First Avenger 04.04 - 06.04

Options

Comments

• allorin wrote:

I stupidly cleared wyp's retal from my node when I was trying to rush small, easy wins to break through. At the very least, I'm looking at this as lots of lessons learned for the next time. icon_e_smile.gif

Yeah, the only reason I hit 1100 before getting smacked down again was that I saved a retal from Bowgentle and Nemek (yes, the MMR bubble forces us to attack each other too, lol) for my last two matches. So I was able to jump quickly over the top and shield with two 22 point matches instead of six 7 point matches. It's so tempting to use them up beforehand, but saving them for the last push has been vital for me. Within 5 min of shielding I got hit for -94. Within an hour? -286. It's tough to squeak up there.
  • Bowgentle wrote:
    allorin wrote:
    I don't think I've seen you in game at all, unless you have a different in game name?

I stupidly cleared wyp's retal from my node when I was trying to rush small, easy wins to break through. At the very least, I'm looking at this as lots of lessons learned for the next time. icon_e_smile.gif
    Nick is the same in game.
    I saw you a few times this morning, but skipped - at the time there were higher point targets.
    I think I finished my run at the time you seriously started yours, I didn't see Psykopathic either when I played.

And I learned my lesson when I went to 1100 for the Psyduck progression reward a couple of weeks back - then I also thought I could unshield once and push to 1100 in one go. Ended up using I think 7 or 8 shields then because I'm stupid.
    This time I knew that I'd have to attack - shield - attack boosted - reshield - rinse and repeat at least twice to keep my sanity, and it worked out.

I'm glad you're still sane. icon_e_biggrin.gif

I hit Ben Grimm on my run this morning. It's funny how taking points from a forumite makes you feel a wee bit guilty! But sometimes they're the only guys around.

And yeah, I think I started my run too late. No more beauty sleep for me on Sunday mornings!
  • I managed to push to 1100 with only one 8 hour shield. Very pleased with that
  • jozier wrote:
    I managed to push to 1100 with only one 8 hour shield. Very pleased with that

Grrrrr.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    allorin wrote:
    Bowgentle wrote:
    allorin wrote:
    I don't think I've seen you in game at all, unless you have a different in game name?

Nick is the same in game.
    I saw you a few times this morning, but skipped - at the time there were higher point targets.
    I think I finished my run at the time you seriously started yours, I didn't see Psykopathic either when I played.

And I learned my lesson when I went to 1100 for the Psyduck progression reward a couple of weeks back - then I also thought I could unshield once and push to 1100 in one go. Ended up using I think 7 or 8 shields then because I'm stupid.
    This time I knew that I'd have to attack - shield - attack boosted - reshield - rinse and repeat at least twice to keep my sanity, and it worked out.

I'm glad you're still sane. icon_e_biggrin.gif

I hit Ben Grimm on my run this morning. It's funny how taking points from a forumite makes you feel a wee bit guilty! But sometimes they're the only guys around.

And yeah, I think I started my run too late. No more beauty sleep for me on Sunday mornings!

Yeah, i think the key to hitting 1100 is to dodge the frugal shielders (like me!) by playing early. I didnt get hit by a single retaliation on my way up, and i think that playing at nonpeak times is the best way to do that. I spent 0 shields to get up to 1100, and spent 375hp on them afterwards for convenience and being able to feel good about contributing more than my average of only 925 points per round (which is low by shield standards).
  • Emeryt wrote:
    This push up to 1100 is pretty scary...
    I assume it will be possible around half a day till the end. On the other hand it will be much tougher, as people tend to grind those last hours more, so there's much of a chance to get a crapload of attacks. Time to answer a question - do I really bother that much?

@Davecazz - You're aiming at 1100 or do You just want the X-Force cover? icon_e_wink.gif

Late on responding but I'm going for both, my IW and force are not maxed yet so I could use the covers. If there is a cover I need at 1100 I will usually go for it
  • allorin wrote:
    jozier wrote:

Grrrrr.

Most of my alliance members are crazy, hitting 1100 with 1 or even no shields. I don't have the guts for that and need to use a lot of shields to get there.
  • davecazz wrote:
    allorin wrote:
    jozier wrote:

Grrrrr.

Most of my alliance members are crazy, hitting 1100 with 1 or even no shields. I don't have the guts for that and need to use a lot of shields to get there.

Haha - I have the guts, clearly just not the talent (or timing, or luck, or all three!).

Next time, I'm just gonna burn ISO so I can hit Jozier ten times, just so he can feel my pain... icon_lol.gif

Good luck in getting there,if you haven't yet.
  • Nemek
    Nemek Posts: 1,511
    Options
    davecazz wrote:
    allorin wrote:
    jozier wrote:

Grrrrr.

Yeahhhh, I don't have the guts, either. I think I only got hit twice while unshielded this tourney and it hurts every time. I ponied up 600 HP on shields (4x 3 hour, 1x 24 hour afterwards) in order to get to 1100 and avoid the pain of losing points. I'll likely do a little better than break-even on the tourney, but the price still seemed pretty steep.
  • allorin wrote:
    davecazz wrote:
    allorin wrote:
    jozier wrote:

Grrrrr.

Haha - I have the guts, clearly just not the talent (or timing, or luck, or all three!).

Next time, I'm just gonna burn ISO so I can hit Jozier ten times, just so he can feel my pain... icon_lol.gif

Good luck in getting there,if you haven't yet.

Thanks, I just hit it and I'm shielded for the rest of the event.
  • Nemek wrote:
    davecazz wrote:
    allorin wrote:
    jozier wrote:

Grrrrr.

Yeahhhh, I don't have the guts, either. I think I only got hit twice while unshielded this tourney and it hurts every time. I ponied up 600 HP on shields (4x 3 hour, 1x 24 hour afterwards) in order to get to 1100 and avoid the pain of losing points. I'll likely do a little better than break-even on the tourney, but the price still seemed pretty steep.

It is soo painful to get up there fighting for 5 point matches only to be bit once for 40+ points.
  • Clintman
    Clintman Posts: 757 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I got up to 1100, then let myself get beat down to the 800-900 range, I don't need the Xforce cover so not going to make Lycra sweat to lock it down.

Plus there is nothing to do since I am waiting for my nodes to refresh, so retaliating against people who hit me now keeps me entertained.
  • YES!!!

157k64g.jpg

Yesyesyesyesyesyesyes!!!!
  • allorin wrote:
    YES!!!

157k64g.jpg

Congrats!
  • Clintman
    Clintman Posts: 757 Critical Contributor
    Options
    allorin wrote:
    YES!!!

157k64g.jpg

Way to go, I am always chewing my nails from 1050-1100, always without fail get hit for 40 points from someone who just joined the event. Glad you made it!
  • Hey Twysta, I'm sorry i hit you on the way up, Just those 36 points were so juicy and they were calling my name. If it makes you feel any better, those points got me 1st and also it was a very close game. At the end there were only the 2 Cap's left and it was too close to call icon_e_smile.gif
  • Thank you, davecazz and clint! And yeah, it was a nail-biter - my nerves are shredded.

I got a few things wrong, and learned a little about PvP strategy along the way. Will be down around 275 HP at the end, but that's not bad for a 3* cover.

Getting over the line at the third time of asking went easier than expected. I was on 1060, with three nodes lined up at 17, 16, 15. I did the 17 first, as it was in the desert and Hulk Smash. Quick win. Got 17 points. Then I did the 16, which was a retal from my earlier push from 1000 to 1060. However, that netted me a surprise 26 points, which pushed me to 1103! Quick screen cap of the award, and then shieldshieldshield!
  • Kelbris
    Kelbris Posts: 1,051
    Options
    WYP's AI friggin cheats

EVERY SINGLE mag projectile lined up greens
  • allorin wrote:
    YES!!!

157k64g.jpg

congrats. Good to see you persevered. The cost in shields still is cheaper than buying the cover and you got a few more iso out of the ordeal icon_e_smile.gif
  • Great job on the 1100. Don't let the devs know or they will pump the cover up to 1300.

This is the first time I have tanked before entering a tournament in months. It is also the first time I have cracked 800 in months.