PVP Matchmaking: A Discussion

Comments

• j0nats
    j0nats Posts: 149 Tile Toppler
    2 cents worth from a 4* roster and 3 360 5s:

Climb to 900, doable (im40 4cyc 4dp), climb to 1200 deplorable.

However, 5* teams seem to be shielded from this slog at the high end of the progression ladder, basing on the leaderboard in my bracket.
  • shusheshe
    shusheshe Posts: 45 Just Dropped In
    I'm in mid-4* transition (with 11 champed 4*s, no 5* with more than 7 covers) and a full stable of maxed 3*s.

I'm feeling a bit conflicted about the mmr in matchmaking. On one hand, it's a easy climb to 900 without # (and the first time I've been able to do it since they nixed CCs). On the other other hand, everything after 500 points is worth less than 30 points, and everything after 900 is worth < 10 points, so it was a bit tedious. I was whacking down 2* rosters up until 300s, then 3* and incomplete 4* rosters after that.
  • Magic
    Magic Posts: 1,199 Chairperson of the Boards
    Sign me up on list of people who like the new MMR (even if it's a bug and will go away soon). Yesterday I have cruised to 600 points (on 38+ worth targets almost without skips). I have been floating there for good 10 hours now before I push again to 900+. What's not to like?
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    What a weird PvP. I loved climbing, just 40-50 targets, but easy fights and a LOT of different teams and people to fight (no need to double tap, etc.). But now that I am at 1100 I can't find targets for more than 10 points. It is going to be a loooooong run from where I am to 1200.

The good thing is that because I run a team of champed 5s I have been attacked just once, in a counterattack, and he lost the match (sorry :S). I can't see other champed 5 teams or the other guys above me in the board, and I guess that they can't see me either. I managed to see one team (just one) with 3 pool, switch, and champed PH (so I guess he was grilling), and I guess I was able to see him because he was using two 3s which obviously reduced his average level A LOT. So I guess this is how some people has managed to get to 2000 etc.

If in the future we could see the teams I am seeing in this event AND the teams I usually see it would be fantastic for everybody. I think this is the way to go for the future of PvP. Devs really need to open a little bit the MMR rating.

PS: I obviously love the new progression rewards at 1050 and others.
  • I'm a 3* player, and I'm generally able to consistently hit 725 for the hero points and get the 800 cover when I really want it. This event, I haven't even gotten the 650 reward yet; every time I reach the 600 level, I get hit 3-4x by the same 4* buffed players and get knocked down to ~550 where I don't get hit anymore. I'm just using health packs and spinning my wheels to go +20 and then -17, -15, -13. Personally, I'm really feeling a glass ceiling and I'm not enjoying it at all.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    broll wrote:
    Crnch73 wrote:
    I just skipped around 65 times and I finally stopped. I am shielded near 750, and I found 3 matches worth double digits! One is 10 points, one is 17, and the other is 12...

so that climb to 900 looks impossible, because I just know that when I unshield to play the 10 matches it will require just to get above 800, I will almost certainly get whaled

That's odd. I got to 900 for the second time ever in my MPQ career and found it super easy.

My experience went like this:
    Started on a fresh bracket within the first few hours of event start.
    Hit until I was out of health packs which was just over 600.
    On that climbed I found much fewer 50+, more common was 20-49, but they were also much weaker rosters than MMR usually gave me so they were much easier/quicker fights.
    I got to 600 without ever being attacked and put on a 24 hours shield, I was in the T20 at the at, probably about 13.

Yesterday I had dropped to T100, about 53. I unshieled before my 24 hours was and hit till I hit the 950 mark.
    This time the battles I choose were all closer to the 20-30 range range with the occasional 40 which was usually a stronger roster than I could feel comfortable winning.
    I went through a round or 2 where my point values dropped sub 20, but with 10ish skips I found more typical ones.
    When I hit 900 I in the T10, 9 I think, and most of my battles worth either 4 or 10 points. I shielded 24 hours again.

As of right now I'm 950, rank 19 with 20 hours to go and 10 left on my shield. My default targets without skipping show 5, 14, & 17, with rosters fairly close to mine. I skipped around 20ish times and saw more of the same, highest was 17 still. But ultimately I personally am fine with that where I'm at. I can see why some people wouldn't be. As long as I get T50 I'm fine.

So my experience last night was a little different. My shield was expiring I was at 950 and still ranked about 21. I found 3 targets of 20, 17, & 13. Unshieled and beat them, most of my options were in less than 10 but I was able to find a teen hear and there. I had one target that was 20 when I hit fight but dropped to 5 by the time I won, which was super annoying. I was getting up to win a fight or two of 1050 when I fought someone with 10 points which should not have brought me over that threshold. However when I won I got 30 points for it so I was excited for a second thinking I hit 1050, nope, I took 88 points from 2 attacks and was now below 950 (947). Since I was right about when I started and still in the top 25 I decided to re-shield before I lost any more.

Event is almost over now and I'm at 30 something so I think I'm just gonna stay shielded and take the T50 prize rather then try and fight down any further.

Since deadpools were listed as the likely cause of the wonky MMR I'm gonna call out that I exclusively use my personal 3* champed deadpool. I never used the loaner of either nor my level 70 non-champed XFDP.
  • Fightmastermpq
    Fightmastermpq Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    This event is just so bizarre. Only being able to queue targets worth <20 points means that you have to find targets that are a full tier below you - i.e. they can't win a retal against you. Because if you leave a 50-60pt retal when your target is swimming in a sea of 4 pt seals they are probably going to take it even if there is a high probability of wiping. The high number of strong boosted characters makes this even tougher. I actually shield checked a couple guys before hitting them for 5-10 points because I didn't want to leave them a massive retal against me. Finally, being a Deadpool event with a boosted SWitch means that anyone you beat could easily just drop some whales on you if they decided they needed your points to hit a progression target.
  • Rick_OShay
    Rick_OShay Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    Have any of you started the Mordo PvP to see if things are normal there?
  • Ebolamonkey84
    Ebolamonkey84 Posts: 509 Critical Contributor
    I use 2 5* champs with the featured. I could not start queuing teams at my level until I passed 1400 in s5. Before that, I climbed off the backs of grills and 3-4* players.
  • Alsmir
    Alsmir Posts: 508 Critical Contributor
    My bracket sucks.
    After 600 points (at ~top 20) I was only able to get <10 point targets. Climbed to 630, got hit by 2 whales back to 595. Then I realised one of them is worth 56 points so I just ordered my Deadpool to drop al the whales on him (hah, irony).
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    This event is hellish because of the fact that the closer I get to the 4 star, the more people keep hitting me for pretty incredible amounts vs whats available. Losing 30 is no big deal normally but it's huge when the highest values available are 9.

Also how the hell do shields work, I don't like seeing myself lose points after applying it.
    Otherwise why use the HP?

The shield system can't work especially if they screw up the MMR like this ever again. Its stupid to see like 4 minutes expire on my shield and still lose points, because everyone i desperately searching for any match above 3 points.
  • Fightmastermpq
    GurlBYE wrote:
    This event is hellish because of the fact that the closer I get to the 4 star, the more people keep hitting me for pretty incredible amounts vs whats available. Losing 30 is no big deal normally but it's huge when the highest values available are 9.

Also how the hell do shields work, I don't like seeing myself lose points after applying it.

The shield system can't work especially if they screw up the MMR like this ever again. Its stupid to see like 4 minutes expire on my shield and still lose points, because everyone i desperately searching for any match above 3 points.
    FYI, always check the leaderboard after you shield and make sure your name has the shield indicator, otherwise there could be a slight delay and you could get hit as you wait for the server to update your status. Checking the board pushes that status update to the server for you.
  • Alsmir
    Alsmir Posts: 508 Critical Contributor
    GurlBYE wrote:

FYI, always check the leaderboard after you shield and make sure your name has the shield indicator, otherwise there could be a slight delay and you could get hit as you wait for the server to update your status. Checking the board pushes that status update to the server for you.

I did that and still managed to drop 49 points from 3 different attacks.
  • GurlBYE
    Alsmir wrote:
    GurlBYE wrote:

I did that and still managed to drop 49 points from 3 different attacks.

Yeah I was going to say, um I appeared shielded and checked the leader board to see who i could try and queue up.

And because of the MMR and the time left in event the only people that can see me know are the full 4 and 5 champ teams that I can't at all counter.

So good times.
    Good times.

Best most of the people attacking me have red hulk with 5 purple or rhulk champed
    Which blows, because i just want him and then I'd let myself become a point pinata.

But people won't let me get there before attacking
  • Crnch73
    Crnch73 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    GurlBYE wrote:
    This event is hellish because of the fact that the closer I get to the 4 star, the more people keep hitting me for pretty incredible amounts vs whats available. Losing 30 is no big deal normally but it's huge when the highest values available are 9...

This. So much this. This is what my path looked like:

- started 1 hour into the event. climbed from zero to about 550 with no issues. Most teams were in the 20-35 point range, which seemed wonky, but no big deal.

- Went to bed unshielded, assuming I would lose a few matches but no big deal. Wrong, I got hit for about 190. Oh well, back to it then.

- Climbed up to about 700, started finding nothing but 7 point matches. Got hit by a whale with champed OML, boosted champ 4clops into the 400's, same with Xpool. lost 45 points, shielded.

- while shielded, kept searching for new matches, couldn't queue anyone up worth more than 10. Waited 2 hours, tried again same thing. So when the shield expired, decided I just needed points. Played a lot of 10 point matches, got up to about 790.

- Since I couldn't find anything worthwhile, I just decided to hit any team that I found. I felt bad because some were dinky teams, but I had no options. I actually got up to 860, then I got attacked by a ton of whale players with 2X 5* champs and champ xpool. back to 700 points. shielded

- shield runs out, more of the same. I have climbed from 700 to about 850 three separate times, only to be crushed upon reaching that high... immediately too, before I could even shield.

So, I decided to give up. The second PVP in a row where I have given up on the 4* reward because I can not find any matches worth more than 8 points but can get hit by 5* players for over 40 points a whack. Over the last two PVP events, I probably lost close to 2500-3000 points on defense. The idiot I am, I kept trying to recoup those losses and get the 4* rewards, but I could never get to quake and will never get to RHulk. At this point, even when they eventually fix it, I will still feel cheated out of those covers. I know not to hope for CS to help me get them back (I can't even truly claim I deserve them), but without the covers in my possession, I feel like the developers' bug has robbed me.
  • y2fitzy
    y2fitzy Posts: 255 Mover and Shaker
    This is my second PvP back after an eight month hiatus. I'm into 3* transition, so have a bunch of teams at about level 130.

Last time out, hit 500 easy. Only after that did I get hit at all, but still.got the CP reward and finished above 500 without shielding

This time, I'm just getting smashed by 4 and 5 star rosters constantly. Can't even get above 300 for more than five minutes.

Whatever this is, it's not a lot of fun
  • JablesMc
    JablesMc Posts: 235 Tile Toppler
    y2fitzy wrote:
    This is my second PvP back after an eight month hiatus. I'm into 3* transition, so have a bunch of teams at about level 130.

Last time out, hit 500 easy. Only after that did I get hit at all, but still.got the CP reward and finished above 500 without shielding

This time, I'm just getting smashed by 4 and 5 star rosters constantly. Can't even get above 300 for more than five minutes.

This right here is EXACTLY what concerns me.

Whether or not I get to 900 for a cover this time, if lower tiered players just get smashed for trying to do anything, well, I fear we're isolating the newer players who could increase the longevity of this game.
  • GurlBYE
    y2fitzy wrote:

Basically they screwed up MMR due to two deadpools (we assume) and because of it, everyone could only find players below them, not above or on the level of.

So everyone is attacking you because you are all they see.

I literally had a point where i spent 500 iso avoiding a 2 star player because i already hit them twice. (got my first 4 champ and he happens to be boosted)
  • Crnch73
    Crnch73 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    GurlBYE wrote:
    y2fitzy wrote:

Basically they screwed up MMR due to two deadpools (we assume) and because of it, everyone could only find players below them, not above or on the level of.

I literally had a point where i spent 500 iso avoiding a 2 star player because i already hit them twice. (got my first 4 champ and he happens to be boosted)

here's what I don't get... this happened during Eye for an Eye (3* cyclops PVP) as well. So what was their excuse for it then?
  • Fightmastermpq
    Crnch73 wrote:
    GurlBYE wrote:
    y2fitzy wrote:

here's what I don't get... this happened during Eye for an Eye (3* cyclops PVP) as well. So what was their excuse for it then?
    This didn't happen during Eye for an Eye. Points were suppressed in S4 because a couple top alliances went to war there during Eye for an Eye. This was a completely different situation.