15678911»

Comments

• NewMcG
    NewMcG Posts: 368 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Vhailorx wrote:
    Astrp3:

No apology necessary.

I have no idea what McG's opinion of ayn rand might be. But i know that the argument he or she was making sounded very objectivist. So i attempted to illustrate the flaws in the argument with humor. As with most attempted humor, ymmv. I certainly cannot say that have never made a snarky or sarcastic post, but i do try to keep such things light hearted, rather than mean. Alas, tone doesn't always translate well in text.

With respect to new players getting essential characters, you seem to be forgetting about clearance levels. I dont think the 4* prog rewards show up until CL7. So new players can't easily get 4* essentials until they hit rank 32, right? How long does that take (seriously, i have no idea since i was a 4* player when CLs went live)? That means that new players have to rely on bonus heroes and lucky vault pulls to get vintage essential 4* covers for quite some time until they can even begin ti collect them via prog rewards. I dont think that is a very good development for the game.
    I laughed out loud hard enough to startle the blind dog I'm watching at the moment at the Ayn Rand thing, if that tells you anything. What I was referring to was the "oh, but what of the children?" vibe that politicians trot out on a constant basis, and how this theoretical new player argument reeks of it. We aren't talking about "giving a voice to the voiceless" of an oppressed class over a vital social issue. We're talking about a group made up entirely of people playing a match-3 game on their phones, tablets, or computers. (God help me, I almost didn't mention the Steam people. That was close.) That's why the hysteria involved is so over the top.

I've seen plenty of other giant flaps along these lines in other formats. World of Warcraft had a big uproar when they changed some core system in the game, and a VERY vocal portion of the player base had a hissy fit, Blizzard basically said "trust us, we know what we're doing" and it turns out, hey, they did. Magic the Gathering made some sweeping changes ages ago that also had huge uproar, but they ended up being better for the game in the long run, and wouldn't have stayed implemented if the most vocal group had gotten their way. These kinds of things evolve, and the most die-hard in the middle of it will be the most opposed, because they like what's there, and don't want something different, no matter how minimal. (I mean, some people found a way to complain when they basically locked out the prologue in the game. THE PROLOGUE!!! The thing people aspire to slog through to get to the ACTUAL GAME and never look back!)

There's no winning for D3/Demiurge with any change. They could offer players a free 4* of their choice at the completion of every event for every player, and the same people who right now are saying "what about the new guys" would be screaming "Oh, so now someone who's played for 4 months will have the same roster I've worked 2 and a half years for? What a waste of my time this has been!" People who has spent a lot of time and money on something have their idea of what a game should be, and when something doesn't fit within that view, they get mad. Then they accuse the developers of sinister plots to steal their money from them, etc.

There's an easy solution to this, or any other "fun" pursuit that gets anyone so emotional: Take a break. If the game has you this angry or annoyed, just take some time away from it. I did exactly that on two different occasions. They are the reason I'm at day 920ish and not "whatever 1-3 days after launch is at this point" on the resupply, and they're the only reason I can still play it now. I can tell you the exact reason I took my last break, which lasted for about 5-6 months: Civil War. When they announced that there were 4 characters launching in a 3 week span, it made me mad because it was such a ramping up of releases, so I told my alliance I was jumping out for a while, and just DID IT. I didn't yell on the forum, as therapeutic as it may have felt, because I knew it wasn't going to change anything. The game had become something beyond the "fun little distraction" that this kind of game should be, and after I figured that out, not playing for a while made all the sense in the world. I came back after a chunk of time, had a bunch of characters I was missing, (and still am quite behind on, seeing how poorly the Winter Soldier DDQ is going for me today.) but when I came back, it felt like a fun game again.

I realize it's hard to walk away from such a time and/or money investment, but the point is, if you take a short break, this will be here when you come back. You may play catch-up for a while, but if it isn't fun, then you're doing it wrong. It's a matching game, and nobody, including the devs, intends for playing this to be your whole life. Do what it takes to make it fun again, and maybe it's a week off, maybe a month, maybe half a year. (That's what it took me.) I think there's a lot of people whose overly emotional response to this maybe points toward needing something else to occupy their time, at least for a little while.
  • astrp3
    astrp3 Posts: 367 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Vhailorx wrote:
    With respect to new players getting essential characters, you seem to be forgetting about clearance levels. I dont think the 4* prog rewards show up until CL7. So new players can't easily get 4* essentials until they hit rank 32, right? How long does that take (seriously, i have no idea since i was a 4* player when CLs went live)? That means that new players have to rely on bonus heroes and lucky vault pulls to get vintage essential 4* covers for quite some time until they can even begin ti collect them via prog rewards. I dont think that is a very good development for the game.

My take on McG's comments was that he was saying we should let newbies speak for themselves, not let them fend for themselves (the latter does seem a bit objectivist - but I am no objectivist so I'm probably not being objective).

As for SCL, you are right. I did forget about that, but I'm not sure it's a huge deal either. I am at day 139 and SHIELD rank 61 so I probably got to 32 fairly quickly. Of course, I am far from a casual player, but I don't know how much casual players care about any of this anyway.

And, truth be told, giving me 4* covers before I reached rank 32 might have been like giving nuclear launch codes to a spider-monkey. I was so clueless back then (all of about 3 months ago) that I probably wouldn't have known what to do with them. Very early on, I got two Quake blue covers. I played her for a while and said "Man, this Quake character sucks. All she does is destroy 4 random tiles. I'm gonna sell her to free up a roster slot," which I proceeded to do. This was before I started reading the expert opinion, but I'm not sure that would have helped much either. I got an X-23 cover and thought "this looks like a really strong character." Then I read a guide someone posted that said she sucked (maybe she's been nerfed, but I didn't know of such things back then) and I got rid of her. A few months later and I still haven't gotten another X-23 cover, which I suppose serves me right.

At one point, I had the fool idea that I only needed to keep top-ten 4*s and top-twenty 3*s (after all, you can only play two of them in a PvP and three in PvE, right? plus, I'd rather spend my HP on those 100-HP daily Heroics.) and sold off my mid- and low-tier ones. Oh to have those covers back now.
  • Partyof5
    Partyof5 Posts: 62 Match Maker
    Options
    I'm on day 609. I would probably be considered a casual player, although I feel like I've put a lot of hours into this game. I have paid over $100 for this game to date. I have yet to champion any 4* or 5* character. Most of those are sitting between 1 and 4 covers. There a still a bunch of characters I don't have at all (roster is at 79).

I've had a problem with character dilution for a while now. This new setup looks like it won't help my situation at all. I'm beginning to feel like this company does not want my money because I'm too small of a fish. Sure I can still play the game, but I'm at the point where I've been using the same small group of characters for months. When I am forced to use one of the undeveloped characters it's not fun. The more characters they release, the less rewarding my progress becomes. This doesn't help that. What it does is have me playing less than I used to and vowing not to pay any more $$$ into this game until it becomes fun again.
  • Alsmir
    Alsmir Posts: 508 Critical Contributor
    Options
    The good news:
    I'm getting more Agent Venom and Spider Woman covers.

The bad:
    I don't ever plan on using them. My scalling will go bananas and I will still have to struggle with their bad designs or go back to using 3*.

The good:
    My 4* Cyclops got 3 extra bonus covers in last 3 days (2 from heroic 10-pack from PvP).

The bad:
    I have no idea whether I will get any new cover for him soon. Should I just save 240cp for the last 2 covers and not pull any LT for 2-3 weeks?
  • nickaraxnos
    nickaraxnos Posts: 46 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Jexman wrote:
    Have the developers ever responded with any completeness to our questions? We have a simple question: why not add a legendary token for 20CP that only gives vaulted 4 stars and "classic" 5 stars? Saying they're going to "study" this is worthless: we want to know why this isn't an option. Acting like politicians and saying blah blah blah instead of honestly explaining how this affects their long term plans (including how they're going to make money off of us) is disappointing, after 3+ years of playing

This. That's what's the most frustrating of all things.
    No need of debating if the vaulting is good or not, if we need to get angry in behalf of others.
    Both sides have their reasonable arguments.
    By why on earth someone doesn't answer that question.
    Easy fix, almost everyone is happy
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Jexman wrote:
    Have the developers ever responded with any completeness to our questions? We have a simple question: why not add a legendary token for 20CP that only gives vaulted 4 stars and "classic" 5 stars? Saying they're going to "study" this is worthless: we want to know why this isn't an option. Acting like politicians and saying blah blah blah instead of honestly explaining how this affects their long term plans (including how they're going to make money off of us) is disappointing, after 3+ years of playing

This. That's what's the most frustrating of all things.
    No need of debating if the vaulting is good or not, if we need to get angry in behalf of others.
    Both sides have their reasonable arguments.
    By why on earth someone doesn't answer that question.
    Easy fix, almost everyone is happy

A better fix would be offering the original versions of both LTs alongside the newer latest 12 versions of the tokens, that way people can choose whether they want dilution or faster progress on newer 4*s while still being able to get the 5*s of their choice, there is no need to exclude newer 4*s from any additional tokens as even if you would prefer to get older 4*s it is obviously still useful to get a chance of the newer ones too.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    New McG wrote:
    Vhailorx wrote:
    Astrp3:

No apology necessary.

I have no idea what McG's opinion of ayn rand might be. But i know that the argument he or she was making sounded very objectivist. So i attempted to illustrate the flaws in the argument with humor. As with most attempted humor, ymmv. I certainly cannot say that have never made a snarky or sarcastic post, but i do try to keep such things light hearted, rather than mean. Alas, tone doesn't always translate well in text.

I laughed out loud hard enough to startle the blind dog I'm watching at the moment at the Ayn Rand thing, if that tells you anything. What I was referring to was the "oh, but what of the children?" vibe that politicians trot out on a constant basis, and how this theoretical new player argument reeks of it. We aren't talking about "giving a voice to the voiceless" of an oppressed class over a vital social issue. We're talking about a group made up entirely of people playing a match-3 game on their phones, tablets, or computers. (God help me, I almost didn't mention the Steam people. That was close.) That's why the hysteria involved is so over the top.

I've seen plenty of other giant flaps along these lines in other formats. World of Warcraft had a big uproar when they changed some core system in the game, and a VERY vocal portion of the player base had a hissy fit, Blizzard basically said "trust us, we know what we're doing" and it turns out, hey, they did. Magic the Gathering made some sweeping changes ages ago that also had huge uproar, but they ended up being better for the game in the long run, and wouldn't have stayed implemented if the most vocal group had gotten their way. These kinds of things evolve, and the most die-hard in the middle of it will be the most opposed, because they like what's there, and don't want something different, no matter how minimal. (I mean, some people found a way to complain when they basically locked out the prologue in the game. THE PROLOGUE!!! The thing people aspire to slog through to get to the ACTUAL GAME and never look back!)

There's no winning for D3/Demiurge with any change. They could offer players a free 4* of their choice at the completion of every event for every player, and the same people who right now are saying "what about the new guys" would be screaming "Oh, so now someone who's played for 4 months will have the same roster I've worked 2 and a half years for? What a waste of my time this has been!" People who has spent a lot of time and money on something have their idea of what a game should be, and when something doesn't fit within that view, they get mad. Then they accuse the developers of sinister plots to steal their money from them, etc.

There's an easy solution to this, or any other "fun" pursuit that gets anyone so emotional: Take a break. If the game has you this angry or annoyed, just take some time away from it. I did exactly that on two different occasions. They are the reason I'm at day 920ish and not "whatever 1-3 days after launch is at this point" on the resupply, and they're the only reason I can still play it now. I can tell you the exact reason I took my last break, which lasted for about 5-6 months: Civil War. When they announced that there were 4 characters launching in a 3 week span, it made me mad because it was such a ramping up of releases, so I told my alliance I was jumping out for a while, and just DID IT. I didn't yell on the forum, as therapeutic as it may have felt, because I knew it wasn't going to change anything. The game had become something beyond the "fun little distraction" that this kind of game should be, and after I figured that out, not playing for a while made all the sense in the world. I came back after a chunk of time, had a bunch of characters I was missing, (and still am quite behind on, seeing how poorly the Winter Soldier DDQ is going for me today.) but when I came back, it felt like a fun game again.

I realize it's hard to walk away from such a time and/or money investment, but the point is, if you take a short break, this will be here when you come back. You may play catch-up for a while, but if it isn't fun, then you're doing it wrong. It's a matching game, and nobody, including the devs, intends for playing this to be your whole life. Do what it takes to make it fun again, and maybe it's a week off, maybe a month, maybe half a year. (That's what it took me.) I think there's a lot of people whose overly emotional response to this maybe points toward needing something else to occupy their time, at least for a little while

Possibly the most sensible piece of advice I've read on these forums. As a psychologist and behavioural therapist I can't agree with this advice as a method of acute stress management more.
  • kyo28
    kyo28 Posts: 161 Tile Toppler
    Options
    astrp3 wrote:
    I can't speak for McG or anyone else, but a large part of the reason I sometimes rush to the "defense" of D3 is the sheer volume/frequency of complaints (the phrase "you'd complain if they hanged you with a new rope" seems tailor made for us), the tendency to go category-12 ape-poo about every change (OK, I'm exaggerating here myself - it's really only category 10), and posts filled with exaggerated claims that go far beyond the evidence ("virtually the entire player base sees through the blatant cash grab and has expressed their displeasure", "basic logic makes it clear that the developers are lying", etc.), condescension and insults, contradictory claims ("the devs are clueless dolts who don't know what they're doing/the devs are Machiavellian liars and cash-grabbers who know exactly what they're doing"), chicken-little pronouncements, and sarcasm. Yes, there have been calm and reasoned arguments as well, but they seem far too rare to me (though maybe that's just confirmation bias).

I don't think the devs need you to defend them, because:
    1. they don't even participate in the forums
    2. even if they did, they wouldn't hear our complaints over the sound of the money they're carting off to the bank

On a more serious note, really, a lot of us gamers who are unhappy with vaulting tried to reason, tried to write well-thought-out arguments and even tried our best to come up with possible solutions. What the devs in return did was:
    "we're thinking about it"
    "we're considering these 3 options"
    "here are the vintage heroes, not really fixing the problem but a good try for us to earn more money"
    "we'll be monitoring the situation (read: if this doesn't earn us enough money, we'll try something else)"

That's basically what's going on here. We're not idiots, we can read between the lines. I work in the corporate world and know all too well how these decisions are made. And it's that slap after slap in the face that makes players post such vitriol and cynical posts. Because we all know what's going on and the disrespect that is being shown to causal players.

The bottom line is that I'm slowly losing interest in the game. This is not a thinly veiled threat or exageration. Just where I'm standing now:
    I used to be a very active PS4 gamer. Then I found MPQ and played both but over the past year, thanks to cool additions like champ rewards and such, started spending more time on MPQ than on my PS4. Basically MPQ moved from a simple "pass time game" to one of my main games ... and thus I spent more money on it. But with recent changes, I feel my interest is shifting back to my PS4 and away from MPQ. For the first time in long, I've preordered a PS4 game again and since this week, I no longer try to maximize MPQ game time but instead MPQ is the 'time filler' it started out to be and needs to take a backseat to my PS4-gaming.

And that, to me, is telling. It's a sign that shows that MPQ is moving in the wrong direction, at least for a gamer like me. Others may feel different but that's how I feel. The devs can do with that what they want and perhaps these changes bring in more cash than before, thus meaning they can afford to lose me as an active player. So be it then, our relationship will then go back from being white-hot to ice cold.

No cynicism, no hate, just stating where my preference is shifting to. D3's loss will be Sony & co's gain. That the way the world works. Maybe over time my love for MPQ will blossom again, but it won't be right now and certainly not with the latest changes.

Kinda matches with what OneLastGambit wrote: I'm moving away from the game because it's not a lot of fun for me anymore. Maybe that's healthy that I move over to other games and enjoy those to the fullest.
  • Magic
    Magic Posts: 1,199 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    kyo28 wrote:
    The bottom line is that I'm slowly losing interest in the game. This is not a thinly veiled threat or exageration. Just where I'm standing now:
    I used to be a very active PS4 gamer. Then I found MPQ and played both but over the past year, thanks to cool additions like champ rewards and such, started spending more time on MPQ than on my PS4. Basically MPQ moved from a simple "pass time game" to one of my main games ... and thus I spent more money on it. But with recent changes, I feel my interest is shifting back to my PS4 and away from MPQ. For the first time in long, I've preordered a PS4 game again and since this week, I no longer try to maximize MPQ game time but instead MPQ is the 'time filler' it started out to be and needs to take a backseat to my PS4-gaming.

And that, to me, is telling. It's a sign that shows that MPQ is moving in the wrong direction, at least for a gamer like me. Others may feel different but that's how I feel. The devs can do with that what they want and perhaps these changes bring in more cash than before, thus meaning they can afford to lose me as an active player. So be it then, our relationship will then go back from being white-hot to ice cold.

No cynicism, no hate, just stating where my preference is shifting to. D3's loss will be Sony & co's gain. That the way the world works. Maybe over time my love for MPQ will blossom again, but it won't be right now and certainly not with the latest changes.

Kinda matches with what OneLastGambit wrote: I'm moving away from the game because it's not a lot of fun for me anymore. Maybe that's healthy that I move over to other games and enjoy those to the fullest.

I am in the same boat. I still play a lot but I am now returning to my console games, watching more movies and tv shows. The game took control of my free time. Kudos to the developers for creating such a game. But the direction it is taking is helping me to limit something that I regard as an addiction. I am less and less hooked. Why? Because the changes in the game are not working for me. It's not easier in the PvP regardless of how much I play as I am matched with equals to me or the points are in low 20-30 (sure - fair design but that means developing my roster is not helping). Same in the PvE with the scaling - the more you develop, the more difficult the matches are and the more difficult it is to keep playing. Again - I am being punished for development and time investment. Most of the recent changes do nothing to alleviate this pain (the only one that comes to my mind is the recent update to DDQ that gives now more rewards for the same workload).
  • Partyof5
    Partyof5 Posts: 62 Match Maker
    Options
    In the past 24 hours I managed to earn one of these legendary tokens. I pulled a 2* Wolverine. icon_evil.gif Reading through the thread it sounds like this vault is only available during limited times. If I'm understanding this correctly, that means most of the time my chances at getting covers for the 30+ older 4* and 5* characters is greatly reduced because they have been pulled out of the legendary and classic tokens. I was already having problems progressing and you just made it worse.

Most of the posters here seem to be past casual players. As a casual player this new system tells me you don't want my $20 every so often. You'd rather I pay into this game like I'm renting an apartment or just go away entirely. Maybe those of us who are getting a bad deal on this should all walk away for a week. See how things go for the game when 50% of the players just disappear.

I was concerned yesterday. Today I'm just mad.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    These things are GREAT! Got 3 from Divine Champions, 2x star.pngstar.png and 1 star.pngstar.pngstar.png ! Huge step nowhere
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    2 more vintage heroics from PVP end, 2 more :star::star:

SO GREAT!
  • Alsmir
    Alsmir Posts: 508 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Somehow, I feel that this quick and temporary introduction of vintage store is only supposed to measure how much extra money people will spend.

After hitting 650points in PvP all I got was 2 lousy tokens. Top 25 placement in SL7 gave me 3 elites. A whole 2 tokens in pone event. 1x 2* and 1x 3*. Absolutely worthless.

So what is thie feature going to test. How many 2* we can pull with these few tokens or how many suckers will spend hp?

• killerkoala
    killerkoala Posts: 1,185 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    they are checking the metric of how dumb peeps will be to buy 2* vintage tokens to gamble on getting higher stars.