New Feature: Bonus Heroes! *Updated (3/1/17)

Comments

• Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,938 Chairperson of the Boards
    Jaedenkaal wrote:
    We the players have been discussing solutions all weekend and the one that seems to be getting the most universal praise, and that will help solve the problem you were trying to address (dilution) without impacting your bottom line (financially speaking) is to add the older vaulted legends to the classic packs and leave the newest in the latest packs. This will allow those who complain of dilution and want to catch up faster a route to do so by buying latest packs that have a smaller pool to draw from. Those who don't mind dilution and want to work on covering older characters can do so with the classic packs. Both customers can utilize the very occasional bonus heroes (universally loved without the vaulting, by the way) to fill in the gaps.

If they do this, be prepared for Classics to cost 25 CP as well.

I'm not arguing that they should, I'm just saying. The argument in favour of this solution is that the older characters are at least as valuable to us as the new ones, so I'd get ready to pay as much for them.

I think it's possible. Or, maybe they will recognize that even if they are not JUST as valuable as the latest, they are a heck of a lot more valuable to us than to be locked out of tokens altogether. There's probably a lot of room to operate between those two extremes (being seen as completely equal and being locked out altogether). So with that in mind 20 CP classics with all (or all but 12) 4* seems fair, especially if the developers see pulling from a smaller pool as advantageous (basically the extra 5 CP is the cost to "fast-track" your progress and sidestep dilution).
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    We the players have been discussing solutions all weekend and the one that seems to be getting the most universal praise, and that will help solve the problem you were trying to address (dilution) without impacting your bottom line (financially speaking) is to add the older vaulted legends to the classic packs and leave the newest in the latest packs.
    This also has the added benefit for both developers and players of probablyt being the single easiest fix to put in. If they decided it was the right answer, or even the right answer for a few months while hashing out other ideas, they could probably implement it in just days or even mere hours.
  • whycantwesyncpc
    whycantwesyncpc Posts: 188 Tile Toppler
    DayvBang wrote:
    We the players have been discussing solutions all weekend and the one that seems to be getting the most universal praise, and that will help solve the problem you were trying to address (dilution) without impacting your bottom line (financially speaking) is to add the older vaulted legends to the classic packs and leave the newest in the latest packs.
    This also has the added benefit for both developers and players of probablyt being the single easiest fix to put in. If they decided it was the right answer, or even the right answer for a few months while hashing out other ideas, they could probably implement it in just days or even mere hours.

I'd be happy with just an announcement of plans no matter how short or long it takes to implement. As of this morning I am boycotting the game until it's changed. An announcement that fixes the problem and I'll stick it out and just horde until the fix actually happens. I hope they bring back the full pool of 3*'s as well and 4*'s though.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,938 Chairperson of the Boards
    DayvBang wrote:

Right. If the developers have been following this or any of the other threads on this topic they'd know this has been the most heavily agreed upon solution. My advice if you want to influence change is to speak with your wallets. While they are "taking their time figuring things out" best believe they are beta-testing this and tracking sales, activity, etc. under this new system. I'm free to play so sadly do not impact their bottom line aside from the occasional ad they toss my way. Still, I will be hoarding all my CP that I earn until a decision has been made.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Cthulhu wrote:
    We just had our initial conversation after the weekend and are discussing what to do next, please bear with us as we move as fast as we can without breaking anything!

Thanks cthulhu, communication is alaays appreciated.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    DayvBang wrote:

Right. If the developers have been following this or any of the other threads on this topic they'd know this has been the most heavily agreed upon solution. My advice if you want to influence change is to speak with your wallets. While they are "taking their time figuring things out" best believe they are beta-testing this and tracking sales, activity, etc. under this new system. I'm free to play so sadly do not impact their bottom line aside from the occasional ad they toss my way. Still, I will be hoarding all my CP that I earn until a decision has been made.

Hopefully they've also noticed that even just the bonus heroes feature itself is much more complicated for players to grasp than I suspect they realized, and that tying it in with the vaulting decision made it even more complicated.
  • Magic
    Magic Posts: 1,199 Chairperson of the Boards
    @cthulu and @Brigby who is lurking at the forum while I write this.

Please make sure that the development team doesn't rush into any decisions. I hope they will focus on multiple angles while trying to sort out this storm.

There are many solutions to the problem. One quick one (and a lot of players would applaud) is to revert the vaulting but keep the bonus hero.

Others? Limit the latest legends to 12 4* covers. Increase the bonus hero probability (100% on 4* pulls from heroics and event tokens where the probability is minuscule already; 25% on legendary pulls and 5% for extra 5* from legendary. For 3* - 10 to 25%). Colorless covers. Targeted color cover. And many more suggested around.

We are clearly carrot people in the forum so don't overuse the stick. (just check the reception of Coulsdon Pve that took most developed players under 10 minutes and yet they are happy with it).
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    Jaedenkaal wrote:
    DayvBang wrote:

Hopefully they've also noticed that even just the bonus heroes feature itself is much more complicated for players to grasp than I suspect they realized, and that tying it in with the vaulting decision made it even more complicated.

The biggest issue with bonus heroes implementation is dancing around making it s flat % across the board instead of a % chance post character star.png level being drawn.

Which, hopefully in a pro-colorless progress step, shows they are capable of having the game make some level of decision in logic post draw, aka having it roll twice in some way.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the logic involved in the process, but it seems to be checking things to make sure that I've drawn a 4 or 5 from a legend to know which favorite to give me.
  • killerkoala
    killerkoala Posts: 1,185 Chairperson of the Boards
    colorless cover has been begged for since the begining of this game. i hope they try and implement it before any other fix.
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    colorless cover has been begged for since the begining of this game. i hope they try and implement it before any other fix.

It needs to happen sometime. I really don't care the order, just do it. I just drew my first unusable cover from their all new all different draw system. blackflag.pngicon_katebishop.png . Mine is of course is already

blueflag.png 3
    blackflag.png 5
    purpleflag.png 4

icon_evil.gif

Aside from being a pain for old characters, it doesn't fix for the new ones the things we've been pleading with devs to fix.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Magic wrote:
    @cthulu and @Brigby who is lurking at the forum while I write this.

Please make sure that the development team doesn't rush into any decisions. I hope they will focus on multiple angles while trying to sort out this storm.

-snip-
    Hi Magic. Rest assured, we will definitely be taking the appropriate amount of time to analyze all the feedback from the community, in order to identify the best solution possible.
    (The community gave a LOT of feedback, so this might take some time. icon_eek.gif )
  • CNash
    CNash Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    Magic wrote:
    We are clearly carrot people in the forum so don't overuse the stick. (just check the reception of Coulsdon Pve that took most developed players under 10 minutes and yet they are happy with it).

Respectfully... who are "stick people"?
  • rc35
    rc35 Posts: 62 Match Maker
    I'll quickly add my voice to the chorus:

+1 for the Bonus Heroes part of the change (though 5% is too low IMHO)
    +1 for Cthulu's & Brigby's communication - many thanks
    -10 for the vaulting

I hope for positive change.
  • killerkoala
    killerkoala Posts: 1,185 Chairperson of the Boards
    "if" they were to do anything to change characters in tokens. it'd take more that a hot fix. it'd take time to code and we'd have to wait for a big patch day so minimum it be 3 weeks since next patch is next week.
  • astrp3
    astrp3 Posts: 367 Mover and Shaker
    Magic wrote:
    We are clearly carrot people in the forum...

Carrot people? Darn you, Magic, you've let the cat out of the bag. Say your goodbyes now.

"You still don't get it, do you, boys? There ain't no countries anymore, no more good guys. The carrot people are running the whole show! They own everything, the whole tinykitty planet. They can do whatever they want!" (classic movie reference alert)
  • Wonko33
    Wonko33 Posts: 985 Critical Contributor
    Sorry if someone said this but 39 pages man!

It would be great if the favored heroes were added to the current pool as well, I think it would eliminate all the vault complaining.

Maybe they could limit how many heroes we can favor to compensate or something.
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    firethorne wrote:
    Yes. If you have something that is only marginally less janky, and you can hammer out in a week, versus a much more healthy solution that would take a few months to figure out, by all means, take your time. It would be better to take your time and really think everything though thoroughly instead of throwing something out that seems half-baked. That's why you're in this situation in the first place.

I think the big priority in this thread is letting you know reducing the rate of old character acquisition to one out of 20 draws is completely unacceptable to many players, and trying to get some sort of understanding on why you didn't think it was a problem.

Given they rushed through the change with no apparent thought of the consequences on most players, why not a quick fix of two types of each LT, one like it is now and another how they were under the old system, this would be an ideal short-term fix while they decide if something more elegant is required. They have even split the LT onto two pages so there is easily enough room for a change like this.
  • whycantwesyncpc
    whycantwesyncpc Posts: 188 Tile Toppler
    Crowl wrote:
    firethorne wrote:
    Yes. If you have something that is only marginally less janky, and you can hammer out in a week, versus a much more healthy solution that would take a few months to figure out, by all means, take your time. It would be better to take your time and really think everything though thoroughly instead of throwing something out that seems half-baked. That's why you're in this situation in the first place.

I think the big priority in this thread is letting you know reducing the rate of old character acquisition to one out of 20 draws is completely unacceptable to many players, and trying to get some sort of understanding on why you didn't think it was a problem.

Given they rushed through the change with no apparent thought of the consequences on most players, why not a quick fix of two types of each LT, one like it is now and another how they were under the old system, this would be an ideal short-term fix while they decide if something more elegant is required. They have even split the LT onto two pages so there is easily enough room for a change like this.

I'd image it would be that easy if it were just legendary tokens that were that way, but I'm sure the other tokens probably would be a bit more work although I know I'd be happy if those went back to the way they were before the change, although I'm sure some coding would have to be done to get them to work with the bonus hero stuff. Bottom line I think it's more work than any of us realize
  • DesertTortoise
    DesertTortoise Posts: 392 Mover and Shaker
    I don't really hate the vaulting, but I'd prefer if it were rolled back or we were given more freedom regarding it. Thanks to Brigby and Cthulhu for letting us know that the variety of feedback in this thread is being looked at.
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,178 Chairperson of the Boards
    Jaedenkaal wrote:
    We the players have been discussing solutions all weekend and the one that seems to be getting the most universal praise, and that will help solve the problem you were trying to address (dilution) without impacting your bottom line (financially speaking) is to add the older vaulted legends to the classic packs and leave the newest in the latest packs. This will allow those who complain of dilution and want to catch up faster a route to do so by buying latest packs that have a smaller pool to draw from. Those who don't mind dilution and want to work on covering older characters can do so with the classic packs. Both customers can utilize the very occasional bonus heroes (universally loved without the vaulting, by the way) to fill in the gaps.

If they do this, be prepared for Classics to cost 25 CP as well.

I'm not arguing that they should, I'm just saying. The argument in favour of this solution is that the older characters are at least as valuable to us as the new ones, so I'd get ready to pay as much for them.

I think the 25/20 split still makes sense. In theory, buying from the Latest store includes a pool of characters that, for many players, are newer and therefore you're more likely to draw a cover for a character or color that's undercovered. Consider it paying a little bit of a premium to be less likely to have a wasted cover.

Drawing from Classics includes characters that have been around longer, therefore the chance of drawing a dupe is more likely, which could be wasteful (unless you have a healthy stable of champs).