4-hour recharge timers

Options

Comments

• shteev
    shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Hey, I wonder if so many people will stop playing now that even with a 4 hour timer the event will still last 6 days :D
  • Laeuftbeidir
    Laeuftbeidir Posts: 1,841 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    shteev said:
    Hey, I wonder if so many people will stop playing now that even with a 4 hour timer the event will still last 6 days :D
    I'll get my 2k points!
  • Szamsziel
    Szamsziel Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I don't mind 4h refresh as long as the nodes can contain more than 3 charges. Combination of small node and 4h charges is simply wrong
  • Lagartha
    Lagartha Posts: 186 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Please change it back to 8 hours. Or at least compromise on this and give us 6 hours. It's like the ONE bug we actually liked and you guys prioritized fixing that over the bugs that actually break the game?
  • toastie
    toastie Posts: 119 Tile Toppler
    Options
    4 hour refreshes is terrible, I am already struggling to keep up with events as is, and this just makes it feel like too much of a grind.

I get that some players like the grind, but QB was much better for that then main events.
  • Daddystyx
    Daddystyx Posts: 103 Tile Toppler
    Options
    The campaign to be able to play this game and have a life dispite time zones was the 8 hr charge.  The fact that you guys killed it and went back to the dreaded 4hr recharge means a horrible sleep cycle for all players in top coalitions.   TOZ games take to long as is but having that time sink increased two fold is even more horrible.  Why
    Not ask the community these things with the amazing new poll feature @Brigby ?

This event has so many points on the line each node that it will be critical to finish your nodes dispite the time of night.   If a node refreshes at 2am and your not there to finish it you can cost your coalition almost a hundred points.  This can mean a huge difference in placement within the coalition bracket.   All around it's a horrible dimonstration of not accepting feedback from this highly intelegent Mtg community and taking the easy route rather than adjusting the bosses hitpoints.  
    v/r

daddystyx
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Hi Everyone. I just spoke with the developers, and here is some more insight into the changes to Trial of Zeal. (FYI, all other events still have 8 hour recharges)
    There are several reasons why the recharge hours were changed to 4.
    • First and foremost, we want players to be able to play more of the event, and at 4 hours you have double the possible charges.
    • Losses are less impactful on personal progression (they are still at the same as when we were at 8 hours) so you have double the chance to hit all your personal progression goals, while not impacting the guild competition aspect.
    • It also gives you more attempts at the encounters, giving you more time and opportunities to tweak your decks and defeat the opponents.
    [Players] have a 12 hour window once they complete all their charges. They shouldn't need to wake up in the middle of the night (you can have 3 4-hour charges on the nodes) so at any time when they exhaust their recharges they can technically wait 12 hours for all their recharges to fill up again.
    (Another FYI, I emphasized the recharge concern by saying some players would need to wake up in the middle of the night to stay competitive, in case any of you are wondering why they mentioned that)

Update: In addition, the development team will be monitoring this event over the weekend, and will be sure to adjust things if necessary
  • kauppila
    kauppila Posts: 48 Just Dropped In
    Options
    @Brigby
    Changing from 4 hour to 8 hour timers and starting with nodes not full was done with a Purpose!!!
    Perhaps your developers forgot why.  It was done to allow players from all time zones to play in the events, and also to slow the pace of the game down.
    If you want to make the rewards more attainable, drop the top progression down further and reduce the HP of the big boss.  Don't make the game unplayable by doubling the number of games that we have to play to keep our coalition teammates happy.  Its hugely unfair to many of our members.

Also, it was VERY helpful to have the mid-week event be 1 day (22 hours) instead of 2 days.  It's hard to keep playing the same events at a high level over and over.  I would much rather play 1 day events than 2.

There is no compelling reason that I can see to have Emergency Ordinances or Fate is Rarely Fair be more than 1 day other than to fill time.
    Give us something else to do instead, or just let us play around with Story mode or the Trials, or Training Grounds.

In fact, I would rather see 2 Training Grounds a day than EO or FiRF for 2 days.

On a positive note, I do like the new RAtC and FS events, so thank you.
  • GrizzoMtGPQ
    GrizzoMtGPQ Posts: 776 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I don't like MORE chances. That stinks. It was kinda fun to miss out on hitting full progression, because it actually meant you had to do really good to get it all and to get the jewels. Give us something to strive for and a reason for excellence. All you did was turn this into a **** slog fest for even less reward. Boo!
  • mmraie
    mmraie Posts: 21 Just Dropped In
    Options
    the main issue with this is that the rich get "richer", wile those fledging to hit progression have the opportunity to get murdered by samut a bunch of times more in a weekend.

@brigby i also strongly dislike that the dev team think it's a common thing to wake up in the mornign and pick up the phone first thing to clear nodes. most of us are adults with obligations, and this scheme actively penalizes us. This reasonning is not rationnal.
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Brigby said:
    Hi Everyone. I just spoke with the developers, and here is some more insight into the changes to Trial of Zeal. (FYI, all other events still have 8 hour recharges)
    • First and foremost, we want players to be able to play more of the event, and at 4 hours you have double the possible charges.
    • Losses are less impactful on personal progression (they are still at the same as when we were at 8 hours) so you have double the chance to hit all your personal progression goals, while not impacting the guild competition aspect.
    • It also gives you more attempts at the encounters, giving you more time and opportunities to tweak your decks and defeat the opponents.
    [Players] have a 12 hour window once they complete all their charges. They shouldn't need to wake up in the middle of the night (you can have 3 4-hour charges on the nodes) so at any time when they exhaust their recharges they can technically wait 12 hours for all their recharges to fill up again.
    (Another FYI, I emphasized the recharge concern by saying some players would need to wake up in the middle of the night to stay competitive, in case any of you are wondering why they mentioned that)

Update: In addition, the development team will be monitoring this event over the weekend, and will be sure to adjust things if necessary
    Hey @Brigsby :)

Maybe I misunderstand how the boss HP gauge actually ticks down, but if everyone gets charges twice as often, doesn't that mean the boss health will deplete twice as fast? I would assume you also gave the boss more health to compensate for this so the event doesn't run till next Thursday, but then you run into the same complaint others were voicing the time before last when this ran that the grind to top progression was too much work for too little effort.

Also am I interpreting your statement correctly to understand that with a 12-hour wait timer that the nodes can hold 4 charges? If they still only hold three then you really only have 11 hours-ish to complete your nodes before they stop adding more charges and your event timer gets reset to the last time you finished playing a node. So if I go into it and there are already three banked plays, I won't be having an invisible timer ticking in the background waiting to give me a 4th until I clear out at least one match. This is kind of a time crunch for someone like myself on the West Coast of the United States where I will get a refresh at 10pm, one at 2am, one at 6am, and then another at 10am, meaning regardless of the schedule I keep, when I wake up in the morning, I'm very likely to have three refreshes already waiting for me and nothing ready to bank up a third, unless I either play a match as soon as I go to bed and sleep for exactly 8 hours, or play immediately when I wake up, but if someone goes out for the evening, gets home at 1 and then readies to go straight to bed, waking up at 9 or 10, because it's the weekend and people do that, then your refreshes are off.
  • Dologan
    Dologan Posts: 145 Tile Toppler
    edited June 2017
    Options
    This event is a coalition event, where one of the main goals is for coalitions to compete for the best spots. This means that for any coalition vying for the top ranks, "being able" to play equals having to play. A refresh of 4 hours for three sets of nodes, means now we have to play, on average, one match every 80 minutes, day or night, to stay on top of those nodes. These are NOT quick battle (RIP) matches that can be done in 2-3 minutes. Due to large HP pools or tricky objectives, many of those nodes can take over 10 minutes. This is, in rough numbers, some 10% of our weekend time, not just for the silly game, but just for this one single event. THIS IS TOO MUCH. WE DON'T WANT THIS. As much as we like the game, we have lives beyond this.

If the devs think this doesn't impact the "guild" competition aspect, THEY ARE WRONG. This disadvantages and alienates coalition members who can be excellent, but simply cannot afford to dedicate 10% of their time on a single event each bloody week that doesn't even provide a fraction of the rewards they used to. (What happened to the exclusive rare rewards this kind of events used to give? Not to mention the mythics, of course).

A 12 hour window of not needing to play! How so very reasonable and generous! And also completely missing the point about the middle of the night issue. In case they haven't noticed, these events can end AT ANY TIME of the day, and guaranteed in the middle of the night for some people. With 4-hour refreshes and people needing, on average 8 hours of sleep, this means that even if they clear their nodes before going to bed, they are likely to miss one at least full charge during the night. Depending of when this happens and the geographical composition of a coalition, being able to do this charge can definitely swing the rankings. Therefore, some people will always be under pressure to wake up in the middle of the night to clear nodes when the event is close to finishing. 

This change is terrible for coalition competition. 
    This burns out players and complicates coalition management even more, especially given the rubbish available options in game. 
  • Laeuftbeidir
    Laeuftbeidir Posts: 1,841 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    @brigby
    That's not how math works, like already mentioned, you'd need to double the hp of the boss to do so (please don't!). Losses still affect you as much as before. You don't have more to play.
    If the initial health actually is doubled, I might step away from this grind myself. The rewards are a joke, and the only thing that motivates me, is that progression is actually really hard to make.

If you want for any reason to have 4hr recharges, give the nodes at least the potential to hold 6 charges instead of four - some of our top five coalition - top players already announced to step out from this event.

A restructure of the progression in lower tiers (still max out at 750, but more rewards in the lower area - progressive) would address the problems in a fair manner, btw, without the need to spam us with nodes.

• Sarahschmara
    Sarahschmara Posts: 554 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I was really looking forward to sleeping in this weekend  :'( 
  • Thésée
    Thésée Posts: 238 Tile Toppler
    Options
    The increase of the time between nodes refresh was happily greeted by everyone when introduced

Having to play your games in a rush at a time you didn't chose is not a good gaming moment. At all

It was a good thing to increase the progression rewards ladder. A nice one to lower max at 750. But increasing the refresh rate just because some complained they didn't get the second booster is a wrong move 
  • losdamianos
    losdamianos Posts: 429 Mover and Shaker
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Brigby said:

This is a really big insult to the community and shows the sheer ignorance of forum users and players in general.
    12 hour window is a mythical maximum which will never happen. It just happens that my node recharges 10-15 minutes after I go to bed

Should I
    1) abuse my sleep cycle got o bed later because developers DEMAND constant logging back in to play this WONDERFUL eventg
    2) ignore it live my life, sleep 8 hours (no more otherwise I cap out) and AS SOON AS I wake up log back in and clear at least one charge each node (before I shower or eat not to loose any precious time)

Oh did I mention the anxiety created by this vicious 4 hour recharge system ? the fact that you need to schedule your life in advance so you dont miss recharge times???

Please let any developer know ( I know you are reading this anyway ) that this is a really bad decision and Im pretty sure whoever have CAME UP with this EVIL idea doesnt even play this game on regular basis

• Daddystyx
    Daddystyx Posts: 103 Tile Toppler
    Options
    @Brigby

I'lvl make a deal with the developers.  The people that made this decision wake up every 4 hours like a competitivecoalition and clear all nodes.  I bet they would change it back in an instant no questions asked.  We know they test all of there cards before releasing any broken product so why not apply the same principle here?   @brigby When you have a group of people u care about that depend on your points for their prizes, sleep becomes a secondary objective due to the need to have a high coalition score.  

Please talk to the Devs sir.  This move could alienate an already fragile relationship with this game and the player base. The entire reason most play this game now is coalition community. If you hurt this part of the game most will abandon it.

v/r

DaddyStyx

• Dropspot
    Dropspot Posts: 200 Tile Toppler
    Options
    This is another poor decision made by D3/H. Players are burning out due to too much events, increased length of old events, increased nodes in old events, and now they decided to make the weekend event, usually the time people have to rest in a week full of work, an intense grind with recharges every 4 hours.

I can't believe that every single decision you make is against the player base. Seems that you are trying really hard to make everyone mad about this game.

Please go back to 8 hours chrages, admit you made a mistake of making 3rd nod too dificult and tweak it a little so more players have the chance to make progression.
  • Beaver
    Beaver Posts: 4 Just Dropped In
    Options
    8 hour recharge was just about right. 4 hours is mad. People must work and sleep!!!
This discussion has been closed.