PVP Matchmaking: A Discussion

Daiches
Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
edited February 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
MMR in PVP Matchmaking event is totally messed up from personal account and according to reports from all shards.

I haven't been able to Q anything else than lower rosters. Even at 1k this early.

Comments

• Ludaa
    Ludaa Posts: 542
    You mean it's extra fun and a relief from the torturous norm! Dang old whistleblowers manitellyouwhat.
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,791 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yep we have all had to climb from seeds on tiny rosters. I am now at 700 and cannot find a match higher than 10 points and as a player with 4* champs I shouldn't be hitting on 2 and 3 star rosters over and over.

We cannot queue each other of similar strength. The only people who have been able to hit me have been the mega whales. Loads of smaller rosters must be wondering what the hell is happening.
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    It did seem uncharacteristically low to me in my shard too. I honestly didn't mind the opening climb. Though, I did start feeling bad double tapping (okay maybe triple) a team with 2*'s and a loaner Deadpool when it was one of a very few giving reasonable points. Now I'm above the 650 point mark and am struggling to find anything worthwhile. Almost everything is single digit point gains. Granted, it is only day one. But, it does seem like there is a slight disturbance in the force. I have no problem with easy matches. But, not if they're worth 5 points.
  • I'm not complaining. It's a nice break from the norm of seeing nothing but championed OML, Phoenix and Black Bolt.
  • WelcomeDeath
    WelcomeDeath Posts: 349 Mover and Shaker
    Heres a question to those who say you shouldnt be able to find lower rosters: Why the **** not? Base it on score alone, let your roster determine how far you can get.
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    Heres a question to those who say you shouldnt be able to find lower rosters: Why the tinykitty not? Base it on score alone, let your roster determine how far you can get.

My only problem with this is how scores work. Lots of players that aren't as far along have been conditioned to hit the midpoint CP reward and bail. They've had some truly demoralizing experiences pushing beyond.

So, right now I'm my bracket, only 8 people have cleared 500 points. If I'm only being shown teams with scores of 400, there's then no reasonable way for me to get to 900, because all of the matches are worth 5 points.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,700 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah, the initial climb was fun, but at 700 pts I can't see trying to win 40 matches in a row just to get to 900.
  • Joe_Smoke
    Joe_Smoke Posts: 10 Just Dropped In
    As a player with a 2* roster it's certainly been suckier than normal getting hammered by champed 3-4*s when I try to climb even just to 400.
  • xdogg
    xdogg Posts: 334 Mover and Shaker
    I have a pretty good 4* roster, I climbed to 800 points basically fighting easy 3* teams, then I started seeing teams closer to my level, I was still able to find teams worth 30 or 40 points, so I got to a little over 900 and shielded
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Heres a question to those who say you shouldnt be able to find lower rosters: Why the tinykitty not? Base it on score alone, let your roster determine how far you can get.
    It's certainly a fairer option from some perspectives, but then they really need to make progression make sense for how far players of certain tiers can be expected to get, and they need to do this without creating a system that funnels new players directly into a grain thresher. A game newbies can't play is one that will die due to an ever-shrinking player base.

I will definitely agree that the devs often over-prioritize leveling out play so that everyone has a chance of winning, whether through MMR in PvP or scaling in PvE. But they need to do some amount of it.

The other option is to have totally separate content for different roster and player experience levels. Something like SCLs but where you can't queue someone not playing the same SCL as you. That makes a lot of conceptual sense but has at least two problems... it decreases the pool of potential opponents (which already gets constrained at times under MMR) and it increases the attractiveness of the option of playing a SCL significantly below your highest available. People gaming the SCL selection is already an issue, and they would need to seriously revamp the rewards to have it gate match challenge along with leaderboard challenge.

Similarly, it might make sense to gate enemy scaling behind SCL selection, but then 5* teams might choose to play the lowest SCL that gives them "enough" rewards if they can breeze through the matches without effort.

Major overhauls to SCL would help, but is the competitive player base even big enough? Maybe if you got rid of time slices, but that's a lot of change in one pass.

The other thing that would overhaul PvP in a big, big way would be to actually make it player vs. player in a real-time way with no AI. Matches would play more like an online CCG. You remove the ability of multiple opponents or fast single opponents to repeatedly beat a player during the time they play one match and return it to the core game of match 3 with complex skills adding strategy instead of a metagame of speed during windows of vulnerability. Again, and even moreso, it would be a huge technical change to the game.
  • WelcomeDeath
    WelcomeDeath Posts: 349 Mover and Shaker
    firethorne wrote:

My only problem with this is how scores work. Lots of players that aren't as far along have been conditioned to hit the midpoint CP reward and bail. They've had some truly demoralizing experiences pushing beyond.

So, right now I'm my bracket, only 8 people have cleared 500 points. If I'm only being shown teams with scores of 400, there's then no reasonable way for me to get to 900, because all of the matches are worth 5 points.

What does your bracket have to do with it anyway? Its all about what the slice as a whole is doing. I don't get what this has to do with this issue. Youre talking pvp scoring as a whole. Hate to say but the reason they cut and bail mid-way is because the progression awards are fundamentally broken, getting the 4* before the 3*, in essence. I'd say if you fixed it, more would push, but after having 4* basically handed to them, people would be very angry to go back to a reasonable progression, and some.may quit. Idk why it was broken to begin with.
  • pfarewell
    pfarewell Posts: 53 Match Maker
    Going from 900 to 1000 points in this event was long and boring. I never thought that q'ing a team for 17 points would be the highlight of a hop. I'm kind of dreading going back out again, hitting 7 point teams until I can finally q teams in my mmr again.
  • matthatter
    matthatter Posts: 151 Tile Toppler
    The only thing that annoys me about this is that i joined scl6 instead of scl8 thinking "who cares about 900 points. I never get there anyway". Now i have a chance of getting there and it's not a 4 star.

What cover its it anyway?
  • Rod5
    Rod5 Posts: 587 Critical Contributor
    Yes it's very strange, haven't qd an equivalent team the whole event, just tons of Baglady.
  • acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    Oh thank you for the new MMR in the PvP Matchmaking event!!

I was toying with quitting after 1100+ days of play. Then this amazing MMR change which I'm sure is a bug but one could hope it's not.

Anyway, I'll be enjoying PvP more for at least one event.
  • MarkersMake
    MarkersMake Posts: 392 Mover and Shaker
    What does your bracket have to do with it anyway? Its all about what the slice as a whole is doing. I don't get what this has to do with this issue. Youre talking pvp scoring as a whole. Hate to say but the reason they cut and bail mid-way is because the progression awards are fundamentally broken, getting the 4* before the 3*, in essence. I'd say if you fixed it, more would push, but after having 4* basically handed to them, people would be very angry to go back to a reasonable progression, and some.may quit. Idk why it was broken to begin with.
    No.

People quit at 600 because they get annihilated after 600. Cupcakes went a loooooong way towards being able to climb fast enough to get 725 or 800. And they were available to 3* players, and they were available starting in the 500s, not 900+ (since you don't seem to have followed the last thread).

Progression should be fixed, sure. But it's not the primary reason points are lower now.
  • TetsujinOni
    TetsujinOni Posts: 181 Tile Toppler
    Well, maybe you are. I can't see teams from players I can normally see when they're out, no matter what their last match team was.

Can see loops of the same few potential matches with players 400 points down my bracket, when the players who are out in my scoreboard should be 20 to 37 points to me.

I believe this should be described as "not functioning as intended".
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,791 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah there's nothing I like more playing 45 matches to climb to 500 while wailing on the equivalent of node 3 in ddq. I can't see anyone of worth and the fact that no one has hit me except two huge players who I am a minnow too says it all. My float is usually about 500, I am much higher and not getting hit. This is a bug not a change. I tried to hit 900 but backed out when I realised it would at least take me 25 matches from 700 to 900 and that's if the points didn't drop more.

I imagine it's a great change if you like wailing on tiny rosters for 20 points that can't retaliate. Which is what I always say about this game people are only happy when it's easy.
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    This has been really weird, asymptotically approaching 900, a match for over 20 is a highlight.

I have no idea why I'm not getting hit at all, perhaps championed 4* Deadpool and War Machine, and a level 209 4/4/2 Carol really are that scary. :edit: wrong stats for Carol

I also have no idea how the leader in my bracket is on nearly 2500 points.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Tony Foot wrote:
    I imagine it's a great change if you like wailing on tiny rosters for 20 points that can't retaliate. Which is what I always say about this game people are only happy when it's easy.
    It does beat only being able to queue the same 6 guys, yes.

And we're hitting for single digit points.