PVP Matchmaking: A Discussion

Comments

• Wjohnson992
    Wjohnson992 Posts: 175 Tile Toppler
    Tony Foot wrote:
    Yeah there's nothing I like more playing 45 matches to climb to 500 while wailing on the equivalent of node 3 in ddq. I can't see anyone of worth and the fact that no one has hit me except two huge players who I am a minnow too says it all. My float is usually about 500, I am much higher and not getting hit. This is a bug not a change. I tried to hit 900 but backed out when I realised it would at least take me 25 matches from 700 to 900 and that's if the points didn't drop more.

I imagine it's a great change if you like wailing on tiny rosters for 20 points that can't retaliate. Which is what I always say about this game people are only happy when it's easy.
    For rosters without Champed 5*'s/4*'s this is the same as any other pvp. If you're a lesser player and bold enough to try and push past 650ish you get hammered back down.
  • Wjohnson992
    What does your bracket have to do with it anyway? Its all about what the slice as a whole is doing. I don't get what this has to do with this issue. Youre talking pvp scoring as a whole. Hate to say but the reason they cut and bail mid-way is because the progression awards are fundamentally broken, getting the 4* before the 3*, in essence. I'd say if you fixed it, more would push, but after having 4* basically handed to them, people would be very angry to go back to a reasonable progression, and some.may quit. Idk why it was broken to begin with.
    No.

People quit at 600 because they get annihilated after 600. Cupcakes went a loooooong way towards being able to climb fast enough to get 725 or 800. And they were available to 3* players, and they were available starting in the 500s, not 900+ (since you don't seem to have followed the last thread).

Progression should be fixed, sure. But it's not the primary reason points are lower now.
    If the 10CP wasnt at 575 I simply wouldn't bother even trying that side of the app. A 3* player gets obliterated once they reach 600. Thats still happening now.
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,791 Chairperson of the Boards
    How is it the same, I cannot fight people in my bracket. From seeds to 800 I haven't seen a single player with max champed 3 stars or early 4 star transition players like myself. From 500 to 700 there were no matches more than 20 points and they were all against 2 star players. How is that fun for them or me? They cannot retaliate. Now I'm at 800 and I can't find a game more than 5 points. This is again against 2 star players.

I have been hit twice, both times by the biggest players in the game. Not because I offered any points but because they wanted to try and set up a grill.

This is not perculiar to me, every one is suffering the same rubbish in my rooms. If this is the game you want, beating up people that cannot fight back and never getting hit unless it's someone classes above you then I guess it's fun.

This is the worst match making I have seen yet. Those non champed 4 star players haven't been on my radar for a long time, now they are all I see.
  • nyck1118
    nyck1118 Posts: 106 Tile Toppler
    Right....You must not have reached the plateau where everything is worth less than 10 pts...This is pretty trash. All I can fight are people below my weight class. I've clubbed more seals than the Canadian fur industry
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Lots of xp though. I made about 150 xp on my climb to 1.2k. 1.0-1.2k was entirely on +4 point matches.
  • Wjohnson992
    edited February 2017
    fmftint wrote:
    Lots of xp though. I made about 150 xp on my climb to 1.2k. 1.0-1.2k was entirely on +4 point matches.
    What is the point of a 4pt match? I mentioned this in my alliance chat. This would be so much easier for the big hitters if they waited, let the weaker rosters build up pts so that they are actually of value. Then when the big rosters hit they can still comfortably win for much more pts. But are 4pt matches that unbelievably irresistible? Its established that you can only see weaker rosters but rather than allowing thos weak rosters to make themselves valuble you make sure they are not getting better. Then wonder why there are no high value matches.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Have they said they used different MMR for this event? I know for me it played 100x smoother. If they did change MMR please keep this version, it's working WAY better! icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    fmftint wrote:
    What is the point of a 4pt match? I mentioned this in my alliance chat. This would be so much easier for the big hitters if they waited, let the weaker rosters build up pts so that they are actually of value. Then when the big rosters hit they can still comfortably win for much more pts. But are 4pt matches that unbelievable
    XP, 2* cover drops.
  • Wjohnson992
    Bowgentle wrote:
    fmftint wrote:
    What is the point of a 4pt match? I mentioned this in my alliance chat. This would be so much easier for the big hitters if they waited, let the weaker rosters build up pts so that they are actually of value. Then when the big rosters hit they can still comfortably win for much more pts. But are 4pt matches that unbelievable
    XP, 2* cover drops.
    Then if thats what matters why are people complaining about low value matches?
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Bowgentle wrote:
    fmftint wrote:
    XP, 2* cover drops.
    Then if thats what matters why are people complaining about low value matches?
    Don't ask me, I'm not complaining.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    fmftint wrote:
    What is the point of a 4pt match? I mentioned this in my alliance chat. This would be so much easier for the big hitters if they waited, let the weaker rosters build up pts so that they are actually of value. Then when the big rosters hit they can still comfortably win for much more pts. But are 4pt matches that unbelievably irresistible? Its established that you can only see weaker rosters but rather than allowing thos weak rosters to make themselves valuble you make sure they are not getting better. Then wonder why there are no high value matches.
    Someone had to build points, and no, those guys were NEVER going to be worth more than +4. We're giving people below us high point matches, at least we would be if they could find us
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,791 Chairperson of the Boards
    All that matters really, is was this intentional. if it was I will become one of those 575 and out players. Climb in the last 3 hours and walk away safe in the knowledge no one is going to hit me and the hardest match will be 2 star ares.

Guess we find out next pvp.
  • Wjohnson992
    fmftint wrote:
    fmftint wrote:
    Someone had to build points, and no, those guys were NEVER going to be worth more than +4. We're giving people below us high point matches, at least we would be if they could find us
    Meh its been established that rosters weaker than your own can not find you. MMR is only giving weak guaranteed wins. Making sure these weaker rosters keep being beat down and never get any meaningful level of points makes sure the matches keep a low value. I'm right in believing that pts are calculated based on the differing amount of pts you have compared to your opponent?
  • Crnch73
    Crnch73 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    I admit this is weird. I already posted plenty about how the 3cyclops PVP was brutal for me, now this is just odd.

I climbed from 0 to 700 points last night, having to fight many 20 point matches. Then, the same guy hit me twice for like 90 total points. I can't retaliate because he has level 450 characters, I am running 3* deadpool/switch/4clops, all champed. I was seeing only 5 point matches, so I just put up a shield so the same guy wouldn't keep hitting me. Now, all I see is 20 point matches. Better than 5 points I guess, but as someone else said... climbing will be really ****. All I want is that damn 4* cover
  • Ebolamonkey84
    Ebolamonkey84 Posts: 509 Critical Contributor
    fmftint wrote:
    fmftint wrote:
    Meh its been established that rosters weaker than your own can not find you. MMR is only giving weak guaranteed wins. Making sure these weaker rosters keep being beat down and never get any meaningful level of points makes sure the matches keep a low value. I'm right in believing that pts are calculated based on the differing amount of pts you have compared to your opponent?

If someone is getting hit for 4 points, they are only losing 4 points at the most. If they are less than 1000, they are losing 4*(current score)/1000 points, so these hits are hardly keeping people down.
  • Fightmastermpq
    Fightmastermpq Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    If someone is getting hit for 4 points, they are only losing 4 points at the most. If they are less than 1000, they are losing 4*(current score)/1000 points, so these hits are hardly keeping people down.
    Exactly this. I'll hit seals for single point matches all day and never feel an ounce of remorse. If you can't take handle a 2 point loss, maybe a less competitive match-3 game is more suited for your needs.

I climb like this in many events when I join early and there are no targets - it's great for ISO and XP.
  • Dartmaster01
    Dartmaster01 Posts: 634 Critical Contributor
    I for one, don't like this ****. I was planning to push as high above 1200 as possible but at 500 or so all matches are worth 5-18 points. I have multiple champed 4s and have not seen another champed 4 yet. I can't Q people with similar rosters as mine sitting unshielded in my bracket. I would much rather be able to see people with points than beat up on 3* teams for 200 matches to reach 900. This just makes PVP a huge time sink and waste of time at that. I'm going to play it a little more today but so far it's just really annoying and not worth it.
  • Crnch73
    Crnch73 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    I for one, don't like this ****. I was planning to push as high above 1200 as possible but at 500 or so all matches are worth 5-18 points. I have multiple champed 4s and have not seen another champed 4 yet. I can't Q people with similar rosters as mine sitting unshielded in my bracket. I would much rather be able to see people with points than beat up on 3* teams for 200 matches to reach 900. This just makes PVP a huge time sink and waste of time at that. I'm going to play it a little more today but so far it's just really annoying and not worth it.

agreed. I don't care if people beat on me and I lose the normal amount of points. Nor does it move the needle if I lose 4 points. But playing 25 matches just to climb 100 points (while still being susceptible to the random team of 5* champs crushing me for 40 points each) is not enjoyable either. I just hope I can shield hop enough to reach 900. Even if I spend more on shields than I normally would, that red hulk cover is something I need badly.

the MMR is just wacky, plain and simple. I have a total of 5 champed 4*, and teams of lvl 450 5* are finding me a lot now. I suppose it's not that big of a deal since they will pass me soon enough and I won't be worth hitting, but overall this event and the previous one have been all over the map from MMR standpoints.
  • kbmartin
    kbmartin Posts: 13 Just Dropped In
    If you want PVP (Versus mode) to be a skill-free game where you mindlessly grind out shiny virtual rewards; if you have always been mad that not every roster and every player gets to have all the command points every event; if you are hurt that above a certain level of points you get hit a lot because, boo hoo, who wants to play a difficult, competitive game; if you don't like that you should sometimes have to hit enemies just as tough as you to get points above a certain level; if you feel that to get all the things, all you ought to have to contribute is lots of unskilled grinding time, or to give the phone to your seven-year old: this MMR is great for you! Congratulations, you get all the things. I'm happy for you and I hope you feel a sense of accomplishment, or something.

On the other hand, if you play PVP for the challenge; if you like that you can get more rewards with less expenditure if and only if you make good decisions rapidly; if you like that rewards improve with coordination and so a social aspect is rewarded; if you like a game with friends and enemies; if you get a thrill out of the risk that choosing to do one more match might get you hit; if you experience excitement when you finish that match and are eager to see if you pulled it off or not: this MMR is frankly a boring ruination of the. PVP game, and if it continues, I'll quit. Pretty sure it's a bug though.

thankyoumrdata
    A commander at MPQU
    I speak for nobody but myself
  • Wjohnson992
    Exactly this. I'll hit seals for single point matches all day and never feel an ounce of remorse. If you can't take handle a 2 point loss, maybe a less competitive match-3 game is more suited for your needs.

I climb like this in many events when I join early and there are no targets - it's great for ISO and XP.
    Meh I guess pvp is working as intended for you then it strangely seems broke for some and better for others, meh. If you find beating 2* and 3* rosters easily who cant possibly retal "competitive" then I'm happy for you and hope you enjoy it.