*** Magneto (Classic) ***

Options

Comments

• Should Magneto's red be tweaked? It destroys team ups but offers no AP. From what I have seen - each one gets grouped together for a single hit for strike purposes. How about changing it so each is a separate act (ala Sentry)?
  • MarcusGraves
    MarcusGraves Posts: 495 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    hatesuite wrote:
    Should Magneto's red be tweaked? It destroys team ups but offers no AP. From what I have seen - each one gets grouped together for a single hit for strike purposes. How about changing it so each is a separate act (ala Sentry)?

haha, no you just cause another problem like sentry bombing. pair with patch, drop 148 x 6 strike tiles for a 888 boost + the 261 from red giving you 1149 per TU tile and having at least 9 TU tiles on the board would do 10341 damage which would slaughter like 90% of the 3 star roster in one shot or just murder a weakened character and carry over to the next guy like speed shot would.

the red is fine as is, the damage on it is solid and the cascades it can cause can be downright brutal.
  • I'm very torn on respecting. My CMags is currently 5/5/3. I have the covers to go 3/5/5 (or 4/5/4). I have been doing well enough with 5/5/3. The blue seems to do enough damage (and really, it's not often that I have 7R/B on the board to maximize the 5Blue damage), but I never really seem to use the Yellow which makes me consider going 5Blue...

In case it make a difference, I usually pair with 5/5/3 X-Force and 5/5/3 DP or maybe 5/5/3 L'Daken...
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm very torn on respecting. My CMags is currently 5/5/3. I have the covers to go 3/5/5 (or 4/5/4). I have been doing well enough with 5/5/3. The blue seems to do enough damage (and really, it's not often that I have 7R/B on the board to maximize the 5Blue damage), but I never really seem to use the Yellow which makes me consider going 5Blue...

In case it make a difference, I usually pair with 5/5/3 X-Force and 5/5/3 DP or maybe 5/5/3 L'Daken...

The damage per blue tile increases significantly as well. I don't know about you, but whenever I play XF / CMags, I get such a stupid amount of cascades that I normally get off multiple magnetized projectiles all at once. Like you said, you're never excited casting yellow, but blue is always good, and damage is pretty much everything in this game. The only time yellow is useful is during very high end PvP matches, but for the 90% of the time you use C. Mags otherwise, 3/5/5 is a no brainer.
  • I'm very torn on respecting. My CMags is currently 5/5/3. I have the covers to go 3/5/5 (or 4/5/4). I have been doing well enough with 5/5/3. The blue seems to do enough damage (and really, it's not often that I have 7R/B on the board to maximize the 5Blue damage), but I never really seem to use the Yellow which makes me consider going 5Blue...

The damage per blue tile increases significantly as well. I don't know about you, but whenever I play XF / CMags, I get such a stupid amount of cascades that I normally get off multiple magnetized projectiles all at once. Like you said, you're never excited casting yellow, but blue is always good, and damage is pretty much everything in this game. The only time yellow is useful is during very high end PvP matches, but for the 90% of the time you use C. Mags otherwise, 3/5/5 is a no brainer.

Thanks. I was looking over my roster and there are so few Blue actives (vs Yellow) that I use I may as well make this one count.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm very torn on respecting. My CMags is currently 5/5/3. I have the covers to go 3/5/5 (or 4/5/4). I have been doing well enough with 5/5/3. The blue seems to do enough damage (and really, it's not often that I have 7R/B on the board to maximize the 5Blue damage), but I never really seem to use the Yellow which makes me consider going 5Blue...

I had the exact same issue. I had him 5/5/3 but would end up taking more damage or dying because when I had enough blue it wouldn't do enough damage. Face it, you want matches done quickly, and while shields are great, they only are useful in PvE or if you get a decent cascade. Maxing out damage ineveitably wins you matches faster and thus take less damage. Phantron states that red doesnt get you that much more damage at lvl 5 vs. lvl 3 but I wholeheartedly disagree. First, when C.Mags is boosted oh is that maxed red nice and the difference between lvl 3 and 5 becomes more pronounced. Second, any board shaker and Coercive Force do not work well together. X-Force, Surgical Strike, Polarizing Force, all if cast after Coercive Force take a very large chunk of your shields with them.

The arguement comes about high level PvE and that Coercive Force helps more and while that is a valid arguement, if that is why I would have C.Mags there are better options with Spiderman, Captain America and even Falcon.

To me Coercive Force is that early game skill, that you shoot for when the board is heavy yellow. This allows you to take less damage over all. I have lost more games or taking more damage because my C.Mags was 5/5/3 then I have at 3/5/5.

From experince I think the only two viable builds are 3/5/5 or 5/3/5 I do think 5/5/3 is the worst build since 5 blue really is needed. My prefernce for 3/5/5 is that I love the red as a damage spell and board shaker, but if you have another red user on your go to team, then sure 5/3/5 but not many character have a higher damaging red then C.Mags, assuming even 8 tiles thats 2088 for 8 AP or a 261 per AP avg only Cap, Deadpool, Torch can avg higher rates than that at the 3* level.

I see the arguements for 5/3/5, I just think 3/5/5 will win you more games and since I really do like pairing him up with X-Force, why do I want to create shields that are going to be destroyed with 3 and possible 4 skills being X-Force, Surgical Strike, Polarizing Force, and Recovery if it goes off. I don't miss 5 yellow at all so glad I went 3/5/5
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Yeah, I dunno. 3 protect.png halves the protection value, but realistically 270ish protection value is enough to minimize the amount of match damage you receive anyway, and 477 is not nearly enough to actually cut into the amount of damage powers do to you. And the ability to take care of countdowns is pretty much a crapshoot, even against maggia spam you'd probably be lucky to get more than 1 tile with the cast anyway. I don't miss it after respecing to 3/5/5 at all
  • Phaserhawk wrote:

I had the exact same issue. I had him 5/5/3 but would end up taking more damage or dying because when I had enough blue it wouldn't do enough damage. Face it, you want matches done quickly, and while shields are great, they only are useful in PvE or if you get a decent cascade. Maxing out damage ineveitably wins you matches faster and thus take less damage. Phantron states that red doesnt get you that much more damage at lvl 5 vs. lvl 3 but I wholeheartedly disagree. First, when C.Mags is boosted oh is that maxed red nice and the difference between lvl 3 and 5 becomes more pronounced. Second, any board shaker and Coercive Force do not work well together. X-Force, Surgical Strike, Polarizing Force, all if cast after Coercive Force take a very large chunk of your shields with them.

The arguement comes about high level PvE and that Coercive Force helps more and while that is a valid arguement, if that is why I would have C.Mags there are better options with Spiderman, Captain America and even Falcon.

To me Coercive Force is that early game skill, that you shoot for when the board is heavy yellow. This allows you to take less damage over all. I have lost more games or taking more damage because my C.Mags was 5/5/3 then I have at 3/5/5.

From experince I think the only two viable builds are 3/5/5 or 5/3/5 I do think 5/5/3 is the worst build since 5 blue really is needed. My prefernce for 3/5/5 is that I love the red as a damage spell and board shaker, but if you have another red user on your go to team, then sure 5/3/5 but not many character have a higher damaging red then C.Mags, assuming even 8 tiles thats 2088 for 8 AP or a 261 per AP avg only Cap, Deadpool, Torch can avg higher rates than that at the 3* level.

I see the arguements for 5/3/5, I just think 3/5/5 will win you more games and since I really do like pairing him up with X-Force, why do I want to create shields that are going to be destroyed with 3 and possible 4 skills being X-Force, Surgical Strike, Polarizing Force, and Recovery if it goes off. I don't miss 5 yellow at all so glad I went 3/5/5

not having 5R wasn't really going to be an option. I love the TU denial/damage/cascade effect.

I redid to 3/5/5 and it was worth it. I think D3 definitely messed with the cascade rate, for both sides, so causing them is so so sweet...
  • Spoit
    Options
    5R just boosts damage. It eliminates all the TU tiles regardless
  • I almost never use yellow but I still don't see the point of having 5r because the only person whose health is low enough for 3r vs 5r to matter is OBW. Even The Hood can shrug off a Polarized Force level 5 just fine, and it's almost impossible to put together a decent team that cannot kill The Hood with 2 damaging moves. Yes, the situation where 5y comes in handy is pretty far fetched too, but 5r just doesn't hit enough to matter against anyone with more HP than OBW 99% of the time.
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Options
    Buffed 5r (every villain LR, basically) matters.
  • locked wrote:
    Buffed 5r (every villain LR, basically) matters.

I guess, but unless they start making LRs give out special tokens I don't see that being a big deal. It certainly doesn't matter if you're just iso 8 grinding during LRs.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    I almost never use yellow but I still don't see the point of having 5r because the only person whose health is low enough for 3r vs 5r to matter is OBW. Even The Hood can shrug off a Polarized Force level 5 just fine, and it's almost impossible to put together a decent team that cannot kill The Hood with 2 damaging moves. Yes, the situation where 5y comes in handy is pretty far fetched too, but 5r just doesn't hit enough to matter against anyone with more HP than OBW 99% of the time.

The difference between dealing 1.5k and 2.5k on an ability that you use at least once a match is obviously going to have a higher probability of mattering than 200 extra protect tile stengrth / removing cds on an ability that you use in say 10% of matches. Yeah, obviously 3 to 5 covers is marginal for both abilties compared to something like surgical, but i dont get why youre so resistant to the idea that when you have a choice between two relatively marginal upgrades, you go for the one that youll use more often.
  • Spoit
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    I almost never use yellow but I still don't see the point of having 5r because the only person whose health is low enough for 3r vs 5r to matter is OBW. Even The Hood can shrug off a Polarized Force level 5 just fine, and it's almost impossible to put together a decent team that cannot kill The Hood with 2 damaging moves. Yes, the situation where 5y comes in handy is pretty far fetched too, but 5r just doesn't hit enough to matter against anyone with more HP than OBW 99% of the time.

The difference between dealing 1.5k and 2.5k on an ability that you use at least once a match is obviously going to have a higher probability of mattering than 200 extra protect tile stengrth / removing cds on an ability that you use in say 10% of matches. Yeah, obviously 3 to 5 covers is marginal for both abilties compared to something like surgical, but i dont get why youre so resistant to the idea that when you have a choice between two relatively marginal upgrades, you go for the one that youll use more often.
    And I've pretty much never used his yellow since the change. Hood's yellow is much better, but I even usually use x-forces preferentially, even if he's only like 2k health down
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    But I can't tell you how many times I have gone, Polarizing Force, into Surgical Strike have enough AP to cast X-Force, and sometimes that Surgical Strike nets me red, and after blowing up the board with Surgical Strike and X-Force, there is darn near 8-10 TU's again for me to cast Polarzing Force again, and yeah the damage is nice. That is my main arguement against 5/3/5. First I think the extra damage is important, 1k is 1K and when you can cast PF twice oh so nice. Second, if you run C.Mags with X-Force having 5 in Coercive Force is an absolute waste because you are blowing everything up and the defensive tiles are not around for long, so when faced with a choice of leveling up a skill that I will not use very often and then after using it will be a complete wasted because of being exploded, yeah gonna go with Polarizing Force, I have had so much more success with 3/5/5 over 5/5/3 I couldn't even imagince going 5/3/5, red has saved me too many times, because when that Sentry is about ready to World Rupture you and he's sitting at 2000 life, I think Polazring Force at level 5 makes a very big differene then.

It really comes down to the basics, will one build vs the other allow me to finish the game as quickly as possible while taking a minimal amount of damage. As we all know, the faster you can win the less damage you generally take, but in long PvE matches sometimes more damage doesn't always equate to a fast win. However, when it comes to C.Mags, I think that 3/5/5 will have you finishing the game faster and taking less damage than a 5/3/5 and for sure since I had it before a 5/5/3 build.
  • Druss
    Druss Posts: 368 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Why is this character so left behind?

I've been playing this game almost a year now, I have every character (most 3* a duplicate of - Lcap fully covered) & it seems odd that my SG, Groot, Gamora, etc have more covers than one of the very first characters released.

In fact CMags is my least covered character of the lot. A character that was released over a year ago having less covers than 1 that's been out a week!

As I understand it G3 removed CMags from events pending a rework of abilities, which strangely seemed to take 6 months, upon completion there was 1 CMags event (where I got most of my covers) then Bam! straight into the Vault forever more

Is he ever going to see the light of day?
  • Trisul
    Trisul Posts: 887 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Druss wrote:
    Is he ever going to see the light of day?
    Yes.
  • Speculation is that he'll come out of the vault for the next season (so in about a week), along with an upgraded Ragnarok, since those two have been vaulted the longest.
  • Marty17
    Marty17 Posts: 503 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Annoyingly, I need one cover to get 13/13. Ultimately 2 covers for respec. I'm a little tempted to outright buy a cover but fearing at any monent he'll be reintroduce in packs/event reward.
  • Druss
    Druss Posts: 368 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Rags with a 3rd ability - say goodbye to PvE then!