! These people are meant to be entertaining us, not boring us to death! 
  • CNash
    CNash Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    edited July 2017
    Options
    One mention of the f-word and this whole forum goes to derp central. Why am I not surprised?

If you don't like the cover, take it up with Marvel. All Demi are doing is reusing it here in the game. I'm guessing nobody noticed when it was on the shelves in the real world?
  • escart85
    Options
    CNash said:
    One mention of the f-word and this whole forum goes to derp central. Why am I not surprised?

If you don't like the cover, take it up with Marvel. All Demi are doing is reusing it here in the game. I'm guessing nobody noticed when it was on the shelves in the real world?
    The thing is that there already was a controversy around that cover when the comic was published
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,331 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    rocks52 said:
    So why is she not featured in the event immediately following her release event?
    The article dates are wrong.  Meet R&G starts right after Simulator, on Sunday 7/30.  Devs said it is an error.
  • Chrono_Tata
    Chrono_Tata Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Options
    shardwick said: 
    While I am happy that it is a non-variant release, I'm a bit dubious about the "highly requested Mockingbird" part.

Devs: Guys, what character would you like to see in the game next?
    Fans: Gambit, Rogue, Nightcrawler, Gambit, Gambit, Rogue, Dazzler, Dormammu, Rogue, Mockingbird, Cable, Dazzler, Gambit, Rogue.
    Devs: Mockingbird it is then!

"Josh Austin: We receive various character requests from our players and we are very excited to introduce the highly requested Mockingbird"

"Marvel.com: When a character doesn’t have the most high profile of histories, like Bobbi here, what does the team do to nail down their abilities?"

Wait??? huh?
    Yeah I have a hankerin' to call Shenanigans on this one... 
    They said she is highly requested. They didn't say by whom.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    escart85 said:
    Then what was the whole 'diamond' teaser text  supposed to mean? Emma Frost or Dazzler made more sense. How does Mockingbird fit into that?
    Agreed.  Their hints have been getting progressively worse the longer I've played...
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2017
    Options
    smkspy said:
    Wow, not sure I'm going to roster this choice, this comic was full of politics and thats not why i like comics or MPQ. Cant we keep the game non partisan.
    Ah, good, old non-partisan, apolitical Captain America. And the X-Men! There are absolutely no parallels between their storylines and real-world issues

Not going to argue, they decided what they wanted and it would seem its a very popular decision by most of the community. Just had to make my opposing minority opinion known, just like everyone who said "love the cover" had to make their opinion known to the board.
    I'm not looking for an argument, just a discussion. I want you to share your opinions, and you have every right to dislike the comic and/or the cover — I'm just baffled by the standpoints that:

1) The word "feminism" is antagonistic.
    2) The idea that comics haven't always touched on politics, from the very beginning and continuously until this day.
    No you're not. Your very first post was insulting people that find the cover inappropriate. You're looking for people to go off hoping your strawman arguments silence dissenting opinions. You have zero interest in legitimate debate.
    I assume the part you felt was an insult was the "ask yourself where you went wrong" bit. I'm not sure why addressing an error feels like an insult versus an assessment — after all, we're all wrong sometimes, and typically all growth is built off of mistakes and failure — but to be crystal clear here I am not looking to malign you, I just think you're incorrect on this, and I think the source of the error is likely a bunch of loaded emotions you might have swirling around the topic. Hence my preceding remark of "you need to take a deep breath." 

EDIT: I will own, however, that my first comment was, in JHawkInc's words, "snarky."

I very specifically don't want anyone to go off as I don't find that entertaining and that's not why I'm here, I'm not sure where I made any straw man arguments but welcome you to point out specifically where I did (and it can be argued that your claim is in fact a straw man argument, but I don't particularly want to get bogged down with tangents), and I think I've been clear about not wanting to silence dissenting opinions.

Fair enough, but my strawman argument for you is that you're taking the single word "feminism" rather the entire phrase, the context of that cover being created in the first place, and the fallout afterwards. Knowing all of that, it's not hard to see why one might find this cover inappropriate.

Then you tried to used that comics have always been political, but other than the characters (and initial Dark Reign story) themselves, the game is as out of touch with thematic ideas of the comics as you can possibly get. 

I take that part back, Iceman bio clearly makes an allusion to him finding out he is gay, but at least, it isn't staring you in the face every time one sees the cover.

As I said I love the cover(I don't even buy single issue comics anymore and when out to get this), especially for the fallout that occurred after it, but of all the covers they could have picked, D3 intently picked this BECAUSE  they knew it would draw up controversy...I mean they needed something to distract us from her being a so-called demanded character lol.

Anyways, that's the last I'll say of it. Bad move or not, she looks like a fun character though I wish they based her off her AoS or classic design tbt.

Edit: And I just want to make it clear that I have zero problems with feminism or women characters, you've never seen me complain about Riri or Kamala. I just don't think it's appropiate to use something that created a huge amount of controversy in the first place. Love the cover, wrong place for it is all.

::::wipes hands::::
  • JackTenrec
    JackTenrec Posts: 808 Critical Contributor
    Options
    All I know is her yellow power threatens to unbalance PvE. Given the ridiculous number of cascading match-4 and 5s I see every day, all I need to do is pair her with Rulk and Thanos, let the AI move, and win.
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Its a mobile game, who cares. Get a grip people. 
  • Beer40
    Beer40 Posts: 826 Critical Contributor
    Options
    It's all classic diversion, no big deal. The clue was announced.

Large portion of comments: "OMG, I'm so excited! We're getting Emma Frost! That also means we can get other mutants! Even if Frost isn't my favorite, I have hope for (insert favorite mutant here) next!!!"

Smaller portion of comments: "No its actually Mockingbird. Trust us, we know"

Literally no comments I can remember, "**** yes! Its Mockingbird! I've wanted her in game forever!!!".

I.E. needing a diversion.
  • Blindman13
    Blindman13 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Ducky said:
    ***Keep politics out of this thread and off of the forum. If you have an issue with the cover, send in a ticket to CS regarding your displeasure.***

Adding politics in the game - fine.  Expressing positive opinions about the cover - Fine.    Disliking the cover  - sit down and shut up.
    1. I don't see how this choice of cover is adding politics to the game.  They are adding the character and being a feminist is part of her personality. Being a megalomanical villian is part of many character's personalities, and that is displayed much more pominantly in the game. Does that mean the game supprts that as well? No.
    2. Everyone has the right to express like or dislike over any aspect of the game - that's all this forum is - people lauding what they like and griping about what they wish would change
    I think @Ducky was just trying to prevent this thread from turning into a political debate about feminism and I agree completely. This thread should be about the pros and cons of her abilities and character history not a discussion of her political viewpoints. I come here to read about and discuss this fun little game that occupies way too much of my time.  I could not care less what cover they chose, and long as it looks good and is true to the character.