Progression Rewards for the Human Torch Event are Broken

Options

Comments

• Phantron wrote:
    Toxicadam wrote:
    TaT's fallout was from changing the boosts halfway so people who are buying boost like drug addicts kept buying the +3 AP all boosts at 100 HP a pop which really has nothing to do with the event itself.

People were relying so heavily on the boosts because everyone was seeing 230's across the board from nearly the beginning. That had never happened before in an event previous to that one.

So yea, changing the boosts kind of poured gasoline on the fire and made people go nuts, but the root of it was the scaling problems.
  • Agreed the progression rewards are too difficult to reach. I've NEVER reached 1 or 2 in any event, PvP or PvE. (I'm on day 160 something). I've come to terms with playing to reach reward goals and to collect covers. To do so however we need progression rewards that are reasonable. I'm not complaining by any means. .."boo hoo this is too hard" etc, I just like knowing hard work, I.e. grinding, is all worth it in the end!
  • Raven51 wrote:
    I'm not complaining by any means. .."boo hoo this is too hard" etc, I just like knowing hard work, I.e. grinding, is all worth it in the end!

Yeah, it is not at all an issue of difficulty - it is plainly unfeasible to reach any of the "good" progression rewards. Once you've gotten ~1500 points ahead of your bracket, you'll have ground all of your nodes down to 1 event point. At the current point values, you'd need to have performed an additional 45,000-100,000 matches to achieve the higher tier rewards. There are only ~10,000 minutes in a week, so I don't know how fast you clear lvl 230 mobs (which is what you'd see after scaling and winning that many matches), but I'm guessing it takes even the most monied roster more than 6 seconds (minus UI pages and loading times, so really closer to -2 seconds per match, but hey, what are a few negative time values among friends?).
  • I really wouldn't even care so much if I didn't feel like I wasted 7 days of trying to keep up just to get the 50k reward. I feel like I've gotten next to nothing for my time during this one, no good ISO buildup, No sub bracket rewards. I just don't get this event.
  • uuddlrlr
    uuddlrlr Posts: 93 Match Maker
    Options
    Keep in mind that this was one of the earliest long events, which has been repeated here with different rewards. More recent long events have a main event+subevents structure, each with their own rewards.

So here they did a quick copy-paste of an old event, with a structure that they have actually abandoned.
  • I agree this was their worst PVE to date. No sub brackets, no big ISO rewards and unattainable progression rewards. icon_cry.gif
  • Edouble26 wrote:
    I agree this was their worst PVE to date. No sub brackets, no big ISO rewards and unattainable progression rewards. icon_cry.gif

The scaling in Heroic Oscorp was SO much worse but it had the added "bonus" of sticking you with a limited roster.
  • bahukma wrote:
    Edouble26 wrote:
    I agree this was their worst PVE to date. No sub brackets, no big ISO rewards and unattainable progression rewards. icon_cry.gif

The scaling in Heroic Oscorp was SO much worse but it had the added "bonus" of sticking you with a limited roster.
    Yeah, if this was your worst PVE, consider yourself lucky.
  • Unknown
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Edouble26 wrote:

I think considering the lack of subevent rewards, this event would have been improved with nodes giving more 500 and 1000 iso rewards instead of 100 and 250 rewards, and it's not like that would be an iso flood compared to what you get in other PvEs (although it would probably necessitate a big scaling back of community scaling, which could be a disaster if done poorly). And I know the thrill and luck of opening tokens is what keeps everybody playing.

But stepping back, I still can't bring myself to think that "low effort for a few new 3* covers" is THAT terrible compared to "high effort for a few new 3* covers and MAYBE one or two other covers I don't immediately sell."
  • To hit all the progression rewards you basically need at least 10 guys who are certain to win their bracket grinding their missions down to 1 every day, despite the fact that they're certain to win their bracket and have no reason to do so in the first place.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    gamar wrote:
    Edouble26 wrote:

I think considering the lack of subevent rewards, this event would have been improved with nodes giving more 500 and 1000 iso rewards instead of 100 and 250 rewards, and it's not like that would be an iso flood compared to what you get in other PvEs (although it would probably necessitate a big scaling back of community scaling, which could be a disaster if done poorly). And I know the thrill and luck of opening tokens is what keeps everybody playing.

But stepping back, I still can't bring myself to think that "low effort for a few new 3* covers" is THAT terrible compared to "high effort for a few new 3* covers and MAYBE one or two other covers I don't immediately sell."

I think that the main reward you get out of having subevents is the hp. Each sub gives 100hp for first/second and 50hp for top 20ish, so placing well in both subs for hulklike events means that youre earning 100-150hp a day, which is more than enough to support roster growth. Getting the 3 tokens was initially my motivation for doing the subs, but now i just do it for the hp with the expectation of getting 1 useful 3* cover out of the 15-20 tokens that i get throughout.
  • It seems like the devs have been trying to give us more realistic progression rewards in PvE. it's just that this is a really old event and maybe they didn't get around to balancing it.

Not sure how much work it is to bring this event up to date with the other events by adding sub brackets before the next time it gets run.

That said, I'm not sure if anyone could have weathered a full on 8 day with subs PvE event so soon after the simulator. This is kind of a resting area.
  • I am all for resting areas, but the next new release character does not belong in a take it easy on this one pve
  • HailMary
    HailMary Posts: 2,179
    Options
    I am all for resting areas, but the next new release character does not belong in a take it easy on this one pve
    Yep, I'd love to have a PvE I can basically screw around in, lackadaisically farming some Iso (no, not Prologue's 20-Iso rewards) without thinking about refreshes or rubberbanding. But, this one has Torch rewards, so no go yo.
  • NorthernPolarity
    edited April 2014
    Options
    The best thing about this PvE is that you can have the best of both worlds! The way to play this event optimally/efficient is to be as lazy as possible and only care about the last few refreshes. I think a lot of the angst were seeing on the forums about this event recently is that people were too hardcore about this event and treated it like a standard event where you had to grind optimally to stay ahead. I guess the sudden shift to this type of event was too drastic for most people to realize that taking the lazy approach is the best way to go about it.
  • It's true. I only joined the event Saturday night and I haven't been grinding hard and the rubberbanding still got me easily into 1st place a few times. It was good timing for me as I was very busy last week and I could blow off the whole beginning with no repercussions.
  • HailMary
    HailMary Posts: 2,179
    Options
    The best thing about this PvE is that you can have the best of both worlds! The way to play this event optimally/efficient is to be as lazy as possible and only care about the last few refreshes. I think a lot of the angst were seeing on the forums about this event recently is that people were too hardcore about this event and treated it like a standard event where you had to grind optimally to stay ahead. I guess the sudden shift to this type of event was too drastic for most people to realize that taking the lazy approach is the best way to go about it.
    True. I got too used to the sub-based format of the last few, and entered too early (about a day in?). I figure that periodically keeping up with the rest of my bracket is a safer bet than banking on not getting locked out of too many nodes at the end.
  • NorthernPolarity
    Options
    HailMary wrote:
    True. I got too used to the sub-based format of the last few, and entered too early (about a day in?). I figure that periodically keeping up with the rest of my bracket is a safer bet than banking on not getting locked out of too many nodes at the end.

Yeah, thats how I've been doing it. I was actually bolder and did some experimentations with doing one clear of missions each day at the end of each sub: that technique got me to ~50th place, with grinding the high point nodes (2-3 of them) getting me back to first. You could clear each mission once for the first 6-7 days and only start really trying in the last 1-2 days I think to hit top 10 pretty easily.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Toxicadam wrote:
    Phantron wrote:
    Toxicadam wrote:
    TaT's fallout was from changing the boosts halfway so people who are buying boost like drug addicts kept buying the +3 AP all boosts at 100 HP a pop which really has nothing to do with the event itself.

People were relying so heavily on the boosts because everyone was seeing 230's across the board from nearly the beginning. That had never happened before in an event previous to that one.

So yea, changing the boosts kind of poured gasoline on the fire and made people go nuts, but the root of it was the scaling problems.
    Exactly, but remember, phantron was harping about boosts for weeks before that
  • Kikujiro
    Kikujiro Posts: 157
    Options
    And dont forget that TaT also got the Thorverine nerf and the fix for Berserker Rage which many of us heavily relied.

The actual event is ugly, not funny and snores, but imo Heroic Oscorp was and still is the worst event by far.