Vintage Heroic Packs (3/30/17)

Options

Comments

• Wjohnson992
    Wjohnson992 Posts: 175 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Bought the daily deal and got ARES!

Thats a relief since he totally cannot be pulled in any other token at all. If they had left this token to the chars who were actually vaulted it'd be at least 2x better recieved. Another 2* token to the game is worthless.
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    You should know by now that they dont want you earning characters you actually need.

I will not be buying from that store. I point blank refuse to use HP to buy characters that were freely available in other packs, that I could earn through progression, and they removed them just so they can rob even more money from us.
  • Frustrated1
    Frustrated1 Posts: 68 Match Maker
    Options
    Either a lot of thought went into this or no thought at all went into this, and either explanation is pathetic.
  • sinburn
    sinburn Posts: 43 Just Dropped In
    Options
    You all really don't care about your customer base. I swore off purchasing anything from you last year due to your high amount of constant bugs and each month you keep making it one of the smartest gaming decisions I have ever made.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,927 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Dauthi wrote:
    Khanwulf wrote:
    Because I'm nice, and Brigby's been handed a dumpster fire on Friday so by Sunday people will be tracing his IP and showing up with pitchforks, I'll provide a draft developer response letter:

Hello everyone!

We became aware immediately on release of the Bonus Heroes feature that the decision to "vault" older 4 star.png heroes was problematic to large sections of the player community, effectively hampering collection rates for players invested in heroes no longer included in tokens.

It's extremely important for them to realize this is not just a problem for players trying to collect older characters. It is a problem for veterans too who have them championed. I can't use my CP anymore because I don't have enough ISO to champ all these new characters. I used to get resources by randomly drawing old characters. Now that that's gone, they have effectively stopped me from having fun in MPQ by not allowing me to open tokens, one of the few great pleasures of this game.

I am forced to save ISO and CP until, I dont know, I have 2 million ISO? Even then I will probably have waste. With all due respect, this sucks. I wish they could at least change it back to how it was until they figure out how to fix this train wreck.

Thank you for sharing (this feels like a Support Group, lol).

I am by no means HP poor. Had about 2500 (not rich either).

Thought about buying the vault for War Machine as mine is 4/4/4. Meh... any cover I get in the future will max him and I don't have he Iso to champ him with so many other characters soon to need attention.

Saw the Vintage heroic store and laughed as I'm not even going to do the 100 hp daily.

Ended up spending HP on a third OBW roster spot instead.

I have Ant-Man (level 209), X23 (250), Deadpool (250), Captain Marvel (70), and the aforementioned War Machine (70) all a cover away from champ status. I also have Peggy (my main priority) 2 covers away (level 209). Also 3* Hawkguy (level 111).

That is a lot of Iso I want to invest (especially in older toons!) as soon as I get the covers. Problem is my newer toons are quickly approaching champable as well and I do not have the Iso funds to match my current needs let alone any new ones that reach 13 covers.

So at this point it is making more sense to hoard Iso and use CP to buy covers directly. It sucks because I like opening tokens and I would prefer the 6 random covers to the one exact, but when the covers become trash because I don't have the funds to do anything with them, there's really not another choice. As a free to play, I feel like they are pricing me out of the game.
  • beyonderbub
    beyonderbub Posts: 661 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Bought a daily special pull for 100hp: 3* Thor for a champ level.
  • Steellatch
    Steellatch Posts: 84 Match Maker
    Options
    Here we have it. To compare once again. We used to spend 20CP (Which were SPECIFICALLY introduced for 4* covers). We had a 64% chance of getting one of the characters now classified as "vintage". Vintage Heroic Pack, spending HP, with a 7% of a 4*. 25% of a 3* and the rest a 2*. Utter stupidity. This is not a solution to dilution. This is a clear pay wall for older heroes. The clear and obvious solution that would have taken minimal effort to implement would be 12 newest heroes limited to "Latest Heroes" and the rest could be found in "Classic Heroes" EXACTLY how the 5* situation is. The concept is already in place, we already have learned it and use it daily. WHY NOT APPLY IT TO THE 4*s?

64% pull rate is now a 7%. We are spending money on 2*s once again.
  • Nepenthe
    Nepenthe Posts: 283 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Vintage heroic tokens do little to solve the problem that's primarily being felt at the 4* level. We need an option for vintage classic legendary tokens. I want to be able to spend my CP to pull tokens from the full pool of characters, so I have a greater chance of getting champ levels and champ rewards from that wide roster I've put all this effort into championing! That was what was so great about the championing system - once you had a lot of champions it turned "wasted" draws into bonus resources through champ rewards. Now when I pull a legendary token the odds are more likely I'll get a cover for someone I don't have champed yet and don't have the iso to level yet. Much less fun, so I'm stuck hoarding and feeling stalled out.

The thing that is truly baffling to me here is the resistance to having the option to pull from either type of token. If both were available, everyone would be happy! If you don't like the dilution of pulling from the full hero pool, you can pull the new legendary tokens with only 12 4*s. If you don't like the limited pool and want older heroes, you can pull from the vintage legendary tokens and have it be just like the old way. It's a win-win because it gives us the choice! How is this not the obvious solution???
  • NewMcG
    NewMcG Posts: 368 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Nepenthe wrote:
    Vintage heroic tokens do little to solve the problem that's primarily being felt at the 4* level. We need an option for vintage classic legendary tokens. I want to be able to spend my CP to pull tokens from the full pool of characters, so I have a greater chance of getting champ levels and champ rewards from that wide roster I've put all this effort into championing! That was what was so great about the championing system - once you had a lot of champions it turned "wasted" draws into bonus resources through champ rewards. Now when I pull a legendary token the odds are more likely I'll get a cover for someone I don't have champed yet and don't have the iso to level yet. Much less fun, so I'm stuck hoarding and feeling stalled out.

The thing that is truly baffling to me here is the resistance to having the option to pull from either type of token. If both were available, everyone would be happy! If you don't like the dilution of pulling from the full hero pool, you can pull the new legendary tokens with only 12 4*s. If you don't like the limited pool and want older heroes, you can pull from the vintage legendary tokens and have it be just like the old way. It's a win-win because it gives us the choice! How is this not the obvious solution???
    And what if you want older 5*, but new 4*? What then?
  • Agent XLII
    Agent XLII Posts: 8 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Woot, woot!!! Another, nother, nother, nother, way for me to grow my 2* farm. Excitement levels off tha chart...
  • CNash
    CNash Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    Options
    When did the odds on 2* covers disappear from the token odds page? And wasn't it previously represented by percentages?
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    New McG wrote:
    Nepenthe wrote:

And what if you want older 5*, but new 4*? What then?

You set the old 5 you want as a bonus and draw from the latest legends, because it's already been established that it takes THOUSANDS of CP to even get a handful of classic 5's even semi leveled, and that unless you are champing all 12 new 4's you will over cover all of them in route to 1 singular 5 star.

Do you not play the game?
  • NewMcG
    Options
    GurlBYE wrote:
    You set the old 5 you want as a bonus and draw from the latest legends, because it's already been established that it takes THOUSANDS of CP to even get a handful of classic 5's even semi leveled, and that unless you are champing all 12 new 4's you will over cover all of them in route to 1 singular 5 star.

So then I'm sure "set them as a bonus hero, duh" would also be acceptable as the answer to "how am I supposed to get the vaulted 4*s I want?"
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    New McG wrote:
    GurlBYE wrote:

So then I'm sure "set them as a bonus hero, duh" would also be acceptable as the answer to "how am I supposed to get the vaulted 4*s I want?"

Wow it's almost like players like the idea of bonus heros but don't like the idea of character vaulting, because bonus hero's aren't consistent enough to be the only method of obtaining them.

And 5's aren't vaulted, they have two tokens.
    They are in a separate token that is in an earnable or purchasable currency

I fail to see your logic we've already explained bonus draws aren't enough for them to be the only way to be obtained, this new token isn't targeted at the 4 star level.

So you are attempting to compare 5's which have TWO tokens dividing their pools, with 2 star levels in token. (If for whatever reason you want OLD 5's and NEW 4's you have to use two separate tokens. Bonus heros allows you if you for some reason need targeted access to an old 5. 5's are also required for NO content in game, making your argument even less related to the nitty gritty here of new players no reasonable having access to required 3 and 4 characters for nodes)
    Are comparable to old 4's which can only be obtained from this new token, for this week of testing, that would have to have its rewards tied into other heroic tokens if it were implemented permanently.

And there are already mountains of posts here complaining about the 5 star system being something that can't be sustained by stuffing everything old into one token.

I feel like I keep having to summarize ideas for you.
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    New McG wrote:
    GurlBYE wrote:

That would be great, if you actually got 4* bonus heroes. I'm still yet to get a single one!
  • NewMcG
    Options
    GurlBYE wrote:
    New McG wrote:
    GurlBYE wrote:

Wow it's almost like players like the idea of bonus heros but don't like the idea of character vaulting, because bonus hero's aren't consistent enough to be the only method of obtaining them.

And 5's aren't vaulted, they have two tokens.
    They are in a separate token that is in an earnable or purchasable currency

I fail to see your logic we've already explained bonus draws aren't enough for them to be the only way to be obtained, this new token isn't targeted at the 4 star level.

So you are attempting to compare 5's which have TWO tokens dividing their pools, with 2 star levels in token. (If for whatever reason you want OLD 5's and NEW 4's you have to use two separate tokens. Bonus heros allows you if you for some reason need targeted access to an old 5. 5's are also required for NO content in game, making your argument even less related to the nitty gritty here of new players no reasonable having access to required 3 and 4 characters for nodes)
    Are comparable to old 4's which can only be obtained from this new token, for this week of testing, that would have to have its rewards tied into other heroic tokens if it were implemented permanently.

And there are already mountains of posts here complaining about the 5 star system being something that can't be sustained by stuffing everything old into one token.

I feel like I keep having to summarize ideas for you.
    I feel like you're trying to be outraged on behalf of the new players, and not yourself when you talk about the lack of required characters for future events. If you have them all, then what's the problem? Fortunately, the PVE events are competitive, and that's an instant advantage over X% of the population who may not!

All the long-timers talk about "how am I supposed to get my 4* to high champ levels when you take them out of legendaries". Well, realistically, that wasn't happening anyway. I have about a dozen champed 4*. Even if I had everyone champed, and pulled legendaries from the old pool of 50+ 4s, that's 5,000 legendary pulls to get everyone maxed out at 370. I play quite a bit, and probably average around 1 legendary a day, whether it's the every 5 day DDQ token or tallying 20 CP. At one a day, that would be roughly 13 years to finish them off. Maybe there's some top 10 finishes factored in, so a few odd levels here and there, so let's call it 10 years? (And this is barring any other characters ever being released again.) Given the reality of how slow any form of progress was with the diluted token pool, is this what the actual outcry is about? It isn't like the theoretical "vintage legendary" pool of 4* would be getting any less diluted on a monthly basis.
  • astrp3
    astrp3 Posts: 367 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    New McG wrote:
    I feel like you're trying to be outraged on behalf of the new players...Given the reality of how slow any form of progress was with the diluted token pool, is this what the actual outcry is about? It isn't like the theoretical "vintage legendary" pool of 4* would be getting any less diluted on a monthly basis.

I don't know if GurlBYE was speaking for new player, since I think that limiting the stores to the latest 12 actually helps them more than it helps any other group of players. Adding a new legends store with older 4*s wouldn't hurt them, but I'm not sure it would help much either.

After the change, I was initially quite concerned about how I was going to get my old 4*s covered up. I still am concerned, but to be honest, I have to agree with McG that it probably wasn't going to happen anyway - at least not for several months, or even years. I believe there are currently about 33 "vintage" 4*s and that number is increasing by more than one per month, so even with a vintage store, the pool would be diluted and getting more so.

Plus, if I had to choose between spending my CP on vintage 4*s or the latest 12, I'm not sure I'd choose the latter - unless the latest 12 were almost all bottom tier. I originally thought I'd alternate, but when push came to shove, I don't know if I could.
  • Wumpushunter
    Wumpushunter Posts: 627 Critical Contributor
    Options
    The truth finally comes clear, it was not dilution that was the issue but the devs weren't making enough cash off the game. The only reason you solve a problem you create with a micro transaction is a cash grab.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    You can always tell when a feature is a bad idea when the community turns on itself...
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    New McG wrote:
    I feel like you're trying to be outraged on behalf of the new players, and not yourself when you talk about the lack of required characters for future events. If you have them all, then what's the problem? Fortunately, the PVE events are competitive, and that's an instant advantage over X% of the population who may not!

All the long-timers talk about "how am I supposed to get my 4* to high champ levels when you take them out of legendaries". Well, realistically, that wasn't happening anyway. I have about a dozen champed 4*. Even if I had everyone champed, and pulled legendaries from the old pool of 50+ 4s, that's 5,000 legendary pulls to get everyone maxed out at 370. I play quite a bit, and probably average around 1 legendary a day, whether it's the every 5 day DDQ token or tallying 20 CP. At one a day, that would be roughly 13 years to finish them off. Maybe there's some top 10 finishes factored in, so a few odd levels here and there, so let's call it 10 years? (And this is barring any other characters ever being released again.) Given the reality of how slow any form of progress was with the diluted token pool, is this what the actual outcry is about? It isn't like the theoretical "vintage legendary" pool of 4* would be getting any less diluted on a monthly basis.

What's wrong with speculating about how this new vaulting mechanic may affect new players. Vaulting certainly irritated me the last time they tried it when I was still trying to build out my 3* roster. I don't see any reason to think it's a better deal now.

As for high level champs, getting everyone to 370 may have been unrealistic for most players. But getting everyone to 310 or 320 was a whole lot more feasible. And the champ rewards at those levels are pretty damn good. Also remember that roster progress in this game has always been a positive feedback loop. Having a stronger roster allows you to access better rewards and progress even faster. It takes a long time to build up a first 3* or first 4* character. And the pace of cover acquisition really picks up once you get a critical mass of characters covered/leveled for any given tier.