MPQ at Marvel.com: Mockingbird (7/26/17)

Options

Comments

• JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,601 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Beer40 said:
    It's all classic diversion, no big deal. The clue was announced.

Large portion of comments: "OMG, I'm so excited! We're getting Emma Frost! That also means we can get other mutants! Even if Frost isn't my favorite, I have hope for (insert favorite mutant here) next!!!"

Smaller portion of comments: "No its actually Mockingbird. Trust us, we know"

Literally no comments I can remember, "tinykitty yes! Its Mockingbird! I've wanted her in game forever!!!".

I.E. needing a diversion.
    Just because nobody says it doesn't mean the sentiment isn't there.

I'm excited for Mockingbird. Classic Avenger, founding West Coast Avenger, previously married to Hawkeye, agent of SHIELD (featured in the show and related comics as well), and general all-around badass, AND another female character for the game (that is constantly behind on female and villain characters). What's not to love?
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Mockingbird (Bobbi Morse) was just in the right time and right place to make it into the 4-Star roster!
    I'm interested in what implications this sentence might have... surely it doesn't take impressive timing these days to make it into the 4* roster in MPQ...
  • zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Mockingbird (Bobbi Morse) was just in the right time and right place to make it into the 4-Star roster!
    I'm interested in what implications this sentence might have... surely it doesn't take impressive timing these days to make it into the 4* roster in MPQ...
    Since he isn't doing anything in comics, and has never been portrayed in movies, it was the right time and place for Molecule Man to be added. Or something.
    What about, I don't know, Jessica Jones?
    We haven't figured out how to portray the power of alcoholism in game.
    ...Ouch. Shots fired.

Actually, Boss Carnage's black would be great for that. More AP in the given pool would be more drunkenly making random matches. Reach a drunk AP threshhold and her single target damage ablility becomes a weaker random target ability (compensating for an OP amount of extra AP generation), but leaves a Weaving Movements CD that reduces enemy single target damage of a threshold amount by a percentage, removng the CD when it reduces said attack. Then a detective power of some kind?
  • TheWerebison
    TheWerebison Posts: 431 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    That's probably exactly what they mean:

"Well, we figure Bobbi should really be a 3*, or at the very least a 2*, but seeing as we don't really do that anymore except as a pair with a 5*....yeah...Ha! Mockingbird as a 5*! Ahhh, I crack myself up. Anyway, right time and place!"
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,546 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    My only objection to the cover choice is that I prefer it when the cover art matches the character art. It makes them easier to find when scrolling through 140 different covers.
  • TheWerebison
    TheWerebison Posts: 431 Mover and Shaker
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Borstock said:
    My only objection to the cover choice is that I prefer it when the cover art matches the character art. It makes them easier to find when scrolling through 140 different covers.
    I still scroll right past GSBW, because she just doesn't stand out next to Cap. :P

Edit: Also, the word "X-MEN" at the top.
  • 8punch
    8punch Posts: 97 Match Maker
    Options
    what i dont understand is. why did they not use a different cover? i just checked internet and she has many awesome covers. here she just looks like an ordinary female. 

also the whole femist t-shirt actually does not matter to me at all. i am much more pissed at the female thor then this feminst shirt wearing mockingbird, imagine they made wonderwoman a man! the uproar that would cause! but somehow thor being a female is alright. screw that
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2017
    Options
    To be fair, thor is around despite there now being a female thor. It's just like having Spider-Man and  Spider-Woman.

Honestly, the design baffles me too, maybe they couldn't get the likeness rights, but an AoS Bobbi is right up this game's alley with tie-ins and trying to hype up current marvel products. Unlike riri, kamala, and thoress, they missed the boat on mockingbird by a good 10 months.
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,176 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    All this controversy over a cheap t-shirt bought at Bershka? Anyway, I think the reasons for introducing her over other characters are:

1.D3 still hasn't got the rights to introduce other X-Men characters, such as Rogue, Nightcrawler, Gambit etc.

2.Her character was really cool in Agents of SHIELD, but was removed since her and her husband, Hunter, were supposed to have their spin-off series. Since that series was cancelled, she might be returning to AOS (which would be great).
    I was hoping Bobbi and Hunter would find their way back to AoS too, but I noticed the other day that Adrianne Palicki is on Seth MacFarlane's new sci-fi show on Fox, The Orville.

Unless that show doesn't get picked up, looks like she's tied up in a new series, which makes it unlikely she'll come back to AoS except for maybe an episode or two. 
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Borstock said:
    Looking at the comments on this thread, I think this may be the most noticeable cover in the game though.  It shouldn't be a problem.
  • SpringSoldier
    SpringSoldier Posts: 265 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    DarthDeVo said:
    All this controversy over a cheap t-shirt bought at Bershka? Anyway, I think the reasons for introducing her over other characters are:

1.D3 still hasn't got the rights to introduce other X-Men characters, such as Rogue, Nightcrawler, Gambit etc.

2.Her character was really cool in Agents of SHIELD, but was removed since her and her husband, Hunter, were supposed to have their spin-off series. Since that series was cancelled, she might be returning to AOS (which would be great).
    I was hoping Bobbi and Hunter would find their way back to AoS too, but I noticed the other day that Adrianne Palicki is on Seth MacFarlane's new sci-fi show on Fox, The Orville.

Unless that show doesn't get picked up, looks like she's tied up in a new series, which makes it unlikely she'll come back to AoS except for maybe an episode or two. 
    Hopefully, they'll get their own spin-off series eventually. The more Marvel stuff, the better. Maybe they could be in Damage Control, since this seems to be the new show that Marvel is promoting. Adrianne Palicki is awesome as an action film actress- he's hot, she's fit, she's tall and overall really likable. Too bad she wasn't picked out as Captain Marvel.
  • GuntherBlobel
    GuntherBlobel Posts: 987 Critical Contributor
    edited July 2017
    Options
    It would be fantastic if from this point on all further posts are about the in-game characters' abilities.
    That would be nice! But...

I just wanted to say that I really like that MPQ often refers to specific comic runs when making new characters. I recently read the Mockingbird run on Marvel Unlimited and felt both thrilled and annoyed by it. Regardless, this iteration of the character really captures that specific run very well, which I think is awesome.

For AoS fans, there's always 5* Mockingbird!

• escart85
    escart85 Posts: 54 Match Maker
    Options
    Just change the cover to something else, even from the same run. Sheesh... This could've been avoided but someone decided otherwise. If this whole discussion is just a diversion then I'm really disappointed...if not, then that just makes me sad because it is a deliberate decision. I didn't come here to talk about politics in comics. For that I have Diversity&Comics on youtube and others.
  • halirin
    halirin Posts: 327 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    So who actually got upset about the cover when it came out? MRA and gator folks? I missed that brouhaha...
  • heybub
    heybub Posts: 287 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    shardwick said: 
    While I am happy that it is a non-variant release, I'm a bit dubious about the "highly requested Mockingbird" part.

Devs: Guys, what character would you like to see in the game next?
    Fans: Gambit, Rogue, Nightcrawler, Gambit, Gambit, Rogue, Dazzler, Dormammu, Rogue, Mockingbird, Cable, Dazzler, Gambit, Rogue.
    Devs: Mockingbird it is then!

"Josh Austin: We receive various character requests from our players and we are very excited to introduce the highly requested Mockingbird"

"Marvel.com: When a character doesn’t have the most high profile of histories, like Bobbi here, what does the team do to nail down their abilities?"

Wait??? huh?
    Yeah I have a hankerin' to call Shenanigans on this one... 
    They said she is highly requested. They didn't say by whom.

By Marvel.
  • revskip
    revskip Posts: 966 Critical Contributor
    Options
    If y'all find the word "feminist" controversial or inappropriate you need to take a deep breath and ask yourself where you went wrong.

Essentially every villain in this game has canonically killed, maimed, and/or tortured innocent people, but a t-shirt feels like too much?
    Most of my favorite comic book authors over the years have done way more over the top politicized stuff than that book.  Alan Moore, Grant Morrison (especially his awesome run on Animal Man), Garth Ennis, Robert Kirkman and on and on.  

If you are offended by the cover that is fine.  If you are offended by feminism, that too is fine.  Don't read the book.  But don't presume to tell other people that your offense somehow invalidates the author's work or that since you are offended others shouldn't be exposed to it.  The idea that something that offends some people cannot be vital for others is one that needs to be thrown in the trash bin.  

FWIW, the book wasn't my favorite but the writing was solid.  That cover perfectly encapsulates the character.  
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm not back in this fight, I'll just say this

inappropriate  =/= offended

That said, I'm having fun with the character in her essential. She is a welcomed addition to the roster.

• revskip
    revskip Posts: 966 Critical Contributor
    edited July 2017
    Options
    smkspy said:
    I'm not back in this fight, I'll just say this

inappropriate  =/= offended

That said, I'm having fun with the character in her essential. She is a welcomed addition to the roster.

My post really wasn't about any of yours @smkspy.  I got why you didn't like the choice but I also got that you understood that demi did with with full knowledge that it would cause conversation.  

My post was about several other people who made silly censorship comments.  And to the people who flagged the one guy's post about feminism as Marxism.   While I disagreed with his position he certainly had the right to have the opinion.  Flagging that post was exactly as reactionary as his post was.