**** Vulture (Adrian Toomes) ****

Comments

• Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    "But you can get a bad board" is not a good argument for nerfing anyone. 

I've had the board flip from no matches to multiple match-5s right before the AI Prof X gets to go. Fair? No. Does he need a nerf? No.
  • hopper1979
    hopper1979 Posts: 564 Critical Contributor
    Boosted I am a little weary of him but unboosted, I will pick his team every day he has so little HP you can usually down him by the 3rd turn, deny some black and he is useless on defense.  He is a great character and lets you punch up in matches but he is not difficult to counter, deny black, bring R&G, stun him.  If he is not your first target that is probably your issue, if you let him get going he is difficult to beat but still not impossible.  Even if you for some crazy reason decide to attack him later then just make sure you have a passive healer eventually with some thought you can catch him when he lands.  Like the better characters in the game he requires some thought to beat but he is by no mean broken and definitely does not need a rework.  I do hope they add somebody who can hit airborne characters at some point just because it adds a new element to the game but it is not necessary to beat him.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,895 Chairperson of the Boards
    "But you can get a bad board" is not a good argument for nerfing anyone. 

I've had the board flip from no matches to multiple match-5s right before the AI Prof X gets to go. Fair? No. Does he need a nerf? No.
    Absolutely this. “A bad board can hurt you” is a super weak argument. You’re not meant to win every match and Vulture actually provides a challenge.  Keep him the way he is!

• Daredevil217
    As an aside as much as I hate Gambattery and wouldn’t intentionally make one (at least until we get a decisive word on whether or not he’s intended to be played at 5 covers), my 5* “lucked” into 1 Red/ 1 Black, so he was making Purple for Jean. I was using switch to accelerate Purple even more but switched to Vulture last day and wish I would have sooner. Gambit and Jeans Black/Blue tanking gets an outlet with Vulture. Both Jean and Vulture destroy Countdowns. Vulture fuels Jeans Green. And the best part is Hybrid Tech slicer was giving me lots of Blue/Green AP because those are the only colors mindless ones place tiles on!
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,836 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2017
    Anon said:
    Wasn't 3* Doctor Octopus designed as a Sentry counter and failed miserably at it?
    I hope not. I doubt it, actually, I don't think his shuffle ever affected Countdown tiles, so I don't see how that would affect Sentry at all. And Insult to Injury was added much, much later.

Not that anyone is going to care but 3* Doc Ock actually did destroy CDs with his blue, along with the other special tiles. When he was "rebalanced" with She Hulk and 4hor's nerf, they all lost their CD removing abilities. She Hulk used to change CDs to strikes with her blue and 4hor's yellow changed CDs to Charge tiles at 3 covers instead of 5 (yupp her worst ability got nerfed too!)

Just some useless MPQ history from Professor Pun. Carry on Vulture users
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    I just champed Vulture and I'm pretty excited about adding him to my list of champed 4-stars. I took him for a spin in the simulator with Peggy and Cloak & Dagger and really enjoyed his mechanics. I was running him at 3/5/5 because I want to use Vulture's green and blue abilities. His red generation helped speed up Peggy's red and her yellow added an additional layer of AP frustration to my foes. Cloak & Dagger made sure I was swimming in black.

Anyone else got some good team suggestions for Vulture? I'm guessing he's really good against goons with Gramora but I'd be interested to hear about other player's PvP successes with him against active opponents.
  • Daredevil217
    Dormammu said:
    I just champed Vulture and I'm pretty excited about adding him to my list of champed 4-stars. I took him for a spin in the simulator with Peggy and Cloak & Dagger and really enjoyed his mechanics. I was running him at 3/5/5 because I want to use Vulture's green and blue abilities. His red generation helped speed up Peggy's red and her yellow added an additional layer of AP frustration to my foes. Cloak & Dagger made sure I was swimming in black.

Anyone else got some good team suggestions for Vulture? I'm guessing he's really good against goons with Gramora but I'd be interested to hear about other player's PvP successes with him against active opponents.
    Honestly he’s a good go to with any boosted Blue and/or Green user. So Iceman, who happens to be boosted can have both his colors fueled. Red Hulk is also boosted and great because you have two colors fueling Green (Vulture’s Black, and Rulk’s own Purple). Cloak and Dagger are a good third in simulator because they can make sure there’s plenty of black on the board. 

Non-boosted/Sim, I really like Iron Fist at 5/5/3 with Vulture. It creates a self-fueling battering ram of sorts.  Vulture Black fuels Fist Blue/Green, cast Blue twice to fortify strikes and get even more Green, cast some Green to generate more Black to keep Vulture airborne. It’s a lot of fun!
  • JarvisJackrabbit
    JarvisJackrabbit Posts: 232 Tile Toppler
    edited January 2018
    Finally champed my Vulture and am wondering about teammates for him. So far, I've just been using him at 5/5/3 with G4mora at 5/3/5 for her red+blue and C&D at 4/2/4 to generate black.

I'm wondering how he'd work feeding blue and red to Peggy with 5* Hawkeye fortifying their countdowns.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have a limited number of 4* champions, so I haven't really found the killer team for him yet either. I ran him at 5/5/3 with Mordo at 3/5/5, and used Mordo's blue to do damage while creating black charge tiles to help fuel Vulture's black. Used Vulture's green when it was available. I had 5/4/4 Medusa on that team also. This was in Black Vortex, so none of them were boosted. It was working pretty well against a team of boosted C4rol/4ocket/G4mora until 4ocket got off a green that killed everyone but my airborne vulture, who was down to 7k hp. I was able to keep my green/black combo going with Vulture to chew through that team without taking any further damage; it was amazing. So I don't know if that is a killer team, but I'm a believer that Vulture is a monster character lol.
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    I Champed him this morning as well. Cloak and Dagger would be great for keeping Vulture in the air. Medusas so generation also helps. He can also make sure Gamora keeps stunning. Fuels Iceman, but that's a lot of overlap. Peggy too.

He actually works with a lot of people  :o
  • MCUinmyPants
    MCUinmyPants Posts: 16 Just Dropped In
    I hate Vulture. He's so unfair.. imagine if 3* Iron Man gave 1 Yellow for every countdown.
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,176 Chairperson of the Boards
    Finally champed my Vulture and am wondering about teammates for him. So far, I've just been using him at 5/5/3 with G4mora at 5/3/5 for her red+blue and C&D at 4/2/4 to generate black.

I'm wondering how he'd work feeding blue and red to Peggy with 5* Hawkeye fortifying their countdowns.
    He's good with Iceman too. Add IM40 to keep Bobby working double time. 
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    I hate Vulture. He's so unfair.. imagine if 3* Iron Man gave 1 Yellow for every countdown.
    If you can't beat em, join em.  He's really fun to play with.

I fully expect we'll see some new characters coming that do moves specifically against airborne characters to balance.  I'm surprised the first one was a 5*, but I suspect we'll see a 4* that does it in the near future.  
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    I second that; I have a feeling Airborne as a status is going to be really novel in 2018
  • Dormammu

As a featured character, I rarely let my Vulture fly without Cloak & Dagger generating black for him. The sooner he can get into the air the better. His self-synergy is so complete that Vulture can be the focus of any team he's a part of, with support characters to either protect him or speed him up. Thus, Cloak & Dagger giving you favorable boards with lots of black to speed him up. If C&D is not available, 3Fist can fill this role as well (just not as quickly). I like to throw Rogue in as a third to provide some defense and damage soak - she'll tank a lot of colors when Vulture is airborne (which is a lot of the time) and help reduce the need for health packs, plus she'll benefit from Vulture's red AP generation..

As a support character, just set Vulture's black to 5 and feed anyone who has needs red, green, or blue. As others have pointed out, Iceman is an obvious choice. You assumed Peggy is a good choice, and she is, but Riri is a better choice. She benefits from all three colors Vulture generates and can clobber guys with the best of them.
  • hopper1979
    hopper1979 Posts: 564 Critical Contributor
    I will have to try that I usually pair him with a better green user, his blue/black combo has saved me so many time I very rarely put the slots into his green, but I do not bring red users much with him.  I am assuming with Ironheart you are using her blue instead of Vultures and when paired with her you are maxing his green correct?    
  • Dormammu
    edited January 2018
    I am assuming with Ironheart you are using her blue instead of Vultures and when paired with her you are maxing his green correct?    
    Yeah I'll run Vulture's black and green at 5. Riri's green isn't terrible but can't compare to Vulture's.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Looks like they “fixed” Vulture’s blue passive. Used to be that going airborne with 10 blue wouldn’t actually count as going airborne, and he’d come right down without the green countdown being triggered. But now in Best friends forever, he does hybrid tech slicer and stays airborne for two turns as you would expect from the power wording. I hope this is intended behavior and not a bug.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    The first run of Junkyard Wars, his powers weren't working that way. You would put out a green tile, and then go airborne with 10 blue ap banked up. It would play the Going Airborne animation, then it would do the conditional for Hybrid Tech Slicer, and then he would be grounded again without triggering the green countdown or accruing any AP. I actually put in a bug ticket for it. I don't know when it got fixed, I haven't been using Vulture until recently when I got him champed.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    edited January 2018
    no, at that time, he wouldn't stay airborne after hybrid tech slicer fired off, and now he is, so when he returns from airborne, the green countdown is triggered as you would expect it to be.

It was behaving as if the Hybrid Tech Slicer passive was intercepting the "airborne" status before he got there, so the conditional on the green countdown was never properly triggered.