*** Magneto (Classic) ***

Comments

• NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    I feel like he can have some synergy with a 5/5/3 Falcon... but who would be the 3rd?
    Obviously a strike tile generator. Aside from 3star Daken, what are your opinions?
    Punisher and Patch come to mind off the top of my head.

I don't think Mags + Falcon is a good combination. C Mag's tile ability costs yellow, so by the time you get the AP to cast it, the board is probably going to be dry of yellow tiles to match for inspiration. Also, buffing protect tiles isn't really that useful. Damage in this game comes by either match damage or ability damage. Once you have enough defense tiles to prevent match damage, any defense tiles after that don't do a whole lot, since reducing 100 vs 300 damage on a 3k damage attack is pretty negligible.
  • ark123 wrote:
    His red is insane. This is quietly one of the best abilities in the game now. People were angry when they got Rag'ged in pve, lets hope there is never hard mode with a big cMags. Phones will be thrown.

Ark, could you explain why red is insane? I could guess what you mean, but would like to hear more on your thoughts.
  • MarcusGraves
    MarcusGraves Posts: 495 Mover and Shaker
    camichan wrote:
    ark123 wrote:
    His red is insane. This is quietly one of the best abilities in the game now. People were angry when they got Rag'ged in pve, lets hope there is never hard mode with a big cMags. Phones will be thrown.

Ark, could you explain why red is insane? I could guess what you mean, but would like to hear more on your thoughts.

TU tiles aren't often matched, do much less damage and build up on the board cluttering up your better possible matches, red clears up that clutter for only 8 cost and rewards you with a good bulk of damage. for my games its not unusual for me to have around 10-15 TU tiles on the board which means a maxed red will do between 2610 to 3915 damage not including possible cascade damage.

the damage isn't static but its based on a tile that people usually don't want to match anyway so they build up easily. I agree with ark that red will be overlooked with how strong it is for awhile because people are so focused on the changes to the other 2 powers.
  • gambl0r312
    gambl0r312 Posts: 254 Mover and Shaker
    camichan wrote:
    ark123 wrote:

TU tiles aren't often matched, do much less damage and build up on the board cluttering up your better possible matches, red clears up that clutter for only 8 cost and rewards you with a good bulk of damage. for my games its not unusual for me to have around 10-15 TU tiles on the board which means a maxed red will do between 2610 to 3915 damage not including possible cascade damage.

the damage isn't static but its based on a tile that people usually don't want to match anyway so they build up easily. I agree with ark that red will be overlooked with how strong it is for awhile because people are so focused on the changes to the other 2 powers.

This is exactly how I lost all 3 of my team climbing in Shield SIM. The Red ability did 2800 dmg to Hood due to all the TUs i left on the board, killing him, gave the opponent a match-5 Yellow, and since I was fighting L Daken + L Thor + C. Mags.... I ate a Thunderstrike and a Call the Storm in short order. icon_eek.gif The AI then finished up with Chemical Reaction, leaving me with Sentry and 1200 Hit points...

http://www.sadtrombone.com/
  • I don't think this is a straight forward choice at all. I'm certain it's a case of 2 at 5 covers and one on 3. His blue is my favourite and probably the most powerful so it's between 5/3/5 and 3/5/5. I've voted 5/3/5 as its his best build for pve which is where I use him.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've been using him a little bit, but I don't think I've ever actually used his yellow. I just can't justify it when there are actually good yellowflag.png powers out there for only marginally more cost

Whereas I've ended up having enough blue to use his power incidentally without even targeting any of the bluetile.png tiles

His redflag.png actually does pretty good damage, though I think that storm's version is still better
  • Glad I'm not the only one who thinks that Cmag's red hits like a freaking truck. Good lord is that power OP.
  • areacode212
    areacode212 Posts: 150 Tile Toppler
    For such a powerful attack, it really doesn't "feel" like one, the way something like Thor's or Ares' or Wolverine's do, due to their awesome sound effects. For Mags, we get that weak shuffling sound, then the opponent drops dead. Since these are supposed to be metal chunks being hurled at the opponent, how about metal clanging sounds for each swap?
  • Glad I'm not the only one who thinks that Cmag's red hits like a freaking truck. Good lord is that power OP.

Oh, yeah! Whole once (maaaaaybe two) per battle... And to single target. Freaking trucks from toy store. icon_lol.gif
  • Cragger
    Cragger Posts: 316 Mover and Shaker
    Wait, this game has sound effects? icon_e_surprised.gif
  • OTERSEY wrote:
    Glad I'm not the only one who thinks that Cmag's red hits like a freaking truck. Good lord is that power OP.

Oh, yeah! Whole once (maaaaaybe two) per battle... And to single target. Freaking trucks from toy store. icon_lol.gif

Do you actually use him? The ensuing cascade is often enough to murder a couple characters.
  • ark123 wrote:
    Do you actually use him?

Of course nope. Only you have Red Magneto.
    ark123 wrote:
    The ensuing cascade is often enough to murder a couple characters.

Whoa! Evil scary **? Or near dead ***? And I like word «often». Really. Sound very solid. icon_lol.gif
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah, new C.Mags hits very very hard. I have numerous times gone from Polarzing Force for 2K netting enough blue to cast Magnetized Projectile, right now it only does 2400 but once I get him switched to 3/5/5 he will be nasty. Strike tiles taken out. His Red/Blue hits for a about the same damage as his Red/Purple did. Yes with strike tiles in there it's not close, and yes Purple could hit for vastly more, but in terms of just straight number averages they are pretty close. Magneto is a very good defensive character. Because players tend to let TU's sit on the board, if you aren't careful he will hit you hard. In the DP vs MPQ the node against C.Mags this happend as I was chasing green and yellow, after the typical AI cheating cascade icon_e_wink.gif and me leaving TU's on the board I was welcomed with a 4K Polarizing Force, that did not feel good.
  • If, when, but, with strike tiles, after cheating cascade... icon_lol.gif Say directly: skill have good potential, but requires to many random conditions and luck. And this not good. Exist many much better red skills with guaranteed much better effects. So, main purpose of this skill it's remove all TU tiles from board. Over. Damage there only like a bonus. Build your battle strategy on this ability it's like build house on the sand.
  • NorthernPolarity
    OTERSEY wrote:
    If, when, but, with strike tiles, after cheating cascade... icon_lol.gif Say directly: skill have good potential, but requires to many random conditions and luck. And this not good. Exist many much better red skills with guaranteed much better effects. So, main purpose of this skill it's remove all TU tiles from board. Over. Damage there only like a bonus. Build your battle strategy on this ability it's like build house on the sand.

I'd say the main purpose of the skill is the damage + cascade ability - Remember that by removing all tiles of a single type from the board, theres a much greater chance of cascades happening since theres a greater probability of the remaining tiles being of the same type when they land. Honestly I think you're greatly undervaluing the ability: the only comparable red abilities are Colossus, DP, Cap, Torch. Cap/Torch's red will do more damage, but theres a huge difference between costing 9 and costing 11, to the point where I will use C Mags over Cap because you can't cast Cap's shield ever with X-Force on the team, but you can cast C. Mags. Torch/DP do more damage, but they lack the board clear / cascade potential, which honestly puts the ability a lot closer to them than you think.
  • I'd say the main purpose of the skill is the damage + cascade ability.

Maybe. But I prefer quick raw damage without random circumstances. So, for me and for those, who prefer that battle style it's meant, what I say earlier.
    Honestly I think you're greatly undervaluing the ability: the only comparable red abilities are Colossus, DP, Cap, Torch.

Honestly, you're forgot about Patch, Sentry and She-Hulk. Plus LT, Ragnarok and Psylocke like equivalent of non maxed Magneto builds:

With 14 red and 5 covers Patch kill any single target + drop 2 awesome swords. With 1 or 2 yellow IM40 you got this pretty quick.
    With 11 red and 5 covers Sentry deals 4k damage to whole team + extra damage from cascades. Danvers help charge Supernova even more effectively, than IM40. This skill also remove all tiles one tipe in 8 of 10 incidents
    With 9 red AP and 5 covers Jenny deal 1600 damage to whole team + extra damage from cascades
    LT deals solid 1700+ on 4 covers for same 8 red and also may start cascades or charge sweety Thunder Strike on current turn
    Same and with Rag — damage little fewer, but and skill cost too (6AP)
    Psylocke not only cast red, but also generate decent swords, which may do every her next attacks and regular matches more stronger. And cheaper (8-5AP).

All this skills I may cast with full effect on current or next turn so many, how many I have red AP. Instead Red Magneto, who transform in helpless baby after first cast and must wait on appear of new TU tiles.

So why I must use puny Polarizing Force, except for destroy all TU tiles? icon_e_smile.gif
  • NorthernPolarity
    OTERSEY wrote:
    I'd say the main purpose of the skill is the damage + cascade ability.

Maybe. But I prefer quick raw damage without random circumstances. So, for me and for those, who prefer that battle style it's meant, what I say earlier.
    Honestly I think you're greatly undervaluing the ability: the only comparable red abilities are Colossus, DP, Cap, Torch.

Honestly, you're forgot about Patch, Sentry and She-Hulk. Plus LT, Ragnarok and Psylocke like equivalent of non maxed Magneto builds:

With 14 red and 5 covers Patch kill any single target + drop 2 awesome swords. With 1 or 2 yellow IM40 you got this pretty quick.
    With 11 red and 5 covers Sentry deals 4k damage to whole team + extra damage from cascades. Danvers help charge Supernova even more effectively, than IM40. This skill also remove all tiles one tipe in 8 of 10 incidents
    With 9 red AP and 5 covers Jenny deal 1600 damage to whole team + extra damage from cascades
    LT deals solid 1700+ on 4 covers for same 8 red and also may start cascades or charge sweety Thunder Strike on current turn
    Psylocke not only cast red, but also generate decent swords, which may do every her next attacks and regular matches more stronger. And cheaper (8-5AP).

All this skills I may cast with full effect on current or next turn so many, how many I have red AP. Instead Red Magneto, who transform in helpless baby after first cast and must wait on appear of new TU tiles.

So why I must use puny Polarizing Force, except for destroy all TU tiles? icon_e_smile.gif

Okay, I guess I should modify my original post to comparable red abilities on PLAYABLE characters, since some of the examples you listed are on characters that are completely unplayable. I didn't include the red abilties you listed for a reason:

1. Patch's TBTI is mediocre. 14AP takes almost twice-three times the amount of time it takes to get 9AP, and you need Patch to be tanking at least 2 colors for it to even be cost efficient (a tall order when he's not the featured character in most cases).
    2. Supernova is terrible at sustained pushing, to the point where I don't use it in almost any circumstance unless I'm desperate.
    3. She-Hulk - I didn't include red powers of unplayable characters because you would never run an unplayable character over a playable character.
    4. Why would you even have 4 cover LT? If you're comparing characters, you need to compare them with the builds that they're actually played in, which in this case is 3/5/5 for LazyThor.
    5. Rag - Unplayable.
    6. Psylocke's red is mediocre. You could be doing so much more damage than 8AP for ~1k damage and a 220 damage strike tile. This is like 375 damage / AP if the strike tile survives for 10 uses, and thats a pretty big if.

Your point about C. Mags having to wait for red tiles before he can use the ability doesn't matter in practice: it's not like you're going to stockpile 18 red AP before using the ability once, and by the time you get another 9 red AP to use it again, there should be more than enough TU tiles to kill.

Think about it this way. High end abilities (CTS / fireball / etc) have an AP ratio of 500 damage / AP. If C. Mags red generates a SINGLE cascade (which I think on average it does? wheres mischief when you need him) on a typical say 8 TU tile board, then it deals 3.8k damage, which has a very respectable ratio of 400 damage / AP. This is probably in the average case: if you get more than one cascade or more TU tiles, then the damage easily hits over 500 damage/AP, which is in line with top tier skills. All of this for 9 red AP, which is pretty damn fast.
  • NorthernPolarity
    Okay yeah, after playing around with the team a bit, I'm now convinced that X-Force C Mags is the best 2 character combination in the game (barring stupid Sentry shenanigans for PvP). C Mags red into surgical has given me some of the most absurd cascades I've ever seen. The team has 3 amazing abilities in red/green/black, one good ability in blue, and one okay ability in yellow. Anyone doubting the cascade potential and power of C. Mag's new red really needs to try this team out in action: it's going to be my go to team for pretty much anything now. So much better than LazyCap, it's not even funny.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Okay yeah, after playing around with the team a bit, I'm now convinced that X-Force C Mags is the best 2 character combination in the game
    Yeah, it makes total sense that if you remove two colors from the board via their red and black, what's left over has some incredible match potential. My only problem is that on defense, the AI is only going to sequence those abilities by accident. I was thinking Deadpool would be the most idiot-proof partner for the AI.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    OTERSEY wrote:
    I'd say the main purpose of the skill is the damage + cascade ability.

Okay, I guess I should modify my original post to comparable red abilities on PLAYABLE characters, since some of the examples you listed are on characters that are completely unplayable. I didn't include the red abilties you listed for a reason:

1. Patch's TBTI is mediocre. 14AP takes almost twice-three times the amount of time it takes to get 9AP, and you need Patch to be tanking at least 2 colors for it to even be cost efficient (a tall order when he's not the featured character in most cases).
    2. Supernova is terrible at sustained pushing, to the point where I don't use it in almost any circumstance unless I'm desperate.
    3. She-Hulk - I didn't include red powers of unplayable characters because you would never run an unplayable character over a playable character.
    4. Why would you even have 4 cover LT? If you're comparing characters, you need to compare them with the builds that they're actually played in, which in this case is 3/5/5 for LazyThor.
    5. Rag - Unplayable.
    6. Psylocke's red is mediocre. You could be doing so much more damage than 8AP for ~1k damage and a 220 damage strike tile. This is like 375 damage / AP if the strike tile survives for 10 uses, and thats a pretty big if.

Your point about C. Mags having to wait for red tiles before he can use the ability doesn't matter in practice: it's not like you're going to stockpile 18 red AP before using the ability once, and by the time you get another 9 red AP to use it again, there should be more than enough TU tiles to kill.

Think about it this way. High end abilities (CTS / fireball / etc) have an AP ratio of 500 damage / AP. If C. Mags red generates a SINGLE cascade (which I think on average it does? wheres mischief when you need him) on a typical say 8 TU tile board, then it deals 3.8k damage, which has a very respectable ratio of 400 damage / AP. This is probably in the average case: if you get more than one cascade or more TU tiles, then the damage easily hits over 500 damage/AP, which is in line with top tier skills. All of this for 9 red AP, which is pretty damn fast.

Not to fault your comparison NP, but Polarizing Force only costs 8AP. icon_razz.gif So it's better than you thought. OTERSEY'S an idiot if he doesnt' understand the new C.Mags. I've been playing him regularly and honestly like him more than before. I do need to switch to 3/5/5 from my 5/5/3. Coercive Force is really good, but there have been too many times I could have finished a game by using Magnetized Projectiles. While C.Mags cannot stop an entire team by himself anymore he is far from useless. Coercive Force changes the game, it stops or reduces match damage, and Polarizing Force completely shakes up the board into cascade and 75% of the time I cascade into enough blue for Magnetized Projectiles which only doing 2.4K is okay, but I'm looking forward to using it for 4991