**** Vulture (Adrian Toomes) ****

Options

Comments

• Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    talleman said:
    Quebbster said:

My Vulture is only 2/1/0, so I am relying on the loaner in Junkyard Wars.

I am very thankful that Thanos' Court Death can stun him even when he is Airborne.

Say what? Airborn targets can be stunned now?
    As far as I am aware this is not possible.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,166 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    If you put out Vulture's green, then go airborne with 10 blue AP banked up, should the passive on both blue and green be triggered? because In Junkyard Wars, I was only seeing the blue passive get triggered, and the green countdown stayed on the board.
  • Rick_OShay
    Rick_OShay Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Going airborne only triggers blue (if you have the 10AP).
    The green CD is removed when he lands from being airborne, not before. 
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    talleman said:
    Quebbster said:

My Vulture is only 2/1/0, so I am relying on the loaner in Junkyard Wars.

I am very thankful that Thanos' Court Death can stun him even when he is Airborne.

Say what? Airborn targets can be stunned now?
    As far as I am aware this is not possible.
    Maybe I had a bug then because I am pretty sure it happened to me...
  • talleman
    talleman Posts: 444 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    mexus said:
    I love Vulture. Makes me feel like a boss. I'd hate to see him nerfed but at the same time he's pretty sick.

Here are a couple of nerf suggestions from me to Vulture. Pick one!

- Don't let him generate THAT much black AP while airborne.

- Force him to stay on the ground for at least a turn or two. Maybe he needs to configure his flying device?

- While airborne, place a countdown or trap tile. If this gets destroyed Vulture slams to the ground, gets stunned for 1 turn and / or his black AP is destroyed.
    I say don't nerf Vultures powers. Instead make some characters able to target airborn characters.
  • zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    talleman said:
    mexus said:
    I love Vulture. Makes me feel like a boss. I'd hate to see him nerfed but at the same time he's pretty sick.

- Force him to stay on the ground for at least a turn or two. Maybe he needs to configure his flying device?

- While airborne, place a countdown or trap tile. If this gets destroyed Vulture slams to the ground, gets stunned for 1 turn and / or his black AP is destroyed.
    I say don't nerf Vultures powers. Instead make some characters able to target airborn characters.
    Yes, we definitely need a character added with a power that has an additional effect when an enemy is airborne. Like “damage target enemy. If an enemy is airborne, also remove airborne status and stun both enemies.” Damage should probably still only be to the target, but you get a power description involving lasooing the flying opponent and slamming him into your target. Use it on Gwenpool to bring both her allies down and stun all three.
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,260 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    talleman said:
    mexus said:

That's harldy a fix honestly, what happens if those specific characters are not boosted that week? Are you gonna run a unboosted char over a boosted one? (answer is no)

After he lands, he can't go airborne for 1 turn, that's it, not even a nerf, its 1 frigging turn. Just so we can at least stun him or nuke him.
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    sinnerjfl said:
    talleman said:
    mexus said:

That's harldy a fix honestly, what happens if those specific characters are not boosted that week? Are you gonna run a unboosted char over a boosted one? (answer is no)

After he lands, he can't go airborne for 1 turn, that's it, not even a nerf, its 1 frigging turn. Just so we can at least stun him or nuke him.
    As annoying and powerful as Vulture is, he doesn't really deserve a nerf. If they do decide to touch him, that would be the most sensible approach. It's not drastic, but would help those struggling with him.
  • vinsensual
    vinsensual Posts: 458 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    He's gonna get a counter, like OML got a "counter" in Kate Bishop's blue.  She's awesome and her blue's awesome, but it will be super niche and super expensive to cast.  
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I don't know if it is technically possible, but a simple fix would be to have Vulture return from being Airborne at the end of his turn instead of the beginning. That way he won't be able to trigger Circling Prey until next turn...
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    sinnerjfl said:
    talleman said:
    mexus said:

Really?  There's tons of scenarios where it's better to bring an unboosted character that jells better with one or two other boosted characters.  Do you just blindly run three boosted 4*s even if they work like tinykitty together?  Come on...

That being said the real problem with that as a fix is if that character that can target airborne characters doesn't have much else going for them they will be a niche character to an insane degree (since so few characters have airborne mechanics at all and the only one that has it that's scary is vulture)
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,837 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Quebbster said:
    I don't know if it is technically possible, but a simple fix would be to have Vulture return from being Airborne at the end of his turn instead of the beginning. That way he won't be able to trigger Circling Prey until next turn...

That is a good idea and it makes sense. it should be possible because I believe Riri's green originally had her land at the end of her turn instead of the beginning.
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,260 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    broll said:

Really?  There's tons of scenarios where it's better to bring an unboosted character that jells better with one or two other boosted characters.  Do you just blindly run three boosted 4*s even if they work like tinykitty together?  Come on...
    Go run unboosted 4*'s in PVP, watch your score plummet because you just put a huge target on your back.

I target people running those and its an easy win everytime. So yes, I use the boosted 4*'s and find a way to make it work.

The real problem is not the airborne status anyway, its that Vulture can be invincible with no chance for the player to do anything but look at his team being killed. Not fun.

• broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    sinnerjfl said:
    broll said:

Go run unboosted 4*'s in PVP, watch your score plummet because you just put a huge target on your back.

I target people running those and its an easy win everytime. So yes, I use the boosted 4*'s and find a way to make it work.

The real problem is not the airborne status anyway, its that Vulture can be invincible with no chance for the player to do anything but look at his team being killed. Not fun.

If that's you're only/primary concern you can still climb most of the way up with a good synergy team, then on last clear or two switch to boosted.  Even still I find a lot more luck mixing and matching some 3*s in for good synergy more often than not.  

The point is you stated that "That's harldy a fix honestly, what happens if those specific characters are not boosted that week? Are you gonna run a unboosted char over a boosted one? (answer is no)"  The answers not no, plenty of people do it.  If you choose not too and struggle to win because you're playing with a bad team for the match, well that's your choice I guess, but that doesn't meant the character needs a nerf because you choose to play a sub-optimal team...
  • Jaedenkaal
    Options
    broll said:

That being said the real problem with that as a fix is if that character that can target airborne characters doesn't have much else going for them they will be a niche character to an insane degree (since so few characters have airborne mechanics at all and the only one that has it that's scary is vulture)
    I think this is a key point, and that's also assuming that such a character doesn't create a broken combo with Riri. Imagine being sent airborne for 3 turns, now you can't do anything, and this new character just wrecks you.

He's gonna get a counter, like OML got a "counter" in Kate Bishop's blue.  She's awesome and her blue's awesome, but it will be super niche and super expensive to cast.  

Did Kate Bishop ever actually counter OML? I'm guessing no.

• Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Did Kate Bishop ever actually counter OML? I'm guessing no.

Wasn't 3* Doctor Octopus designed as a Sentry counter and failed miserably at it?
  • Jaedenkaal
    Options
    Anon said:
    Wasn't 3* Doctor Octopus designed as a Sentry counter and failed miserably at it?
    I hope not. I doubt it, actually, I don't think his shuffle ever affected Countdown tiles, so I don't see how that would affect Sentry at all. And Insult to Injury was added much, much later.
  • Rick_OShay
    Rick_OShay Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    Options
    When Vulture was released, I was quite shocked that 5* Spidey didn't have a 'Grounds an airborne opponent' as part of his web shot
  • BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,161 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

No, Vulture doesn't need a nerf. Just focus on denying Black. Because, y'know, MPQ is a match-3 game? Involves strategy? And part of strategy is actively looking how to deny Vulture Black.

I mean, it's not like he's a character who automatically generates AP for his team without having to match tiles or be denied. There would never be such a character, right...?

...oh.

• DrDevilDinosaur
    DrDevilDinosaur Posts: 436 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    broll said:

I think this is a key point, and that's also assuming that such a character doesn't create a broken combo with Riri. Imagine being sent airborne for 3 turns, now you can't do anything, and this new character just wrecks you.

Going to theorycraft a bit here:

Make a character that can hit airborne targets, but they must toggle into a form in order to do so and while in that form they cannot damage 'grounded' targets. I'd say that Cloak & Dagger provide the framework for this hypothetical character and the switching of forms.

Make a character with a passive that does ~something~ while enemies are airborne. It doesn't need to be damage to the airborne target necessariy; it could be AP drain, for example. Essentially, going airborne is a benefit for Vulture - whether he takes to the air himself or is knocked airborne via some other means. The AI is likely going to fire Circling Prey as soon as it has the AP, but a player controlled Vulture might hold off if it could create an unfavourable condition.

Finally there's the possibility to allow Riri's RMG to hit airborne targets. I know it's been brought up before, and agree that it really feels like that was the intent with her rework. I guess there is some concern that it would make her too powerful.

In any case, the Airborne Status has become common enough across the higher tiers, so introducing more abilities which interact with that Status. It opens up new strategies and combos as well as potential counter teams.