PVP Matchmaking: A Discussion

Comments

• broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    I for one, don't like this ****. I was planning to push as high above 1200 as possible but at 500 or so all matches are worth 5-18 points. I have multiple champed 4s and have not seen another champed 4 yet. I can't Q people with similar rosters as mine sitting unshielded in my bracket. I would much rather be able to see people with points than beat up on 3* teams for 200 matches to reach 900. This just makes PVP a huge time sink and waste of time at that. I'm going to play it a little more today but so far it's just really annoying and not worth it.

How many times did you skip? This happened to me a few points and after skipping 10ish times I started finding matches in the 30-40s again.
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    broll wrote:
    I for one, don't like this ****. I was planning to push as high above 1200 as possible but at 500 or so all matches are worth 5-18 points. I have multiple champed 4s and have not seen another champed 4 yet. I can't Q people with similar rosters as mine sitting unshielded in my bracket. I would much rather be able to see people with points than beat up on 3* teams for 200 matches to reach 900. This just makes PVP a huge time sink and waste of time at that. I'm going to play it a little more today but so far it's just really annoying and not worth it.

How many times did you skip? This happened to me a few points and after skipping 10ish times I started finding matches in the 30-40s again.

I just skipped 50 times in a row. I saw three teams worth double digits. (10 points, 14 points, and 18 points).
  • DaBeast911
    DaBeast911 Posts: 77 Match Maker
    Well, maybe you are. I can't see teams from players I can normally see when they're out, no matter what their last match team was.

Can see loops of the same few potential matches with players 400 points down my bracket, when the players who are out in my scoreboard should be 20 to 37 points to me.

I believe this should be described as "not functioning as intended".

It's functioning...I've found you, a lot.....
  • Fightmastermpq
    Fightmastermpq Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    If someone is getting hit for 4 points, they are only losing 4 points at the most. If they are less than 1000, they are losing 4*(current score)/1000 points, so these hits are hardly keeping people down.
    Exactly this. I'll hit seals for single point matches all day and never feel an ounce of remorse. If you can't take handle a 2 point loss, maybe a less competitive match-3 game is more suited for your needs.

I climb like this in many events when I join early and there are no targets - it's great for ISO and XP.
    Meh I guess pvp is working as intended for you then it strangely seems broke for some and better for others, meh. If you find beating 2* and 3* rosters easily who cant possibly retal "competitive" then I'm happy for you and hope you enjoy it.
    Oh please, I hate this MMR, and if PvP were like this all the time I'd probably quit. My only point is that 4 points is nothing, and no one should be complaining about someone hitting them for 4 points and leaving a nice juicy 70+ point retal for them to whale if they are so inclined.
  • Crnch73
    Crnch73 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    This seems to be the exact opposite of the Eye for an Eye PVP. In that event, I couldn't climb at all because I was crushed for 200 points every time I was unshielded. Now, the whales can find me somehow but no one else can. I get hit or I can win 4 point matches... weeee. The guy who is leading my bracket double tapped me, probably because it was a rare match worth actual points, but he has every 5* champed except panther and is working on a few duplicates of 5*.

So... I don't know what to say. I shield this event, not to save myself, but to let other players catch up in score without me losing points. So, I will shield hop and hope to get a few matches worth 20 points each by the end of my shield, hopefully get close to 900 and then stop playing.
  • Wjohnson992
    Wjohnson992 Posts: 175 Tile Toppler
    If someone is getting hit for 4 points, they are only losing 4 points at the most. If they are less than 1000, they are losing 4*(current score)/1000 points, so these hits are hardly keeping people down.
    Exactly this. I'll hit seals for single point matches all day and never feel an ounce of remorse. If you can't take handle a 2 point loss, maybe a less competitive match-3 game is more suited for your needs.

I climb like this in many events when I join early and there are no targets - it's great for ISO and XP.
    Meh I guess pvp is working as intended for you then it strangely seems broke for some and better for others, meh. If you find beating 2* and 3* rosters easily who cant possibly retal "competitive" then I'm happy for you and hope you enjoy it.
    Oh please, I hate this MMR, and if PvP were like this all the time I'd probably quit. My only point is that 4 points is nothing, and no one should be complaining about someone hitting them for 4 points and leaving a nice juicy 70+ point retal for them to whale if they are so inclined.
    Lol yes I'm sure they will totally win that retal 2* roster vs 4* roster, easy 70pts for the 2*!
  • Fightmastermpq
    Fightmastermpq Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    Are you bored with single digit matches against weak teams that couldn't possibly retaliate? Looking to spice up your PvP Matchmaking climb? Well you've come to the right place! Here's a fun game you can play to keep things interesting.....

Rule #1. NO SKIPPING* - you fight what MMR gives you to fight
    Rule #2. Run XFDP/Thanos/Bolt**
    Rule #3. The ONLY ability you are allowed to use is XFDP red
    Rule #4. Try to heal XFDP before your passives win!
    Rule #5. Healthpacks are only allowed on Bolt once he is downed

*exceptions can be made for alliance-mates or BC buddies I suppose, but try to get everyone in on it, it'll be more fun
    **I've only tried this with 5*s, but 3* Thanos could work, and maybe Medusa would make a good substitute for Bolt?....try it and let me know!

Give it a try, I found it harder than it might seem!
  • Crnch73
    I just skipped around 65 times and I finally stopped. I am shielded near 750, and I found 3 matches worth double digits! One is 10 points, one is 17, and the other is 12...

so that climb to 900 looks impossible, because I just know that when I unshield to play the 10 matches it will require just to get above 800, I will almost certainly get whaled
  • Dartmaster01
    Dartmaster01 Posts: 634 Critical Contributor
    broll wrote:

I skipped through about 2-300 Q's yesterday and got to just above 700 points before giving up. Highest matches I could find were worth 22 points and after you play one of them the rest are worth 4-18 points again. icon_evil.gif
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Crnch73 wrote:
    I just skipped around 65 times and I finally stopped. I am shielded near 750, and I found 3 matches worth double digits! One is 10 points, one is 17, and the other is 12...

so that climb to 900 looks impossible, because I just know that when I unshield to play the 10 matches it will require just to get above 800, I will almost certainly get whaled

That's odd. I got to 900 for the second time ever in my MPQ career and found it super easy.

My experience went like this:
    Started on a fresh bracket within the first few hours of event start.
    Hit until I was out of health packs which was just over 600.
    On that climbed I found much fewer 50+, more common was 20-49, but they were also much weaker rosters than MMR usually gave me so they were much easier/quicker fights.
    I got to 600 without ever being attacked and put on a 24 hours shield, I was in the T20 at the at, probably about 13.

Yesterday I had dropped to T100, about 53. I unshieled before my 24 hours was and hit till I hit the 950 mark.
    This time the battles I choose were all closer to the 20-30 range range with the occasional 40 which was usually a stronger roster than I could feel comfortable winning.
    I went through a round or 2 where my point values dropped sub 20, but with 10ish skips I found more typical ones.
    When I hit 900 I in the T10, 9 I think, and most of my battles worth either 4 or 10 points. I shielded 24 hours again.

As of right now I'm 950, rank 19 with 20 hours to go and 10 left on my shield. My default targets without skipping show 5, 14, & 17, with rosters fairly close to mine. I skipped around 20ish times and saw more of the same, highest was 17 still. But ultimately I personally am fine with that where I'm at. I can see why some people wouldn't be. As long as I get T50 I'm fine.
  • Crnch73
    broll wrote:
    That's odd. I got to 900 for the second time ever in my MPQ career and found it super easy.

My experience went like this:
    Started on a fresh bracket within the first few hours of event start.
    Hit until I was out of health packs which was just over 600.
    On that climbed I found much fewer 50+, more common was 20-49, but they were also much weaker rosters than MMR usually gave me so they were much easier/quicker fights.
    I got to 600 without ever being attacked and put on a 24 hours shield, I was in the T20 at the at, probably about 13.

Yesterday I had dropped to T100, about 53. I unshieled before my 24 hours was and hit till I hit the 950 mark.
    This time the battles I choose were all closer to the 20-30 range range with the occasional 40 which was usually a stronger roster than I could feel comfortable winning.
    I went through a round or 2 where my point values dropped sub 20, but with 10ish skips I found more typical ones.
    When I hit 900 I in the T10, 9 I think, and most of my battles worth either 4 or 10 points. I shielded 24 hours again.

As of right now I'm 950, rank 19 with 20 hours to go and 10 left on my shield. My default targets without skipping show 5, 14, & 17, with rosters fairly close to mine. I skipped around 20ish times and saw more of the same, highest was 17 still. But ultimately I personally am fine with that where I'm at. I can see why some people wouldn't be. As long as I get T50 I'm fine.

Yea that never happened at all, still doesn't continue to happen. I just found someone with 30 points, so I left them in the queue, but everyone else is 5-8 points. When my shield expires I will just hit a bunch of matches, hoping for the highest amount of points. I need about 150 points to reach that 4* cover, and that's all I care about. But this has been extremely abnormal, I haven't found many matches worth 20+ points ever since I hit 600
  • nyck1118
    nyck1118 Posts: 106 Tile Toppler
    This is my current representation of what this MMR looks like. This is from testing within a battlechat and what has and has not been visible. at certain point level (1400ish or so) it looks like 5s can see 5s

Z7OoVgE.png
  • alphabeta
    alphabeta Posts: 469 Mover and Shaker
    Unfortunately I suspect it might have something to do with the two loaner options and therefore the MMR algorithm getting confused because every other event is a single loaner.

Even the last time this event ran certain nodes where 3pool and certain 4pool - making all nodes either seems to have really opened up the MMR especially below 1000/1100/1200

If that's a correct assumption (no thread having had any official post even acknowledging awareness of the change) then all should revert to normal for Mordo PVP
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    I was wondering if this was just me. I ran champed Miles/Warmachine/Xpool and the hardest team I saw was an almost-champed 4Clops with unboosted Scarlet Witch.

It was fun stomping all over every matchup, but getting to 1050 on 12-point matches was tough.
  • justsing
    justsing Posts: 507 Critical Contributor
    Oh yeah, it's so much fun when you're a 2-3* player who can't even float at 100-200 points without constantly being hit by 4* rosters.
  • Avalancher
    Avalancher Posts: 125 Tile Toppler
    This new MMR is the worst experience I have had in this game. I will quit, and take my money with me, if I cannot find a match worth more than 10 points.

Seriously.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Hey Everyone. I'm sorry to hear that there's so many unique scenarios players are encountering regarding this event. I've gone ahead and reached out to the developers to see if they knew what's going on.
  • tanis3303
    tanis3303 Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    Brigby wrote:
    Hey Everyone. I'm sorry to hear that there's so many unique scenarios players are encountering regarding this event. I've gone ahead and reached out to the developers to see if they knew what's going on.

My best guess is they took last years event and simply re-ran it, not accounting for the myriad things that changed with regards to matchmaking, roster levels, versus points and every other thing that's happened to the game in the last 365ish days...which goes back to that whole "testing" thing everyone is always talking about...but that's none of my business. Where's that Kermit meme........
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    this event is 2 very different experiences based on your roster. basically if you have dual 5s and are active in a BC in s1, you're likely around 2k points. if you don't have a champed 5, you're struggling at 1100+. there is a hard cap on mmr at your roster level. you can q anyone up to your roster level but nothing above. those of us without champed 5s, but who can beat a single champed 5 or a champed 5 grill can't see anything above our roster. but, those with dual 5s 150 points below can see us easily and double and triple to their delight. leaderboards are very telling. mine is 2680, 2333, 2112, 2040, 1300(me), 1222, 1215, down. huge gape between the 5s running 2k plus and those of us transitioners and 4* players.
  • Avalancher
    Avalancher Posts: 125 Tile Toppler
    I just skipped opponents 600 times. I never got the chance to attack the others in my Top 20 in my bracket. I only had opponents less than 10 points.

I am ready to quit the game.