Vaulting and its fallout are still significant issues in the game. . .

Options

Comments

• Fightmastermpq
    Fightmastermpq Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Vhailorx said:

You cover and champ a 4* like Iceman by setting him as your only 4* BH, and setting Mystique as your only 3* BH.  I've added something like 40 levels to my Iceman since vaulting went live by doing exactly this.  He is currently 369 and I'm just waiting to finish off my Mystique dupe for his final cover.  I switched to C4rol a couple weeks ago and have already pulled half a dozen BH covers for her.

Long term health of the game?  Vaulting has little to no impact, and BH offers a distinctly positive impact.  In the long term players are earning ISO at the same rate, and champing characters at the same rate.  The total number of champed characters on your roster will be the same, and your odds of having a boosted/featured character champed will be the same regardless.

What was really killing the long term health of the game was dilution, and vaulting solved it at the 4* tier.
    You are a 5* player at the (almost) highest tier of play (keep working on those 550s!).  You have gotten 40 something Iceman covers in 5 months. 

GrimSkald is also a super-vet and he (or she) has gotten 36 4* bonus covers. 

I am modest 4* vet in maybe the top 15 or 20% of rosters.  I have gotten somewhere around 15-20 4* bonus covers (and still no 5* covers!).

So your solution, fight, is that a new player needs to build up a roster sufficient to compete at at least my level (which is far from the top of the mountain, but still offers multiple boosted 4*s each week and rewards that are largely dictated by my dedication to grinding rather than my roster), and THEN spend about 3 months opening LTs with a single target 4* set as the only favorite.  And at the end of all that they get a single 275 character.  Out of about 40 vaulted 4*s, with a vault that is growing all the time.  And this even though all 50-whatever 4*s cycle through the weekly and featured lists equally? 

It's just not a viable solution.  Dilution was a real and growing problem.  vaulting is a terrible solution in that in solves one small portion of the problem and makes the rest of the problem even worse than it was before.  And that's before we even consider the effect on the champion system that most players really like. 

It's wildly obvious that demi needs to increase the availability of vintage 4*s (and to a lesser extent vintage 3*s).  There are tons of ways for demi to do this.  Instead we have received bland, and logically flawed, statements about how they are tracking the problem but implementing the player-proposed solutions won't work and absolutely nothing else from demi.  It's pathetic the playerbase deserves better.
    You are framing all of this as some sort of flaw with vaulting as if it's not an inherent flaw in just having 50+ 4* characters in the game.  Stop trying to look at everything in a bubble, and consider the system as a whole.  In the time it takes you to get 13 covers for a vaulted character from BH you will have anywhere from 12 to 20 other non-vaulted 4*s champed.  If you can't compete with 12-20 champed 4*s then I just don't know what to tell you.  And you can do it in less than a year.

How long would it have taken you to get 12-20 champs before vaulting?  More than 4x longer.  

When you say "vaulting is a terrible solution in that in solves one small portion of the problem and makes the rest of the problem even worse than it was before" can you please elaborate on what the problem is, how it solves a portion of it, and how it makes the rest worse?
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,490 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Vhailorx said:
    You are a 5* player at the (almost) highest tier of play (keep working on those 550s!).  You have gotten 40 something Iceman covers in 5 months. 

GrimSkald is also a super-vet and he (or she) has gotten 36 4* bonus covers. 

I am modest 4* vet in maybe the top 15 or 20% of rosters.  I have gotten somewhere around 15-20 4* bonus covers (and still no 5* covers!).

So your solution, fight, is that a new player needs to build up a roster sufficient to compete at at least my level (which is far from the top of the mountain, but still offers multiple boosted 4*s each week and rewards that are largely dictated by my dedication to grinding rather than my roster), and THEN spend about 3 months opening LTs with a single target 4* set as the only favorite.  And at the end of all that they get a single 275 character.  Out of about 40 vaulted 4*s, with a vault that is growing all the time.  And this even though all 50-whatever 4*s cycle through the weekly and featured lists equally? 

It's just not a viable solution.  Dilution was a real and growing problem.  vaulting is a terrible solution in that in solves one small portion of the problem and makes the rest of the problem even worse than it was before.  And that's before we even consider the effect on the champion system that most players really like. 

It's wildly obvious that demi needs to increase the availability of vintage 4*s (and to a lesser extent vintage 3*s).  There are tons of ways for demi to do this.  Instead we have received bland, and logically flawed, statements about how they are tracking the problem but implementing the player-proposed solutions won't work and absolutely nothing else from demi.  It's pathetic the playerbase deserves better.

I wouldn't call myself a super-vet - I only have base-level (ish) 5*s.  I am a 5* tier player, though, and of course that makes a difference.

Here's the thing, any increase in availability of older characters is going to have a corresponding decrease in the players' ability to cover newer characters.  Unless they increase (significantly) the number of covers that drop in the game. Everyone would love that, sure, but that's not their vision for the game.  In fact they already have increased the number of covers that drop in the game - bonus heroes are an increase.  Sure, it's only a 5% increase, but that's certainly not 0.

• Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The issue I see with Vaulting is that there are more 5star characters in a Classic LT than 4star character.

THAT is the Vaulting issue they should fix.

For me. 
  • Fightmastermpq
    Options
    Warbringa said:
    My reaction to vaulting has somewhat lessened in vitriol as I do see how it helps new players (and veteran players) cover new characters.  On the other hand, it is a simple fix to offer veteran players (or new players if they choose) a vintage token option to fill out older characters.  The easiest fix would be to simply add a third 20 CP token called vintage legends that offers all other 4* not in current tokens.  What I would really like to see is legendary 25 CP tokens offer the current 12 new heroes, legend classic tokens offer the next 12 4* characters that just phased out and then the new token offers you the chance for all of the rest of the 4* out there.  You could also split 5* so that it helps reduce RNG somewhat in those draws.  For 3* characters, simply offer a vintage heroic or a current heroic.  

Another option would be to have an additional bonus heroes option where you could designate three characters from each tier that can be added to all of your appropriate token tier draws.  For example, if I wanted to work on my Peggy Carter (who is 3/3/2), I could designate her as one of my three 4* options which then means I have a chance to draw one of her covers with every event, heroic, or legendary token I open, along with the new 12 too of course.  It is an optional dilution that each player could choose to do or not do?
    Honestly, one of the toughest problems facing demi right now is the link between 4* progress and 5* progress being tied together in LTs without being tied together in any sort of meaningful way regarding their releases.  You have 3 latest legends that are released every 6 weeks and so they stay in tokens for 18 weeks.  Meanwhile you have the 12 newest 4s that are released on average every 3 weeks, but stay in tokens for 36 weeks.  And then you have a large pool of older 5s all in classic tokens, with no older 4s in any token.  The only effective way to progress in the 5* tier is to open legendary tokens, and you get 2 options - latest 3 or all the others.  This also happens to be the most effective way to continue to progress into the 4* tier, and thankfully the covers available in both tokens are currently the same, but changing them would create this very arbitrary link between the 4* and 5* tiers that really shouldn't exist.

One way to potentially decouple the two would be to have legendary tokens award either a 5* cover, or some type of new currency that can be used in a new store that sells various types of 4* cover packs.  Or just start providing ways for players to earn 5* covers more directly.
  • animaniactoo
    animaniactoo Posts: 486 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    GrimSkald said:
    broll said:
    How is making a seperate CP store for older 4*s and making the vintage heroes token/HP store a jump in 4* availablity or a huge coding project?  Those are the suggestions I see the most.  Sure there are some crazy ideas like let me chose 6 of the 12 that would be a ton of work but those are not the majority.

That's a pretty good idea, but they've been fairly reluctant to add options to existing stores - I'm not 100% sure why as it seems like a good solution to their 5* dilution problem as well.  Possibly they feel the more options on the internal screens, the more likely people are to mess them up and complain.

Interestingly enough, if, say a store existed where I could spend 20 CP to draw from the full (or non-recent) 4* pool and the "Classic" 5*s... I'd probably pass it up.  I'm interested to see where this train goes. We won't know the "full" impact until Iron Fist gets phased out - he was the first 4* introduced after the system.  Mine is currently 290.

20 cp, I agree, I wouldn't spend it. 10 to 15, I absolutely would. Particularly if I'm looking to work on 3 or 4 old characters.

Honestly, I think part of the issue (but I could be mistaken that this is happening) is that some vaulted characters have appeared as essential for Behemoth Burrito or the 4*PVE node. So if you don't have that character, or you don't have them *strong enough*, you might be at a larger than before disadvantage as a newer player.

Things I'm tossing around in my head as possible solutions:

1) "Retire" characters after they've been moved out of the packs after a period of time - 6 months to a year maybe? So that they're never buffed or essential. Players get to keep/use them, but with less advantage against newer models, etc.
    2) Separate cover store for vaulted characters as weekly buffs - thinking about this in play strategy... this should really act like a new release. It should happen before they're about to be buffed/essential, so that newer players have the chance to acquire/beef up in advance of need, rather than being behind and needing to acquire what many older players already have part way through their window of utility.
    3) Slowdown the new releases. Yes, we all like the new releases, but for anyone who is newer/a little more casual of a player, it's an avalanche of stuff they can never keep up with/come close to catching up. As a result, I think you'd have people give up early on the game rather than be moved to put in more effort/money.
  • NewMcG
    NewMcG Posts: 368 Mover and Shaker
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Vhailorx said:

So would it be better to go back to how it was before, and now 1 in 50 pulls is for a "good" older 4* (better than zero, right?), so you're only 650 theoretical pulls away from covering the desirable older 4s, should everything go your way? And instead of having new characters like R&G and Gamora almost covered, (like I do now after less than one month of being in LTs), I can once again hope to finish them off in more like 9 months to a year? Please don't sign me up for that program.

Or, set Iceman as a favorite, and it should take roughly 260 pulls to cover him under the same ideal, dream-like circumstances. And while doing so, you'll be finishing the better part of a dozen characters, as opposed to getting 4-5 covers a piece for 50 4*s, placing them squarely in the middle of uselessland.
  • Fightmastermpq
    Options
    GrimSkald said:

Here's the thing, any increase in availability of older characters is going to have a corresponding decrease in the players' ability to cover newer characters.  Unless they increase (significantly) the number of covers that drop in the game. Everyone would love that, sure, but that's not their vision for the game.  In fact they already have increased the number of covers that drop in the game - bonus heroes are an increase.  Sure, it's only a 5% increase, but that's certainly not 0.

This is the light bulb that I think has failed to click for a lot of people that are still harboring resentment over vaulting.  If you hold the total number of covers constant (they didn't, as you pointed out BH increased them, but assume flat for the purposes of this discussion), to increase the number of covers earned from one group will necessarily decrease the number of covers earned from the other group.  If you don't like that and you think that all covers should still be equally available......well that's exactly what the dilution problem was.  So you can't say that vaulting solved the dilution problem, but it created this other problem that now we don't have dilution anymore.
  • Reecoh
    Reecoh Posts: 210 Tile Toppler
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I'd like to see them release a series of tokens in a similar way to how Marvel releases it's movies - in Phases.

Each Phase token would have 3-4 5*s and 12 4*s, except the highest one which would grow as characters are moved out of the Latest until it had enough to split into a new token. The Phase 1 token would have the first few 5*s and the first dozen or so 4*s.

The Latest would still be the only one given out as a prize and have all of the cool new toys.

Assuming I have the count right, If they implemented this today using 52 4*s and 16 5*s it would look something like this:

Phase 1 - 12 4*s & 4 5*
    Phase 2 - 12 4*s & 4 5*
    Phase 3 - 16 4*s & 5 5*
    Latest L - 12 4*s & 3 5*

Phase 3 would continue to grow until it reached 24 4*s & 8 5*s, where it would be split and a Phase 4 token launched.

Maybe the numbers would need to fluctuate a bit to get things in a good pattern to go with the release schedule, but that doesn't seem like a major issue.

It seems to me this would address the ability to focus on older characters, still retain the same basic game mechanics, and move the issue of dilution into a temporary & fluctuating cycle. And the issue of the dilution in the highest phase token would be offset a bit by those being the most recent in Latest Legends & having more pulls when they are awarded as prize tokens.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Vhailorx said:
    Vhailorx said:
    Can we get a redname comment on the issue? 
    What exactly is the issue?
    C'mon fight, we all know you like the vaulting+bh change, but YOU know that lots of people disagree with your position.  Contribute something to the conversation or move along. . .

Contribute something... to the same discussion that's been rehashed twice a day since March?

Maybe he's trying to find out why(or even if) this thread has something new to contribute to?

Vhailorx said:
    That's just not true skald.  Token drop rates are a zero sum game, but only if the players can't choose which tokens to open
    ... Which has always been the case (speaking of the 4* drop rates within tokens). So what you're really saying is... His statement just isn't true, in scenarios that you can imagine. Well done.
  • Wumpushunter
    Wumpushunter Posts: 627 Critical Contributor
    Options
    All these people saying just champ the new people avoid the old. I will take  Peggy, iceman and teen jean vs your riri, sandman and star lord. The new characters stink compared to the ones they stole from new players. They can fix dilution by giving people CHOICE, not slamming a pay barrier over the best 4 stars.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    Hi Everyone. Many players seem to be focusing on the 4-Star element of "Vaulting," so before moving further, may I ask who out of this thread is currently transitioning into, or residing within, "4-Star Land?"

Since it seems to be the major focus point, it'd be great to hear feedback specifically from that demographic.
  • n25philly
    n25philly Posts: 426 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Brigby said:
    Hi Everyone. Many players seem to be focusing on the 4-Star element of "Vaulting," so before moving further, may I ask who out of this thread is currently transitioning into, or residing within, "4-Star Land?"

Since it seems to be the major focus point, it'd be great to hear feedback specifically from that demographic.
    No suprise here since I've wrote you directly.  I was just finished up the 3's when vaulting hit.  I had a decent number of 4*'s when it hit but nothing that well covered.  Vaulting killed my progress.  No resources to do anything with the latest 12 and I've been stuck hoarding ever since so I don't waste covers.  Not that I want to be stuck with 12 or less champs I'm stuck playing with when I can't play as older characters I like that I am not allowed to experience.  Vaulting has taken my favorite game and made it a miserable experience
  • Ruinate
    Ruinate Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    Options
    All these people saying just champ the new people avoid the old. I will take  Peggy, iceman and teen jean vs your riri, sandman and star lord. The new characters stink compared to the ones they stole from new players. They can fix dilution by giving people CHOICE, not slamming a pay barrier over the best 4 stars.

And I'll take Carol Medusa Groot over all of those.

Fair comparisons.  How do they even work?
  • Fightmastermpq
    Options
    I'll mop the floor with your Peggy/Iceman/Jean team with Medusa/Carol/Coulson, or Baby Groot/G4mora/Bl4de, or just about any other combo of those 6.
  • NewMcG
    NewMcG Posts: 368 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Brigby said:

In the 4* realm. Was slogging through covering 4s (via the method best known as "wishful thinking") pre-vaulting. I have now champed 9/12 current 12, with R&G and Gamora at 11 and 12 covers respectively, and the 3rd non-champ rotating out next season. Without vaulting, maybe a couple of those champs would be finished.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    You've heard of Carol and Medusa, I assume? And Invisible Woman, Venom, and Ghost Rider? There are characters all over the spectrum in both new releases and old. (star-lord isn't even a newly released 4*, and he's awesome, so I'm not sure what you're getting at here)

Brigby said:

I have all characters at least rostered, barring 5* Star-lord and Doc Ock, and the stoppable 1*s. I have 15 champed 4*s 4 "new" and 11 "vaulted", none above 276. I believe I champed my first 4* (Wolverine, I think) about a year ago; he's gained 6 levels since then. Meanwhile, the current "new" 12 for me are:

C 276 Venom (Agent Venom)
    C 275 Blade (Modern)
    C 272 Captain Marvel (Carol Danvers)
    C 270 Gwenpool (Gwen Poole)
    13 213 Agent Coulson (Agents of Shield)
    12 131 Medusa (Inhuman Queen)
    12 131 Mordo (Master of the Mystic Arts)
    11 131 Riri Williams (Ironheart)
    6 127 Iron Fist (Danny Rand)
    8 111 Gamora (Awesome Mix Volume 2)
    5 111 Cloak & Dagger (Classic)
    3 90 Rocket & Groot (Awesome Mix Volume 2)

I play PVE at SCL8, or SCL7 when there's no roster-based scaling ;) I generally get top 200, although I've changed time slices lately and I've been getting top 100 since then. My alliance is (I can only imagine) terribly casual, and we never do better than top 1000.
    I play most PVP events until 300-400, and I aim for (but don't always get) the heroic 10-pack and 4* cover simulator rewards for the season (more on this later)

All told I've probably missed out on ~2 hulkbuster or wolverine champion levels (and the same number of covers, on average, for everyone else) that I "would have" gotten under the old system HOWEVER if leveling Hulkbuster was my goal I could have easily set him as my only 4* bonus hero, of which I've received I'd guess around 10-15. 

Instead I've used them to get my 11th,12, and 13th cover for several of my "vaulted" 4*s, and I was able to do that on my terms, rather than simply championing whoever I got 13 covers of next (on average the oldest characters, as they've been in tokens for longest and are in the daily rewards 3 times rather than 1)

I've also been using the HTH store to buy that 13th cover for a 5/2/5 character who I don't want to gamble on; however the 3600 HP cost is pretty steep and I doubt I'll use it on anyone who isn't 5/1/5 or 5/2/5. The extra value for the extra cost is fine, but it's not the reason why I'm spending the HP so, on the whole, I'd say I'll use it less than I would if it was 2500 HP. Also, at 50 days (and rising) per rotation, it would take me a whole year to use that store to find covers for anyone not already close. (although the PVE progression reward cycle is hardly better).

As a direct result of the number of "new 12" covers I get from tokens and PVE, I really no longer have any interest in grinding the PVP simulator to 2000. This season is, what, Gamora? I already have 8, none of them from PVE placement or PVP. Just PVE progression and tokens.

So in general it's working pretty well for me. I'm happy spending some extra time to see how significant the cover income for "vaulted" 4*s will be from PVE events and token vaults (there's no hope for my 0/1/1 Kate Bishop without some extended bonus heroing, no doubt, but someone was always going to be my "least covered" 4*)

All that being said, I am concerned that, as time goes on and the "new 12" selection has rotated through a few times, that my 4* roster will begin to stagnate at whatever champion level I could manage before they were removed from tokens. I got Peggy Carter to 272 before she was "vaulted," and I suspect she'll be there for a long time unless I devote my bonus hero slot to her for practically forever (2300 legendary token pulls, statistically speaking). And I'm not doing that yet because I'm not convinced that having a single 370 4* champion will really do me any good when everyone else is 290 or below.

However, I can see that the time frame where that concern would really evolve into a real-life "now" problem is really quite a ways away, and I'm willing to let everything continue to shake out for the time being.

• KJB Agent
    KJB Agent Posts: 12 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Brigby said:

I would fall into this group.  Vaulting has impacted me in two ways:
    1. Several of the "classic" 4* characters which I want to level (and already had a tough enough time getting before vaulting), are now largely wasting away as they are not sufficiently leveled to be useful (for example X-23, Moon Knight, and Peggy).
    2. The number of 4* covers I am pulling in a color I already have maxed (while the other colors remain missing or at 1-2) has drastically increased.  I realize there is a certain amount of randomness, but the occurrences of this has been higher since vaulting.  My concern is that because of this some of these characters will fall into situation (1) above.

In an attempt to be helpful might I suggest the following:

• get rid of vaulting
    • make covers colorless with the following possible resrictions
    1. the first 9 covers much must be placed evenly (1-1-1, then 2-2-2, then 3-3-3) and then the last 4 can be placed how the player desires
    2. make this a VIP feature 
  • Wumpushunter
    Wumpushunter Posts: 627 Critical Contributor
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Brigby said:

@Brigby
    I am finishing up 3s and was just about to move into 4s when vaulting slammed a door on my progress. I have made no progress in 4s and decided to focus on 2/3 farm to get as many rewards as possible.  I repeat vaulting ended my ability to move out of 3 star because I don't give a tiny kitty about riri, sandman or Eddie Brock. Look at any 4 star guide and it is 1. Iceman (vaulted) 2. Peggy Carter (vaulted) and on and on. The best 4 stars are gated away. I feel like a second class mpq player because I didn't star playing a year ago.   I will never buy 1 cover for 3600 hp. Give me the same option people had  2 years ago.