Token Pull Exploit (3/27/17) *Updated (4/12/17)

Options

Comments

• Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Daiches said:

The fact that our community manager and thus representative of our community has to ask them if anything is being done right now, means that they haven't given him any other info in 2 weeks plus for an issue that became too large to ignore anymore after weeks of reports. AND that he hasn't been asking for updates out of his own accord. Both point to this issue being ignored.

and yes, he is now reaching out, but people have been asking after days, a week, two weeks of no updates or action.
    In D3's defense (I am not an employee of dadada you know the drill), between the forum migration and continued improvements to it (check out usable text contrast and normally-sized quoted text, yay) and the OML revisions there have been a lot of highest priority items for their community management and support teams to deal with in the last couple of weeks.

I do agree that an update would be nice, but it's also possible they may not be at liberty to tell us what's happening to cheaters, and whether such actions are complete.
  • LifeofAgony
    LifeofAgony Posts: 690 Critical Contributor
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Brigby said:
    Daiches said:
    JVReal said:
    Daiches said:
    Brigby said:
    Daiches said:
    @Brigby Can you comment what is being done? Because this radio silence and inaction is almost, almost as disturbing as the OML nerf.
    That's a great question. I'll be sure to ping them for an update from them tomorrow once they're in the office
    Wow, that's even more worrying. You guys totally forgot about this issue? Cheaters can go free? Is there no integrity then? Is any purchase you make a bad idea since you could just as easily get it for free without repercussions?
    Did you read a different answer than I did?  Because his answer said nothing of that sort... Since he is obviously not part of that group dealing with the exploit, Brigby is reaching out to get information you asked for.
    The fact that our community manager and thus representative of our community has to ask them if anything is being done right now, means that they haven't given him any other info in 2 weeks plus for an issue that became too large to ignore anymore after weeks of reports. AND that he hasn't been asking for updates out of his own accord. Both point to this issue being ignored.

and yes, he is now reaching out, but people have been asking after days, a week, two weeks of no updates or action.
    There has been an ongoing conversation behind the scenes that I just haven't relayed to the community due to sensitive information being enclosed in those exchanges. Rest assured that this was definitely not a topic we have been ignoring.

In fact, there is already an anticipated fix for this in the upcoming R125 patch that should close this exploit.
    So they plan on fixing the exploit, but still no word as to actually doing anything to the people who have blatantly utilized it.

So, go cheat your hearts content until patch 125?  
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    So they plan on fixing the exploit, but still no word as to actually doing anything to the people who have blatantly utilized it.

I would highly recommend not utilizing this exploit, because as the initial post states, we do have the capability of tracking who is taking advantage of it, as well as the right to take harsh action on those who do so.
  • WRIGHT3OUS
    WRIGHT3OUS Posts: 60 Match Maker
    Options
    Yeah but if it happens 900x a week you're probably cheating.  
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,837 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Bowgentle said:
    Brigby said:

I would highly recommend not utilizing this exploit, because as the initial post states, we do have the capability of tracking who is taking advantage of it, as well as the right to take harsh action on those who do so.

Of course you have the right to take those actions, what we'd like to know is, did you DO anything to punish cheaters yet?
    They will let it go this time but if it happens again then they will take action. I heard those players that exploited token pulls are on Double Secret Probation!
  • ejm04
    ejm04 Posts: 47 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Why do so many keep assuming that just because no one has made an announcement of punishments, that there have been none and will be none? I get that announcing "We have rolled accounts back to their status the day before the first detected use of this exploit" would go a long way in preventing future cheating, but whether they punished cheaters or not doesn't mean they need to announce it. You want that information, you don't need it. If those who cheated got punished, they'll probably not cheat again. If you weren't doing this, you're probably not going to be using the next exploit. If we get told or not doesn't change what happened, and an announcement won't likely change the behavior of anyone.

All of that being said: I'd like to see cheaters' accounts used as the seeding matchups for pvp, and make sure everyone gets at least 3 seed teams to face
  • alphabeta
    alphabeta Posts: 469 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    ejm04 said:
    Why do so many keep assuming that just because no one has made an announcement of punishments, that there have been none and will be none? I get that announcing "We have rolled accounts back to their status the day before the first detected use of this exploit" would go a long way in preventing future cheating, but whether they punished cheaters or not doesn't mean they need to announce it. You want that information, you don't need it. If those who cheated got punished, they'll probably not cheat again. If you weren't doing this, you're probably not going to be using the next exploit. If we get told or not doesn't change what happened, and an announcement won't likely change the behavior of anyone.

All of that being said: I'd like to see cheaters' accounts used as the seeding matchups for pvp, and make sure everyone gets at least 3 seed teams to face

Best I can say is people aren't assuming
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Exploiters have lost the ability to LOL others' posts on the forums :)
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Hmm... seems like while we are waiting for action or a response as promised from Brigby, a legitimate player has gotten boxed for the second time, and again right before the weekend. He will again have to send in his many receipts.

Priorities!

EDIT: he got unbanned already. A week faster than last time. So that's good at least.
  • liminal_lad
    liminal_lad Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Is BH short for bonus heroes? Thanks!
  • Fightmastermpq
    Fightmastermpq Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Is BH short for bonus heroes? Thanks!
    Yes
  • keitterman
    keitterman Posts: 127 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Daiches said:
    Hmm... seems like while we are waiting for action or a response as promised from Brigby, a legitimate player has gotten boxed for the second time, and again right before the weekend. He will again have to send in his many receipts.

Priorities!

EDIT: he got unbanned already. A week faster than last time. So that's good at least.
    They are also enforcing the forum rules fairly diligently, so maybe put the forum mods on enforcing the actual game's rules and get some results?
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Brigby said:
    Hi Everyone,

We are aware of an exploit that allows players to take advantage of a mobile device's built-in feature to manipulate token pulls.

We are able to detect accounts that have utilized this exploit, and are deliberating what action to take to correct the matter.

It's been almost 4 weeks.

Are you still 'deliberating' or have any actions been taken?

It's nice that you're implementing a fix (that will have taken 6 weeks to implement), but what has been done about the people who were/are using the exploit?

• The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    They.  Don't.  Care.  They basically had customers embezzle "money" from the company and didn't do anything to stop it. These players are still active and nothing has been done, cause we have seen some of there rosters grow for no reason. Maybe they want us to forget. It would be nice to hear that the sandboxed X number of players and rolled back X number of players. At least this topic is still pinned...for now. 
  • sza
    sza Posts: 15 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Almost a month and no update. Let's all exploit the exploit to progress our rosters - I mean I still see 'certain' rosters that clearly used this exploit continuing to grow there champ levels even after this annoucement. Oh well...
  • Ayasugi-san
    Ayasugi-san Posts: 116 Tile Toppler
    Options
    sza said:
    Almost a month and no update. Let's all exploit the exploit to progress our rosters - I mean I still see 'certain' rosters that clearly used this exploit continuing to grow there champ levels even after this annoucement. Oh well...
    Sorry, but you can only get away with it if you spend thousands of dollars, I bet.
This discussion has been closed.