Opinions on 5 Clears

1235»

Comments

• Ruinate
    Ruinate Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    edited July 2017
    But was 40 matches fun or not?
    don't expect the game to be balanced around something that is realistically achievable only by whales and super hardcore players.

This thread's really about adding a clear to pve.  5 clears and 40 matches is pretty freaking hardcore, dude.  It's always been about spending and playing more.  Where have you been

• Elric_VIII
    Elric_VIII Posts: 103 Tile Toppler
    edited July 2017
    Ruinate said:
    don't expect the game to be balanced around something that is realistically achievable only by whales and super hardcore players.

This thread's really about adding a clear to pve.  5 clears and 40 matches is pretty freaking hardcore, dude.  It's always been about spending and playing more.  Where have you been

It wasn't any less fun than usual because I pace myself on when I go for a reward. That means I don't feel the obligation to reach that goal, so when I do it is a bonus for me (i.e. - a positive stimulus).

But, my point was that for me or players that more more casual than me, not much changes. Since I'd consider myself at the high end of casual, my point is that this change does not create a problem for a majority of the playerbase. I have little interest in optimal clearing, shield hopping, and leveraging points on line, but I have played games where I do show that level of dedication. So I say with relative certainty that if this change causes an issue with high-end players it is that portion of the game that needs to be re-balanced.

Just to answer directly again: I am not invested in this game to the point where I feel any obligation to play it when it becomes not fun, so those times that I did play 40+ matches to hit a 900 was fun for me. 

EDIT: Oh, and the reason I'm comparing the 40 wins vs. 5 clears is that additional clears affect everyone because it either forces them to play more or shifts their rewards down for the same play. For players at or below my level (which is going to be the majority) the PvP change has little effect.
  • DaveR4470
    DaveR4470 Posts: 931 Critical Contributor
    I do not like 5 clears and ham
    I do not like them, Sam I Am.
  • Tee
    Tee Posts: 231 Tile Toppler
    Used to at least try for the 4 clears each week. It was an obtainable goal and if I missed it, I was fine with the rewards I got instead. Five just feels too far out of my limit to do every day and I've barely been hitting the 4* progression. Don't even know if I'm going to get Vulture this cycle. Just feels like a slog.
  • Ruinate
    Ruinate Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    edited July 2017
    Ruinate said:

It wasn't any less fun than usual because I pace myself on when I go for a reward. That means I don't feel the obligation to reach that goal, so when I do it is a bonus for me (i.e. - a positive stimulus).

But, my point was that for me or players that more more casual than me, not much changes. Since I'd consider myself at the high end of casual, my point is that this change does not create a problem for a majority of the playerbase. I have little interest in optimal clearing, shield hopping, and leveraging points on line, but I have played games where I do show that level of dedication. So I say with relative certainty that if this change causes an issue with high-end players it is that portion of the game that needs to be re-balanced.

Just to answer directly again: I am not invested in this game to the point where I feel any obligation to play it when it becomes not fun, so those times that I did play 40+ matches to hit a 900 was fun for me. 

EDIT: Oh, and the reason I'm comparing the 40 wins vs. 5 clears is that additional clears affect everyone because it either forces them to play more or shifts their rewards down for the same play. For players at or below my level (which is going to be the majority) the PvP change has little effect.
    I can get behind your point of not needing to win every reward, but I disagree with your stance of "it doesn't affect me so I'm all for it." If this change does nothing for you why are you trying to argue with me and disregard an entire group of players?  You could very well be playing in this exact tier just a few months from now.  It doesn't take that long and is easily accomplished by those that want it.  They could have opened MMR so that you get higher value targets and vets get more variety in their targets.  They could have reduced point loss below 900 even further to relieve some stress while the 3*-4* guys push their limits which then gives you even more high value targets.  Or they could have not moved the CP and set the minimum for the 900 reward lower.  Instead what we really have is a nerf in rewards, an excuse to not fix MMR, another reason to not open CL9 and reduced player engagement since everyone is going to be just fishing for the easiest match that they can find.  Another mindless grind.  
  • Elric_VIII
    Elric_VIII Posts: 103 Tile Toppler
    Ruinate said:
    Ruinate said:

I can get behind your point of not needing to win every reward, but I disagree with your stance of "it doesn't affect me so I'm all for it." If this change does nothing for you why are you trying to argue with me and disregard an entire group of players?  You could very well be playing in this exact tier just a few months from now.  It doesn't take that long and is easily accomplished by those that want it.  They could have opened MMR so that you get higher value targets and vets get more variety in their targets.  They could have reduced point loss below 900 even further to relieve some stress while the 3*-4* guys push their limits which then gives you even more high value targets.  Or they could have not moved the CP and set the minimum for the 900 reward lower.  Instead what we really have is a nerf in rewards, an excuse to not fix MMR, another reason to not open CL9 and reduced player engagement since everyone is going to be just fishing for the easiest match that they can find.  Another mindless grind.  
    That's not quite my point, though. I'm saying that the 40 wins is a net positive for the average player and that the high end needs to be adjusted if this change creates another problem. From what I read on the forums 5* play has more problems than the one introduced here. The 5* tier needs to be fixed, but not going through with changes to the game overall in deference of that won't solve the problem. 
  • MaskedMan
    MaskedMan Posts: 234 Tile Toppler
    Since I usually do 6 clears I don't mind the 5 load but the rewards do not match the requirements.  Given that everyone is badly short on IO now it seems a given that extra IO rewards in the 5 and 6 rounds are necessary at the very least.  Some major method of earning IO in this game is needed.  Hoarding points is not the answer - that just delays the problem.   If they are going to release characters and cards a this new rate then they need to also release IO at a rate to MATCH the card rate.  One would think this is simple logic.

Making the top 100 by doing 3-4 is very subjective, it depends on how many play and how hard they compete.  Also when you join. (I have joined late on occasion and gotten sessions that were very low in population).  Personally I would rather see the rewards for TOP X rolled into the progression rewards and eliminated.  Other than the release of new cards, these rewards favor a very small number of players giving everyone else garbage and a small IO reward.  Eliminate the top 10 and add the average reward to the progression and be done with it.  This just encourages cheating and play styles that has nothing to do with PvE events.  Leave PvP to the PvP server.

As far as the changes go, the game changes over time whether we like it of not.  You used to be able to play easy PvP nodes for quite a long time and make PvP points that way, now you get 300s immediately whether you have any or not.  Some prefer this (i assume the people with lots of 300's  ;) ) but regardless this is  what we've got now.

I basically I play till I burn out then quit completely until I feel like coming back.  There are more characters than I'll ever be able to collect anyway so leaving doesn't really make any difference.  For me, the way the game is organized, slowing down and doing partial progression is just too dang frustrating.  Better not to play at all.
  • nonnel
    nonnel Posts: 128 Tile Toppler
    5 clears + 40 wins = full time MPQ job