**** Gamora (Awesome Mix Volume 2) ****

Options

Comments

• OzarkBoatswain
    OzarkBoatswain Posts: 691 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Interesting article. So basically what I said; if there are no Purple tiles on the board then the logical statement doesn't apply at all, and nothing happens. If there are Purple tiles on the board, then the logical statement can be applied.

Certainly they could have been more specific in the description to avoid this particular ambiguity, although even the shortest additional text is fairly clunky (in English):

"At the start of the turn, if there are Purple tiles on the board and all of them are friendly special tiles..."
    I agree that the phrase is ambiguous in the English language. 

With formal systems, I was taught the set theory version. Here's how the wikipedia page puts it:

"All A is B" (AaB) is equivalent to "s(A) is a subset of s(B)", or s(A) ⊆ s(B)

In the game's phrase, s(A) is purple tiles and s(B) is special tiles. s(A) would be the empty set when there are no purples on the board. The empty set is a subset of every set, so the statement would be true.
  • pabasa130
    pabasa130 Posts: 208 Tile Toppler
    Options
    G4mora not counting purple trap tiles as special tiles needs to be discussed. In her release article, it clearly said that she pairs well with Ant-Man. Not counting Antman's trap tile negates this pairing. 

On the other hand, counting purple trap tiles makes G4mora a ridiculously overpowered pairing with Doctor Doom, where given enough time Doom can make all available purple tiles into purple trap tiles. 

Can @Brigby get a confirmation on whether Gamora's black not working with purple trap tiles intentional? Basically goes against the article, but the interviews always had a problem with accuracy anyway. 

Thanks. 
  • Neuromancer
    Neuromancer Posts: 203 Tile Toppler
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Okay, I do have to admit that it's fun to play her with 3* Spidey and 2* Bullseye. I only have the one black cover on her, and she's cleaning house. This probably means she's going to get nerfed as predicted earlier. Haven't had this much fun in pve for awhile though.
  • DeNappa
    DeNappa Posts: 1,369 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Does it really trigger that easily? I figured there are a lot of goon purple countdown placers, and Bullseye is also a frequent opponent in nodes, so that would make it harder to trigger it. Also, because it has to apply in the start of the turn that also means that no new purples are dropped in your AND your opponent's turn.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,916 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I want to know where she ranks without her "trick".  I feel like on defense it is way too easy to counter, so am wondering where she rates without it.  In fact, I think it is time we get an updated character ranking.  Love to wee where Cloak and Dagger, Coulson, the new Guardians, and of Course Wasp/Carol/Blade fall.
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,490 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    My impression of her is she has some pretty solid powers with good synergies with a number of characters (stunners, other Guardians of the Galaxy, special tile enhancers.)  Her "instant kill" is probably going to be more of a nice surprise when it goes off instead of something you can get off regularly, but there are definitely ways you can get the chance of it up...
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I want to know where she ranks without her "trick".  I feel like on defense it is way too easy to counter, so am wondering where she rates without it.
    While I think that's true on the whole, I think there will be a notable number of matches where playing around the instant kill will still have a major impact on the effectiveness of your game.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    edited May 2017
    Options
    @pabasa130

Good question! I'll reach out to the developers to find out what her ability considers is a friendly special tile.

Update: Trap tiles are not considered special tiles. The only tiles considered "Special Tiles" are Attack, Strike, Protect, Countdown, and Invisibility. 

You can find a full list of tile descriptions HERE

• zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Brigby said:
    @pabasa130

Good question! I'll reach out to the developers to find out what her ability considers is a friendly special tile.

Update: Trap tiles are not considered special tiles. The only tiles considered "Special Tiles" are Attack, Strike, Protect, Countdown, and Invisibility. 

You can find a full list of tile descriptions HERE

That's fair. Traps act different from any of the other special tiles, since they can easily be overwritten, even by other traps randomly landing on them. It's more like they're just basic tiles with a little something extra. Additionally, a Dr. Doom pairing won't just be a "do nothing and eventually the enemy will just fall over" strategy. And Ant Man would have been straight unfair with Pym Particles out. New attacks would have shown up at the beginning of the turn, then just activated the death passive. It may be what players were hoping for, but it probably would have been unhealthy for game fairness.
  • Rick_OShay
    Rick_OShay Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    Options
    She still pairs just fine with Ant-Man. Everyone always complains how his trap tile gets matched away so easily, so here, you actually Want it to be matched after a couple of rounds. Then, play G4mora's black, followed by her blue to stun, which insta-adds another special tile. There's very likely no more open purple on the board at this point. Hope no purple drops in (like you will always have to do), and poof goes a full health enemy. 
    You'll want a green user that makes sense with these two. 2* Bullseye is great here of course, but if you need a higher tier ally, I would suggest someone who's power doesn't disrupt the board much. As in, 4* Teen Jean's excellent green, plus her blue passive can stun enemies for match-5's against you, in which case Gamora will create a purple special. There's many other greenies that work well here too (Ironheart, MK, IW, Doc Ock, ...).
    Can't wait to get more covers in her.
  • Tiger_Wong
    Tiger_Wong Posts: 1,018 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    If you have a multiple stun attack, Gamora will make special tiles for each opponent stunned. 

Ex. I fire Peggy's blue. She stuns two characters. Gamora puts two special tiles on the field.

this is why I'm running.....

3* Fist
    Gamora
    Peggy

• GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    If you have a multiple stun attack, Gamora will make special tiles for each opponent stunned. 

Ex. I fire Peggy's blue. She stuns two characters. Gamora puts two special tiles on the field.

3* Fist
    Gamora
    Peggy

But peggy creates blue countdown tiles, which are special tiles for whatever reason in this case. 
  • Daredevil217
    Options
    A good team could be Gamora, Pym and a third that could overwrite selected tiles (specifically Pyms purple trap when it is the last unoccupied purple on the board.

What are some ways to overwrite the Pym trap?  it appears friendly tile spam won't overwrite friendly traps.  I know 3* Cap can do it, and I think 4clops could with his targeted tile destruction (sadly my Cyclops is not usable).  Anyone else in 4* land?
    I want to know where she ranks without her "trick".  I feel like on defense it is way too easy to counter, so am wondering where she rates without it.
    While I think that's true on the whole, I think there will be a notable number of matches where playing around the instant kill will still have a major impact on the effectiveness of your game.
    Eh... basically anyone the enemy is bringing to spam purple friendlies (Bullseye, Spidey, Pym, etc.), you really just need to bring one of those people yourself (like your own Gamora), not to mention all the people who can either flood purple (Switch) or put their own tiles on random colors (including purple) ala Medusa, the Web-tile peeps, Professor, Moon Knight, Jean, etc.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I had a pretty reasonable time with Gamora, Ant-Man, and 4* Carol. 

Ant-Man can remove his own purple if you spend another 9 Purple AP ;) Sure, you have to then add a friendly special tile to it, although Gamora can manage that by stunning someone. Carol is nice because (if she's strongest) she'll generate Black AP for Gamora, and the Plan C (wink) of Ant-Man and Carol boosting all your special tiles until they die is pretty decent.
  • Jesus Jones
    Jesus Jones Posts: 182 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I used Green Goblins purple to select the purple tiles as a count down and combined that with Gamora's black to use up the rest of the purple and it worked like a champ!
  • Jesus Jones
    Jesus Jones Posts: 182 Tile Toppler
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Trap tiles do not count as friendly tiles...  I tried her with Dr. Doom and it was a no go.
  • Rick_OShay
    Rick_OShay Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Trap tiles do not count as friendly tiles...  I tried her with Dr. Doom and it was a no go.
    Yep, as expected, that would be just too nuts.
    Definitely enjoyed having a 0/1/1 G4mora insta-down a 17K health Ragnarok today. 
    As others have stated, I think it's best to plan for this only during the final enemy (where stun matters most), while playing normally against the first two. Otherwise you may spend your whole match just trying to set this up, and be much less efficient overall. 
    So far, I'm finding 4* Star-Lord to be the most help. Reduced AP cost for her stun, his purple overwrites tiles into his CD's. Also had fun with 2* Bullseye, including a surprise death drop I wasn't even working toward yet.
  • Daredevil217
    Options
    Yep, as expected, that would be just too nuts.
    Definitely enjoyed having a 0/1/1 G4mora insta-down a 17K health Ragnarok today. 
    As others have stated, I think it's best to plan for this only during the final enemy (where stun matters most), while playing normally against the first two. Otherwise you may spend your whole match just trying to set this up, and be much less efficient overall. 
    So far, I'm finding 4* Star-Lord to be the most help. Reduced AP cost for her stun, his purple overwrites tiles into his CD's. Also had fun with 2* Bullseye, including a surprise death drop I wasn't even working toward yet.
    How do you spec SL when you run him with her?
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,837 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I used Green Goblins purple to select the purple tiles as a count down and combined that with Gamora's black to use up the rest of the purple and it worked like a champ!

Nice one! I'll try Gamora with GG and SG.. fill purple tiles, stun, end turn... Kill, kill, kill
  • Tiger_Wong
    Tiger_Wong Posts: 1,018 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    GurlBYE said:

3* Fist
    Gamora
    Peggy

But peggy creates blue countdown tiles, which are special tiles for whatever reason in this case. 
    Uh.... I'm not using Peggy for her to make special tiles. I'm using her to stun two characters, which makes Gamora turn two purple tiles in special tiles.