Funbalancing Queue Update?

Options
Can I ask where we are with potential changes to 4* Wolverine, 3* Magneto, 3* Spiderman, and 2* Hawkeye? Simply curious because no characters have been updated on that list in a good while, whereas before it was literally a nerf to Ragnarok, a buff to Invisible Woman, and tweaks to Wolverine / Thor within roughly a month.

Comments

• Twysta
    Twysta Posts: 1,597 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I think they're currently figuring out how to nerf Mag and Spidey to make them fair and still viable without causing an uproar.

Seems to me they tend to try to multitask as well rather than focus and do one thing at a time. I always get the impression they're trying to juggle doing about 10 things at once.
  • I've asked like a billion times. They have been pretty stubborn about acknowledging this topic at all.
  • Copps
    Copps Posts: 333 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    For spidey why not just a 5 point blue that generates 2-3 web tiles. Maybe have the base stun at 2 turns. Would still be stun lockable but would require a lot more effort. I also hope they buff xforce at the same time I'm up to 451 on mine and would love to have a reason to start putting ISO into him.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I think they are just going to leave Spidey and Mags alone, X-Force Wolvie on the other needs a buff just so he's not useless. I think as the game goes on and more characters are released with different color combos and such, the C.Mags and Spidey situation will fix itself.
  • At some point IceIX said that the Mags and Spidey nerfs were on hold while they "figured some things out."
  • GumisK
    GumisK Posts: 372 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I find less and less players to be using Spidey in PvP. In PvE events, especially the crazy "Thor+two guys supporting him with ammo" nodes, he might be the only way to get through without taking a savage beating on 9 out of 10 attempts. In PvP tourneys, on the other hand, Spidey is too slow and to weak in terms of health and firepower for many top-notch players to play him on a regular basis - he just gets swapped in from time to time to save health packs, but it seems to me he hasn't got such an overwhelming impact as he used to. So maybe they are actually reconsidering the nerf, as the metagame is swaying in favour of different characters?
  • GumisK wrote:
    I find less and less players to be using Spidey in PvP.

Might just depend on your MMR bubble and who is buffed.

In the recent No-Holds Barred tourney, I would say roughly 60-70 percent of the teams I saw had Spidey. Mostly because they were running with Patch or using Spidey to counter someone else's Spiderman.

But in the Divine Champions tourney, I barely ever saw him.
  • If they did nerf Spidey and Cmags there would be a mass uproar, those characters are currently the only way some people can even compete in PvE events... which is a real problem here...
  • It is frustrating to have announced funbalancing a list of characters months ago and then not provide any updates. Or I guess the few updates we did get was essentially telling us it's low priority and they'll get around to it when they feel like it.

Maybe their Thorverine funbalance was too costly and they're a little gun shy to do it again. The data is probably showing that the impact on the game is low for the previously listed characters. As overpowered as some may believe, maybe Mags/Spidey just aren't as overpowered as people think. While underpowered characters are bothersome they don't upset the balance of the game when they've introduced so many new characters for people to choose from.

Personally, I'd rather them take their time instead of overfixing the characters. My faith in them getting the balance right is not very high given how they messed up their newly release characters right off the bat (Psylocke/Black Panther/Inivisible Woman/DareDevil). I like the trap concept, but having nothing but traps is crazy.
  • Wil88
    Wil88 Posts: 159 Tile Toppler
    Options
    It would be nice to have some sort of timeline. I've finally acquired enough covers to make these characters relatively playable, but don't want to pump ISO into them, and then get unbalanced shortly thereafter. With something announced, at least I can make an educated decision as to where to put the ISO.
  • They've said they'd announce any changes in advance. Just wait for that instead of asking about them. We have a thread every week about potential funbalancing. They'll update us when they have an update.
  • Kavel
    Kavel Posts: 85
    Options
    I hope they keep Spidey just as he is. Unless they want to force everyone to play a single playstyle (soak damage and weather the storm), he works just fine. He's the only cover that allows stunlock to be a real strategy, and he's got limits. Running out of blue is a legit threat, espectially against high-HP opponents, and scrounging enough blue to really set a lock on an opposing team before someone on your team gets waylaid isn't guranteed. And in PVP, stunlock matches are so slow that the tournament structure itself rewards those who run pure damage-dealers. He's a means to a playstyle that's becoming more of an option than a necessity, so they should just let it ride.

There are other heavy hitters out there that hit as hard as C-Mag now too, right? If the point of nerfs is to make people constantly have to ditch characters they've put time and $$$ into, then nerf these guys. But they won't be such statistical outliers once more and more of the players get and level up these new characters.
  • wathombe wrote:
    At some point IceIX said that the Mags and Spidey nerfs were on hold while they "figured some things out."

I remember seeing that but it still doesn't answer why x force isn't buffed and he was in that queue ahead of them. Even a simple change like scaling the strike tiles a bit higher than 15 would help.
  • I too think that while thorverine is something everybody and the pussycat had evolved mags/spidey is really a rare beast. Considering the whole pond.

And a nerf is probably not worth it really, even if some perfect one was discovered. And we're not aware of even a "good" level idea. The best I'm aware was just adding +1 to costs of blue and red, I consider in the "mediocre" category.

OTOH if they reconsidered the priority the updated list should be announced really instead of just keeping it in limbo.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I would much rather they upgrade 2 ability 2 and 3 stars then worry about C. Mags and Spidey. Plus, if they are such an issue, just create a character counter, like create Carnage whose passive could be, immune to stuns as long as so many web tiles are out, that would keep Spidey in check big time.
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,313 Site Admin
    Options
    The funbalancing queue still exists. It's still on a burner (not the back one), but we don't have much heat on it at the moment. Getting stronger Alliance controls and features are higher up on the list at the moment and taking up more of the designer time. We still intend to get back to these at some point.
  • IceIX wrote:
    The funbalancing queue still exists. It's still on a burner (not the back one), but we don't have much heat on it at the moment. Getting stronger Alliance controls and features are higher up on the list at the moment and taking up more of the designer time. We still intend to get back to these at some point.

Much appreciated.

Any chance if an updated list in the near future?
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,313 Site Admin
    Options
    IceIX wrote:

Much appreciated.

It's pretty well the same as it was. Hawkeye (Modern), Wolverine (X-Force), Magneto (Classic), Spider-Man (Classic) are all on the list. We've also got a bunch of internal discussion on some other changes for other characters, but nothing has shaken out definitively yet.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I hope Spider-Man is left alone. He's really not that over-powered. HIs heal takes a lot of matches to be effective (OBW is a much more effective healer), and beyond his stun he doesn't have that much to offer with low health and no offensive capability beyond match damage.
  • IceIX wrote:
    IceIX wrote:

Much appreciated.

It's pretty well the same as it was. Hawkeye (Modern), Wolverine (X-Force), Magneto (Classic), Spider-Man (Classic) are all on the list. We've also got a bunch of internal discussion on some other changes for other characters, but nothing has shaken out definitively yet.

Gonna go out on a limb and say daredevil for starters. Hehe. My curiosity has been satisfied. Back to the grind and thanks again.