New Feature: Bonus Heroes! *Updated (3/1/17)

Options

Comments

• astrp3
    astrp3 Posts: 367 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Xzasxz wrote:
    While being really disappointed with the current situation with vaulting and D3 completely ignoring us (One post, that said nothing, in over 3 weeks time), I was playing "Thick as Thieves" very little, only selected nodes, just to hit 4 star.pngicon_blade.png reward. And finished as 90 of 763. 1/2 of the progression was enough to be Top100. Level 8 ofc. Is it accident or people loosing desire to play?

Thick as Thieves was perfectly normal for me. Played the way I always do and finished where I always do - maybe even a little lower. I DID notice that there have been far fewer points in PvPs for me this season, at least until the last one. I'm playing the same slices and same way I usually do and my roster hasn't changed dramatically, but scores that would have put you in top 50 last season now get you top 20 (though it's been harder for me to place because there aren't enough points available). Hollowpoint Kiss, however, was back to normal and even a bit harder (818 only got me #46 and it usually gets me 5-10 places higher).
  • revskip
    revskip Posts: 981 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Magic wrote:
    To be frank my question was rhetorical with a layer of sarcasm under it. Yes - I know it's helping me get some 4* (if I target the bonus well - I have already done it couple of time to get the lvl 223 cover). My complain is that I don't receive the bonus hero when I open the Legendary tokens (only 1 so far). I believe that the biggest issue with the bonus hero and vaulting (and I am team it's connected and can't be regarded separately until one of them is removed) is the rate.

5% is a joke. There is pretty much no chance of getting the 4* bonus hero from heroic/event tokens (not to mention that vaults don't have even that). And the legendary are too rare for a non-paying player to make any sort of difference at this rate.

It was already calculated that an average non-paying player gets about 70-80 CP per week (PvP and PvE plus championing levels for 2 and 3*). That is 4 pulls a week from classics or 3 from latest. You need five to seven weeks (depending on the store) to meet the mathematical criteria of getting a single bonus hero 4*. A month or more for 1 cover. C'mon....

Or hoard for a while and open a bunch at once, it is a lot easier to see the percentage when you have a sizable number of pulls. Not seeing a bonus when you are pulling one or two a day is the norm since they only drop 1/20. Track it and you'll see that you'll be in the 5% range. Exactly how many legendary tokens have you opened? They are dropping for me at a slightly elevated rate ~6% since their inception although my 5* drop rate has been less than stellar during that period at ~12%.

Also that token + CP rate seems low to me. If you do every PVP to 575 and every PVE to full progression you get between 70 - 95 CP per week (25+25 if there are two PVE events 25 for seven day events and 15*3 for the PVP events). Add in legendary tokens and CP from the crashes and the behemoth burrito + 3* and 4* rewards and you end up with even more pulls per week depending where you are in the transition.
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    revskip wrote:
    Or hoard for a while and open a bunch at once, it is a lot easier to see the percentage when you have a sizable number of pulls. Not seeing a bonus when you are pulling one or two a day is the norm since they only drop 1/20. Track it and you'll see that you'll be in the 5% range. Exactly how many legendary tokens have you opened? They are dropping for me at a slightly elevated rate ~6% since their inception although my 5* drop rate has been less than stellar during that period at ~12%.

When bonus heroes are so rare that you can remember the only time you got one, then I can comfortably state that my rate on 4*s is well below 5%.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,928 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I don't know what's worse for me. Not pulling a bonus hero at all, or pulling the only cover I have 5 in (it has happened to me TWICE). I get SUPER excited only to find that yet again it's 1,000 Iso and wonder all over again why I pull tokens in the first place and why I don't just buy covers outright.

Pulling tokens used to be one of the most fun parts of this game for me before vaulting. Then I question why I play at all. I'm really hoping D3 gives us SOMETHING come Monday.

[conspiracy theory] Do you think it's possible that they know exactly what they're going to do, but are prolonging announcing it because they know once they do they may lose a large chunk of their player base waiting around for a resolution? If I knew that my decision would inevitably drive you away, I would sit on it and collect more money/ad revenue as long as I could before finally announcing it. [/conspiracy theory]
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,518 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Today I opened two Latest tokens, in small hopes of adding a Strange cover before he drops to Classics. The result? Two Mordos. Which again shone the light on how boring it can be to open these special tokens which mostly give one of 12 results. Yes, we can cover characters quickly. But it just is less fun when you know pretty much what you will get. This also made 0/45 bonus pulls from the Legendary store for me (I'm sure someone has it worse, though). Ha ha, 5%.

I don't even care that my Mordo is now 1/1/5. He isn't exciting, I'm in no rush to level/champ/use him, and I'm sure I'll eventually get those covers.... Thanks, Vaulting!
  • snlf25
    snlf25 Posts: 947 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I got in a mad scramble to finish my Peggy before they **** me over and vaulted her. Got her done and didn't even end up wasting the two extra reds I had dying on the vine. I haven't played anywhere near as much as I usually do since. I basically finished my 4k season progression because I've got every one of them since season 6 and went back down to mostly just DDQ. Even skipped most of the lightning rounds. This vaulting thing has me so depressed and discouraged about the game when it comes right down to it. I remember how torturous it was to wait 9 months between 3* Magneto covers and I can't do that again. I haven't even tried for the new Iron Fist, haven't even looked at his powers. Have all the devs that were working on the game back then moved on to other projects? I can't imagine that any of the people who were here back then would ever even suggest bringing back vaulting knowing how much it was hated. Yes there needed to be something done. Why not lower the 2* percentage from 90% percent on everything and opened up the odds on 3* and 4* a little? Why not make a 3rd and 4th subset of Legendary Tokens instead of **** on us with the continuation of shoving all but the newest three into Classics? Nobody wanted this! We wanted more ways to play, better odds, more ways to win. Not more artificial scarcity and more threat to play tired events like Juggernaught Heroic so that we can grind out another 20CP against the same tired Dark Avengers in the hopes that we miss out on a 5* (ffs) get yet another lousy Mordo blue and hope and pray that the 5% gods shine on us and we get the last green Rhulk we need. Not a red or purple, only a green. This is a screwjob. This seriously needs to be rethought and done away with.
  • Alsmir
    Alsmir Posts: 508 Critical Contributor
    Options
    So any updates or what?

I decided to keep playing for now, despite that dreadfull change, but it's unbelieveably discouraging.

First there were intercepts. Sure, extra resources are great. But what about Steam users? On Sunday I was so happy after earning about 25k ISO, but then I learned that people can pull 10-15k daily just from intercepts. Good for them, but why am I forced to compete against app users?
    My account isn't shared between Steam and phone, I can't transfer my account, but at the same time I'm playing against guys that get plenty of extra resources. How is that fair?

Now the bloody vaulting. All the covers I earned for older 4* are almost wasted. Crash of Titans is Jean, she's olso boosted and people are using her to breeze through current PvEs and PvPs and I'm pulling Riris, Venoms and Mordos, while praying to gods for bonus hero covers for at least a chance to cover Cyclops in 2017. That's tinykitty.

We get the usuall "We're aware and working on something" and then nothing.
  • kyo28
    kyo28 Posts: 161 Tile Toppler
    Options
    It's pretty clear that we've entered into a staring contest with the devs. Who will blink first? Us, the players, by spending money on the game or the devs by fixing this horrid vaulting.

I for one plan to not blink first but I'm afraid a lot of other players have already when I see that lots of them renew their VIP and/or have bought in the latest sale. That makes me sad but doesn't change my resolve to not blink!
  • madsalad
    madsalad Posts: 815 Critical Contributor
    Options
    kyo28 wrote:
    It's pretty clear that we've entered into a staring contest with the devs. Who will blink first? Us, the players, by spending money on the game or the devs by fixing this horrid vaulting.

I for one plan to not blink first but I'm afraid a lot of other players have already when I see that lots of them renew their VIP and/or have bought in the latest sale. That makes me sad but doesn't change my resolve to not blink!

I honestly can't believe this thread hasn't been locked yet.
  • Magic
    Magic Posts: 1,199 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    kyo28 wrote:

Saddly the players are blinking all over the place. It's another win for the developers. I wonder if there is little remorse in their minds and hearts for the players who felt cheated ("again" I may add) or rather a feeling of satisfaction that yet another unwanted change (by some/most players) got validated with the wallets of the players who desire it.

Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me. And we have been fooled many, many times. Shame on us, players (myself included).
  • kyo28
    kyo28 Posts: 161 Tile Toppler
    edited March 2017
    Options
    madsalad wrote:
    Because ...?

Because we're not allowed to speak out when we dislike or flat out hate a change?
    Because we're not allowed to ask dev's for more explanation or news regarding a fix?
    Because we're not allowed to state the obvious that a company only listens when we speak with our wallets?

I'm not saying people shouldn't spend money on this game (RNGesus knows I've spent my fair share on VIP and sales), all I'm stating is that if people are really unhappy with vaulting, that this is the only way to clearly show it.

Moreover, I'm the first one to say that when a F2P game does things right, and treats it's players with respect, that you should spend some money on it to keep the game going and growing. I've spent money on MPQ, Marvel Future Fight, Plants vs Zombies 2 and DC Legends, all because at that time, I thought those games were worth it. Sadly enough, with vaulting MPQ has fallen off that list. No shame in being honest about that, no?

An AAA PS4 game costs about 70 Euro. I've spent more than twice that amount on MPQ in the 1.7 years I've been playing it. That's decent spending in my mind, especially considering this game is a rather simple one (no complex graphics, coding seems to be fairly limited, very few different events). So I think it's not too much to ask for the devs to take our feedback into account, fix the bugs and pretty please add more PVE events because playing Venom Bomb or Heroic Juggernaut for the 1.000th time grows very stale after a while.

If devs put their best effort in and try to find a middle ground between pleasing the ultra-mega-whales as well as the casual but faithful player, then I'm sure that not only will player happiness and word-to-mouth advertising increase, their revenue from both sides will also increase. It's a delicate balancing but with the feedback from the devs we got so far and the simplistic solutions they are "considering", it doesn't instill much confidence in me. I hope they will succeed in pleasantly surprise us.
  • CNash
    CNash Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Magic wrote:
    kyo28 wrote:

Saddly the players are blinking all over the place. It's another win for the developers. I wonder if there is little remorse in their minds and hearts for the players who felt cheated ("again" I may add) or rather a feeling of satisfaction that yet another unwanted change (by some/most players) got validated with the wallets of the players who desire it.

Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me. And we have been fooled many, many times. Shame on us, players (myself included).

This strategy will not work. We represent a tiny fraction of the player base of this game; even if all of us collectively decided not to spend anything ever again, it wouldn't make a dent in D3's bottom line.
  • madsalad
    Options
    kyo28 wrote:
    madsalad wrote:
    Because ...?

Because we're not allowed to speak out when we dislike or flat out hate a change?
    Because we're not allowed to ask dev's for more explanation or news regarding a fix?
    Because we're not allowed to state the obvious that a company only listens when we speak with our wallets?

Precedent. Please see every other formerly stickied "New Feature" thread that devolved into page after page of questions to the devs, with a "we're looking into it" answer and then more countless pages of asking for/demanding updates/answers and then eventually just the equivalent of "BUMP" posts.
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    madsalad wrote:
    kyo28 wrote:
    madsalad wrote:
    Because ...?

Precedent. Please see every other formerly stickied "New Feature" thread that devolved into page after page of questions to the devs, with a "we're looking into it" answer and then more countless pages of asking for/demanding updates/answers and then eventually just the equivalent of "BUMP" posts.

Check the thread "when will we get feedback".

This is just general venting, which some people need.

Also boss rush was the last time a response this critical happened. And that hasn't been run again thankfully.
  • madsalad
    Options
    GurlBYE wrote:
    madsalad wrote:
    kyo28 wrote:
    madsalad wrote:
    Because ...?

Check the thread "when will we get feedback".

This is just general venting, which some people need.

Also boss rush was the last time a response this critical happened. And that hasn't been run again thankfully.

Let's not forget the "Championing" announcement thread from last year where many, many, many people had question about the general 3* tier nerf which was sneakily enacted to better balance out the gains from championing. That thread eventually got locked if I'm not mistaken.
  • Xzasxz
    Xzasxz Posts: 124 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Every time I check the forum for any answer from d3 I just see, really see, big middle finger that they show me.
  • El Satanno
    El Satanno Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    kyo28 wrote:

You're not getting anywhere for one very simple reason. Look at your own choice of words; my emphasis above. You cannot 'fix' that which is not broken. I'm speaking objectively here. Vaulting is working correctly, as far as any of us on this end can tell. There is nothing objectively broken. Subjectively speaking, it quite obviously is a horrid thing, but that's your own opinion. It's quite glaringly obvious that the devs have a diametrically opposing opinion to yours.

You have chosen to stop spending money on the game until some change is effected, and although I suspect it will be a wholly symbolic gesture (especially if you keep playing) I salute your resolve. Indeed, voting with your wallet is probably the single most effective means of communicating your displeasure. But it does seem you are in the minority. Even within my own family of alliances, buy clubs still go on with staggering regularity and at least 4 people have renewed their VIP this week.

To put it as mildly as possible: Stop wasting your breath. If you feel strongly enough, stop playing the game. Maybe go so far as to tell your friends who do/might play to stop, if that's your fancy. You might try redirecting your energy to offering reasonable suggestions to make things even out for the players instead of shouting "Fix it!" over and over again. Banging on around here only makes everyone annoyed with you.

For reference I'm not entirely committed one way or the other on the issue, although my general inclination is to say that in its current incarnation vaulting sucks. I'm just not convinced enough by either side. Besides, there are bigger fish to fry...I'm looking at you, 5* tier... icon_evil.gif
  • Magic
    Magic Posts: 1,199 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    mexus wrote:
    Great start of this day:
    One heroic token:
    4* Blade + favorited Red Hulk as a bonus. Now Red Hulk is at 9 covers making him my second highest covered 4*. So much great fun and thanks for the bonus hero system once again, developers!
    Could have been Red Hulk and a favorited Red Hulk to take this amazing character to 10 covers... but then there is vaulting so this didn't happen. But congratulation on winning the lottery (1 in 300 heroic tokens gives a bonus on average).
  • whitecat31
    whitecat31 Posts: 579 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Still waiting for that feedback development team. Our feedback from the player fan base is vaulting stinks. My investment in basically 20 four stars is about 8 million iso. That is 8 million iso that is basically wasted. The fix is obvious from a customer service standpoint. Alternate days, when legendary and classic tokens give a full spectrum of 4 stars versus the most recent dozen. It is very simple programming. From my perspective the reason why you won't do the fix, is you guys like the false sense of urgency vaulting will give part of your customer base. I think you guys are trying to trick somebody into buying ISO, because of that false sense of urgency. I find that ethically challenging. It is also very poor customer service.
  • tanis3303
    tanis3303 Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    Options
    mexus wrote:
    whitecat31 wrote:
    Still waiting for that feedback development team. Our feedback from the player fan base is vaulting stinks. My investment in basically 20 four stars is about 8 million iso. That is 8 million iso that is basically wasted. The fix is obvious from a customer service standpoint. Alternate days, when legendary and classic tokens give a full spectrum of 4 stars versus the most recent dozen. It is very simple programming. From my perspective the reason why you won't do the fix, is you guys like the false sense of urgency vaulting will give part of your customer base. I think you guys are trying to trick somebody into buying ISO, because of that false sense of urgency. I find that ethically challenging. It is also very poor customer service.

Will you explain for me how those 8 million ISO8's are wasted when they've gone into leveling your characters up?
    I'm trying to understand this argumentation against vaulted characters and the bonus hero system as it is now.

It's not wasted, per se...but you sure as kitty aren't getting as much out of it as you would have in the past. There is now very little reason to champ bottom tier characters like (my opinions here) Falcap, Drax, Elektra etc, because you'll pull, what? Like 4 champ levels for them per year, if that? Just a few weeks ago, players that invested in ALL 4* characters would see the fruits of that investment with every pull of the LT handle. New cover? Cool, lets get Coulson covered! Old cover? Cool, lets reap that juicy champ reward! Once you get above lvl 300, those champ rewards get REALLY good...and now most of us will never see them.

I have to agree with Whitecat here, this seems like a cash-grabbing, forced urgency change, and it pretty much makes me want to not play anymore. I was perfectly happy ignoring 5* play and building up my 4* army, slowly but surely. The devs have yanked the rug out from under that system for me, and the desire to keep playing went along with it. I'm not a spender, so I'm sure no one on the dev side cares about my opinion on the matter, but the whales won't keep spending if all the chum gets driven away by greedy decisions...