Booster Crafting Delayed (6/22/17)

Options

Comments

• TheDragonHermit
    TheDragonHermit Posts: 465 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Brigby said:
    I'm not terribly upset with the delay. Sure: I wish it was coming this month, but, whatever...

What WOULD make me incredibly angry is if the booster crafting feature is implemented behind our backs with no knowledge of how it will impact the players.

Whenever the devs do decide to release this change, there needs to first be an announcement that is both transparent and comprehensive in how this system works. It needs to come in long enough advance (at least a week) so that players can make an informed decision whether to convert their dupes to runes or to wait for the crafting system to become part of the game.

Brigby
    Will the devs be willing to give such an announcement in order to empower players with a more informed decision whether to convert hoarded dupes to runes or to wait it out if they so desired?
    @Mickleberry
    Yes. Prior to Booster Crafting being implemented, we'd like to provide players more information about the system, particularly the conversion rates for duplicates. Once game stability and infrastructure have been improved, and Booster Crafting development has progressed further along, we will reach out to the team to inquire about being able to communicate any other confirmed system details.
    @Brigby , just prefacing this by saying I have nothing but respect for you, your job seems to be  fielding all the bile towards the developers for no fault of your own, not an easy thing. That being said, what information, as specific as possible please, can be given about the planned system and what lead to the delay? Does it have to do with issues of balance, did they run into issues with the code, did they hear feedback from here and think it would go over as well as the changes to boosters? I get the feeling that a lot of people are nervous about how this system will be done considering other recent changes and how they were comunicated to us. Please let whoever you need to that we just want to know where we are in the development and why they cannot release the system. I get the feeling that most of us would be a lot more patient if we got information on where the devs are at and how the system will work in unambiguous, and I cannot stress that enough, language. I would think at this point there should be some information on the system that can be conveyed.
  • Matthew
    Matthew Posts: 605 Critical Contributor
    Options
    @Brigby

I wouldn't say there's a ton of clarity to be gained from this, but it's at least a meaningful update in the sense that we know there's no new information. Thank you for the update, and please continue to keep us in the loop. This is one of the biggest complaints about the game, and also one of the most anticipated features, so it will be beneficial to the player base to be apprised of any and all updates as they become available to you.
  • gruntface
    gruntface Posts: 161 Tile Toppler
    Options
    @Brigby

Probably an extremely obvious point but one to make the devs aware of, especially in light of the infrastructure improvements being worked on.

When this feature hits, you will see a massive surge in traffic not just from current players but also dormant players who will dip their toes back in the water once it goes live. In short, please make sure in preparation you are ready for this surge and we don't encounter significant crashes along the lines of "something went wrong". If this were to happen mid-conversion for people who have been waiting months for this, it will not be well received especially with the amount of runway D3 has to get this right. It is bad enough we don't get to see the multipacks open and have to hunt them in our inventory, but this would be orders of magnitude worse.

Some may patiently wait it out until bugs/crashes are fixed, but I guarantee many will not as they will be keen to convert at the earliest opportunity.

I seriously doubt the surge will surprise anyone at D3 but please try to make this as smooth a launch as possible. The extra delay gives me hope this is being looked at very carefully so hope this is reflected in what we end up seeing.

Cheers.
  • ShawnP1
    ShawnP1 Posts: 128 Tile Toppler
    Options
    This sounds so thrilling I just have to check in. Hi! :)
  • losdamianos
    losdamianos Posts: 429 Mover and Shaker
    edited June 2017
    Options
    @Brigby
    1)first of all let me echo everyone else and say we will much rather have delayed but polished product than rushed release, thanks for the update....
    2) can we get confirmation if drop rate will be affected after booster crafting release ? 
    I would expect 20-25% drop in drop rates.... but we will see...
  • Tilwin90
    Tilwin90 Posts: 662 Critical Contributor
    Options
    @Brigby
    1)first of all let me echo everyone else and say we will much rather have delayed but polished product than rushed release, thanks for the update....
    2) can we get confirmation if drop rate will be affected after booster crafting release ? 
    I would expect 20-25% drop in drop rates.... but we will see...
    Don't give them ideas please. The drop rate is already horrendous... Invoking the "it can always get worse" argument is not sane here either...
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    gruntface said:
    Brigby

Probably an extremely obvious point but one to make the devs aware of, especially in light of the infrastructure improvements being worked on.

When this feature hits, you will see a massive surge in traffic not just from current players but also dormant players who will dip their toes back in the water once it goes live. In short, please make sure in preparation you are ready for this surge and we don't encounter significant crashes along the lines of "something went wrong". If this were to happen mid-conversion for people who have been waiting months for this, it will not be well received especially with the amount of runway D3 has to get this right. It is bad enough we don't get to see the multipacks open and have to hunt them in our inventory, but this would be orders of magnitude worse.

Some may patiently wait it out until bugs/crashes are fixed, but I guarantee many will not as they will be keen to convert at the earliest opportunity.

I seriously doubt the surge will surprise anyone at D3 but please try to make this as smooth a launch as possible. The extra delay gives me hope this is being looked at very carefully so hope this is reflected in what we end up seeing.

Cheers.
    @gruntface
    Thank you for your feedback. I will absolutely make sure to pass along this key point to the developers, regardless of if they are aware of this concern or not. As I said before, we definitely want to make sure this feature is implemented smoothly.
  • Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    They have to be careful because...
    1) They absolutely need to address dupes or everyone leaves and the game is dead.
    2) They need to get it perfect straight away or everyone leaves and the game is dead.

We have a lot of dupes saved up to convert, if that initial conversion doesn't make us at least _mostly_ satisfied we will all quit and leave.
    So they are in a bad place, it's a place they made, but by delaying this they seem to be saying they understand the gravity.
  • Fiddler
    Fiddler Posts: 251 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    The development team has stated they are working to improve the game infrastructure. That probably impacts all game and play mechanics, and not just crafting. I would not be surprised if this takes several months.  
  • blacklotus
    blacklotus Posts: 589 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Fiddler said:
    The development team has stated they are working to improve the game infrastructure. That probably impacts all game and play mechanics, and not just crafting. I would not be surprised if this takes several months.  
    I am betting on sometime in 2018. maybe.
  • shteev
    shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Fiddler said:
    I am betting on sometime in 2018. maybe.
    Mmm. A programming team which lets their reward calendar tick up to June 31st probably have their work cut out for them.
  • Fiddler
    Fiddler Posts: 251 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    So Hour of Devastation is due to be released at the end of this week, and I would guess it will hit MTGPQ next week. Are we still planning to introduce booster crafting in the release after that?
  • Matthew
    Matthew Posts: 605 Critical Contributor
    edited July 2017
    Options
    @Fiddler

I'm not in any rush for them to get it implemented, as long as that means they do it right (or more realistically, sort of right).

And I'd say that we can probably expect HOU by the end of the month at the latest. So when we account for the inevitable (though almost completely avoidable) scramble to fix their launch bugs, my guess would be that we won't see crafting until mid to late August at the earliest.
  • Daddystyx
    Daddystyx Posts: 103 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Update @Brigby ?
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    @Daddystyx
    No updates as of yet, however I speculate our next update will be an official announcement providing additional details about the Booster Crafting system.

I'll be reaching out to the developers this week to discuss this topic further.
  • TheDragonHermit
    TheDragonHermit Posts: 465 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Thank you for responding so quickly.
  • shteev
    shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Let's give them the couple of months they asked for.
  • babar3355
    babar3355 Posts: 1,128 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Uh oh.. Impending debate on what "a couple of months means"