** Black Widow (Original) ** [PRE 2014-06]

Options

Comments

• Off topic, but anyone notice this bug?

Just played a versus match and only ran 2 turns of which I had only green and red tiles. The opponent grabbed up a nice cascade and did 'Aggressive Recon' in which they received 3 in all colors (except purple)! Not really to fair when the opponent gets all colors even though you have none to steal!

I havent tried to repeat it yet, but not cool!

Will report as a bug if i get a confirmation on this.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    My OBW is a 5/5/3 obviously not a top build.
    I find myself wishing I had done a 5/4/4. I quite enjoy pink (I know it's supposedly purple, idc, it's pink) at lvl 5. Blue at lvl 5 has not helped me in the least and I feel very hindered not having at least 4 in black.

3/5/5 is the best way to go. Especially with this new PvE the 5 in blue has been invaluable, being able to heal and add counters has saved me way too many times.
  • My OBW is a 5/5/3 obviously not a top build.
    I find myself wishing I had done a 5/4/4. I quite enjoy pink (I know it's supposedly purple, idc, it's pink) at lvl 5. Blue at lvl 5 has not helped me in the least and I feel very hindered not having at least 4 in black.
    I think it's technically magenta.

I think that 5 black is not great. I think people run 3/5/5 just to avoid having 4 purple.
  • 5 black is amazing. Combine that with strike tiles and Widow can do 2-3k per match.
  • Phaserhawk wrote:

3/5/5 is the best way to go. Especially with this new PvE the 5 in blue has been invaluable, being able to heal and add counters has saved me way too many times.

Blue just hasn't fit into my set up. All the tanks I use (wolvie Thor rag etc) use red and green.
    Spidey covers blue and yellow and his blue I find more useful than OBWS.
    Pink is my fav OBW skill and I love it at max, steals whatever color I'm about to get nailed with while fueling basically all 3 characters abilities, then leaves her black open to add the little extra damage.

It's more just my style of play more than anything I suppose. If spideys blue gets nerfed too badly I am gonna need a replacement for that color though. OBW covers are easy to come by and I haven't dumped any ISO into her so maybe it will be beneficial for me to build a 3/3/3 and wait to see how thorverine spidey and mag C tweaks play out before I level her.
  • Phaserhawk
    Options
    I think it's technically magenta.

I agree that 5 black is not great. I think people run 3/5/5 just to avoid having 4 purple

How is 5 black not great? OBW has really 2 choices, do you go 5/3/5 or 3/5/5. Because 4 in blue is terrible since all you did was cost yourself a lvl 5 in another color for being able to add one more counter to a count down tile. At no point should OBW ever have a skill at lvl 4 except in the process of gettign 13 covers. Her lvl 4 skills are so terrible compared to lvl 3 and 5. So as I said the only 2 builds for her are 5/3/5 or 3/5/5. The reason you have to go 5 in black is simple, you need lvl 4 at least to allow the secondary damage of matching which is what makes her a powerhouse, and since you want no lvl 4, you have to go 5 black. You have to ask yourself the question, do I want to steal AP sooner but not as much or purple, or do I want to completely lock down opponents late game? If you want the quick steal then 3/5/5 is the only build. If you want the late game lock down, then 5/3/5 is the better option, sure you could go 5/4/4 but you are handicapping yourself as 5/3/5 is better than 5/4/4. The only time you go 5/5/3 is when you have a deck that has your other characters so lvl'd that it does not allow OBW a chance to match tiles, then she sits in the background and steals AP and heals, sure you could go 5/4/4 but why would you give up extra damage from black for the ability to stop a countdown tile from 3 to 4 counters? Tha's why the only 3 viable builds for her are 5/3/5, 3/5/5 or 5/5/3 her's a simple break down

3/5/5 -- quick AP denial, great healing and damage (negative, squishy and you open her up to damage)
    5/3/5 -- massive AP denial good damage on matches (negative, slow AP steal, heal does not work with countdown tiles out and we are starting to get a lot more of these, squishy and open to damage)
    5/5/3-- massive AP denail and great healing, while squishy she generally won't be making matches. (only use this build if you have a deck that needs the AP denial and Heal but doesnt' have her make tile matches (negative, no bonus damage or strike tile combo, )
  • Phaserhawk
    Options
    Phaserhawk wrote:

Blue just hasn't fit into my set up. All the tanks I use (wolvie Thor rag etc) use red and green.
    Spidey covers blue and yellow and his blue I find more useful than OBWS.
    Pink is my fav OBW skill and I love it at max, steals whatever color I'm about to get nailed with while fueling basically all 3 characters abilities, then leaves her black open to add the little extra damage.

It's more just my style of play more than anything I suppose. If spideys blue gets nerfed too badly I am gonna need a replacement for that color though. OBW covers are easy to come by and I haven't dumped any ISO into her so maybe it will be beneficial for me to build a 3/3/3 and wait to see how thorverine spidey and mag C tweaks play out before I level her.

I agree, if I had your deck 5/3/5 would be the better build unless you just want to go redundant and go 5/5/3 just to give you more heal options. I choose the quick AP denial though, that has saved me more times than not, and because you steal blue, purple or black AP with her matches she cant go off quite often
  • Ok so that makes sense to me.
    Basically a 5/5/3 like I have is the safe slow build
    And a 5/3/5 will be a riskier yet deadlier build.
    I don't think the other option is for me.

Maybe I shall build a new 5/3/5 and just save levelling either til I've played with both.
  • My Widow is 3/5/5 and she was the first hero that maxed covers. The day after I finished her I was sad because I thought I had made a mistake not going for 5/5/3 after playing against one with that build, but when she teams up with a character that places Strike tiles, like Astonishing or Patch Wolverine, she dominates. In a team like that, she becomes the main damage dealer in your party.

Like others said, with 6+ Strike tiles on the board she easily deals 2+K damage with each match. Now that I played her for some time, I can see her 4-5 level blue is not needed as much, but I still don't regret her build, mostly because her 5th level purple can be very slow. Not only slow until her first match, but even during the game because she steals purple every time she makes a match so by the time you use her ability it is doubtful you will will steal 4 purple. Also if the opponent doesn't want purple at all, then she can be really slow.

Since I prefer faster and more flexible builds, being able to use her more often and prevent low cost abilities like Juggernaut's and Ares' who are both beasts in pve events is a priority for me. I know most people use Spiderman in higher tiers, but with the upcoming nerf, I wonder if OBW will be used more often even in 3* teams.

Edit: Something important I forgot to add.Everyone should be aware that in high level teams other heroes may have higher tile values in purple/blue/black which means she won't benefit from her Espionage damage. If you plan to use her in high level teams that use these colors, then Espionage level 5 is a waste if you build her to deal damage.
  • Phaserhawk
    Options
    Narkon wrote:
    My Widow is 3/5/5 and she was the first hero that maxed covers. The day after I finished her I was sad because I thought I had made a mistake not going for 5/5/3 after playing against one with that build, but when she teams up with a character that places Strike tiles, like Astonishing or Patch Wolverine, she dominates. In a team like that, she becomes the main damage dealer in your party.

Like others said, with 6+ Strike tiles on the board she easily deals 2+K damage with each match. Now that I played her for some time, I can see her 4-5 level blue is not needed as much, but I still don't regret her build, mostly because her 5th level purple can be very slow. Not only slow until her first match, but even during the game because she steals purple every time she makes a match so by the time you use her ability it is doubtful you will will steal 4 purple. Also if the opponent doesn't want purple at all, then she can be really slow.

Since I prefer faster and more flexible builds, being able to use her more often and prevent low cost abilities like Juggernaut's and Ares' who are both beasts in pve events is a priority for me. I know most people use Spiderman in higher tiers, but with the upcoming nerf, I wonder if OBW will be used more often even in 3* teams.

Edit: Something important I forgot to add.Everyone should be aware that in high level teams other heroes may have higher tile values in purple/blue/black which means she won't benefit from her Espionage damage. If you plan to use her in high level teams that use these colors, then Espionage level 5 is a waste if you build her to deal damage.

However, if you are at that point in the game where Level 5 is a waste, you probably don't even need her anymore, why bother playing with a fragile 2 star that steals AP, when you can play with 3 and 4 stars and kill them instead
  • She is now my favorite 2*. In your opinion, at what level does Spider-man replace her completely?
  • TheHood
    TheHood Posts: 107
    Options
    klingsor wrote:
    She is now my favorite 2*. In your opinion, at what level does Spider-man replace her completely?
    When you will got 4-5 blu cover of Spider-Man.
  • Spider-Man never replaces OBW completely, since she still has the ability to amplify strike tile damage and steal AP, which makes her a very good offensive character. On a team with no strike synergy, 3/5/X Spidey is probably better.
  • klingsor wrote:
    She is now my favorite 2*. In your opinion, at what level does Spider-man replace her completely?

It depends on your team, I was using Wolverine OBW and Daken for a quick win, or Wolverine OBW and spidey (hes lvl is lower than OBW) for a safe game.

A 4-5 b Spider-man replace her when the blue tiles have his symbol or your team prefer a cheap stun than support.
  • Do you guys know if there are any Prologue missions with OBW covers as rewards? Some wiki pages list which missions have covers as rewards but her page doesn't seem to have that info (or I missed it).

Thanks.
  • Nope no prologue missions for her..
  • She is a newer character so she is not a reward in the prologue.
  • if i could only give you the last oh i dunno 5-10 heroic cover pulls i've had that were OBW..Im getting utterly fed up with pulling her lately lol
  • For what its worth Ive bought the heroic 10 pack a few times and gotten several....not trying to sell ya or anything just a thought
  • MTGOFerret wrote:
    if i could only give you the last oh i dunno 5-10 heroic cover pulls i've had that were OBW..Im getting utterly fed up with pulling her lately lol
    OMG +100000 to that also lol me too
This discussion has been closed.