Options

Comments

• animaniactoo
    animaniactoo Posts: 486 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    sh81 said:
    broll said:
    sh81 said:
    I did 8 last time, 7 this, result is the same.  Im way down the pack despite playing as optimally as I can (as I always try to do).

Ordinarily Im knocking on the door of T10 (SCL8), sometimes being successful.

Under test conditions Ive been no where near.

As Ive said, Ive no problem dropping levels to suit my roster, providing the rewards at that level are appropriate for that roster.

SCL scaling without a reward overhaul simply doesnt work for the majority of the player base (and Ill maintain, even the 5*s wont be getting rewards appropriate to their rosters either, they will just have an easier time scooping them up).

Frankly, a reward overhaul in and of itself is long over due with or without scaling.
    As a 4* transitioner do you think T10 is a reasonable goal in an SCL that's containing most of the 4* community?  

You shouldn't have been getting T10 in SCL8 before but the system favors those who have time on their hands (and specific time at that).  That's what should be addressed.  I can almost never hit T10 because my time doesn't work with any of the PvE time windows.  So because of this broken time system you were getting rewards in the T10 when your roster isn't at a point where it should get T10 playing againist 4* and 5* players.

The obvious fix to both of these is get rid of placement in PvE.  I'll continue to beat that dead horse till someone listens.
    I think what I "should" get is far more personal opinion than factual.  I know Ive always worked very hard to get what I have, and I resent being told I dont deserve that.

Fact is, I worked up to a point of knocking on the T10 door, and under test conditions am thrown way down the rankings.

In real terms, playing under test conditions puts me back to around a year ago.  Back then, before champing 4*s, I was hitting top 50 but it was always in the 30-40's.

As I champed more 4*s I went up the rankings.  A year later Im a 10-20 player, sometimes getting T10.

Its been slow and steady progress, which to my mind is perfectly reasonable.  SCL scaling pulls the rug from under me.

I do agree with you that the time dependency is ridiculous.  As is the time demand.  I really hate being forced to play for 90+ mintues at a certain time every day and would remove that demand in a heartbeat.

Im not sure I agree that placement rewards should be removed.  I like the competition, I think that edge adds something to the game.  However, I would be very happy for the majority of rewards to be in progression with placement rewards as a bonus.

I put this in another thread, but it seems fair to put it here to illustrate where Id like things to end up:

Assuming people leave the prologue getting into a 2* level, why not

SCL 1 = 2* level game.  Lots of 2* rewards.  Top players earning 3*.
    SCL 2 = 2-3* transition.  Still plenty of 2* rewards and more 3* to the top 50.
    SCL 3 = 3*.  3* Rewards readily offered.
    SCL 4 = 3*-4* transition. 4* covers to the top 20, 3* to top 100
    SCL 5 = 4*. 4* Covers to top 50.
    SCL 6 = 4-5* transition. 5* Covers to top 10, multi 4* top 20, 4* top 50.
    SCL 7 = 5* game
    SCL 8 = Room to manouvre.  Super 5* game for whales?  Potential for 6* rosters?

And at ALL levels a healthy amount of HP and ISO.  

This only works with rewards being appropriate to each level.  JUST SCL scaling really doesnt do anyone but 5* rosters any good.
    You missed the 1 star game... I think this is more around where it would round out.

SCL 1 = 1* level game.
      Lots of 1-2* rewards.  Top players earning 2*.
    SCL 2 = 1-2* transition.  Still plenty of 2* rewards and extra 2* to the top 50.
    SCL 3 = 2*.  2* Rewards readily offered.
    SCL 4 = 2*-3* transition. 3* covers to the top 20, 2* to top 100
    SCL 5 = 3*. 3* Covers to top 50.
    SCL 6 = 3-4* transition. 4* Covers to top 10, multi 3* top 20, 3* top 50.
    SCL 7 = 4* game. 4* Covers to top 50.
    SCL 8 = 4*-5* transition. 5* Covers to top 10, multi 4* top 20, 4* top 50
    SCL 9 = 5* game. 5* Covers to top 50.
    SCL 10 = Room to manouvre. Super 5* game for whales?  Potential for 6* rosters?

• granne
    granne Posts: 852 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Early 3*-4* transitioner here, and I was more than happy with the scaling for this. Maybe I'd feel differently if Blade hadn't been boosted, but either way, I just scraped T20 (19th, for the record) for the first time ever in a release event.

I played SCL7, and my clear times were about 25-50% quicker than usual. I think, if the scaling stays like this for future tests, I might try 8 just for the challenge (if the boosted list is kind to me), but otherwise I'm happy to take lesser rewards for far less effort.
  • Ducky
    Ducky Posts: 2,255 Community Moderator
    edited June 2017
    Options
    ***Off to Suggestions and Feedback since this is all feedback.***

I personally really enjoyed the scaling in the test events as well. I even finished first in my bracket for the first time in a long time!

***Edit - Re-moved to the Events subforum per Brigby to make it a bit easier to find and since the test is still ongoing.***
  • Skrofa
    Skrofa Posts: 388 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    When they first mentioned the scl based scaling there was also talk of it being combined with roster strength as well.

Which would be something like 
    Base enemy level 200.
    +
    Best 3 characters level 300.
    =
    Event scaling something in between.

If your best 3 characters are lower then your scaling will also be a bit lower.

When they had announced the series of tests this is what I was expecting to see.

For the first test, I thought, ok, they want to see how this will go, maybe they'll do the combo on the second test. Well, they didn't.

IMHO, something like this would be better because it would provide an equal challenge to all the rosters that would be eligible for the particular scl.

What we had at scl8 during these tests were opponent levels that hardly posed a challenge to the 5* rosters but were very challenging for 4* rosters (if they wanted to go for placement).

And this is the hardest level of the game at the moment!!!
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2017
    Options
    sh81 said:
    broll said:
    sh81 said:
    I did 8 last time, 7 this, result is the same.  Im way down the pack despite playing as optimally as I can (as I always try to do).

Ordinarily Im knocking on the door of T10 (SCL8), sometimes being successful.

Under test conditions Ive been no where near.

As Ive said, Ive no problem dropping levels to suit my roster, providing the rewards at that level are appropriate for that roster.

SCL scaling without a reward overhaul simply doesnt work for the majority of the player base (and Ill maintain, even the 5*s wont be getting rewards appropriate to their rosters either, they will just have an easier time scooping them up).

Frankly, a reward overhaul in and of itself is long over due with or without scaling.
    As a 4* transitioner do you think T10 is a reasonable goal in an SCL that's containing most of the 4* community?  

You shouldn't have been getting T10 in SCL8 before but the system favors those who have time on their hands (and specific time at that).  That's what should be addressed.  I can almost never hit T10 because my time doesn't work with any of the PvE time windows.  So because of this broken time system you were getting rewards in the T10 when your roster isn't at a point where it should get T10 playing againist 4* and 5* players.

The obvious fix to both of these is get rid of placement in PvE.  I'll continue to beat that dead horse till someone listens.
    I think what I "should" get is far more personal opinion than factual.  I know Ive always worked very hard to get what I have, and I resent being told I dont deserve that.

Fact is, I worked up to a point of knocking on the T10 door, and under test conditions am thrown way down the rankings.

In real terms, playing under test conditions puts me back to around a year ago.  Back then, before champing 4*s, I was hitting top 50 but it was always in the 30-40's.

As I champed more 4*s I went up the rankings.  A year later Im a 10-20 player, sometimes getting T10.

Its been slow and steady progress, which to my mind is perfectly reasonable.  SCL scaling pulls the rug from under me.

I do agree with you that the time dependency is ridiculous.  As is the time demand.  I really hate being forced to play for 90+ mintues at a certain time every day and would remove that demand in a heartbeat.

Im not sure I agree that placement rewards should be removed.  I like the competition, I think that edge adds something to the game.  However, I would be very happy for the majority of rewards to be in progression with placement rewards as a bonus.

I put this in another thread, but it seems fair to put it here to illustrate where Id like things to end up:

Assuming people leave the prologue getting into a 2* level, why not

SCL 1 = 2* level game.  Lots of 2* rewards.  Top players earning 3*.
    SCL 2 = 2-3* transition.  Still plenty of 2* rewards and more 3* to the top 50.
    SCL 3 = 3*.  3* Rewards readily offered.
    SCL 4 = 3*-4* transition. 4* covers to the top 20, 3* to top 100
    SCL 5 = 4*. 4* Covers to top 50.
    SCL 6 = 4-5* transition. 5* Covers to top 10, multi 4* top 20, 4* top 50.
    SCL 7 = 5* game
    SCL 8 = Room to manouvre.  Super 5* game for whales?  Potential for 6* rosters?

And at ALL levels a healthy amount of HP and ISO.  

This only works with rewards being appropriate to each level.  JUST SCL scaling really doesnt do anyone but 5* rosters any good.
    You missed the 1 star game... I think this is more around where it would round out.

SCL 1 = 1* level game.
      Lots of 1-2* rewards.  Top players earning 2*.
    SCL 2 = 1-2* transition.  Still plenty of 2* rewards and extra 2* to the top 50.
    SCL 3 = 2*.  2* Rewards readily offered.
    SCL 4 = 2*-3* transition. 3* covers to the top 20, 2* to top 100
    SCL 5 = 3*. 3* Covers to top 50.
    SCL 6 = 3-4* transition. 4* Covers to top 10, multi 3* top 20, 3* top 50.
    SCL 7 = 4* game. 4* Covers to top 50.
    SCL 8 = 4*-5* transition. 5* Covers to top 10, multi 4* top 20, 4* top 50
    SCL 9 = 5* game. 5* Covers to top 50.
    SCL 10 = Room to manouvre. Super 5* game for whales?  Potential for 6* rosters?

This is more realistic than the sh81 version and seems to represent what I've seen for SCL7 and SCL8 in the tests.

Edit cause the @ formating is terrible.  This forum is terrible compared to what we had :(
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,176 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2017
    Options
    westnyy2 said:
    I don't understand what is broken. You are no longer punished for having a strong roster. If your transitioning 4 star roster can't hang with a 5 star roster then drop a clearance level. As a 5 star player, I'm still being outplayed by bigger 5 star rosters and I'm okay with that.

On a side note, how easy was that Hood/Mags node in the last sub? Normally the 110k plus hit points they have frustrate me to no end. In this trial it was so much easier.This test may not be the perfect solution, but certainly has been the most fair thus far.

Lastly, while I have a 5 star roster, I only used 1 this last sub. Boosted 4's are no joke. It's taught me to learn the characters better.
    While, I agree that if you've developed a strong roster you shouldn't be punished for it, I highlighted the sentence above for a reason. 

I'm a (basically) Rank 86 player with 11 4* champs, and one fully covered and another decently covered 5* character (both completely unleveled). 

Much of my 4*progress has come from getting T10 or T5 in SCL 7 and 8; I even managed to get T1 in SCL 7 the last time Deadpool vs. MPQ ran. 

I know this is a release event, which is normally much more competitive. I know I'm in slice 4 of SCL 7, and utterly failed with my bracket snipe for this event, so I'm playing against some ultra competitive players. Right now, I'm at 28th overall.

In a non-release event, that would only net me some 3* covers. So if this scaling is implemented with no other changes, where should I go? SCL 6 has no 4* covers in progression, and precisely one 4* cover given to the top finisher. Also, isn't the minimum rank to enter that SCL in the upper teens/low 20s? (EDIT: I was wrong, SCL 6 requires a rank of 27 to enter; my overall point still stands, though.) Does that really seem appropriate for a Rank 86 player?

If they implement this style of scaling (don't get me wrong, I think they should) they HAVE to open SCL 9 and 10 with appropriate rewards to thin out 7 and 8.
  • broll
    edited June 2017
    Options
    sh81 said:
    Personally I prefer mine, in that there is still room to grow, but thats majoring in the minors.  I think the take away is that rewards need to be appropritate to each level.

Its no good saying "You should be in SCL5" without that level giving me the rewards to (eventually) grow into SCL6.
    How is their room to grow?  They'd have to rework the entire thing each time an SCL came out (which 9 and 10 are what nearly a year overdue now).  
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Starfury said:
    If I may add something:

Spare us the trivially easy nodes - this is like LR seeds every day, forever. Obviously, I don't mind the free resources. But those non-scaling nodes really don't add anything to the gameplay except "tap half a dozen times to join the match -> make one move -> wait for animations to end -> tap half a dozen times to collect rewards". Rinse and repeat, 18 times a day, 126 times a week.
    As it is, they're literally nothing but a mind-numbing waste of everyone's time.
    All of my yes are belong to this. Might as well give us a button that collects all the node rewards that becomes accessible as soon as we join the event. It's not like anyone is ever losing on them.

The only thing I can think of that they might be good for is allowing very new players to dip their toe in the water - I know the later nodes scale according to roster, but I think there's a minimum level somewhere. I can remember joining a PVE event way back when I joined and thinking "oh, well, that node's just too hard, not gonna do it." So the trivial nodes would let them at least snatch up the first few progression rewards and get something for placement.
  • Pants1000
    Pants1000 Posts: 484 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    It seems like the people that like it the most are 5* players.  

I like the concept, but for me there's too big of a gap between CL7 and CL8.  I normally play CL8 and my scaling tops out around 360.  I played CL7 for this test and it was too easy.  It actually got a little boring using level 380 champed/boosted 4's against level 200-240 goons.  

I know I could play CL8, but I'd have a harder time making top 100 and get less rewards for more effort.

I think this system can work, but the level increases need to be more gradual, and there needs to be more reward for playing a higher CL.
  • Nepenthe
    Nepenthe Posts: 283 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    DarthDeVo said:
    westnyy2 said:
    I don't understand what is broken. You are no longer punished for having a strong roster. If your transitioning 4 star roster can't hang with a 5 star roster then drop a clearance level. As a 5 star player, I'm still being outplayed by bigger 5 star rosters and I'm okay with that.

On a side note, how easy was that Hood/Mags node in the last sub? Normally the 110k plus hit points they have frustrate me to no end. In this trial it was so much easier.This test may not be the perfect solution, but certainly has been the most fair thus far.

Lastly, while I have a 5 star roster, I only used 1 this last sub. Boosted 4's are no joke. It's taught me to learn the characters better.
    While, I agree that if you've developed a strong roster you shouldn't be punished for it, I highlighted the sentence above for a reason. 

I'm a (basically) Rank 86 player with 11 4* champs, and one fully covered and another decently covered 5* character (both completely unleveled). 

Much of my 4*progress has come from getting T10 or T5 in SCL 7 and 8; I even managed to get T1 in SCL 7 the last time Deadpool vs. MPQ ran. 

I know this is a release event, which is normally much more competitive. I know I'm in slice 4 of SCL 7, and utterly failed with my bracket snipe for this event, so I'm playing against some ultra competitive players. Right now, I'm at 28th overall.

In a non-release event, that would only net me some 3* covers. So if this scaling is implemented with no other changes, where should I go? SCL 6 has no 4* covers in progression, and precisely one 4* cover given to the top finisher. Also, isn't the minimum rank to enter that SCL in the upper teens/low 20s? Does that really seem appropriate for a Rank 86 player?

If they implement this style of scaling (don't get me wrong, I think they should) they HAVE to open SCL 9 and 10 with appropriate rewards to thin out 7 and 8.
    @DarthDeVo  You failed your bracket snipe in a release event and are complaining that you're only ranked #28? Sounds like if you'd started a little later to snipe a new bracket you'd probably be top 10.  As to your question about dropping down to CL6: No, you should stay CL7, get the 4* cover and CP out of progression and not worry much if you're not hitting top 10 as often as before.

I did my 3-4* transition mostly before CL was even a thing, almost never getting a 4* from placement.  It was all about the progression rewards: the CP (and before that the LT) that was top progression.  Nobody should have to be counting on top 10 for transition, because that's only 1% of people in the event. If you can hit it that's some gravy, but it's not necessary to get top 10 to get into the 4* tier.

I totally agree that CL9 needs to come soon too. And the CL8 rewards should be buffed to make it more worth staying CL8 instead of dropping down.  But don't be surprised if neither of those changes happen until after this scaling change is made permanent. They seem to like doing just one change at a time.
  • zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Skrofa said:
    When they first mentioned the scl based scaling there was also talk of it being combined with roster strength as well.

Which would be something like 
    Base enemy level 200.
    +
    Best 3 characters level 300.
    =
    Event scaling something in between.

If your best 3 characters are lower then your scaling will also be a bit lower.

When they had announced the series of tests this is what I was expecting to see.

For the first test, I thought, ok, they want to see how this will go, maybe they'll do the combo on the second test. Well, they didn't.

IMHO, something like this would be better because it would provide an equal challenge to all the rosters that would be eligible for the particular scl.

What we had at scl8 during these tests were opponent levels that hardly posed a challenge to the 5* rosters but were very challenging for 4* rosters (if they wanted to go for placement).

And this is the hardest level of the game at the moment!!!
    This is what I was expecting too, and it should have worked if that was the way of things. Scale within a range of levels. You'd be able to watch yourself transition up as enemies scale with your roster, and then stop when you reach the SCL cap. "Huh, this seems easier. My enemies haven't gotten stronger for a while. Guess it's time to move up?"

This "fixed" level thing really breaks things horribly. It's not even just that everyone in the SCL is fighting the same level enemies no matter how strong they are, but that the level is randomly determined without actually projecting to the community what that random number is going to be. That could be quite a range from "appropriate for me to fight" to "what the heck just happened!?" from one event to the next. Things can be already hit or miss enough on whether you have boosted Champions without having to worry about RNG making drastic changes in the power of enemies.
    With 2 more SCLs to potentially (coming soon, lol) be added, SCL 8 should be players with Legendary Champs developing them up, but not actually touching the level 450 Epics yet. SCL 9 is where the early 450 Epics would be going, but much like PVP, level 300 something boosted Legendaries would be able to handle things. With Epics being "end game", the end game of SCL 10 would be a place for Epics from near 500 (475 or so?) to 550. Some place where even the top, level 370 Legendaries, might find themselves struggling to survive. This static SCL enemy level system just breaks any appropriate sense of transition with far too wide a range from one sudden jump to the next.
  • animaniactoo
    Options
    granne said:
    Early 3*-4* transitioner here, and I was more than happy with the scaling for this. Maybe I'd feel differently if Blade hadn't been boosted, but either way, I just scraped T20 (19th, for the record) for the first time ever in a release event.

I played SCL7, and my clear times were about 25-50% quicker than usual. I think, if the scaling stays like this for future tests, I might try 8 just for the challenge (if the boosted list is kind to me), but otherwise I'm happy to take lesser rewards for far less effort.
    For reference in my next post, this almost exactly parallels me (I came in @ 13, I suspect because while Medusa isn't champed, I've got her pretty strong). Except that I'm not taking lesser rewards - I've been a pretty consistent T50 SCL 8 player, but moving from T50 SCL 8 to T20 SCL 7 basically modifies my rewards, not really reducing them. I get them a little differently, and therefore it's more about the amount of time I have to play, and when I need a particular reward. Especially as I might have only managed T100 in SCL8, for more effort - but one less Sandman cover.
  • Starfury
    Starfury Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Jarvind said:
    Starfury said:
    If I may add something:

Spare us the trivially easy nodes - this is like LR seeds every day, forever. Obviously, I don't mind the free resources. But those non-scaling nodes really don't add anything to the gameplay except "tap half a dozen times to join the match -> make one move -> wait for animations to end -> tap half a dozen times to collect rewards". Rinse and repeat, 18 times a day, 126 times a week.
    As it is, they're literally nothing but a mind-numbing waste of everyone's time.
    All of my yes are belong to this. Might as well give us a button that collects all the node rewards that becomes accessible as soon as we join the event. It's not like anyone is ever losing on them.

The only thing I can think of that they might be good for is allowing very new players to dip their toe in the water - I know the later nodes scale according to roster, but I think there's a minimum level somewhere. I can remember joining a PVE event way back when I joined and thinking "oh, well, that node's just too hard, not gonna do it." So the trivial nodes would let them at least snatch up the first few progression rewards and get something for placement.
    In my memory, they served a purpuse back when getting a new 3* was still an exciting thing. Back then (no idea if that was back during launch or 2 years ago when I started a new account) there were nodes I simply didn't play because they were too hard.

But that was a long time ago, in a game countless patches away.
  • broll
    Options
    Starfury said:
    Jarvind said:
    Starfury said:
    If I may add something:

In my memory, they served a purpuse back when getting a new 3* was still an exciting thing. Back then (no idea if that was back during launch or 2 years ago when I started a new account) there were nodes I simply didn't play because they were too hard.

The trivial nodes definitely seem silly, but I'd rather that then they make them as hard or in the range of the other six and give us back the grind they are trying to take away.  If I had any faith that they'd redo the events to just have 6 nodes I'd say do that, but we all know that won't happen. They probably don't need to be as easy as they are, but I don't want to see them get very much harder, I think they should stay sub 100.
  • Fightmastermpq
    Fightmastermpq Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I think everyone would agree that the devs make mistakes, but what everyone seems to be struggling with is that the PvE/SCL/Clearnace Rank structure was a mistake that they made in your favor.  If the scaling in the test was too hard for you, you were getting rewards that you were never intended to get.  Don't think of these rewards as being taken away from you, think of them as being given to you undeservingly for the past......year? 2 years?  a long time.
  • animaniactoo
    Options
    Starfury said:
    Jarvind said:
    Starfury said:
    If I may add something:

At the moment they also serve as an additional 10 points towards the next shield rank for those who haven't reached 125 yet. 30/day isn't anything to sneeze at for me in my iso deficit status.
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I still managed a top 20 finish in scl 8 despite the higher scaling, but really wish they would introduce scl 9 when this finally goes permanent to put my scaling back to previous levels.

And by scaling I mean the increase in level difficulty for all Symantec warriors.
  • broll
    Options
    sh81 said:
    I think everyone would agree that the devs make mistakes, but what everyone seems to be struggling with is that the PvE/SCL/Clearnace Rank structure was a mistake that they made in your favor.  If the scaling in the test was too hard for you, you were getting rewards that you were never intended to get.  Don't think of these rewards as being taken away from you, think of them as being given to you underservingly for the past......year? 2 years?  a long time.

broll said:

The problem here is once somethings been given, it's hard to take it back.  That's why I was so mad when then made the original SCLs open to such low ranks.  I knew this battle would come eventually if they made the difficulty based on SCL.  

If those rewards unreasonably accelerated a players progress, Id agree.

Fact is, they dont.

Competing for top 10 in SCL 8, what do you think my haul is?

90% of the time its a few 3* covers and some HP.  Hardly ground breaking stuff.
    So you're saying your arguing about losing trivial rewards?  How does that help your argument?  If anything that tells me, you're right you shouldn't be so upset about losing them then.