resources, getting ripped off??

Comments

• broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Daiches said:
    Any of you fly commercially? You've either paid less or more than the person sitting next to you for the same seat type and flight.

Any of you bought a new car? You paid less or more for the same year and features than the person that bought just before you. The dealership charged either more or less for the same exact car.

Are 1st time customer discounts unfair? 

If you guys think D3 invented different pricing for the same goods to different people you guys are in dreamland. It's called capitalism. Amazon does it too, they know people's spending habits.

Even supermarkets do it - "Just For U takes their past six months of shopping history (as captured by their club card) and uses it to build a shopper profile specific to him or her."

Appears that since we can do an @brigby this game makes us upset at something we are ok with in most of our other consumer interactions.

The other examples you give are upfront about it and don't try to hide this fact.

Shopping example is a savings card rewarding long time buyers (not applicable here since bonus is given w/o rhyme or reason, see examples above), car purchases have negotiable pricing with dealer (not applicable here), airplane fares are frequent flyers rewards or deals (not applicable since not a sale) or different seating (that would be buying an Asgard over a Stark, so not applicable). And we also know it's definitely not first time buyers rewards (see posts above).

All we ask is for them to be fair. Don't screw over customers. If you are going to advantage some players over others, be up front about it. Announce sales for limited groups of players ( This week only all new players on Android that have purchased HP once, but not on the last month and can curl their tongues can get an extra 25% on purchases If they do so while hopping on one leg.)
    The pricing of cars and airlines are anything but upfront and fair.  You just don't have the shock value because it's been that way for so long you expect it.  He's dead on.  This happens all the time and way more than your realize.  Not saying it's right, I'm just saying you guys are getting upset about 'normal' business practices that no amount of whining here is going to change.  Ultimately, now you know, and knowing half the battle.  
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    broll said:
    Daiches said:
    Any of you fly commercially? You've either paid less or more than the person sitting next to you for the same seat type and flight.

Any of you bought a new car? You paid less or more for the same year and features than the person that bought just before you. The dealership charged either more or less for the same exact car.

If you guys think D3 invented different pricing for the same goods to different people you guys are in dreamland. It's called capitalism. Amazon does it too, they know people's spending habits.

Even supermarkets do it - "Just For U takes their past six months of shopping history (as captured by their club card) and uses it to build a shopper profile specific to him or her."

Appears that since we can do an @brigby this game makes us upset at something we are ok with in most of our other consumer interactions.

The other examples you give are upfront about it and don't try to hide this fact.

Shopping example is a savings card rewarding long time buyers (not applicable here since bonus is given w/o rhyme or reason, see examples above), car purchases have negotiable pricing with dealer (not applicable here), airplane fares are frequent flyers rewards or deals (not applicable since not a sale) or different seating (that would be buying an Asgard over a Stark, so not applicable). And we also know it's definitely not first time buyers rewards (see posts above).

All we ask is for them to be fair. Don't screw over customers. If you are going to advantage some players over others, be up front about it. Announce sales for limited groups of players ( This week only all new players on Android that have purchased HP once, but not on the last month and can curl their tongues can get an extra 25% on purchases If they do so while hopping on one leg.)
    The pricing of cars and airlines are anything but upfront and fair.  You just don't have the shock value because it's been that way for so long you expect it.  He's dead on.  This happens all the time and way more than your realize.  Not saying it's right, I'm just saying you guys are getting upset about 'normal' business practices that no amount of whining here is going to change.  Ultimately, now you know, and knowing half the battle.  
    Well, next time you purchase or win anything, D3 will remove 25% of the value without telling you you are getting 25% less than anyone else. Seems fair, no? No point in complaining. Just standard practices.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2017
    Daiches said:
    broll said:
    Daiches said:

Well, next time you purchase or win anything, D3 will remove 25% of the value without telling you you are getting 25% less than anyone else. Seems fair, no? No point in complaining. Just standard practices.
    There's a big difference between taking away something you bought and a price change.  When you click buy you're choosing to pay that amount for that item(s).  It's always your judgement call whether to make that purchase or not.

Again I never said these standard business practices are fair, I'd be more likely to argue the opposite.  Just pointing out the futility of posting here like D3 would change things.  If anything they are less generous then the standards of business, not more.  
  • Beer40
    Beer40 Posts: 826 Critical Contributor
    Not to derail the post, but its time for a story! Awhile ago, due to recent changes, I decided to quit spending altogether. I did this for 1 month. I realized in that month that I really like VIP because the quicker health regeneration really supports my play style and makes the game more fun for me. I have the disposable income, so I went back to VIP. *****I want it very clear that I re-enabled VIP for ME, not to support MPQ (although it has that effect), because I DO NOT agree with their business practices*****.

Also, I had disavowed the HfH store at 3600 HP because I'd had the 2500 HP price. Well, a couple covers I wanted came up and I had way more HP than I needed so I bought them. *****I want it very clear that I bought HfH for ME, not to support MPQ (although it has that effect), because I DO NOT agree with their business practices*****.

So here we are again. Shady business practices. Same ole, same ole... And guess what? I get $100 for my birthday every year from my parents (full disclosure: I am a grown **** man that has asked them to not give me gifts but it makes them happy and they're insistent. Whatever, I gave up trying to stop them 3 years ago). Usually, I just put that $100 in the savings account. This year, I wanted to actually buy something. This is free money to me so I'm thinking I'd waste it on MPQ, and (literally) buy as many of the 3rd cover HfH stores as I needed.

Now we're really here again! HfH has changed, for the worse, yet again. Oh, and some people get extra HP for the same purchase I would get less for? In a game where competition/placement is a real thing and encouraged? COME ON MAN! *****I want it very clear that I am NOT buying that Stark now, and I'm shutting down VIP again, because I DO NOT agree with their business practices*****.

*****And I want it to be very clear that when MPQ messed with my game experience, I stopped being a paying customer and still came back. BUT NOW THEY ARE MESSING WITH MY MONEY. VIPs don't get the extra resources for purchases? Ridiculous. If anyone should receive extra HP for a purchase, its a VIP!!!****

This isn't just something they get to brush aside with me. It has nothing to do with "supporting the game" or "making the game more enjoyable" at this point. I will not spend a penny until a fair solution is implemented. They can mess with the game, at my displeasure, all they want. Its still a fun game. But this goes well beyond that.

• Painmonger
    Painmonger Posts: 163 Tile Toppler
    Still no updates to this to clarify the hidden, unmentioned, questionable "sale" mechanics? I've had a hard time trusting this game & it's devs lately & this seems like a pretty major infraction to me. I have taken a few days to only finish DDQ since this thread started & I'd like to know if we can expect a real answer or should I just quit playing entirely.
  • Lystrata
    Lystrata Posts: 322 Mover and Shaker
    edited July 2017
    Ah ha! Just noticed this thread.

I live with my partner, who also plays mpq. We both play mobile, both play through google play, both (obviously) live in the same country, etc. Eeeverything the same. 

Except for HP. I now get 25,000 HP for $AUD131 and he still only gets 20,000 for $AUD131 (and so on back down through the levels).

If this is some testing thing, it's not great. I had absolutely no idea my prices had changed. Found out only by chance when I mis-tapped onto the icon. 

I also won't be buying anything purely on principle. Giving some people additional digital resources vs. other people who are paying the same (costly) price is just a disgusting practice. It's certainly the final nail in the coffin re: my spending any more money on this game.
  • Panza87
    Panza87 Posts: 4 Just Dropped In
    Do different platforms have different amounts? My only offer (the only one ive ever seen) is $160aud for 20k coins.. i have been waiting on a sale for ages! 25k for $130 i would probably pull the trigger.. what the hell is that about :(

(im on ios)
  • NMANOZ
    NMANOZ Posts: 108 Tile Toppler
    Panza87 said:
    Do different platforms have different amounts? My only offer (the only one ive ever seen) is $160aud for 20k coins.. i have been waiting on a sale for ages! 25k for $130 i would probably pull the trigger.. what the hell is that about :(

(im on ios)
    On Android it is $132 AU for 20k coins!
  • MarkersMake
    MarkersMake Posts: 392 Mover and Shaker
    broll said:
    Daiches said:

Those aren't comparable examples. This is a competitive game where prizes are awarded for placement. The absolute number 1 basic rule, for any game, is that the game must be fair.

By giving better deals to some players, they are tilting the playing field, in exactly the same way they did with the HfH store prices. No, it's not a game-breaking difference, but it's still giving some players an advantage over others. At least for HfH they had the excuse of temporary A/B testing for a new feature and now its a uniform price for all players. But what's the justification for this? What *could* the justification possibly be, and where is the transparency to ensure that these differences are being distributed in a fair manner?
  • MissChinch
    MissChinch Posts: 509 Critical Contributor
    broll said:
    Daiches said:

Those aren't comparable examples. This is a competitive game where prizes are awarded for placement. The absolute number 1 basic rule, for any game, is that the game must be fair.

By giving better deals to some players, they are tilting the playing field, in exactly the same way they did with the HfH store prices. No, it's not a game-breaking difference, but it's still giving some players an advantage over others. At least for HfH they had the excuse of temporary A/B testing for a new feature and now its a uniform price for all players. But what's the justification for this? What *could* the justification possibly be, and where is the transparency to ensure that these differences are being distributed in a fair manner?

Its shady practices to be sure, but this is a pay to win game, its not going to be fair..  Adaptive pricing or just straight different pricing/different price schedule happens...  We don't all have the same salary, responsibilities or disposable income to use to take advantage of the buying options.  You wont get that fair game in a p2w game, but at least you know that before you ever start playing.
  • MarkersMake
    That's not at all what I meant. Of course there are going to be differences between people who have different ability/willingness to spend. 

Any two players with identical disposable incomes and spending limits/habits should be able to spend the same amount of money and receive the same amount of in-game items. For d3 to offer a permanent discount on those purchases for their friends and family makes the game fundamentally unfair (is it for friends and family? Who knows? No transparency!). 
  • MissChinch
    That's not at all what I meant. Of course there are going to be differences between people who have different ability/willingness to spend. 

Any two players with identical disposable incomes and spending limits/habits should be able to spend the same amount of money and receive the same amount of in-game items. For d3 to offer a permanent discount on those purchases for their friends and family makes the game fundamentally unfair (is it for friends and family? Who knows? No transparency!). 

I can agree with that.  Though I don't think its a permanent discount, and I'd fully expect unannounced price changes to subsets of people in the future. 

I guess its maybe that my expectation is different.  Adaptive price changes and sales are prevalent in micro-transaction games. 

We didn't really investigate, but when I started playing a year and a half ago my buddy and I were under the impression that I had a better deal than he did for a $20 HP pack...  It very well may have been a miscommunication or misunderstanding, but something like that's so common place that we didn't give it another thought.

So while I can totally agree that it would be more fair if they always offered players the same money to reward deals, across platforms and according to current international exchange rates, I just don't think that's a reasonable expectation in a pay to win, micro transaction based game.  I'd even go further and say that prior to this thread I would have said D3/Demi is doing an above average job about it...  I'm not seeing or hearing about a ton of "come back to mpq" deals schemes on adaptive pricing sales.

• MarkersMake
    edited July 2017

I can agree with that.  Though I don't think its a permanent discount, and I'd fully expect unannounced price changes to subsets of people in the future. 

I guess its maybe that my expectation is different.  Adaptive price changes and sales are prevalent in micro-transaction games. 

We didn't really investigate, but when I started playing a year and a half ago my buddy and I were under the impression that I had a better deal than he did for a $20 HP pack...  It very well may have been a miscommunication or misunderstanding, but something like that's so common place that we didn't give it another thought.

So while I can totally agree that it would be more fair if they always offered players the same money to reward deals, across platforms and according to current international exchange rates, I just don't think that's a reasonable expectation in a pay to win, micro transaction based game.  I'd even go further and say that prior to this thread I would have said D3/Demi is doing an above average job about it...  I'm not seeing or hearing about a ton of "come back to mpq" deals schemes on adaptive pricing sales.

Sales, I totally understand. Promotions ("come back to MPQ") make sense. But discounts to randomly selected players that aren't even advertised to those players? What can they even learn from that? 

As for your second quote, I'm not even taking about cross-platform, international exchange rate fairness. This thread was started by a poster whose wife plays on the same platform (android), in the same country, the same currency, comparable days played, and the same spending habits. You don't think it's a reasonable expectation that they would have the same pricing, just because it's a microtransaction-based game? 
  • MissChinch

Sales, I totally understand. Promotions ("come back to MPQ") make sense. But discounts to randomly selected players that aren't even advertised to those players? What can they even learn from that? 

As for your second quote, I'm not even taking about cross-platform, international exchange rate fairness. This thread was started by a poster whose wife plays on the same platform (android), in the same country, the same currency, comparable days played, and the same spending habits. You don't think it's a reasonable expectation that they would have the same pricing, just because it's a microtransaction-based game? 

Based on other games I've played the adaptive pricing thing seems the norm, discounts/sales based on some factors that aren't seen but amount to offering the types of deals the playstyle you've been executing.  Now its been a long while and what I've seen is just anecdotal so I could be way off base. 

Personally, I would expect adaptive pricing of some sort in these kinda micro-transaction mobile games, however I would also expect it to be some deterministic model where similar play style, monies spent etc would be offered the same deal, I don't think that's too unreasonable.

What makes this seem odd/shady to me is that its not called out as some sort of sale or giving the person with the cheaper rate any sort of indication that its a special price, so it doesn't look like a very good attempt to get them to spend more, its also easy to miss which doesn't make it seem like a good test scenario.  Something odd/shady tied to real money purchases is a situation that should be avoided IMO.

• Spudgutter
    Spudgutter Posts: 743 Critical Contributor

Maybe they are trying different price points to evaluate a possible price change?  
    Maybe they are testing the analytics of getting more sales by lowering the price?

Maybe they aren't announcing anything because the vocal minority come out and spew all kinds of hypotheticals and nonsense based on almost zero information?  Maybe because every change is viewed as a negative one before even given a chance to be realized?

Now, to your actual post.  

Why should two equal people be given the same price points?  If i am not spending money, and my competitive equal over there is spending a ton, why is it such a bad business idea to try to entice me to spend a few bucks? 

Who said it was permanent? 

Who said it was being given to friends and family?

You want to have a discussion about sales practices and price points, please keep it respectful and things we know of.  You start accusing the devs of shady things based on nothing but ignorance and your actice imagination and it devalues the conversation 
  • MarkersMake

Maybe they are trying different price points to evaluate a possible price change?  
    Maybe they are testing the analytics of getting more sales by lowering the price?

Maybe they aren't announcing anything because the vocal minority come out and spew all kinds of hypotheticals and nonsense based on almost zero information?  Maybe because every change is viewed as a negative one before even given a chance to be realized?

Why should two equal people be given the same price points?  If i am not spending money, and my competitive equal over there is spending a ton, why is it such a bad business idea to try to entice me to spend a few bucks? 

You want to have a discussion about sales practices and price points, please keep it respectful and things we know of.  You start accusing the devs of shady things based on nothing but ignorance and your actice imagination and it devalues the conversation 

THE OP SAID THAT HE AND HIS WIFE SPEND THE SAME. 

Sorry aboot that - caps lock must have gotten stuck somehow. :) 

As for the rest, the devs have given us zero information on this. It is NOT a new feature. And while it may indeed be temporary or permanent, given to friends and family, targeted based on playstyle, or entirely random, we have been give absolutely no information whatsoever.

Yeah, I could have been more clear that it was hyperbole by speculating that it was being given only to left-handed people with blond hair, but I thought I had emphasized that the lack of transparency was the actual issue. Regardless, when there is no information being shared by d3, there is no actual conversation to devalue. It's all blind speculation. 
  • thisone
    thisone Posts: 655 Critical Contributor
    edited July 2017
    Marvel Puzzle Quest- pricing https://imgur.com/gallery/urvjO

Just looked at my offers after noticing this thread. I guess they can adjust pricing after all. Funny that. 
  • Spudgutter
    Spudgutter Posts: 743 Critical Contributor

As for the rest, the devs have given us zero information on this. It is NOT a new feature. And while it may indeed be temporary or permanent, given to friends and family, targeted based on playstyle, or entirely random, we have been give absolutely no information whatsoever.

Yeah, I could have been more clear that it was hyperbole by speculating that it was being given only to left-handed people with blond hair, but I thought I had emphasized that the lack of transparency was the actual issue. Regardless, when there is no information being shared by d3, there is no actual conversation to devalue. It's all blind speculation. 
    I'm glad you know how to yell on the internet, reaffirming my guess that you are arguing just to troll.

That said, I'll go ahead and engage you, nonetheless. 

As i said in my post, and let me know if i should all caps or bold this, since you decided not to read it the first time, "maybe they are trying different price points to evaluate a possible price change?  
    Maybe they are testing the analytics of getting more sales by lowering the price?"

Now that i think about it even more, OP and his wife are perfect examples. If they are playing and paying similarly, and the devs tweak the resource amounts at all, and see a change in spending, that would be a great indicator of whether or not it would work on larger groups. 

So yeah, since we have zero information, when we are owed none (in an echo chamber which you have encapsulated wild speculation based on nothing as the norm for negative responses) hyperbole seems like the last thing this forum needs.
  • Yepyep
    Yepyep Posts: 952 Critical Contributor

I'm glad you know how to yell on the internet, reaffirming my guess that you are arguing just to troll.

That said, I'll go ahead and engage you, nonetheless. 

As i said in my post, and let me know if i should all caps or bold this, since you decided not to read it the first time, "maybe they are trying different price points to evaluate a possible price change?  
    Maybe they are testing the analytics of getting more sales by lowering the price?"

Now that i think about it even more, OP and his wife are perfect examples. If they are playing and paying similarly, and the devs tweak the resource amounts at all, and see a change in spending, that would be a great indicator of whether or not it would work on larger groups. 

So yeah, since we have zero information, when we are owed none (in an echo chamber which you have encapsulated wild speculation based on nothing as the norm for negative responses) hyperbole seems like the last thing this forum needs.
    Ayn Rand is calling and says she wants her sense of humor back.