Progression Rewards for the Human Torch Event are Broken

Options
Please join me and express your concern regarding the broken nature of the progression rewards in the Human Torch event.

I'm currently #1 in my bracket, I expect to win, as I will be playing up until the very last minute. However, it is also clear to me that regardless of the fact that I have a good chance of winning (I've won other brackets from similar events before) and that many people on my 20 person alliance are doing very well in the event, not one of us or anyone I've spoken to in the forums or in real life who plays this game says they have any chance at the last 3 or 4 (maybe even 5 or 6) progression rewards.

I'm my humble opinion, this has to be a mistake/bug/problem. If you have 1,000 brackets with 1,000 players (i.e.: 1 million players) and of those 1,000 bracket winners and thousands of very well placed player, NOT ONE OF THEM will get the last few progression rewards, something is wrong with the system. I don't mind grinding, it's part of many games, but this is not a matter of grinding, if you played 24/7 for 7 days straight, you couldn't get 160,000 points. We have less than 19 hours left and I grounded all nodes to less than 50 points and I have less than 50,000 points. After playing this event for 6 days straight, I'm not even close to the top progression rewards and even if my score doubled in the last 18 hours, which is impossible, I would still be far from the last 3 or 4 progression rewards. I say, therefore, that it is IMPOSSIBLE to earn the last rewards and that this has to be a mistake. As a mistake/bug/problem, I'd like to request that the Devs fix it and allow dedicated players to receive their progression rewards.

Please join your voices to mine and hopefully the Devs will make the necessary changes. My suggestion is that the top progression reward be given at 60,000 points, which would be quite hard already, specially when you consider that in 6 days of leading a bracket I have less than 50k points, i.e.: less than 10k points a day, actually its about 8k points a day.

If you agree with me, please add a comment and vote this request up. Thanks!

Best regards,
NazgulPrime

P.S. - Yes, I understand rubberbanding, which is why I'm leading my bracket. I also have seen people make it to the 1100 point progression reward on some PVP events and I know what that takes. This is not a matter of grinding or strategy, I trust math and the evolution of the points over the last 6 days.

Comments

• Well, at this point I don't think anyone disagrees. I assume the numbers were either old numbers based on something else or were rather randomly generated. Due to rubberbanding they can claim almost any value obtainable with enough slingshotting, but realistically most of these values were unobtainable. Being over 100% (double your score) away from a top prize means something was the matter..... OR there is some last second change in the last 12 hrs (highly doubtful). It's happened before and technically the devs owe thier players nothing in regards to something like this beyond wanting to keep them.happy.

Overall rating of a mhe from me. Maybe I am just over worrying about these things, or maybe I am just desensitized at this point...or maybe I just didn't care about an extra 2 lazy shieldbro covers in the first place. Whichever it is the outcome is always the same; we complain, they say it was technically obtainable, we say SOME form of compensation should happen even if it is a trivial show of solidarity, they do nothing, we get a little grumpy for a day or two before event ends, event ends and we move on,rinse repeat. It's like groundhogs day at this point , nobody's fault but thier own if they haven't gotten Bill Murray laid yet.
  • Overall rating of a mhe from me. Maybe I am just over worrying about these things, or maybe I am just desensitized at this point...or maybe I just didn't care about an extra 2 lazy shieldbro covers in the first place. Whichever it is the outcome is always the same; we complain, they say it was technically obtainable, we say SOME form of compensation should happen even if it is a trivial show of solidarity, they do nothing, we get a little grumpy for a day or two before event ends, event ends and we move on,rinse repeat. It's like groundhogs day at this point , nobody's fault but thier own if they haven't gotten Bill Murray laid yet.

Couldn't have summarized it better icon_lol.gif

Happened so often already I ain't even mad.
  • There have been very few events where no one has gotten the top end rewards, and there have been a few events where practically everyone who put in the time and effort got the high end rewards. There have been a couple of events where I have essentially been able to stop playing a couple days before the end of the event b/c I had all the progression rewards and was in a comfortable spot to stay in the 3 cover reward placing.

Personally, I'd prefer there to be more progression rewards than fewer so that there is always something else to be aiming for, even if the high end ones seem (or actually are) unattainable.
  • Moral
    Moral Posts: 512
    Options
    On one hand I think it's uncool that the cap covers, which I expect to use as a pretty trophy, are not obtainable.

On the other, they're giving out a lot more torch covers than The Simulator gave out Cap covers, so better than twice as many players will have Torch for required nodes next event.

Simulator was top 7.5% to get one cover.
    ISO 8 is giving top 20% torch covers.

They got one thing better, one thing worse.
  • Well, I doubt that anyone will think that the progression rewards are obtainable for this one, even the devs (barring some extremely late points explosion). However, expecting a change just before the event is going to end is, in my opinion, as realistic as those progression rewards being actually obtainable, so don't hold your breath on this one.

The devs have so far shown that they are extremely reluctant to make any changes during the course of an event for fear of breaking something (even though quite a few of these times the event itself isn't exactly working right to us anyway). The chances are further lowered by the fact that the event is ending on a Monday, leaving the devs with less than a day to discuss and decide on how to adjust the rewards to their desired levels. If they are unwilling to change things 1-2 days into an event, they are definitely less likely to change things hours before the event ends and prizes start going out.

What is more likely to happen is just as always, put this as a lesson learned and make changes to future events.
  • I suspect (just my thoughts only) that the event was originally scheduled as a 10 day event (which no one wanted) and was changed to 7 days. The scaling from nodes for the rewards might have reached 160k if there were 3 more days with points increasing each time. When the event was changed to 7 days someone forgot to alter the point amounts.

Alternatively someone missed a 0 somewhere which through everything off.

Either way, when the devs see that no one reached the first captain cover, and maybe not even the 50hp reward before it, maybe they'll scale down the awards to distribute, based on top 1% getting last reward and going from there.

Probably not possible without weeks of work considering how many people play now but something would be nice for a week of grind icon_razz.gif
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I figured it out after the first 12 hours, I had my nodes ground down to 1 point, and factoring a 12 hour reset and assuming I had the most points possible per reset. I thought 50000 was probably and perhaps the 66666, but nothing after that unless there was an increase in nodes or they altered prize values, but even if this was a 10 day event the top prize was not obtainable.
  • This is the first event I've seen (only been playing ~2 months or so) that a good majority of the progression awards are almost impossible to get. This is also the first event where I (or anyone for that matter) won't be able to receive the 'good' progression awards. In the last event I was able to nab 3 DD covers I believe. Events before that I was able to get multiple Punisher covers for my hard work. This event, however, the highest award I've received thus far, is the 2* Thor, and I'll be hitting the 50K progression in an hour or so.

It just seems a bit strange/ridiculous that most players aren't going to be able to get enough points for at least seven of the awards, while in other events a lot of players have been able to get nearly all but 1 or 2 of the awards available.

Maybe there will be one more refresh or they will add a ton of new nodes in the last few hours for people to jump up and get a lot more points, but that seems like a pretty far-fetched thing to happen.
  • Phaserhawk wrote:
    I figured it out after the first 12 hours, I had my nodes ground down to 1 point, and factoring a 12 hour reset and assuming I had the most points possible per reset. I thought 50000 was probably and perhaps the 66666, but nothing after that unless there was an increase in nodes or they altered prize values, but even if this was a 10 day event the top prize was not obtainable.

I believe it was the event where Daredevil was first released - most people looked like 100k short going into the last round of nodes and many people finished with like 100k beyond the final progression reward. Compounding interest is huge when the node values go up exponentially especially factoring in 3 more days with huge rewards.

That being said I still think no one wanted 3 more days of the same thing

The length of this tournament seemed much better especially considering there were no sub-events
  • My plan all along was to grind hard to grab the 93,333 3* Capt cover so I could coast a bit easier with the ESSENTIAL nodes for last few days. To that end, I ground the nodes down to a 1-4th finish each day, got each refresh, and finished yesterday in 1st place for my bracket around ~46k. I guess I lost the bracket lottery and was never destined to get that 3* Capt Y cover after all. icon_rolleyes.gif

Did end up with 2/1/0 LazyCapt after top 5'ing Best There Is, and random drops, which did make things marginally easier.... icon_razz.gif
  • user311
    user311 Posts: 482 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I like this thread. I was thinking the same thing. Im carrying my 5 team alliance with 49K of 89K. Out whole team is not going to reach 160K (maybe if they all contributed). I am, as well, first in my bracket (well was as of 90 minutes ago). Im lucky to not have the 230 teams but I have a few 170s. I'll probably finish top 50 since Im not able to hit it before later tonight. I got that Red Thor and at this point, was like okay well theres 250 ISO. I don't know why they can't change that up to have another 2 star every once in a while.
  • Moral
    Moral Posts: 512
    Options
    Finished grinding until tonight and ran out the rubber banding points. Good for 1st. 49,756.

Not even close to the 66,666 needed for the 50 hero points.
  • I just want to say.... I blame pasa_

icon_e_wink.gif
    pasa_ wrote:
    jozier wrote:
    Usually the tournament progression rewards are only for the top tier of players. It seems they didn't calculate that the changes they made to the Hulk event would overshoot the top progression rewards by this large a margin.

They definitely messed up the estimates *again* and reality blew all their figures through the roof. just they appear exactly as unprepared for this.

If I'm on a project with similar behavior after a milestone we have a retro and discuss how to prevent a failure in the future. And when we're about fielding the next thing I expect to have a contingency plan in place should history repeat itself as it is in its nature.

In first Hulk event like 120 players passed the last progression point, and by 500-ish points.
    I'm pretty sure the point values available from main missions are NOT intended or anything close. Just forgot a 10x multiplier or a limit in the rubberband formula. And I'm also sure some people there saw it coming from the second day in tops; it could have been fixed before the effect gets noticable. And we did have several updates this week, it could be deployed in any of them. Their QA completely beats me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHoNWwhzh3M
  • Colognoisseur
    Colognoisseur Posts: 804 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Moral wrote:
    Finished grinding until tonight and ran out the rubber banding points. Good for 1st. 49,756.

Not even close to the 66,666 needed for the 50 hero points.

There is definitely nobody who is much further along than low 50K right now. How do I know? By my rubberbanding. You have to be pretty close to the overall global leader before your point levels drop to baseline. About halfway through a refresh my levels drop to baseline and stay that way for the rest of the time. Which mean's the global leader at best is a few thousand ahead of me and that is with me at 50K. If there was any single player approaching the 66666 50HP progression award we would all be getting max rubberbanding or at least not zero because there is no way if someone was 15K ahead of me all my missions would be at baseline.
    This time the devs booted the progression awards and it is as others have said part of the game. They have learned from every other big mistake along these lines and that makes me think they will from this one too.
  • Well personally i think they have had more than enough time to get things right throughout the events we already played. Yeah they can say its technically possible but thats not the point. At least have the balls to post a message saying it didnt work right or we overestimated or the community didnt play enough. That would make me happy, just a little message acknowledging us, the community.
  • I've never had my missions hit the baseline value and not be at #1 in this event and there's really no reason to keep grinding when you're already #1 due to rubberbanding. That is, people who can actually push the rubberband out further have no reason to do so because they're always capable of catching up due to rubberbanding.

They really need to reduce the number of stacks available in the first place so that you can't just trivially catch back up, and then people who can clear all the nodes would actually have a reason to try to push out the rubberband out further. Sure there will be less total points if you reduce the number of stacks but you can reduce the threshold too to make up for it.
  • Congratulations you have done well and we have a reward reserved for only the best players. Here is your 37th red Thor, you have earned it.
  • Madjam wrote:
    Well personally i think they have had more than enough time to get things right throughout the events we already played. Yeah they can say its technically possible but thats not the point. At least have the balls to post a message saying it didnt work right or we overestimated or the community didnt play enough. That would make me happy, just a little message acknowledging us, the community.

Well, don't expect it. TaT was probably the most borked event ever and all that happened was a small acknowledgement (tucked into one of these mega-threads) that things weren't as they intended.

It's fairly pointless to get some kind of acknowledgement anyways. As others have said, they will try to correct it next time, which will cause everyone to get all the progression rewards 3 days before the event ends. The cycle repeats. icon_e_smile.gif
  • Toxicadam wrote:
    Madjam wrote:
    Well personally i think they have had more than enough time to get things right throughout the events we already played. Yeah they can say its technically possible but thats not the point. At least have the balls to post a message saying it didnt work right or we overestimated or the community didnt play enough. That would make me happy, just a little message acknowledging us, the community.

Well, don't expect it. TaT was probably the most borked event ever and all that happened was a small acknowledgement (tucked into one of these mega-threads) that things weren't as they intended.

It's fairly pointless to get some kind of acknowledgement anyways. As others have said, they will try to correct it next time, which will cause everyone to get all the progression rewards 3 days before the event ends. The cycle repeats. icon_e_smile.gif

TaT's fallout was from changing the boosts halfway so people who are buying boost like drug addicts kept buying the +3 AP all boosts at 100 HP a pop which really has nothing to do with the event itself.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Toxicadam wrote:
    Madjam wrote:

I'd give heroic oscorp the worst event of all time title. At least with TaT you had subs and such: heroic oscorp was just a one main event of terribleness.
    Phantron wrote:
    Toxicadam wrote:
    Madjam wrote:

TaT's fallout was from changing the boosts halfway so people who are buying boost like drug addicts kept buying the +3 AP all boosts at 100 HP a pop which really has nothing to do with the event itself.

TaT was the first event that introduced community scaling, and I think they tuned it poorly enough that everyone was facing a wall of 230s by the end of the third-fourth day. I think that combined with the boosts change was what got everyone: people were grumpy that they had to face a wall of 230s through the entire event, but that was at least doable with boosts. Changing boosts halfway made a lot of people not able to finish the event, thus pissing everyone off.