** Black Widow (Original) ** [PRE 2014-06]

Options

Comments

• 5 in black is amazing in battle. Remember, it's basically two attacks. Combine her with strike tiles and she's a monster.
  • jozier wrote:
    5 in black is amazing in battle. Remember, it's basically two attacks. Combine her with strike tiles and she's a monster.
    so basically OBW + Logan (or son) + Punisher means three powerful attacks a turn, right?
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Emeryt wrote:
    jozier wrote:
    5 in black is amazing in battle. Remember, it's basically two attacks. Combine her with strike tiles and she's a monster.
    so basically OBW + Logan (or son) + Punisher means three powerful attacks a turn, right?
    Only on blue and purple (and you'd need to watch the respective levels if you use daken), since punisher would take the black
  • I feel like the odd ball because i have her 4/5/4 i was undecided on what skill to buy so i went on a little of both (black and purple). I kind of i wish i would have just gone 3/5/5 or 5/5/3 because her purple power steals four ap but what I didnt realize is her last power (agressive recon) also steals purple ap . . Which is kind of like a recharge? Too late now.
  • 4 Purple is definetly worse than 3 but unfortunately also worse than 5. 5 Also steals Purple so it keeps feeding itself. It´s definetly better than 3 AFTER the first time you get to use it.

If it´s any consolation she is pretty much completely replaced by Classic Spiderman, the cheap stun is far more effective denying enemy actions and he also has a heal.
  • Spoit wrote:
    Emeryt wrote:
    jozier wrote:
    Only on blue and purple (and you'd need to watch the respective levels if you use daken), since punisher would take the black
    what i meant: normal tile match damage affected by Logan strike tiles + Espionage affected by Logan strike tiles + Punisher strike tile (or Storm*) at the end of player's turn affected by Logan strike tiles.
  • 4 Purple is definetly worse than 3 but unfortunately also worse than 5. 5 Also steals Purple so it keeps feeding itself. It´s definetly better than 3 AFTER the first time you get to use it.

If it´s any consolation she is pretty much completely replaced by Classic Spiderman, the cheap stun is far more effective denying enemy actions and he also has a heal.

Depends on the tournament. Her synergy with Wolverine makes for quick matches at times and you can usually heal up just as effectively.
  • Given that 5 espionage is valuable almost entirely due to Wolverines strike tiles I wonder how things will look once he gets changed. Well even if he gets ruined there is still Daken right?
  • nihilium
    nihilium Posts: 242
    Options
    I honestly have to say, that wolverine isnt the only reason. Stealing more than 3ap ans also stealing purple sounds awesome, but half of the cases there is nothing to steal. And if there is, ur already stealing purple, Blue and black witj matches, if ur widow is high....
    Being able to steal ap every 2 matches is sweet, with or without the tiles. ..
    But yeah, with tiles its even cooler xD
  • Has anyone tried her out with Doom yet? Especially in the lightning rounds where doom gets a buff?

I have her, but she is severely underleveled (i've been pouring all my resources into three star heros).
  • Toxicadam wrote:
    Has anyone tried her out with Doom yet? Especially in the lightning rounds where doom gets a buff?

I have her, but she is severely underleveled (i've been pouring all my resources into three star heros).

With both at max level Doom will negate espionage for blue and black matches.
  • nihilium wrote:
    I honestly have to say, that wolverine isnt the only reason. Stealing more than 3ap ans also stealing purple sounds awesome, but half of the cases there is nothing to steal. And if there is, ur already stealing purple, Blue and black witj matches, if ur widow is high....
    Being able to steal ap every 2 matches is sweet, with or without the tiles. ..
    But yeah, with tiles its even cooler xD

My OBW is 5/3/5, and sometimes I'm swearing for getting hosed by counters; also some other times wish I had stayed purple at 3. Indeed it is situational.

But I believe for the average and for the long run (my most common set is vol+obw and I play a lot lately) it works good. The main problem is getting to the initial 11 pur. It really sux to watch the number at 10 and the opponent priming some ability. Whiule when it just works its wonders you go by and win and forget.

I'm positive a fair record of events would show way more cases it helped -- both taking more and the ability to stay with 4 purple (and preventing Moonstones warp killing a member is king.)

Yes, sometimes you sit there and wish they had just some blue or green or red to steal, the board is starved. But if they are empty it is good and you are winning. I always wish the opponent was empty. The problem comes when he's not. icon_e_smile.gif

Bonus fun seeing him with flashing Rose opportunity when I'm sitting on enough purple. Go ahead, nut I'm waiting to harvest icon_e_wink.gif

Unlike some other characters, I made that build deliberately, and I think coming again it would be that same. But to be fair I did not play with the cheaper version to actually compare, and when it's in the opposition I must be more alert to avoid being robbed. icon_e_smile.gif
  • Given that 5 espionage is valuable almost entirely due to Wolverines strike tiles I wonder how things will look once he gets changed. Well even if he gets ruined there is still Daken right?

Why not both? Match a green and feel their pain.

Have you seen Patch? At max level, he can put out 900 points in strike tiles for the cost of 9 green.
  • nihilium
    nihilium Posts: 242
    Options
    And dun forget Punisher ^///^
    Currently I SO want to get my Widow to max lvl and than steal enough cover for a playable punisher... even if thatll take forever *sigh*

Imho she isnt dependant on wolverine, but she just works really well with strike tiles.
    And I actually like the added dmg on matches (even if it isnt much) since she doesnt do any dmg with atks ^^
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Okay here's the skinny on building her. The answer is.....it depends on the rest of your deck. If you have guys that can tank for her, so she is never exposed and she can never match any tiles, then you want 5/5/3. This will give you the best healing and you will steal the most. unless you want a very quick stealer, then 3/5/5. If you don't pair her with a strike tile creator then don't bother with leveling black. The way her skill set is, you never want 4 in anything. Level 4's on her are worse than Lvl3 and worse than lvl5. If you have tanks, but you also have strike tiles and you don't care about early denial of AP, then go 5/3/5. The question you have to ask yourself when building her is. Do I want to be able to steal 3 AP but no purple but go off sooner? or do I want to steal all colors at 4AP but basically have to wait another turn due to the increase in her skill cost? Each strategy has it's own merit, some people like her at Lvl 5 purple and can validate why, and other's have Lvl3 purple and also validate why. If you have lvl 4 purple you messed up. If you choose the Lvl 3 purple path, well she builds her self, 3/5/5. If you choose the 5 purple path, you have your next choice 3or5 blue, 3or5 black. Once you hit lvl 3 blue she is as cheap as she will get and you still get the maxium heal, if you choose to go to 5, you allow yourself the ability to always heal even if there are enemy countdown tiles. Playing in the Ares tournament, her Lvl 5 blue has been invaluable. As the game is right now there are not a whole lot of guys that use countdown tiles that are worth playing, IM40, Ares are some, Hawkeye is getting revamped so who knows. If you think that countdown tiles are going to be an issue, or you play alot of PvE and go agaisnt those Hammer guys, then you want 5 in blue.
    At lvl 3 black you get all the major benefits but 1, no extra damage. If you do not have her black at least lvl 4 you will not trigger the secondary damage, which means you won't trigger the strike tiles!!!!. If your widow has her icon on any of the blue, black, or purple tiles, and you are only lvl 3 black, you will not get the stike tile damage since you aren't triggering her full passive. That's why if you go 5 in purple then you should at least go 5/4/4, but again I feel 5/3/5 would be superior. But losing efectively double damage from her by not going to at least lvl 4 black is a waste.

I repeat. widow will not trigger the match damage if you don't have at least 4 covers in black. If you trigger her match bonus damage you will trigger strike tiles, so when you build her remember that. Example lvl 3 black, 3 strike tiles totatling 200 damage. You match purple for 150 plus strike tiles, you do 350 damage. If you have lvl 5 black you trigger the 350, plus an additional 112 plus the strike tiles for another 312. totaling 662 dmg. as you can see this can be big
  • ok so i guess i kinda screw up building my OBW. Currently stands at 4/4/4. Any suggestion where the 5 to be at?
  • lazyhex wrote:
    ok so i guess i kinda screw up building my OBW. Currently stands at 4/4/4. Any suggestion where the 5 to be at?

I like a lot the 5 blue as she can heal even with counter tiles.
    The black power, 4 or 5 is nearly the same.
    For the purple one, i don't like at all 4 & 5, the higher cost is too much of a burden i think, 8 AP is the highest cost i want as she can reach it with only 2 3-tiles combos (if opponent has purple of course). A quick use is the only thing that save me a lot from wolverine green strike as i can often steal it from him before he can use it !
  • If anyone has OBW and Storm Classic both at max level, what happens when you match blue? I´m considering maxing Stormclassic but since it´s mainly for her blue I´d like to take advantage of Espionage. They both have blue at strength 45.
  • If anyone has OBW and Storm Classic both at max level, what happens when you match blue? I´m considering maxing Stormclassic but since it´s mainly for her blue I´d like to take advantage of Espionage. They both have blue at strength 45.
    I have both CStorm and OBW maxed. When paired, OBW makes the blue matches.
This discussion has been closed.