*** Storm (Mohawk) ***

Options

Comments

• Katai
    Katai Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    But red is also most single use. After using your red, there aren't any more environment tiles to use anymore. I'm still leaning 4/4/5 or 5/3/5 because of this.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Katai wrote:
    But red is also most single use. After using your red, there aren't any more environment tiles to use anymore. I'm still leaning 4/4/5 or 5/3/5 because of this.

It really depends on what you are looking Storm to do for you. Her red provides damage and board shake up and her green is AP and board shake up. if you look at the difference between level 4 red and 5 red the difference is 59 damage per tile. If there are 9 ENV tiles that is an extra 531 damage. If you use green you are also blocking more damage from occuring from stronger characters. I think you are better off with 5 red and 3 green. This can work well with Patch who throws out green strike tiles and storm attacks with red. With Sentry You can fire red and get solid damage and then use world rupture and not have to worry about ENV tiles blocking your countdown tiles.
    If you also think about PVE there are gennerally more ENV tiles so you will do even more damage there. Quick damage is the name of the game and it might be variable but can be very powerful and have board shake up. Her black can also do a lot of sustained damage and block some of these abilities as well.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Katai wrote:

correct, but you also don't have any AP anymore. So in the time it takes to get the 9AP again the board is probably filled back up. In theory you can cast green a bit faster since it will get you at least 14 AP and some is bound to be green.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Can anyone tell us what are the basic values for red covers?

Regards
  • Phaserhawk
    Options
    So now that Mohwak might be one of the most powerful characters in the game. Yeah that's right, I'm wondering what people think is the most optimal build. I guess it comes down to how you want to play her. Do you want max damage or max utility? Max damage I think you have to go 3/5/5. Green is so overused and there are so many better options you just won't use it. 5 in yellow/old red is too good. 1500 dmg for 9 AP and now nets you 7 TU tiles. One can now go, 9 yellow, cast get 7 TU hope for another and then cast a TU World Rupture. So the question I think comes down to green or black. And with the new TU i think green has to be looked at this way.

Lvl 3 Green==Avg 1.42 TU tiles
    Lvl 4 Green==Avg 1.71 TU tiles
    Lvl 5 Green==Avg 2.00 TU tiles

If your new goal is to get as many TU tiles as possible than 5/5/3 is probably the best build. However, giving up 10 green AP is huge considering that it can cast other things. Black is still good at lvl 3. I'm debating 4/5/4, I was going to go 3/5/5 and still may, but with Deadpool coming in and his Black being able to shield lowest health, he will be able to keep Ms. Mohawk alive thus she in essence has a 1700 shield that regenerates. So she is going to be able to create her chaos. In fact all the lower health guys are getting a fun shield in Deadpool, but we shall see.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    So now that Mohwak might be one of the most powerful characters in the game. Yeah that's right, I'm wondering what people think is the most optimal build. I guess it comes down to how you want to play her. Do you want max damage or max utility? Max damage I think you have to go 3/5/5. Green is so overused and there are so many better options you just won't use it. 5 in yellow/old red is too good. 1500 dmg for 9 AP and now nets you 7 TU tiles. One can now go, 9 yellow, cast get 7 TU hope for another and then cast a TU World Rupture. So the question I think comes down to green or black. And with the new TU i think green has to be looked at this way.

Lvl 3 Green==Avg 1.42 TU tiles
    Lvl 4 Green==Avg 1.71 TU tiles
    Lvl 5 Green==Avg 2.00 TU tiles

If your new goal is to get as many TU tiles as possible than 5/5/3 is probably the best build. However, giving up 10 green AP is huge considering that it can cast other things. Black is still good at lvl 3. I'm debating 4/5/4, I was going to go 3/5/5 and still may, but with Deadpool coming in and his Black being able to shield lowest health, he will be able to keep Ms. Mohawk alive thus she in essence has a 1700 shield that regenerates. So she is going to be able to create her chaos. In fact all the lower health guys are getting a fun shield in Deadpool, but we shall see.

Just remember 1 World Rupture can wreak your whole day!! icon_lol.gificon_twisted.gif
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,609 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'd say 5/5/3. Green generates 4 more AP (a net gain of 4 total AP each time you cast, plus cascades). Black does 680 damage instead of 1088, which seems like a lot, but Hailstorm has diminishing returns, as it's impossible to avoid them getting matched away. If you're running Mohawk, it's probably for AP generation, so that seems to be the build.
  • Phaserhawk
    Options
    wymtime wrote:
    Just remember 1 World Rupture can wreak your whole day!! icon_lol.gificon_twisted.gif

And Hailstorm can do the exact same for World Rupture
  • It would be nice if the OP could be updated to the new MotE.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    In fact all the lower health guys are getting a fun shield in Deadpool, but we shall see.
    I'm not really seeing that. The trigger is so high, I don't see his passive coming into play often enough to be that useful.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,296 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    After the introduction of Team Ups and the subsequent changes done to 1* and 3* to accommodate the new tiles, some of us protested that this constituted a significant nerf to an already weak character. We were told to watch and see how awesome it would be to get all that T-U AP with her red, er, yellow ability and that it would doubtless even out the much reduced damage output and board reconfiguration of the previous effect.

Now that I, and everyone has had a chance, or rather, an obligation to play with her in the PVP event, what do you think? Personally I think that she's now one of the weakest 3*s. Her ex-red ability was her most important ability and in a board with a decent number of environmental tiles, say 12 or more (not a rare occurrence, by any means) she could deal upwards of 2k damage and much, much more depending on the ensuing cascades. The current damage is now a fraction of that, the cascades are all but gone and 5 T-U AP very, very infrequently will make a difference. (5 and not 7 because yellow is now, by far, her worst ability. It is now a ridiculous proposition to weaken her green and/or black skills just to get 2 tiles more and a pittance of additional damage.) Let us look closer on the 5 T-U AP thing, shall we? 5 T-U will only make an immediate difference (as her old ability used to) if:

-You have enough T-U AP already that adding 5 will allow you to fire your T-U ability.
    -You do not have already enough T-U AP to fire it, making excess AP obsolete. (And at that, if you have enough that 3 would fill it up, you may just make a match and use yellow for a better skill.)
    -You equipped a T-U power or have not used it yet.
    -The T-U power will actually do something relevant (because we all are not riddled with Bullseye's and Yelena's T-Us, right?)

In other words, her Yellow is only good if you equipped a really powerful T-U and you want to fire it as soon as possible. But how often will that happen? Do we really have Magnetic Translocations, Supernovas, and Rage of the Panthers to use in each battle? No. We save those rare T-Us for really difficult or important battles. So I ask you... do you want to bring a character as weak (and squishy) as Storm is now to this difficult or important battle? ONLY in the hopes of firing quickly a T-U? Wouldn't you be better served bringing a strong character instead and not have to rely on the T-U?

Conclusion: Her yellow is extremely weak and only conditionally helpful. Storm was already a character that barely anyone played, and the latest changes have rendered her completely useless. This is a nerf almost on the magnitude of Spidey's nerf with the difference that he was actually overpowered. A nerf to an already weak character is as useless as it is mean to the few people that liked that character.
  • Basically ever since it was known that her red (now yellow) was going to cost 9 instead of 5, Storm has been pretty thoroughly ****. This is just even worse - losing the potential for more than half of a Jungle in return for maybe half of a Mjolnir's Might (which you forget to turn on anyways), plus losing a lot of cascade potential as well as board cleanup... Meh.
  • Phaserhawk wrote:
    So now that Mohwak might be one of the most powerful characters in the game.

...Beg your pardon? Tiny health pool, weak damage, one really great power that will generate AP and overlaps with many of the best skills in the game (if you're burning 10 green AP in the 3* range and it's not for Patch, Thor, Sentry, or Punisher - you know, one of those skills that will end games - something has gone wrong), 1* premium skill nerfed into the ground. Yeah, she can get TUAP. So what? Good team-ups are rather rare (especially with the massive library of yelenas you inevitably get stuck with), and if you'd run Storm for a chance at casting them, why not, you know, just run a better character instead? I don't see it - I think Storm is kind of awful.
  • Let me preface this by saying I do not have her fully covered or leveled yet, and I don't actually think she's that good. However, allow me to play devil's advocate for a moment here.

Regarding her yellow power, a few things to consider. For one thing, I think 5 covers is more valuable than you're giving it credit for. Seven versus five tiles of destruction is a significant improvement, and it's still one of the better board shakes in the game for cascade purposes because it does something no other power does: it only destroys tiles of one "color". When they finally implement a better TU management system it will be easier to use good TUs more frequently, and while you're turning yellow AP into TU AP you're also keeping TU AP out of enemy hands. Let's not forget that while you may not be taking good TUs into battle every time, the enemy does has three TUs every time, and at least one of them is likely to be something you don't want to happen, particularly at high levels. BP's yellow got a big boost, and LThor's is potentially game ending by itself, but yellow is still a relatively rare active power color, and this isn't a bad one for everything it does.

For three black matches, Hailstones is still an extremely annoying power. At 5 covers it spams half the board with attack tiles, making it very difficult to get rid of. Pair it with strike tiles and you're pretty much guaranteed to be doubling up on that damage every turn for a long time. It also gets honorable mention for being a very effective World Rupture blocker if you can get it off first. That leaves her green with only 3 covers, but all you're giving up there is four tiles of destruction. You're still turning ten green into ten random AP and a likely cascade, which isn't a bad deal if you have no other green power on your team (and shame on you if you don't icon_razz.gif).

What really holds her back is her terrible hit points. There's no way to put a positive spin on that. They suck. But consider the rest food for thought.
  • I'm starting to think she may be the single least useful 3*. The other generally lousy ones all at least have some situational uses; the only thing I can think of that she does better than anyone else is spamming hailstorm tiles to mess up World Rupture, but I'd rather use OBW as a pure anti-World Rupture weapon because she has other uses.
  • HairyDave
    HairyDave Posts: 1,574
    Options
    I don't see it - I think Storm is kind of awful.
    And right at this point in time I agree with you.

However, should TUs actually become more useful (easier to manage, equip, whatever) in future, Mostorm is going to be pretty potent if she can enable you to get them out a lot faster. If I could be guaranteed to get the same spread of TU abilities the AI is managing to get, I'd be using her a hell of a lot.
  • I could see Storm being OK if she cleared all TU tiles, but you got a max AP of five - that is a significant change and brings back some old functionality of getting rid of (semi)useless tiles, getting a bunch of cascades, and setting up 4/5 matches.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,296 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Thugpatrol wrote:
    Let me preface this by saying I do not have her fully covered or leveled yet, and I don't actually think she's that good. However, allow me to play devil's advocate for a moment here.

Regarding her yellow power, a few things to consider. For one thing, I think 5 covers is more valuable than you're giving it credit for. Seven versus five tiles of destruction is a significant improvement, and it's still one of the better board shakes in the game for cascade purposes because it does something no other power does: it only destroys tiles of one "color". When they finally implement a better TU management system it will be easier to use good TUs more frequently, and while you're turning yellow AP into TU AP you're also keeping TU AP out of enemy hands. Let's not forget that while you may not be taking good TUs into battle every time, the enemy does has three TUs every time, and at least one of them is likely to be something you don't want to happen, particularly at high levels. BP's yellow got a big boost, and LThor's is potentially game ending by itself, but yellow is still a relatively rare active power color, and this isn't a bad one for everything it does.

For three black matches, Hailstones is still an extremely annoying power. At 5 covers it spams half the board with attack tiles, making it very difficult to get rid of. Pair it with strike tiles and you're pretty much guaranteed to be doubling up on that damage every turn for a long time. It also gets honorable mention for being a very effective World Rupture blocker if you can get it off first. That leaves her green with only 3 covers, but all you're giving up there is four tiles of destruction. You're still turning ten green into ten random AP and a likely cascade, which isn't a bad deal if you have no other green power on your team (and shame on you if you don't icon_razz.gif).

What really holds her back is her terrible hit points. There's no way to put a positive spin on that. They suck. But consider the rest food for thought.

Yes black is quite decent and green, while random can be powerful. No way in hell you want NOT to give her 5 covers in each of those colours when what you get from maxing Yellow is so little in comparison. And yeah, sure you can put the positive spin that taking a number of tiles of the same "colour" from the board is a good thing. But remember, my main point is that she /was nerfed/. So you like that she takes away 5 (or 7, if you really want to go that way) white tiles from the board? Well, my friend, there were times when she used to get them ALL. Back then she also dealt slightly more damage per tile broken, so the actual damage output was much, much higher WITHOUT counting the inevitable cascades.

You may have a point when you say that that skill is useful at denying the defending team T-U AP. Then again, you may just bring a better character (basically any 3* not called Loki or Ragnarok, and hell, half the 2*s are arguably better) and finish the game quicker, before the opponent collects enough T-U AP.

You want to pretend that she's still useful (even though she's not a damage dealer, a tank, or a NON-conditional support character) please be my guest. You still cannot scratch my point that she was nerfed, nor that such nerf was unfair for an already mediocre (if fun) character. Now she's more mediocre and less fun to play.
  • To me, the 3* Ltome usefulness in the 3* reign is on par with 3* bagman and Dare Devil.

And all the 1* are useless now, unless my suggested change to her yellow, or some change on par to my suggestion, is implemented to make 1* Storm become useful again.
  • The fact that they powered up none of the *1 in Thick as Thieves lets us know exactly what they think of *1s, and also what they think of F2P.

Storm's MVP colour is actually that Black hoo! That's a lot of lingering damage.