Most boring PvP to date!

1235»

Comments

• waywreth
    waywreth Posts: 303 Mover and Shaker
    I have one champed 4* - Hulkbuster, so I took him in with my champed Iron Fist. While I ran into may 5* teams, with the skip tax only being 5 ISO, I had no issue with skipping those. I found plenty of teams my level (although basically nothing easier) and was able to make the 500 points. I got attacked once (which I won +11), and lost once to an Ice Man/IM40 team that managed to get 12 blue by the 2nd turn.

Overall, I thought it was interesting and look forward to more changes to events.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    SnowcaTT wrote:
    I've been joking with folks that the PVP's are -always- (4*/5*) - (Irrelevant character [loaner or 3*]) - (4*/5*). With some push-back! I've started to figure out why...

AW, IS THERE ONLY ONE OTHER CHARACTER INSTEAD OF TWO THAT TRIGGER OML TILES ALL THE TIME?!?

More evidence that OML is way OP and needs a nerf.

I've had way more problems clearing PHX and IM46, even Surfer than I have OML this PvP.

You keep screaming from the rooftops, even though the people who actually have all the characters in the tier say he's not even top 5.

Agreed - OML was much easier when he didn't have a third person firing his abilities!

And of -course- the folks that have all the characters say he's not great. But guess who doesn't have all the characters? Almost everybody! And guess who has OML?

Again: I scream from the rooftops because CS handed out so many covers of OML early to SOME but not ALL (ahem). I bet if CS had handed me an OML early on, when my draw rate was God-awful (but I hadn't been paying....) I wouldn't be screaming from the rooftops that you see OML -everywhere- (because extra folks got some!) and you see other characters much, MUCH less.

Of course, I wouldn't be screaming because I wouldn't be using health packs in PVP or PVE. I'd have a (Trump voice) HUUUUUGE advantage over much of the playerbase due to his hideously broken true healing - which if removed, would make him not such a big deal and you wouldn't see him everywhere.

Or, you know, fix that MMR thing so maybe folks see something other than OML.
  • nonnel
    nonnel Posts: 128 Tile Toppler
    I liked that they tried something new. Could it have been different, sure, but then folks would find something else to complain about
  • PorkBelly
    PorkBelly Posts: 533 Critical Contributor
    It was a good idea but didn't work well, in practice.

I'd like to see another attempt in the future where certain pairings received specific benefits.

For me, it was just champed OML/Phoenix teams after the seed teams.
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2016
    scottee wrote:
    MMR might just be messed up because many people punched above their weight class during the off season events. I know it always happens after Balance of Power, but not sure about the off-season PVP's we had.

I would love to see a team that punched above their weight class. Maybe they shielded early (3 days?). I started 6 hrs in to the event, climbed to 400 ~ 1 day in, got smacked down to <300, and I can't see anyone that's worth more than the retaliation.

I'm not a big player, but even I know this event is jacked up.

This is the classic "rich get richer" scenario from the game's past. Us little fish can't compete because we can't even compete against each other. We have to try our luck fighting down Jaws and spend 3 health packs per match just to face Jaws again.

I've got some good stuff out of anniversary, so I can't complain too much. If the other events are like this, there's no way I make the anniversary 10-pack. If the next event is even remotely similar I won't even try. I know when to stop banging my head against the wall. The blood's already there.
  • Arimis_Thorn
    Arimis_Thorn Posts: 541 Critical Contributor
    Yeah not only was it all OML/PHX all the time, but it was also almost exclusively members of my alliance or one of the XMen. I have a playable OML/PHX, but it simply wasn't fun. I couldn't even get to 400 points.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    There was virtual no difference here than any other vs event. I had no seed teams and faced dual 5☆ at or above my own from match 1
  • Please... never do this again.
  • halirin
    halirin Posts: 327 Mover and Shaker
    Fun change. Worth continuing to experiment with the format. There are a lot of good ideas about working with the pair theme more.
  • PhantomSniper
    PhantomSniper Posts: 8 Just Dropped In
    Ruinate wrote:
    I love it. Super fast matches and breaking through mmr was incredibly easy. Very awesome combined with double iso.

Totally agree
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 3,189 Chairperson of the Boards
    Calnexin wrote:
    I concur. I'm not at 5* level - 3* transition to 4*. All I see are boosted champed 4* and 6-9 cover 5*, worth 25-35 pts. Every match is a risk. I can't compete with that. I managed to get to 400 and then got squashed down to 270 in 4 hours.

I don't know how to progress in this situatioin. I can win (sometimes) against the teams I'm presented, at the cost of 2-3 health packs. I do that three times, then I get smashed down to fewer points than I had initially.

My experience was very similar to yours. I'm in the 3* transition and my highest boosted 3* characters for this event were all around 190. 9 out of every 10 teams I skipped had 2 characters that were in the 230-260 range. It took roughly 10 skips to find a team that had 2 characters under L200 and even those battles were 50/50's. I quit around 180 points (no seed teams for me) because it wasn't worth the ISO skip cost. The only upside was getting 2 anniversary tokens for reaching 100 pts.

KGB
  • dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2016
    Yeah not only was it all OML/PHX all the time, but it was also almost exclusively members of my alliance or one of the XMen. I have a playable OML/PHX, but it simply wasn't fun. I couldn't even get to 400 points.

I just don't know... personally I never saw any 4*s where I usually see at least a few 5*+4* and unchamped 5* teams during normal pvps, but I got to play against lots of teams I don't normally see - Goblin, Surfer, Black Bolt, im46. It was fun! Risky and often damaging, but refreshing.

I'm guessing they're normally a little outside my mmr, often with about 20+ levels on my bog-standard OML/PHX - why yes, I am a poor player and pull only classics and any latest I get from champing, ddq and vaults, what else could I have possibly used before our kindly overlords buffed Surfer? Quit complaining about my poor overworked babies.

I also saw people running combinations with Banner and Widow, but unfortunately they were friendlies and inconveniently not shielded. Only 5* who tragically never put in an appearance - Cap. Please buff him soon.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    I didn't play this one a whole lot, but it seemed promising. I ended up stopping because the MMR seemed more brutal than usual. Not sure if this is because more people were playing due to the anniversary or if only have 2 messed up the MMR calcs. I like the concept though. I'm a 3* player (30/40 champed, 0 4* champed) and I'm glad it wasn't restricted to specific pairings, that might have made it unplayable and/or made everyone see nothing but the same team vs only the top 5* people seeing that.
  • Mr_Sinister
    Mr_Sinister Posts: 356 Mover and Shaker
    Devil dino PvP is awful and should be buried in the deepest pit at the bottom of the deepest ocean earth has. **** devil dino.
  • chamber44
    chamber44 Posts: 324 Mover and Shaker
    PorkBelly wrote:
    It was a good idea but didn't work well, in practice.

I'd like to see another attempt in the future where certain pairings received specific benefits.

For me, it was just champed OML/Phoenix teams after the seed teams.
    You had seed teams? I spent 200 ISO skipping around until a found a team that *only* a level 350 Kingpin + Thing.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Devil dino PvP is awful and should be buried in the deepest pit at the bottom of the deepest ocean earth has. tinykitty devil dino.

Given the choice of 2v2 with awful MMR and fighting through 50k+ health Dinos with slightly less awful MMR....yeah give me 2v2 please.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    Maybe they should have a limit of one 5* for 2v2 matches. That would provide more variety.