**** Vulture (Adrian Toomes) ****

Cthulhu
Cthulhu ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 410 Site Admin
edited July 2017 in Character Details

Vulture (Adrian Toomes) 

4 Star Rarity (Legendary)

At Max Level: HP:  13034    11/65/12/4.3x/13/74/85/43

Circling Prey 6 Black AP:

Vulture flies far above his target, getting in position to strike.  Vulture goes Airborne for 2 turns.

(PASSIVE) At the start of the turn, if Vulture was Airborne, gain 3 Green AP , 2 Blue AP, and 1 Black AP.
  • Level 2: Gains 2 Back AP.
  • Level 3: Gains 1 Red AP.
  • Level 4: Gains 3 Blue AP.
  • Level 5: Gains 4 Green AP.
  • Max Level:
  • Level 3: Vulture flies far above his target, getting in position to strike.  Vulture goes Airborne for 2 turns.
  • Level 4: Gains 3 Blue AP.
  • Level 5: Gains 4 Green AP.

One Fell Swoop 9 Green AP:

Vulture swoops from the sky to rend his enemies with his sharp talons.  Creates a 3-turn Countdown tile that deals 815 damage. 

(PASSIVE) If this tile exists when Vulture returns from being Airborne, he removes it dealing damage to the enemy team instead.

• Level 2:  Deals 1139 damage.
  • Level 3: Deals 1473 damage.
  • Level 4: Deals 2112 damage.
  • Level 5: Deals 3408 damage.
  • Max Level
  • Level 3: Deals 2851 damage.
  • Level 4: Deals 4115 damage.
  • Level 5: Deals 6641 damage.

Hybrid Tech Slicer 10 Blue AP: 

The vulture lets loose with a terrifying weapon of his own design, getting a better vantage point from the sky.  Deals 611 damage and destroys up to 2 random enemy Strike, Protect, or Attack tiles.  

(PASSIVE) Whenever Vulture goes Airborne, drain 10 Blue AP for the same effect, also targeting Invisibility and Countdown tiles.

• Level 2: Deals 778 damage and destroys 3 tiles.
  • Level 3: Deals 1195 damage and destroys 3 tiles.
  • Level 4: Deals 1759 damage and destroys 4 tiles.
  • Level 5: Deal 3379 damage.
  • Max Level:
  • Level 3: Deals 2328 damage and destroys 3 tiles.
  • Level 4: Deal 3429 damage and destroys 4 tiles.
  • Level 5: Deal 6586 damage.

Comments

• Anon
      Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
      Looks great!
    • max5esq
      max5esq Posts: 56 Match Maker
      Minor qualm, would be nice on the black if you showed what the new total was overall at each level (yes I already did it in my head)
    • DesertTortoise
      DesertTortoise Posts: 392 Mover and Shaker
      edited July 2017
      Noted elsewhere but his green can have as many tiles out as you'd like and they all activate when he comes back from airborne while his blue deals damage and makes AP for the tiles it destroys. He seems like a home run. His green is outrageous if you can get off the team damage requirement. 

He looks like he'd work at 5/5/3, 5/3/5 and even 3/5/5 (probably during his boost week, you're only giving up 1 blue and 1 green a turn) depending on what you want to do with him. He makes a better green battery than a blue one due to his blue's ability to fire itself but there's a lot of utility with this character. 
    • sambrookjm
      sambrookjm Posts: 2,105 Chairperson of the Boards
      So does he take over from IM40 as best battery in the game?  That AP gain for only six black is crazy.
    • Piro_plock
      Piro_plock Posts: 287 Mover and Shaker
      edited July 2017
      So does he take over from IM40 as best battery in the game?  That AP gain for only six black is crazy.
      sh81 said:
      Mechanically he is superior - Airborne and untouchable, no countdowns to be matched.
       What's also great: his black accelerates itself. After 1st use, you need only one black match to go airborne again. Also, his other skills don't interfere with it (as opposed to IM40 red and blue draining yellow AP when used).
    • zodiac339
      zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
      5/3/5 Vulture will lead to a really unpleasant Red Hulk combo. Possibly with a C4ge third, or Pew-Pew Rocket Man.
    • sambrookjm
      sambrookjm Posts: 2,105 Chairperson of the Boards
      zodiac339 said:
      5/3/5 Vulture will lead to a really unpleasant Red Hulk combo. Possibly with a C4ge third, or Pew-Pew Rocket Man.
      Mordo for more black generation?
    • Anon
      Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
      Posting what I said in another thread:
      Once Vulture has enough for his Black, couldn't he theoretically solo the enemy team?

He goes airborne, gains ap, puts down green tile, goes airborne, aoe, goes airborne, ad infinitum.

He's practically untouchable. Goes up for ap, comes down, deals damage and goes up again. What's the game plan for fighting him?

• Cthulhu
      Cthulhu ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 410 Site Admin
      max5esq said:
      Minor qualm, would be nice on the black if you showed what the new total was overall at each level (yes I already did it in my head)
      No problem, I will do this later today!
    • max5esq
      max5esq Posts: 56 Match Maker
      edited July 2017
      I think overall he is better then IM40 becuase the tiles can't be matched however, he gives less concentrated amounts of AP 8 green 6 blue 4 black and 2 red won't trigger that many powers on their own unlike IM40 who would trigger enough for more blue red and green combos. However being able to shoot another one off with just one more match overall makes him better (not to mention more AP being airborne etc) but he will be a bit slower. 

Looks like he would pair great with Iceman and Peggy or Gwen pool and Cage
    • zodiac339
      zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
      zodiac339 said:
      Mordo for more black generation?
      Nah. You want the purple for Gamma Siphon. C4ge on defense is a nuisance since you really want to take out Vulture before he starts rolling airborne. Passive green generation means getting hit by Hammer and Anvil over and over. Less damage, but more reliable than protecting the CD tile. Mordo would have viability with a 5/5/3 Vulture, using Mordo's purple and blue. Hurts defense, since the AI will use Mordo's black while Vulture is in the air, but could be fun to use.
    • Jaedenkaal
      Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
      edited July 2017
      Anon said:
      Posting what I said in another thread:
      Once Vulture has enough for his Black, couldn't he theoretically solo the enemy team?

He goes airborne, gains ap, puts down green tile, goes airborne, aoe, goes airborne, ad infinitum.

He's practically untouchable. Goes up for ap, comes down, deals damage and goes up again. What's the game plan for fighting him?

Deny black so he at least spends 1 turn on the ground. Don't leave him for last. Bring AP drain/steal. This might work pretty well as AP drain/steal isn't generally targeted (I haven't tested this extensively) so you might be able to get at least some of them off even if he's airborne and there are no other targets.
    • hopper1979
      hopper1979 Posts: 564 Critical Contributor
      He is definitely a target first character, he seem to have high match damage so he will be getting hit a lot before things get rolling as well.  On paper he looks solid and his surviveability looks great but I don't have enough cards in him to do much play testing yet.

Who can knock him up other than himself that does not use black (Gwenpool and Colossus both use black) and your opponents are going to avoid knocking him up with Ironheart and Nova unless it is AI.  So we want a black generator and somebody who can use the green, red or blue he generates which is a lot of people.  I expect to see him get a lot of use in both pve and pvp.
    • DesertTortoise
      DesertTortoise Posts: 392 Mover and Shaker
      edited July 2017
      If ever there was going to be a character that should have Riri/Gwenpool levels of health, it should have probably been him. He's going to be a big headache and a target first character in a lot of situations. 
    • Jaedenkaal
      He is definitely a target first character, he seem to have high match damage so he will be getting hit a lot before things get rolling as well.
      Not sure what you mean here; all 4* characters have the same match damage; his Black match damage (his strongest color) is 42 at level 70, which is the same as everyone else's strongest match damage at 70.
    • Vhailorx
      Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
      sh81 said:
      Mechanically he is superior - Airborne and untouchable, no countdowns to be matched.

I havent used him enough to say he is better in practice though.
      I think it's a wash.  IM40 produces more ap for the same cost and can be double or even triple cast if you have the ap.  But as you point out, the extra utility comes with some disadvantages (CDs to baby, IM40 is still susceptible to damage even while stunned, can't be triggered by other powers like Gwenpool black).

So I think it's best to say that Vulture is basically the 4* version of IM40, in the same way that Medusa is the 4* version of 3* iron fist.  They fill the same general roles, but have a few individual quirks. 
    • Rick_OShay
      Rick_OShay Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
      edited July 2017
      Important note about using Gwenpool (of whom I am a fan), with her in the battle, her black ensures that Vulture goes airborne just fine for 9 AP, but he is only up for 1 turn, and therefore only gains the set of AP once. 
      So, it's nice to get her protect tiles when sending Vulture up, but it's just not worth it overall for the difference in AP spent vs. gained. Just use his for 6 black.
      I will say that having Vulture by your side (or above you...) sure makes for easy green accumulation, which enables you to fire her Checkov's Gun perhaps twice in a row (which is fantastic). 
      Edit: Don't forget, Vulture would tank black and green for Gwenpool, but when he's airborne, it's squishy GP that tanks all of her own colors.
      So instead of bringing GP into the battle, just have a Gwenpool Team Up power that you bring along. Timing this may be a safe way to gather just AP during 1 turn so that Vulture can send immediately himself airborne on the following turn. 

It's a similar situation when playing with Colossus. It defeats the purpose to bring him into the battle due to his 13 black cost for Fastball Special, so leave him out and use his Team Up power instead.
      *Also* be sure to have alliance mates set their Colossus black power to 4 covers instead of 5, so that Vulture will be airborne for 2 turns instead of only 1.
      At 3 covers, Fastball Special sends the ally airborne for 3 turns, has anyone tried this with Vulture yet?
    • Jaedenkaal
      It's a similar situation when playing with Colossus. It defeats the purpose to bring him into the battle due to his 13 black cost for Fastball Special, so leave him out and use his Team Up power instead.
      *Also* be sure to have alliance mates set their Colossus black power to 4 covers instead of 5, so that Vulture will be airborne for 2 turns instead of only 1.
      At 3 covers, Fastball Special sends the ally airborne for 3 turns, has anyone tried this with Vulture yet?
      For championed Colossus, I think you get the 5-cover version all the time. :/
    • Rick_OShay
      Rick_OShay Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
      ...snip...
      For championed Colossus, I think you get the 5-cover version all the time. :/
      Whoa, I've been assuming all this time that your spec effects the recipients TU. I should edit my post then!
    • Jaedenkaal
      I recall seeing (some time ago) a change where championed characters always send the 5-cover version of whatever power. Presumably that's to match the (generally) desired intent, while not requiring you to respec your character for free to send a team-up, and then respec them back again. 

Of course this doesn't work out when you really do want the rank 4 or rank 3 version of the power because it's more beneficial (cheaper, shorter CD, longer airborne time, whatever).