Funbalancing Queue Update?

Options
1789101113»

Comments

• Well..u can see top ranked order's player's scores in a sub at any time by looking at alliance tank and clicking the score though. So in this situation..I could tell where she was at.

That said, the point is still valid as that only accounts for 100 players from 10 orders...more depending on your alliance rank. Still hardly accounts for everyone likely in the top of a given bracket
    You can tell where I am now, but even if I'm 2000 up, there is no way of knowing if the guy in second place in my main bracket is in a sub-bracket where someone has ground so much that Mr. Second Place has untouched nodes that will give him 5000 in his next clear. Not all sub-brackets are equal. Davecazz just took first in his Alaska sub-bracket with over 7000 points. The leader of my sub-bracket i sat 6349, and nobody else has crossed 6000. Or Mr. Second Place may not have even done his first clear of Alaska while I have. He could have massive points stockpiled and there is no way to know.

The last few events (months?) Have had universal sub bracket rubberbanding...meaning everyone is being rubberbanded to whomever is the overall leader in points as far as I l've seen. The scores in these are close enough that I don't have any evidence proving the opposite as simply playing late can account for a few hundred point swing. It's the reason ppl just starting a sub at the 4 hr mark can still score as high, in that sub, as someone who has been grinding each node constantly at efficient times. So, rough estimate of looking through the top 10 orders and taking the top score tells you around where the current rubberbanding modifier is. Give yourself a 2k cushion is more than.enough to account for the differences as long as you can see the opponent's current sub score.
    And pray tell how am I supposed to see my opponent's sub score when it is a near-certainty that we will not be in the same subs?

I already said in my response to phantron. It was actually in the reverse for his example, saying someone else seeing yours, but it requires being able to see the other person's order ranking...which is why I made the point about them needing to be in the top 10 (or withing 4 ranks of your order's rank). You have 86, 031 points overall atm. Shield isn't top 10 in the subs, so I cannot see that. No, its not going to be a way to find everyone as I said, but its something, and I didn't say it was any more or less than that. On the other hand, if you have someone from retribution in your sub, they are top 10, unlike shield atm, so you can see everyone on the team's sub score.
  • Moghwyn wrote:
    Hey, I've got Jozier in my main bracket, it's a matter of pride now not to give up. icon_e_biggrin.gif

I have walkyourpath... icon_e_smile.gif
  • pasa_ wrote:
    Moghwyn wrote:
    Hey, I've got Jozier in my main bracket, it's a matter of pride now not to give up. icon_e_biggrin.gif

You're pretty safe from me on this one, pasa. My levels are scaling like crazy, and with subs ending in the middle of my work day I'm leaving alot of points on the table for those. I just want my 3 Falcon covers. I haven't started Florida yet though, so I could make up a bunch of points there?
  • pasa_ wrote:
    Moghwyn wrote:

You're pretty safe from me on this one, pasa. My levels are scaling like crazy, and with subs ending in the middle of my work day I'm leaving alot of points on the table for those. I just want my 3 Falcon covers. I haven't started Florida yet though, so I could make up a bunch of points there?

I saw you only rising to #3 and lagging behind... but everyone "enjoys" the scaling, the current 2 subs yet manageable but even the last savage sent the Bulls line over the sane limit. If it just starts where it left off, predictions are hard to make.

(Though at this point I feel confident in good finish if only can play basic points in all remaining subs)

Florida had 5k point last time I looked at it, I didn't play it yet either, maybe 2 nodes.
  • wirius
    wirius Posts: 667
    Options
    Deimos12 wrote:
    If by working as intended you mean encouraging the most devoted players to vacate the game then sure scaling is working as intended. Not a very stable system for long term growth though. Kind of puts an expiry date on player growth

It doesn't put an expiry on player growth, all it means is that you can't win all the time forever. The reason why we love the game is because even as lowbies, we could win in our bracket. You only do that by ensuring that people the game's competition is appropriate for your winrate. If you're winning all the time, that means someone else is losing all the time. People losing all the time will cause people to leave.

A devoted player won't mind wiping their roster and burning health packs to give up on placing in the high end a time or two. My scaling hasn't reached silly proportions because I'm careful not to win too much, or decide to lose on functions that don't benefit me that much, and I play repeatedly.
  • wirius wrote:
    It doesn't put an expiry on player growth, all it means is that you can't win all the time forever. The reason why we love the game is because even as lowbies, we could win in our bracket. You only do that by ensuring that people the game's competition is appropriate for your winrate. If you're winning all the time, that means someone else is losing all the time. People losing all the time will cause people to leave.

That's some really weird thinking. When I had * and later ** teams I never thought I am to get first places -- and "win" for me was placing in ** cover, the covers then one ***. I had several full **s before thinking to win PVE brackets of 200.

And in PVP I barely ever get top place though I could with my current roster.

Slanting the field so greenies can get first places is just against any sense in a strategy/progression game and part of the braindead design -- or just one of the usual slips.

And we suggested millions time over that it's possible to create brackets so to put differenly evolved rosters separate and competing with each other for relevant prizes. Either automatically or by player selection up front. Allowing *s to actually win top place and get good triplet of ** covers or a bunch of heroics. While endgamers could fight for **** or pre-nerf diabolics.
  • Phantron wrote:
    At the individual level you can certainly afford to take it easy if it turns out you've a significant lead on top 2. The only problem with this event is that nobody has any idea of where their relative standing is in the main bracket due to the staggered sub bracket finish time so I guess everyone is assuming for the worst. For all we know reckless could end up winning #1 by a margin of 2000 points, but there's no way she could possibly know at this point due to the way the sub brackets are staggered.

Now when you bring alliance into the picture it gets a bit murkier since you may indeed have to keep on pushing for a good alliance score but that's part of the competition.

Well..u can see top ranked order's player's scores in a sub at any time by looking at alliance tank and clicking the score though. So in this situation..I could tell where she was at.

That said, the point is still valid as that only accounts for 100 players from 10 orders...more depending on your alliance rank. Still hardly accounts for everyone likely in the top of a given bracket
    You can tell where I am now, but even if I'm 2000 up, there is no way of knowing if the guy in second place in my main bracket is in a sub-bracket where someone has ground so much that Mr. Second Place has untouched nodes that will give him 5000 in his next clear. Not all sub-brackets are equal. Davecazz just took first in his Alaska sub-bracket with over 7000 points. The leader of my sub-bracket i sat 6349, and nobody else has crossed 6000. Or Mr. Second Place may not have even done his first clear of Alaska while I have. He could have massive points stockpiled and there is no way to know.

keep in mind I've been grinding harder than most people in this event. I should have stopped at 6.2k but I am trying to drive the rubberbanding up so we get a chance at the torch cover.

the main is misleading in that someone who starts their subs early will look like they are farther ahead than those who are using rubberbanding to catch up at the last minute. I would check your main bracket at the end of each sub, then you can get a feel for who is legitimately above you. if someone rises in between or a couple hours after a sub opens, then they probably aren't a threat.

One thing to realize though, is that point gains in each sub add up in main, so in order to rise up, you have to make sure you bank more points than your competition at the end of each sub. If you just climb to first and then move on you will probably not hold your position in main.