Upcoming New Feature: Booster Crafting (5/25/17)

Comments

• murtagon
    murtagon Posts: 51 Match Maker
    edited May 2017

Why would I want to convert dups into dups??

A crafting system that allows you to specify a card you want to craft is a much better solution.  The slot machine mechanics are ... very tiring.

I really hope this is not a dup for dups system.

Regarding the currency.  I don't mind a new currency.  However I recommend they provide a runes to new currency based on the same exchange rate as the card to rune rate so people who played the game as designed (ie converted to runes) are not punished.  The game makes those convert buttons so big with no are you sure prompt I know many people hording fat fingered it.  At the very least allow the rune to booster currency to be available for a period of time so people who did convert have an opportunity to get the booster currency.  Personally I think it would be good to keep a runes to booster currency since runes are a dead end game currency.  This would finally give us a rune sink.

• shteev
    shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    madwren said:
    It's a bit ridiculous that Kaladesh and Aether Revolt dupes will not be converted into Standard.

@Brigby It'd be great if the devs could reassure the cynical masses that "guaranteed new cards" does not mean "with the possibility of duplicates still".

I mean, I get guaranteed new cards right now. I just need to buy an outrageously large number of boosters in order to do so.

So, the simple question is:

Will the crafted booster packs contain cards you already own?

If no--they do not contain cards we own--then yay. That's really all anyone wants, I think: to stop getting duplicates.

If yes--they do contain cards we own--then this is much ado about nothing, and will go over as well as, say, duplicates in elite packs.
    I can't see them letting us open 5 card boosters with all new cards. How would you feel about opening a booster which contains at least one guaranteed new card that you currently do not own?
  • Corn_Noodles
    Corn_Noodles Posts: 477 Mover and Shaker
    I expect "booster" to be similar to the single card boosters they have offered in the past.
  • Infested
    Infested Posts: 98 Match Maker
    madwren said:
    It's a bit ridiculous that Kaladesh and Aether Revolt dupes will not be converted into Standard.

Second this. Is it used in standard (origin is kinda the exception here). I doubt that going forward they will have this restriction (e.g. next new block will let Amonkhet convert to standard).
  • PersonMan
    PersonMan Posts: 28 Just Dropped In
    murtagon said:

Why would I want to convert dups into dups??

A crafting system that allows you to specify a card you want to craft is a much better solution.  The slot machine mechanics are ... very tiring.

I really hope this is not a dup for dups system.

It all depends on the conversion rate.  

If Mythics and Masterworks convert on a 100% basis into another random Mythic or Masterwork, then there isn't a problem. You're getting a new card, AND you're getting the option of converting a pile of useless Commons, Uncommons, and Rares into Mythics and Masterworks.  

But if the conversion rate is bad, people will just feel even more frustrated.  

Conversely, if people can just craft the cards they want directly, most players will craft the same 20ish most powerful cards and use them repeatedly, making the game much more repetative and boring and difficult.  

• shteev
    edited May 2017
    PersonMan said:

OF COURSE the conversion rate will be bad. There's no way that this will be a system to allow mid to upper mid tier cash spenders to complete their collections. I'd even be quite surprised if it allowed $1000+ players to complete their collections.

Also, it's not going to be a system which allows players to get their hands on that one mythic that they've been wanting for ages, because if it allows us to get specific things, we'll all go for Hixus and TSN.
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,226 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2017
    shteev said:
    madwren said:

@Brigby It'd be great if the devs could reassure the cynical masses that "guaranteed new cards" does not mean "with the possibility of duplicates still".

I mean, I get guaranteed new cards right now. I just need to buy an outrageously large number of boosters in order to do so.

So, the simple question is:

Will the crafted booster packs contain cards you already own?

If no--they do not contain cards we own--then yay. That's really all anyone wants, I think: to stop getting duplicates.

If yes--they do contain cards we own--then this is much ado about nothing, and will go over as well as, say, duplicates in elite packs.
    I can't see them letting us open 5 card boosters with all new cards. How would you feel about opening a booster which contains at least one guaranteed new card that you currently do not own?

That would be acceptable.

However, I'm assuming that the booster pack would consist of a single card--like Elite packs. Not 5 cards. It would seem uncommonly generous for them to give us anything more than a single shot.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Hi Everyone. Unfortunately I can't guarantee that the plan to convert duplicates to tokens is 100% set in stone, however as of right now the chances are very high that we will be sticking with that plan.
  • Abenjes
    Abenjes Posts: 253 Mover and Shaker
    zaann85 said:
    NOT ACCEPTABLE! Existing cards all need to be converted to runes!  It is no way fair to people who have played since before you stole all of our duplicates!  This game is on a tight rope and here you go putting the nail in the coffin!  I should have thousands of duplicates laying around,  but instead I have nothing to show for my countless duplicates but runes.  To make this fair for everyone, you must convert everyones duplicates before this new system launches, or you'll have screwed your loyal players for the last time.

Nope,

many of us guessed there would have to be a crafting system on the way and the devs have been alluding to it for months

you chose to convert your dupes to runes, I chose to grind QB and events for additional runs so I didn't have to convert  and I have all PW and all lvld to 60 and I've never converted a single dupe. I still have runes to spare.

If the devs decide to mass convert all dupes to runes before the new system is introduced I'm okay with this. I'm still going to open packs and get dupes, I'm still going to be able to draft new boosters it'll just take a bit longer to see results.

I've also opened all my packs. the winners in this will potentially be the ones who are still hoarding packs but then they have sacrificed chances of opening new cards slim though that chance may be.

• Abenjes
    Abenjes Posts: 253 Mover and Shaker
    shteev said:
    PersonMan said:

OF COURSE the conversion rate will be bad. There's no way that this will be a system to allow mid to upper mid tier cash spenders to complete their collections. I'd even be quite surprised if it allowed $1000+ players to complete their collections.

Also, it's not going to be a system which allows players to get their hands on that one mythic that they've been wanting for ages, because if it allows us to get specific things, we'll all go for Hixus and TSN.

The conversion rate is going to be terrible.

The current conversion rate to runes is appalling.... what is it 2000 runes for a mythic.

I'm expecting something along the lines of 1 mythic equals 1 token, 10 rares = 1 token,100 uncs = a token, 1000 commons = a token.

it will be absolutely ****...................

and there's no way I'll be able to swap my 6 dupes of minds dilation for Olivia as much as I may want to

• Sequious
    Sequious Posts: 3 Just Dropped In
    you chose to convert your dupes to runes, I chose to grind QB and events for additional runs so I didn't have to convert  and I have all PW and all lvld to 60 and I've never converted a single dupe. I still have runes to spare.
    I disagree. Some of us accidentally hit the stupid button that has *no confirmation step*. All of my planeswalkers are level 60 too and I had absolutely no reason to convert 49 rares and 3 mythics a few days ago. But I did 100% by accident and I know I'm not the only one that this has happened to either.

The fair thing to do is to either:
    1) convert all saved dupes to runes and use runes as the "dupe currency" or
    2) allow some sort of a limited time "buy in" to convert Runes to "dupe currency".

In fact, since Runes are no longer "grindable" there is little to no reason not to just use them as the "dupe currency" anyway.

Just my thoughts!
  • DaddyO
    DaddyO Posts: 51 Match Maker
    This could be very good news. Buyer's remorse sucks. Why not just give purple for duplicate rares and mythics and then have unobtainableium trade for guaranteed new mythic and masterpiece cards. The super rich could buy a full set and the rest of us  can catch a more regular dopamine hit. Developers get money we get cards and less buyer's remorse - Win Win. 
  • losdamianos
    losdamianos Posts: 429 Mover and Shaker
    Sequious said:
    I disagree. Some of us accidentally hit the stupid button that has *no confirmation step*. All of my planeswalkers are level 60 too and I had absolutely no reason to convert 49 rares and 3 mythics a few days ago. But I did 100% by accident and I know I'm not the only one that this has happened to either.

Some of us choose to be careful on cards screen some of us dont.
  • PersonMan
    PersonMan Posts: 28 Just Dropped In
    Brigby said:
    Hi Everyone. Unfortunately I can't guarantee that the plan to convert duplicates to tokens is 100% set in stone, however as of right now the chances are very high that we will be sticking with that plan.

@Brigby

The annoucement makes it sound like a done deal that everything is getting converted to Tokens. You may wish to update it to say "the developers are currently considering X..." or something similar.  A lot of people who do read the FAQ that pops up in their inbox notification but who don't read to the third page of a forum discussion are going to be very angry if they get a giant pile of mostly useless Runes instead, especially if they just made the mistake of opening up a bunch of horded booster packs after reading your announcement.  
  • Laeuftbeidir
    Laeuftbeidir Posts: 1,841 Chairperson of the Boards
    I, for my part, don't see any problem. It's communication (yeah!), it's clear enough, and most important it's is early enough to actually listen to player feedback.

Opening boosters or not is an investment decision. Same for converting runes. Take your chances or don't.
    I also like the concept, it's what I wanted since I pulled the very first dupe.
  • MisterPete
    MisterPete Posts: 18 Just Dropped In
    edited May 2017
    nexus13 said:
    zaann85 said:
    NOT ACCEPTABLE! Existing cards all need to be converted to runes!  It is no way fair to people who have played since before you stole all of our duplicates!  This game is on a tight rope and here you go putting the nail in the coffin!  I should have thousands of duplicates laying around,  but instead I have nothing to show for my countless duplicates but runes.  To make this fair for everyone, you must convert everyones duplicates before this new system launches, or you'll have screwed your loyal players for the last time.
    No one ever has ever had to convert their dups.  It's always been your choice.  Nobody was pleased with the dup for runes system when it was implemented and they said maybe some time in the future it would be revised but that was what we had for now.  I for one decided to take the chance and wait.  I've paid the opportunity cost of not having those runes available for leveling planeswalkers.  From my perspective it would be unacceptable to force me to convert to runes now with no compensation for waiting the current system out.  There was a choice, I chose to wait. Your proposition screws me and it's likely I've been playing this game longer than you.
    Well put nexus13.  I think it's worth reiterating that converting all existing duplicates to runes is simply not 'fair to everyone'.  And on top of that there is already a compromise here.  We can't use hoarded duplicates to craft standard cards.  Any cards crafted from old hoarded dups will not see the light of day in PvP.

I'd very much prefer that I could use my existing duplicates to make cards that are more current and pertinent and usable in current pvp events.  What they are offering is really the minimum they can do for existing duplicates.
  • shteev
    It's worth pointing out that it's possible that some people who converted their duplicates did it by accident due to the poorly designed user interface.

Of course, that said, I can't agree that it would have been right to punish people who held onto their duplicates simply because others fell foul of a poor UI. If anyone did convert by accident, I urge them to contact customer services.