Opinions on 5 Clears

Comments

• optimus2861
    optimus2861 Posts: 1,233 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm just getting my toes into 4* land now, with 9 champions, including Carol, and a 13-cover Medusa inching closer to 270. So clearing 4/6 isn't as painful as it used to be. Especially in Venom Bomb with Carol & Thor being boosted. They munched through everyone without too much grief, often with Medusa along for the ride.

But that fifth clear, at higher scaling, for fewer points, just feels like a kick in the teeth. No need of it. None. And I missed final prog in Venom by about 4K points mostly because I felt like **** on Sunday and barely got my 4/6 in that day.

Devs, take it back to 4/6 for most / all of the CP in an event. Scale the CP back 15-20% if you must. Then put some other rewards - nice fat chunks of ISO, say, more event tokens - beyond that, at the 5/6, 6/6 marks. That's all you had to do and most everyone would've been happy. You still can. Pretty please?
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    The system is definitely unfriendly to casual players.  I've been hitting at least 6 clears to maintain xp growth so I can hit a 50k Iso bonus every week, but if/when I downshift or something prevents me from playing a sub, that 55 cp loss is going to be a bitter pill.

I'm also going to have a hard time with 7 day events if the SCL scaling is maintained from the test.  CL7 was a breeze and I was able to finish clears in about half the time it usually takes.  That was really nice.  CL8's enemies were scaled higher than mine currently are on roster-based scaling.  It's a lot more cp, but double the effort, which makes it less likely that I'll even reach it if I've got anything important going on that week.
  • Alsmir
    Alsmir Posts: 508 Critical Contributor
    Extra clear on max enemy levels = about 50% extra time grinding. Rewards don't make up for that.
  • Avalanche Kincaid
    Avalanche Kincaid Posts: 83 Match Maker
    yeah, they really up the levels on that 5th clear and venom bomb is the worse event ever created but 7 day events are much much better now then before.  68 cp vs. 25 cp, and double prog covers makes it feel less of a slog then before.  D3, give 7 day rewards for Venom bomb and you will make alot of people happy to play that garbage.  Also can you change rotation of some of the boosted 4*'s?  maybe move punisher and/or thor/IM40 to one of the weaker weeks.  Too much sweetness in the same week.  God I love good high level boosted 4*'s, such better skills then most of the 5* class.
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2017
    It's lovely to know I'm not alone on my feelings on this change and how much it has effected my desire to continue to play.
  • MissChinch
    MissChinch Posts: 509 Critical Contributor
    I'd prefer the additional +7 or +8 CP the OP refers to be put at the end of progression and leave the large lump of CP at 4 clears.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    5 clears is too much, especially with scaling out of control at the 5* level. I hope it gets better when they do SCL-based scaling.

I liked the 4 clears, because then you could do 4 clears and then take the evening off to play other games. But now you have to play this game... forever!!! I have three hours of commute to work and home, and it's still somehow not enough to get through all the clears, plus ddq and pvp!
  • Beer40
    Beer40 Posts: 826 Critical Contributor
    I've said it before, I'll say it again: 5 clears per node sucks. I like the extra rewards, although I'm not going to say "thanks" because I don't believe that's in order. If they want a thank you from me they'll need to keep the current rewards (or improve them) and lower the clears for max progression back down to 4 per node.
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    I have still reached progression everytime, but i have played way less pvp. It used to be 4 clears, then focus on pvp. Now its 4 clears, then a couple more clears, then maybe another. 5 clears each feels like too much, and since I rather play a few to 6 and leave a few at 4, I am never sure until the last day that I will get progression. So my pvp time has suffered. I was getting 575 regularly and getting 900 occasionally. This season I am barely gonna reach the 10 pack, and not get any of the 900 4* covers. But its fun getting 55 cp at once since I rarely save up that much on my own.
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    5 clears is too many. I always felt that 4 clears was acceptable for max progression, it was easily done over 24 hours without boredom setting in. I dont know if its just a psychological thing or not but I find doing that 5th clear really, really boring. I feel it shouldn't be necessary for events that dont feature a new character. 
  • ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    Nepenthe said:
    @ZootSax, try playing a different time slice and/or joining the event at least an hour after your slice started. It sounds like you're getting in some pretty competitive brackets, but they're not all like that.

Yeah, I need to try joining the events in progress.  I've always pre-joined since I started playing, so these tend to be the brackets I find myself in, at least in the three slices I've tried since the test events ended and the current format became the new standard.  It's rare I actually play the opening moments of an event, so there really is no reason to pre-join anything...

Thanks for the advice.

• broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2017
    5 clears is too many. I always felt that 4 clears was acceptable for max progression, it was easily done over 24 hours without boredom setting in. I dont know if its just a psychological thing or not but I find doing that 5th clear really, really boring. I feel it shouldn't be necessary for events that dont feature a new character. 
    This is likely do to the fact that the 5th and 6th clears are the ones with the highest level characters.  Higher level characters mean more HP, which means more time to win (unless you switch your characters to stronger ones), more time for the same thing can equate to more boring.

It generally takes the same amount of time to do the first 4 clears in all nodes as it does to do the last 2 clears in all nodes, meaning the 5th and 6th take twice as long on average.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,700 Chairperson of the Boards
    Has not changed my style of play whatsoever.
  • shmoli
    shmoli Posts: 18 Just Dropped In
    sinnerjfl said:
    My opinion when they introduced was that 5 clears is too much and the rewards we're too backloaded. It asks that you commit even more time than before for slightly more rewards.

My opinion hasnt changed and I tend to skip more events since then.
    This.
  • animaniactoo
    animaniactoo Posts: 486 Mover and Shaker
    It hasn't changed my style of play, BUT it does play into my ongoing struggle over the amount of time I've been spending on the game and doing just progression is pretty much a requirement just to keep up, much less progressing your roster.

VB, I spent 3.5 to 4 hours a day on the game. That is actually more time than I have available in my life to give to something like a mobile game. I do it anyway because well, I'm insane. But that really doesn't mean it's sustainable.

A year ago I could do it in a couple of hours, spread throughout the day. Today, not so much.

I am not sure if SCL scaling will fix this, but I was fine to drop down a level in order to play to *my* ability to play and lose out on rewards mildly as a good return for having the time back.

I do feel that they needed to make progression further in, OR update the placement rewards because otherwise, in general the difference between getting T200, T100, and T50 just isn't worth it as an incentive to keep going once you've gotten progression. However, that could just as easily have been done with 4 clears for progression, 3 initial clears per node with only 5 *possible* and cutting down the amount of work the game is overall.
  • max5esq
    max5esq Posts: 58 Match Maker
    I agree with almost everyone the 5 clears is a negative and has led to me playing less in most events, the 5 clears part is not what though it is the way the spread the CP rewards...I am fine with having extra rewards after the 4th clear, but backloading all those hero points is the annoying part, I know get less reward for my first 4 clears. I literally don't have time to do 5 clears every week, 4 is really hard to manage with my real life commitments. If they had added the 8 command points on the end this would not be a real issue, but they chose to move it all back, which really sucks. I definitely have been thinking about quitting. It is a shame too, they did a great job on the sinister 6 event and Vulture seems like a good charecter but the 5 clears for the 25 command points is aweful, and the solution is so easy, just spread those points over more rewards.
  • Stax the Foyer
    Stax the Foyer Posts: 941 Critical Contributor
    If there's one positive to 5 clears, it's that if I wind up missing a good portion of a sub for whatever reason, it's an absurdly easy decision to skip the remainder of the event.
    4 clears are always worth it, though, even if you won't get the pot of CP at the end of the rainbow.  That's where all the ISO is.