New Feature: Bonus Heroes! *Updated (3/1/17)

Comments

• Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,782 Chairperson of the Boards
    Pants1000 wrote:

Overall I think it's more good than bad. I wish I hadn't recently champed Carnage and IW though...

I was incredibly close to champing IW and the Thing. Won't bother for now. Reworks on older toons will be a waste of time too, so saves them some work icon_e_biggrin.gif

It depresses me that even if I have 5 covers to go on a classic 4* it will take me 100 token pulls with only that toon set as Fav to cover them and that's if I don't get colour locked.

How I thought bonus was going to happen:

All the characters would stay available and you selected a bonus hero, say OML. If you got a bonus when you drew say a yellow OML it gave you a bonus black or red. So even if you were colour blocked you had another chance. If you needed both you got both.
  • Kevin61
    Kevin61 Posts: 256 Mover and Shaker
    edited March 2017
    Brigby wrote:
    Bonus Heroes
    We are excited to announce that starting today, Bonus Heroes is available to all players who are at S.H.I.E.L.D. Rank 8 or higher! Bonus Heroes offers players additional covers for characters that they have chosen as their favorite characters. Also, starting with Bonus Heroes, we will be removing some characters from packs to help players build stronger rosters faster.
    BonusHeroes.png
    Every time you open a pack, you will have a chance (5% for single packs and 8% per draw of a 10x/40x pack) to get a Bonus Hero. When you get a Bonus Hero, you will receive a cover of a favorite character you have chosen in rarity of the cover that you drew. For example, if you draw an Iron Man (Hulk Buster) and receive a Bonus Hero, you will get a cover from any 4-Stars you have marked as your favorite.

[...]

Not really working as intended. I opened a Heroic token yesterday and received a Black Panther blue cover. The bonus cover I received was Vision yellow. I did not select Vision as one of my favorites (although I do have both of those characters champed so the covers just added a level to each). According to what Brigby explained above, I was supposed to receive a cover for one of the 3*'s I marked as favorite, right??
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,782 Chairperson of the Boards
    Why not just create a new token and put all those retired 4* in for 10CP with no 5* chance. Hell maybe even for 5CP. I would gladly give up the 5* game for a chance to cover and champ my favourite 4*s.

Again I have no interest in your 5* game as it stands and the scaling for PVE. A 4* game suits me, we never even got to 4* PVP, imagine how crippling that would be if you can't get the covers easily enough.

Give me a 5 or 10cp retired hero token and I will shut up, oh and stick all the 3*s back in. You came up with the champion system, not me. Don't take half of it away even on rotation.
  • PeeOne
    PeeOne Posts: 237 Tile Toppler
    One of my alliance members has asked why Yelena is "limited" when selecting favourites

Anyone able to help?
  • Magic
    Magic Posts: 1,199 Chairperson of the Boards
    For a player who intended to champion all this change is bad. And I mean vaulting of heroes. The bonus is always good.

Looking at my list of 23 championed 4* i could have easily saved 2-3M ISO on them. IW or Ant-Man will never get a bonus cover. The iso remains a major problem. You are getting covers for new heroes so quickly that there is no way to champion them. I am back to the pre-championing mind set - focus on the ones you like (in current pool - Carlo, Medusa, Kate, Peggy and Moonknight plus Coulson when Kate and M rotate out) and sell the rest for iso. I will not get iso quick enough to champion Wasps and Agents of the world. And I don't like this. I prefered the system when I can slowly but surely build up all the 4*.

The new distribution means also you will get loads of extra covers for 4* before they are maxed covered (my Medusa is 5-3-3 with one cover on the vine already and only 80k ISO - i will have to sell many more yellow covers before she is maxed covered and ready for championing). The iso shortage will block players from championing all.

Another gut punch is halting the championing rewards flow (especially from 3* but also 4*). Hate this part as well.

There seems to be a lot of arbitrary decisions. And when Brigby says they are looking into our feedback it clearly shows what the Developers do wrong. They should have consulted the change with the forum (both veterans and transitioners and begginers). Seems like they have only talked with their managers (i mean whales, sorry). The managers got what they wanted and then some (this includes easier acquisition of new characters which in reality is less money for the Devs as they don't need to buy that many tokens; it also includes hamstringing any competition).

@Yelena question - she is out of the tokens as the weakest and most useless 1 star. They just maintained that status.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Magic wrote:
    There seems to be a lot of arbitrary decisions. And when Brigby says they are looking into our feedback it clearly shows what the Developers do wrong. They should have consulted the change with the forum (both veterans and transitioners and begginers).
    No, they shouldn't.
    95% of the people in here have no idea what is good for the game, only what's good for THEM, personally.

The times devs listen directly to forum input instead of implementing stuff we get weird decisions based on a microscopic number of posts that managed to catch a dev's attention at the wrong time - I'm still wondering why PVE end times needed to shift so that European players are basically forced to play S2.

What the devs SHOULD do, and what they seems to be doing, is listen to feedback, and implement some changes.
    Jury is still out if they do that for this feature.
  • Yoik
    Yoik Posts: 251 Mover and Shaker
    Kevin61 wrote:

Not really working as intended. I opened a Heroic token yesterday and received a Black Panther blue cover. The bonus cover I received was Vision yellow. I did not select Vision as one of my favorites (although I do have both of those characters champed so the covers just added a level to each). According to what Brigby explained above, I was supposed to receive a cover for one of the 3*'s I marked as favorite, right??

This. A friend of mine does not have any 3 stars marked as a bonus. However when they pulled from an event token they were provided a sentry cover as a bonus cover.

Can it be clarified please? Is it an extra chance for the covers you have marked ONLY? If so then its not working as intended and making up a choice on 3 stars it seems too.

OR is it an extra chance for A cover based upon the pull but if you mark a toon as a bonus then there is a slightly higher chance of getting it? Although that doesn't make sense now ive re read that.

How is it supposed to work please?
  • Lukoil
    Lukoil Posts: 266 Mover and Shaker
    Tony Foot wrote:
    Why not just create a new token and put all those retired 4* in for 10CP with no 5* chance. Hell maybe even for 5CP. I would gladly give up the 5* game for a chance to cover and champ my favourite 4*s.

Again I have no interest in your 5* game as it stands and the scaling for PVE. A 4* game suits me, we never even got to 4* PVP, imagine how crippling that would be if you can't get the covers easily enough.

Give me a 5 or 10cp retired hero token and I will shut up, oh and stick all the 3*s back in. You came up with the champion system, not me. Don't take half of it away even on rotation.
    In the video realated to Bonus Heroes they metioned, that soon there will be no scaling based on your roster. Scaling will be based on Clearence Level. So it will be static. CL8 will be for rosters with good 4* rosters. It would be hard for non-developed 4* rosters and for developed 5* roster it should be trivial. I guess they will tie this with CL9+ release.

here the link:
    https://youtu.be/DHwwOZrq62Y?t=237
  • Blergh
    Blergh Posts: 159 Tile Toppler
    Yoik wrote:
    Kevin61 wrote:

This. A friend of mine does not have any 3 stars marked as a bonus. However when they pulled from an event token they were provided a sentry cover as a bonus cover.

Can it be clarified please? Is it an extra chance for the covers you have marked ONLY? If so then its not working as intended and making up a choice on 3 stars it seems too.

OR is it an extra chance for A cover based upon the pull but if you mark a toon as a bonus then there is a slightly higher chance of getting it? Although that doesn't make sense now ive re read that.

If you pull a three star you get an additional three star as a bonus occasionally. If you haven't set a three star as a favourite it will choose randomly.

Four stars, trigger four star bonus.

Five stars, five star.

So you should heart across all tiers.

They also choose for you to begin with so you have to deselect those.

I think thats the gist of it isnt it? I maybe mistaken myself though.
  • smoq84
    smoq84 Posts: 421 Mover and Shaker
    For me this feature looks great.

Today I had two bonus covers:
    - 4* X-23 red cover which was my unicorn for a looong time
    - 5* OML - it great to again have a chance for one of Classic 5*'s while pulling from Latest

I can see that having only 12 latest 4* in the packs is not the best idea. You don't get the older characters, and to get newest really fast now, so the ISO shortage hits harder.
    But on the other hand we have better control what we pull from tokens, now you can better prepare for what can happen, make some strategic decisions and decide to hoard or not to hoard.

This feature is not ideal, but in the end I find it very useful because it makes pulling from tokens less random. And randomness was always the worst thing in the game, right? icon_e_wink.gif
  • whitecat31
    whitecat31 Posts: 579 Critical Contributor
    whitecat31 wrote:
    Did the draw rate from opening a single Legendary Token to get a 5 star drop from 15% to 14.25%? I am aware that the bonus chance of 0.75% exist and that in theory a person could draw two five star characters from a single token exist.
    I've received confirmation from the dev team via PM that the token odds for 5* have not changed. They are just exploring alternative methods of displaying the odds in packs.
    Jamie I have already established that 14.25% + 0.75% is 15 %. That is the TOTAL token odds of 15%. The total draw rate is different than a singular draw rate. May I ask what was the specific question in the pm, and what was the specific answer? Because if the singular draw rate did not change, that means the new total draw rate is 15.75%. If they lowered the singular draw rate to 14.25% than the total draw rate has not changed due to the bonus of 0.75%.
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    KGB wrote:
    The system could be improved a lot by simply rotating the characters every season. So the 20 3*s would flip every season. The 4* would rotate on a 4 season basis (first 12 released, second 12 released, third 12 released, latest 12 released and as more 4* get introduced over time the 12 could become 13 when there are 52 4* and so on).

That way someone who wanted older characters could simply wait until the appropriate season to open tokens.

No offence, but that would be almost as terrible as the current system, a vastly simpler solution would be two versions of the classic and latest tokens, one of each having the truncated list and one having the full list, let people choose whether they want all 4*s or not and would do so without forcing them to one group of 5*s or the other since plenty of people might want latest 5*s and all 4*s. For other tokens, they could go with the truncated 4* list as they are now as they are relatively rare from them, but it would help to address the issue of new characters being unusable for 6 months.

If they wanted to let people focus on particular characters then rather than us just choosing who could show up as a bonus, let us pick who would join the newest 12 as a regular pull from the LT e.g. we could pick say 8 older characters and then the tokens would be newest 12 plus those.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Crowl wrote:
    KGB wrote:
    The system could be improved a lot by simply rotating the characters every season. So the 20 3*s would flip every season. The 4* would rotate on a 4 season basis (first 12 released, second 12 released, third 12 released, latest 12 released and as more 4* get introduced over time the 12 could become 13 when there are 52 4* and so on).

That way someone who wanted older characters could simply wait until the appropriate season to open tokens.

No offence, but that would be almost as terrible as the current system, a vastly simpler solution would be two versions of the classic and latest tokens, one of each having the truncated list and one having the full list, let people choose whether they want all 4*s or not and would do so without forcing them to one group of 5*s or the other since plenty of people might want latest 5*s and all 4*s. For other tokens, they could go with the truncated 4* list as they are now as they are relatively rare from them, but it would help to address the issue of new characters being unusable for 6 months.

If they wanted to let people focus on particular characters then rather than us just choosing who could show up as a bonus, let us pick who would join the newest 12 as a regular pull from the LT e.g. we could pick say 8 older characters and then the tokens would be newest 12 plus those.

A 2 token system seems like the most sensible way to introduce this new system.

Latest tokens contain:
    Latest twelve 4* characters
    Latest three 5* Characters

Classic token contains:
    Everyone else
  • Magic
    Magic Posts: 1,199 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2017
    Bowgentle wrote:
    Magic wrote:
    There seems to be a lot of arbitrary decisions. And when Brigby says they are looking into our feedback it clearly shows what the Developers do wrong. They should have consulted the change with the forum (both veterans and transitioners and begginers).
    No, they shouldn't.
    95% of the people in here have no idea what is good for the game, only what's good for THEM, personally.

The times devs listen directly to forum input instead of implementing stuff we get weird decisions based on a microscopic number of posts that managed to catch a dev's attention at the wrong time - I'm still wondering why PVE end times needed to shift so that European players are basically forced to play S2.

What the devs SHOULD do, and what they seems to be doing, is listen to feedback, and implement some changes.
    Jury is still out if they do that for this feature.

I agree with you about the 95% (maybe I would be more generous and said 90%) but this feature should have been consulted anyway. What would they lose if we were aware in advance (say a week - you won't hoard enough tokens to change the economy of the game with bonus pulls)? What would they lose if we were informed about the changes and we were informed about the reasons behind them. I like to see myself as a reasonable guy so I would be open to their argumentation. I still am open to it - I would love to listen to devs now with all 20+ pages of feedback. I just think that explaining things in advance create much better impression of the development team. Even if in the end they would do what they did.

ps. I am in the team "meh+" for this change. I guess I will sell a lot of 4* covers for ISO and I will play with the heroes I like. I will not bother to champion them all as now there is literally no incentive to do it. But that is ok since the ones I like will grow more.

ps.2 Coincidentally the 95% of people who don't know what is good for the game is the same number as the probability you will not get a bonus pull from the new feature. If the devs think that 5% chance is good enough to make us excited they should have listened to the 5% and find out what we (arbitrarily I put myself in that group icon_e_wink.gif) think.
  • Crowl
    Pants1000 wrote:
    I can see the downsides too. 4* champ rewards will be slower for the next couple months, until I get into a rhythm with most of the new 4's champed. My older 4's that are 5/5/2 or similar may be stuck there for a loooooong time, and some 4's that I like (but aren't top 5) will gain champ levels very slowly.

Actually 4* champ rewards will be slower from now on, you will be stuck in a cycle of getting a new one to the lower echelons of the champ rewards before they too are removed from the tokens and grind to a halt, due to iso limitations you will also end up wasting a lot more covers as less of your covers would go to champed characters (and champ rewards) and it will be vastly easier to get lopsided 1/1/5 characters too.
  • Crowl
    Yoik wrote:
    Kevin61 wrote:

If you do not have any characters marked for a particular tier then you will get a random cover, you will not get a cover from a higher or lower tier if you do not have one listed.

They are not going to give you a 4*/5* as a bonus just because you haven't chosen any 3*s, so they give you a random one instead.
  • Crowl
    A 2 token system seems like the most sensible way to introduce this new system.

Latest tokens contain:
    Latest twelve 4* characters
    Latest three 5* Characters

Classic token contains:
    Everyone else

Not offering a token with latest 5*s and all the 4*s seems a needless limitation, why not let people continue to build in the most efficient way prior to this new system i.e. draw latest legends in order to get usable 5*s in a reasonable time period while building a depth of 4* roster by having all covers available to them.
  • Blergh
    Blergh Posts: 159 Tile Toppler
    Crowl wrote:
    Pants1000 wrote:
    I can see the downsides too. 4* champ rewards will be slower for the next couple months, until I get into a rhythm with most of the new 4's champed. My older 4's that are 5/5/2 or similar may be stuck there for a loooooong time, and some 4's that I like (but aren't top 5) will gain champ levels very slowly.

Actually 4* champ rewards will be slower from now on, you will be stuck in a cycle of getting a new one to the lower echelons of the champ rewards before they too are removed from the tokens and grind to a halt, due to iso limitations you will also end up wasting a lot more covers as less of your covers would go to champed characters (and champ rewards) and it will be vastly easier to get lopsided 1/1/5 characters too.

I don't think people realise how quickly they are going to get the selected 12 to 13 covers.

I mean I've never horded. And with the larger 4 star pool most of those 12 characters are sitting between 13 - 9. The lowest being Riri at 2/2/3 and Captain Marvel at 1/3/4. But the next two newest are Medusa at 5/3/3 and Venom 5/2/4.

With the odds of getting these characters lowered I'll be looking at having them all fully covered most probably very soon. With pvp and PVE progression I could be getting two a week easily from latest. And I expect thats an under estimate without taking nodes/ddp/champ rewards into account.

Thid means soon I'll have absolutely no incentive to use CP or draw legendary tokens beyond the hopes of a five star.

I am already creating queues due to getting dupe colours at five - which creates a greater emphasis to horde.

Even with the two rotating out I think its going to come to a point for most people who meet progression that they'll have all but the newest four fully covered but no iso to champ them.

Meaning horde CP and Legendaries are going to become increasingly necessary to avoid waste. Thinking about 2 -3 seasons will be the norm, to build iso and allow in four to six new under cover 4s to champ. As below this point the cost-benefit will be too low.

Although, might be reading the sitution wrong.
  • PeeOne
    PeeOne Posts: 237 Tile Toppler
    Last night I marked BP and Doc Strange and GSBW IN 3* land (a couple of 4s too) pulled all the 3's as bonuses covers. So it worked for me

Tonight I didn't even get a bonus cover
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Blergh wrote:
    Crowl wrote:
    Pants1000 wrote:

I don't think people realise how quickly they are going to get the selected 12 to 13 covers.

I mean I've never horded. And with the larger 4 star pool most of those 12 characters are sitting between 13 - 9. The lowest being Riri at 2/2/3 and Captain Marvel at 1/3/4. But the next two newest are Medusa at 5/3/3 and Venom 5/2/4.

With the odds of getting these characters lowered I'll be looking at having them all fully covered most probably very soon. With pvp and PVE progression I could be getting two a week easily from latest. And I expect thats an under estimate without taking nodes/ddp/champ rewards into account.

Thid means soon I'll have absolutely no incentive to use CP or draw legendary tokens beyond the hopes of a five star.

I am already creating queues due to getting dupe colours at five - which creates a greater emphasis to horde.

Even with the two rotating out I think its going to come to a point for most people who meet progression that they'll have all but the newest four fully covered but no iso to champ them.

Meaning horde CP and Legendaries are going to become increasingly necessary to avoid waste. Thinking about 2 -3 seasons will be the norm, to build iso and allow in four to six new under cover 4s to champ. As below this point the cost-benefit will be too low.

Although, might be reading the sitution wrong.

This is my take on it as well. This is likely to increase hoarding, not slow it.